Adjectives ending in '-ed' and '-ing'

Do you know the difference between bored and boring?

Look at these examples to see how adjectives ending in -ed and -ing are used.

I was really bored in that presentation.
That was a really boring presentation.

Try this exercise to test your grammar.

Grammar test 1

Grammar test 1: Adjectives ending in '-ed' and '-ing'

Read the explanation to learn more.

Grammar explanation

Adjectives that end in -ed (e.g. bored, interested) and adjectives that end in -ing (e.g. boring, interesting) are often confused.

-ed adjectives

Adjectives that end in -ed generally describe emotions – they tell us how people feel.

I was so bored in that lesson, I almost fell asleep.
He was surprised to see Helen after all those years.
She was really tired and went to bed early.

-ing adjectives

Adjectives that end in -ing generally describe the thing that causes the emotion – a boring lesson makes you feel bored.

Have you seen that film? It's really frightening.
I could listen to her for hours. She's so interesting.
I can't sleep! That noise is really annoying!

Here are some adjectives that can have both an -ed and an -ing form.

annoyed annoying
bored boring
confused confusing
disappointed disappointing
excited exciting
frightened frightening
interested interesting
surprised surprising
tired tiring
worried worrying

Do this exercise to test your grammar again.

Grammar test 2

Grammar test 2: Adjectives ending in '-ed' and '-ing'

Submitted by jwkei on Tue, 18/01/2022 - 02:50

This is a very nice context for who want to study grammar!!

Submitted by LayaGol on Fri, 14/01/2022 - 23:08

Hello! Thank you so much for such useful lesson! Can you tell me, please, which ending have I to add in this case "The idea of affordable green housing is a criticizing/ criticized topic, with some critics saying that it is a fallacy" It must be ending -ing, am I right? Or, maybe, I can use both variants? Thank you in advance!

Hi LayaGol,

It should be 'criticised' ('The idea of affordable green housing is criticised, with some critics saying ...). The meaning is that the idea is criticised by people (i.e., by critics).

Not all adjectives have both -ed and -ing forms. The word 'criticising' doesn't exist as an adjective, only as an -ing verb form.

I hope that helps.

Jonathan

Submitted by mustafaraad on Thu, 02/12/2021 - 16:56

remi say thank you

Submitted by hohuudong on Sat, 13/11/2021 - 02:29

thanks , it relly useful

Submitted by mediafnc on Mon, 18/10/2021 - 17:17

Learnt something new today - 'ed' adjective as the emotion and 'ing' as adjective to cause the emotion. Thanks.

Submitted by Juliana Dara on Mon, 16/08/2021 - 11:08

Thanks, its a good test.

Submitted by EdithF on Fri, 30/07/2021 - 16:24

9I´m surprised how easy this lesson was. :)

Submitted by Ivan50 on Sun, 27/06/2021 - 06:15

It was really interesting lesson.

Submitted by Hussainhxh on Mon, 12/04/2021 - 19:24

Really confusing

Submitted by Zhanbolat on Fri, 12/03/2021 - 14:30

I don't have any money. Would you add new exercises for poor people

Submitted by Zhanbolat on Fri, 12/03/2021 - 14:25

Please Add the new answers. Thank you

Submitted by Maahir on Tue, 09/03/2021 - 20:57

Dear learnenglish team, You're really doing great for helping us improve our English skills. But, I was just wondering how can I identify the lessons I have taken to avoid confusing about where I am.

Hello Maahir,

We don't keep a record of which pages have been visited or which tasks have been completed by each user. Perhaps one day we'll add this functionality, but for the moment you'll need to use your own memory or keep your own records.

Submitted by Maahir on Tue, 09/03/2021 - 20:53

Thanks for this. Such contents are really helpful and interesting.

Submitted by tamsayed on Tue, 16/02/2021 - 10:06

I really interested in grammar lessons

Submitted by IMRAN HOSEN on Sun, 24/01/2021 - 18:33

When the abj end with ed it's describe someone feeling or emotion and other think It's cause of emotion or feeling understand this think but some it's make me confusing.

Submitted by mostafa99 on Sun, 24/01/2021 - 04:32

it was a really interesting lesson. Thanks a lot for it.

Submitted by Leila77 on Tue, 19/01/2021 - 09:31

Clear explanation with many examples! Thanks for this lesson.

Submitted by Honey June on Wed, 13/01/2021 - 11:56

This lesson is really great and helpful to me.I. clearly understand your explanations about the difference between "ed" and "ing". Thank u for your clear explanations.

Submitted by rational1 on Sun, 10/01/2021 - 17:29

Hello! You said adjectives plus ed plus ing .So, the question is here , why there are some adjectives we do not add ed or ing for them? For example - ill , angry , sad and so on .Thanks .

Hi rational1,

The adjectives with -ed and -ing are made from verbs (e.g. bored and boring come from the verb bore; annoyed and annoying come from the verb annoy).

But not all adjectives are like this. Some adjectives aren't made from verbs, like the examples you mentioned.

Does that make sense?

Jonathan

Submitted by Ngu Wah on Sun, 10/01/2021 - 13:47

I'm interested in this website that is very interesting for me.

Submitted by Theint Theint Phyo on Wed, 30/12/2020 - 03:25

I really interested about this grammar.

Submitted by zeineb on Tue, 29/12/2020 - 12:48

The lessens are very helpful, thank you very much.

Submitted by Madhushree on Wed, 23/12/2020 - 17:12

Thank you so much for this exercises.

Submitted by frknakgn on Mon, 21/12/2020 - 15:01

Thanks for these explanations and exercises.You're helping too much students all over the world

Submitted by Maria19 on Mon, 21/12/2020 - 08:56

Thank you for your great lessons.

Submitted by Hlaingbobo Win on Wed, 16/12/2020 - 05:29

I think that " -ed" is for living and "-ing" is for things. Am I right?

Hello Hlaingbobo Win,

That's not quite right. You can use both forms with people and things.

The difference is this: adjectives ending in -ing describe how a person or thing affects others, while adjectives ending in -ed describe how a person or things feels or is changed.

That was a boring film. I didn't enjoy it.

Paul is interesting. I like listening to him

I have a broken computer so I can't send you the document.

Do you have a working computer? I need to send an email.

Submitted by vanessa Rodri on Sat, 12/12/2020 - 02:00

Your lessons are the best, they never make me bored.

Hi vanessa Rodri,

That's great! Thanks for your kind comment :)

Jonathan

Submitted by LUIZ ANTONIO on Sun, 06/12/2020 - 15:58

Thank you again, The Adjectives list is very helpful,

Submitted by zabiullah on Sun, 29/11/2020 - 17:21

so confusing. sometimes i am interested in to do more tasks to keep our mind so much time...

Submitted by Rissa on Tue, 24/11/2020 - 02:55

Thanks, British Council. The lesson is very helpful. But I wonder, Is there any list of adjectives that only use -ed or -ing?

Hello Rissa,

I'm not aware of any such list. In fact, I can think of many adjectives which are neither -ing or -ed, but very few adjectives which only occur in one form, such as hardworking. There are also examples where the -ing form is not an adjective at all, such as misunderstanding, and the adjectival form is a past participle (misunderstood - an irregular form rather than the regular -ed).

Submitted by Ayuloraine sit… on Mon, 16/11/2020 - 03:26

so i was wonder about that end in "ed and "ing. is the adjective only for past?

Hello Ayuloraine sitanggang,

No, you can use these adjectives to speak about any time. It's usually the verb that indicates the time -- for example:

She was worried.
She will be worried.
She is worried.

Does that make sense?

Submitted by Khin Khin Htet on Mon, 09/11/2020 - 15:22

After I read and practice, I was clear this pattern. BC's grammar explanation is really easy to understand for learners !

Submitted by Shakeel on Wed, 28/10/2020 - 11:49

The lesson was very short but interested.

Submitted by June Pann Phyu on Sun, 25/10/2020 - 02:11

I am really confused about this pattern before this time but now I am sure clear. Thanks a lot BC.

Submitted by Moon Wathan on Thu, 22/10/2020 - 15:32

I think lessons are short. I suggest to have many lessons in here because we need to do more to understand this topic.

Submitted by Nurieta on Tue, 13/10/2020 - 10:40

I think lesson was short and very interesting!

Submitted by Wai Myo Aung on Tue, 13/10/2020 - 05:57

I was interested in this lesson as it wasn't boring

Submitted by polina1526 on Mon, 12/10/2020 - 17:31

This grammar rule seems quite hard for many language learners who often get confused which ending is needed. The explanation here is very helpful because it clearly shows not only the rule itself but also few examples of how to use it properly. And if you take the test that goes after the explanation, you will not have any troubles with adjectives ending in '-ed' and '-ing' again.

Submitted by CELSO JAYA CABRERA on Sat, 10/10/2020 - 00:33

I love it, everything is so intersting. Thanks God.

Submitted by taha_subaie on Sun, 04/10/2020 - 07:42

this is very interesting topic , i was confused before , but now it's crystal clear , thank you very much