A phone call from a customer

Listen to the phone call from a customer to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Junko: Hello, Junko Mori speaking. How can I help you?

Andrea: Hi, Junko, it's Andrea here from Red Band. I'm calling about our latest order.

Junko: Everything arrived OK, right? We got the delivery confirmation at our end.

Andrea: Yes, everything's fine with the order. I'm calling about the invoice and the payment terms. I need a favour.

Junko: A favour? What do you need?

Andrea: This is a little, er ... difficult, but I need an extension on the payment terms. I know they're usually 30 days, but we're having some cash flow problems. You'd really be helping us out if you could extend it to 60 days.

Junko: I'm not sure if I can do that, Andrea. We've got regulations at our end, and also have to manage our own cash flow.

Andrea: I promise this won't become the norm, Junko. Actually, I also want to place another new order. The same size order as last time. It's for an important customer and they pay on delivery.

Junko: I see. So your cash flow problem will be solved after this new order is delivered.

Andrea: Exactly.

Junko: That sounds good. Hold on, Andrea. Let me see what I can do. Yes, I think we can make an exception this time.

Andrea: That's great, Junko. I appreciate your help.

Junko: And we appreciate your business, Andrea. It works both ways.

Andrea: Thanks again, Junko. Can you send me a quick email confirmation of the payment terms extension?

Junko: Sure, no problem. We're happy to help you.

Andrea: Great. And I'll email you the new order.

Junko: Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it. Talk to you soon.

Andrea: You too. Goodbye.

Submitted by nancyvirginiare on Tue, 12/01/2021 - 19:32

Yes, if is an important customer i can make exceptions but for sure i will make follow up until he can solve his problems and come back to normal conditions business.

Submitted by Minh on Fri, 08/01/2021 - 18:06

Well, I used to make many favors for my customers, but this was a reason that we made problem. After they often postpone payment terms, and we had to face cash in my company. Rules are important thing in business, but every so often we need a flexible in work. Some of clients take advantage from you who are willing to give offer form them. Therefore, it makes a difficult decision when you want to help the same situation.

Submitted by marlio96 on Wed, 06/01/2021 - 21:19

I think if I have a business I have to take care of my clients, they are important, all of us have had problems any time and have needed help, for this reason I don't have problems making favors.

Submitted by Zhanerke on Wed, 06/01/2021 - 08:04

One of our important clients once asked to lend our product. Usually, we don't such things but decided to make an exception.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Wed, 06/01/2021 - 04:08

Yes.if customer is in the list of important then I can make an exception for that time. In business customers are main role play in successful business.

Submitted by yuyu on Tue, 05/01/2021 - 09:43

Yes, I do. I want my clients to be satisfied.

Submitted by Elham Barakat on Thu, 31/12/2020 - 00:19

It is good to do a favour, but occasionally this favour you do for people don't deserve. We must accept little exception, but no more. The more exception you make, the more mess exists.

Submitted by ManahinRuby on Sun, 27/12/2020 - 22:18

I'm sure i'm would do it because the important clients are very important to a successful business.

Submitted by Thinn Thiri Myo on Wed, 23/12/2020 - 04:35

Ever do favours & make expection is not OK, I think. But I can do sometimes favours & expection,who u are.

Submitted by Galit Avni on Mon, 21/12/2020 - 12:03

I asked a supplier abroad to send the goods by air, instead of by sea, in order to help my customer.

Submitted by hackmed on Sun, 20/12/2020 - 01:10

I can do sometimes expectations or favours , because I could myself need it one day.

Submitted by MShadow on Sat, 19/12/2020 - 11:35

Yes I will. Important customer is important for a reason! So if situation allows and I can make flexible arrange to my important customer, I will do so and we are likely to be in a intimate cooperation relationship in future.

Submitted by mario7576 on Sat, 12/12/2020 - 15:15

well, i can do a favor or exemption just for one time, sometimes we should be matey ,although we have to follow our regulations .

Submitted by LUIZ ANTONIO on Sun, 06/12/2020 - 22:26

Sometimes it's difficult to know the business terms but I was successfull in the task1.

Submitted by Nick62 on Mon, 30/11/2020 - 02:42

When you are in business it can happen that you have cash flow problems, so it is important that those who provide goods and services are flexible about payments.

Submitted by Cecilio Franzoni on Fri, 27/11/2020 - 14:56

Is important to understand to our customers, some times cash flow is a issue. but our business needs a good chash flow too.

Submitted by David_Tham on Thu, 26/11/2020 - 15:25

Yes, I ever do some special payment term for special client.

Submitted by DJ Singh on Wed, 25/11/2020 - 07:42

I am far from business terms and tactics but sometimes I made exceptions in my daily life which is not my cup of tea but I challenge myself to do the things I have never done or difficult to do.

Submitted by Helena Clever on Sun, 22/11/2020 - 16:51

I'm totally an art person who doesn't understant what economy and business are. But, however, I know what the difference betweer customer and supplier after the lesson!

Submitted by foch04 on Thu, 12/11/2020 - 14:18

I have never been a business man and never had a deep commercial relationship with somebody or organisation. In the case that has been given things would depend on how high the confidence is which we carry out to our counterpart.

Submitted by Jorge Fabricio on Sat, 07/11/2020 - 16:08

Important excercises to know, How can to help a customer.

Submitted by masia on Fri, 06/11/2020 - 21:28

I think give a favour an important client it will be a good idea, because that is useful for both company.

Submitted by John A. on Tue, 27/10/2020 - 09:34

It's always good to build a relationship of trust with customers

Submitted by marian96 on Fri, 23/10/2020 - 22:13

Submitted by Karim.Karim on Wed, 21/10/2020 - 16:55

Yes, I've been worked for an employment agency. There was some payment late by our clients in another countries so we have been making exceptions.

Submitted by Elbay on Wed, 21/10/2020 - 08:12

I am currently working as Accountant and I wanna say that favours are good for both sides,but if you overdo it for your customers it does not matter they are loyal customers or new customers you will get problems in the future with management.Because it is a waste of time for company to "play" with cash flows of the company for customers frequently.If you wanna establish powerful company you need to keep down amount of recevibales from your customers.

Submitted by AprilApple on Mon, 19/10/2020 - 16:27

As a student, I haven't had any business of my own nor have worked in a company but, I have had some experiences in purchasing chemicals, equipment and consumables for the laboratory and for my studies. Based on my experiences of purchasing and payment, some companies do extend the payment based on regularity of purchasing, prices of items or quantities of items purchase. I think is important to give some exceptions provided the customer is a regular customers and honest, so that customers will be happy and will come back to contribute to the business again next time.

Submitted by cesartorresh16 on Sun, 18/10/2020 - 23:11

Yes but I think it would not depend on me, if not on my boss. First, I would ask if we can do a favor to a client, and giving her answer would be done.

Submitted by Leo Mandujano on Sun, 18/10/2020 - 03:50

I would do the same, because it´s important to give a back up to the clients, but it depends on the benefits the organization has, because in this case both parts were benefited, but there must be situations where it could be risky so you can´t do the same.

Submitted by Fernando Pardo… on Sat, 17/10/2020 - 00:46

I don´t know if it´s a favour but when I used to work in a family bussines, a client forgot his cellphone, I noticed about that so I took it, I wait a call asking for it and finaly I received the call and I told her that her cellphone was in the bussines so she can pass and pick her phone up.

Submitted by vsanchez75 on Fri, 16/10/2020 - 13:23

Yes, when you see the historical of your clients maybe you can make some exceptions It allows to grow up the trust each other.

Submitted by tittoo11 on Fri, 16/10/2020 - 09:00

I learned new meanings of some vocabulary such like cash flow, extension. It was useful lesson.

Submitted by Francisco Malagón on Wed, 14/10/2020 - 03:56

Never to new customers Maybe for old customers, with all conditions and payments plans

Submitted by Deisi cruz on Tue, 13/10/2020 - 23:05

If they are reliable customers to whom I have already done that kind of favor there would be no problem because I would already know them, but if they are new customers there would have to be some way for me as a company not to lose and to ensure their payment.

Submitted by juan felip on Tue, 13/10/2020 - 01:20

It seems very important to me to be a simple and cordial person capable of understanding the needs of others, taking as a position and condition that of the client as long as this favor is completely necessary and that it does not risk the integrity of him or me.

Submitted by nialataria on Sat, 10/10/2020 - 10:37

There are exceptions to every rule )) She has good problem solving skills. I learned new words such as favour, extension and cash-flow.

Submitted by mcambindo22 on Thu, 08/10/2020 - 23:18

Yes, it is important to back clients up, but depends on the trade-off and if the benefit that I receive from my client is better than my opportuny cost. According to the audio the first order was enormous and the second was the same, and both orders represented a bigger benfit.

Submitted by narcisa on Tue, 06/10/2020 - 21:29

If we can we always make an exception for same trusting clients.We are appreciating there effort to call us and make an agreement.

Submitted by ssyeem2012 on Mon, 05/10/2020 - 21:05

yes i did so many times .cause if you need to maintain a good relationship with your client sometimes you must need to make some exception & do some favour for them.

Submitted by angelcherrylina on Fri, 02/10/2020 - 10:46

I can't ask this question, because I am only a student, but I suppose that in the future I will make exceptions and do favours, because a real life is unpredictable, so all people periodically meet difficultes. I think it is very important not to be indifferent and to help out people if it is neccessary. But you should be careful and accurate, because there are some people who can deceive you, so you should exactly know you can trust a customer.

Submitted by KainattAli on Thu, 24/09/2020 - 07:13

Yes I will favor important customers.

Submitted by alimelic on Tue, 22/09/2020 - 09:09

I do it if I work with good customer.

Submitted by cittàutopica on Mon, 21/09/2020 - 17:22

I can't answer this question, because I don't work in the sale's sector, but I think doing favours or making exceptions for important clients are an understandable conduct by the companies.

Submitted by ErnestoV on Sat, 19/09/2020 - 05:16

I think it deppends of my boss. I would ask first him to know if we can do a favour.

Submitted by Maha Eltayeb on Fri, 18/09/2020 - 12:44

Yes i can do it if it's passible

Submitted by Josapc3 on Fri, 18/09/2020 - 02:10

Well,I think it's possible make some exceptions with a customer but firts, you have to see what kind of customer is it. For example: if is a regular customer with a good payment record, you can make an exception even you can offer extra credits or discounts to fidelized with your services.

Submitted by Malopez on Tue, 08/09/2020 - 23:54

Most of the time I prefer to receive the payment in the time that was agreed, but in some occasions I have made some exceptions. This is something that is really appreciated by the customer. In my company we have strict payment terms because the monthly operation depends of the punctuality in payment invoices.

Submitted by katyatorres on Wed, 02/09/2020 - 02:13

I think that I can do a favour or make an exceptions when the terms do not affect me or the company.