A phone call from a customer

Listen to the phone call from a customer to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Junko: Hello, Junko Mori speaking. How can I help you?

Andrea: Hi, Junko, it's Andrea here from Red Band. I'm calling about our latest order.

Junko: Everything arrived OK, right? We got the delivery confirmation at our end.

Andrea: Yes, everything's fine with the order. I'm calling about the invoice and the payment terms. I need a favour.

Junko: A favour? What do you need?

Andrea: This is a little, er ... difficult, but I need an extension on the payment terms. I know they're usually 30 days, but we're having some cash flow problems. You'd really be helping us out if you could extend it to 60 days.

Junko: I'm not sure if I can do that, Andrea. We've got regulations at our end, and also have to manage our own cash flow.

Andrea: I promise this won't become the norm, Junko. Actually, I also want to place another new order. The same size order as last time. It's for an important customer and they pay on delivery.

Junko: I see. So your cash flow problem will be solved after this new order is delivered.

Andrea: Exactly.

Junko: That sounds good. Hold on, Andrea. Let me see what I can do. Yes, I think we can make an exception this time.

Andrea: That's great, Junko. I appreciate your help.

Junko: And we appreciate your business, Andrea. It works both ways.

Andrea: Thanks again, Junko. Can you send me a quick email confirmation of the payment terms extension?

Junko: Sure, no problem. We're happy to help you.

Andrea: Great. And I'll email you the new order.

Junko: Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it. Talk to you soon.

Andrea: You too. Goodbye.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Hello rerre,

Grammatically it would not be wrong and it would make sense. However, certain phrases are simply more commonly used by convention and the continuous form is generally used. A common alternative would be 'It would be a great help'.

If you check the transcript you'll notice that we use would rather than will. This is a more polite way of expressing the same thing in this context.

Hi Peter, Thank you for your explanation! It was very helpful. rerre

Submitted by Sharif Tayyebi on Mon, 04/05/2020 - 21:44

I have studied criminal law. This is a great and very enjoyable dispute between philosophy of law that the rules should be flexible or they should be constant or fixed. In spite of those dispute, I should say that the rule constancy has many experimental and useful function. Firstly, it helps people to know about their rights and obligations. Secondly, it will become our habit and we would act very well and without any problems by the rule consistancy. Thirdly, managers and other people cannot behave illegal against customers. And so on. But we should be more flexible is a necessary in our lives especially in business. A good rule or law is that can manage our lives and allows some sensible exceptions which are necessary.

Submitted by Sharif Tayyebi on Mon, 04/05/2020 - 21:18

Thank you so much for this nice website, but I ask for downloading the audio if it is possible!

Hello Sharif Tayyebi

You're very welcome! You can download any of the audio on our website (but not video). It's easiest if you use a computer -- just right-click on the audio player and then choose the 'Save audio as' option.

Let us know if you have any trouble with that.

All the best

Profile picture for user cjrodriguezc

Submitted by cjrodriguezc on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 15:57

I am an evaluation manager, so different evaluation consulting firms and independent consultants submit to me their products under certain contracts. Just a few of them have requested some exceptions in terms of new dates to present the expected deliverables. Most of the time, considering the timely submissio of previous deliverables and the need to get quality products, I have accepted their requests.

Submitted by lualopezbe on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 01:26

I think the rules is makes for help us, but sometimes the rules can interfere, so, in this cases we can do one exeption. For me is reallly importan be flexible and act with intelligence and common sense in this way we can modify the rules in some specific cases.

Submitted by aiyahya on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 00:31

If I am a supplier, I would make favor to my strategic clients. I will do my best to get their loyalty by giving them exceptions in price, payment terms and what they need without cause harm to the organisation.

Submitted by Ronake on Tue, 28/04/2020 - 23:59

I think you have to allow the extension , only for customers that you know well. Your loyalty customer, you have to be sure that they will pay you and don't make trouble in your cash flow.

Roles

• anonymous user role (no expiration)

Submitted by roi0581 (not verified) on Mon, 27/04/2020 - 20:54

Yes, I extended a terminal payments to my friend for a year...
Profile picture for user nicolam998

Submitted by nicolam998 on Mon, 27/04/2020 - 12:25

I don't have a my activity and I don't manage customer directly. Anyway I think that it is useful helping customers if you can do it. In fact if you dont help the customer he could have serious issues and this situation could compromise his future business also with you.

Submitted by Maddalena on Sat, 25/04/2020 - 19:31

Well, I can't really answer the question because I don't have a company and I'm not a supplier. I just can imagine what I would do or not. I think it depends on the amount of the order. Maybe I could make en exception if the order is not very big and expensive. It also depends on the costumer, I mean... if he's a reliable one, why not ! We have to trust more the people, even if sometimes that's not easy !

Submitted by abushehab56 on Sat, 25/04/2020 - 01:57

of course, but with consideration for other customers without damaging them

Submitted by riquemecone on Sat, 25/04/2020 - 01:07

I do not have a company as well. But, in my point of view it is very important to do favours or make exceptions for important and not important clients, but these attitudes shoud not be recurrent. Good luck to everyone and be safe.

Submitted by Marin on Fri, 24/04/2020 - 20:08

I have learned some new words as a supplier but apart from that it has been very easy to understand since I have understood everything and it has not been a very long audio as it has not been very heavy.

Submitted by Isaac Pedraza 3rE on Fri, 24/04/2020 - 11:14

This listening wasn't difficult to me. I could follow the listening perfectly and the vocabulary was not very complicated. The activites were short and simple.

Submitted by ademyonet on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 17:53

Exactly, I did a favour for important clients. For example, a my customer had cash flow ten years ago. He was very hardly, so we helped him. He paid about after two years. Two years ago, an another customer wanted us payment terms extend. we accepted but he didn't do what he said.

Submitted by Masas on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 01:42

I don't have company so i can't answer this question,but bit as general i did a lot of favours until this moment be the way when you do a favour for someone you are feeling that yourself hape. Notice: If i have some mistake own my massage please correct me .

Submitted by Eva Villaverde on Wed, 22/04/2020 - 14:14

It was not difficult for me to follow this audio and it has helped me to expand my vocabulary. The activities have been quite easy although I was wrong in one. Next time I will repeat this level until I get 100%.

Submitted by Mary Sullcahuaman on Tue, 21/04/2020 - 15:40

Hello, everyone! I have just registered to this course. After a long time I am a student again and I am so happy. Well, in reference to the question, I am not a businesswoman but in a daily basis I do favours and make exceptions. It makes you feel good when you help people.
Profile picture for user JuanManuelLopezGil

Submitted by JuanManuelLopezGil on Mon, 20/04/2020 - 23:58

Of course but first, they must understand that not-always will be so.

Submitted by Guwen on Mon, 20/04/2020 - 14:22

I don't have any clients. But in the future, if I need to make exceptions and do favours, I will surely do if it's for an important and regular client. I think it's a good way to improve loyal relationship between clients and suppliers.

Submitted by SANDRA YINNET on Sat, 18/04/2020 - 17:10

Hi, in my company es very frecuencly that aor costumer we need exceptions with your orders, or delivery or send of your products, is very commun that they request our help any moment, in our country is important we have happy a our clients for the competence is big.
Profile picture for user Kadir

Submitted by Kadir on Fri, 17/04/2020 - 20:09

I was trying to understand to improve my listening skill. These audios helped me very much. At the beginning I didn’t understand the speeches. I could do text practices all correctly but my listening was bad. They were too fast for me. Because, firstly I was trying to translate it in my mind to my native language. Meanwhile, the speakers were continuing to talk. It was too hard. Then I started to listen to A1 audios first, then listened again and again. Then I tried to write the dialogues which I heard. And day to day, I started to understand better than the previous times. Nowadays I am listening to B1 audios. That’s very fast compared to A1. I recommend to everyone who tries to improve English. Firstly, don’t be afraid of to learn a foreign language. Secondly, listen, listen, listen and listen… Thirdly, try to write the dialogues which you heard without looking at the transcript. Then compare the text you write with the transcript. You will see that your skill is improving. Meanwhile I have some advice for English citizens. :)) Please don’t say “I’ll, you’d, they’ve, she’ll etc. Say I will, you would, they have, she will etc. That’s easier for us to understand. :))

Submitted by Albalera on Fri, 17/04/2020 - 17:30

This listenig was easy for me. I did the exercise 1 and 2 very well. For the next time I will choose the next level of listening. However I learned some new vocabulary related to the money. It like it

Submitted by Marc García 3rdE on Fri, 17/04/2020 - 10:41

I think this listening was easy for me because I did it ver well. I also did both task 1 and 2 and I put the answers all correct. For the next time, I will choose a listening a bit more difficult. However, I learned some new vocabulary related to the money and deliveries. It was fun.

Submitted by Nova on Thu, 16/04/2020 - 18:27

I did a lot of favour to my customers.Even they didn't paid the previous invoices, they made a new order.

Submitted by Ahmed Salem on Wed, 15/04/2020 - 21:13

For sure , I did a lot of favor to my clients.
Profile picture for user gstavale

Submitted by gstavale on Wed, 15/04/2020 - 03:43

I don´t have any opportunity to do favors or make exceptions for important clients

Submitted by Nazra on Sat, 11/04/2020 - 11:54

No, I don't. It's really helpful. Thanks.

Submitted by Wadoodp on Fri, 03/04/2020 - 14:30

I don't have any clients:)

Submitted by Elliot on Wed, 01/04/2020 - 22:19

Hello, how can I add the answers for the Task 2 ???

Hello Elliot

When you want to add another sentence to a box, you have to click or press on the small white hand at the side of the word already in the box. If you don't do this, then the new world will stay but the old word will disappear from the box.

It's a little difficult to explain, so please let me know if you'd like me to explain it again.

All the best

Submitted by ducminhdang123 on Wed, 01/04/2020 - 15:12

"You'd really be helping us out if you could extend it to 60 days." What is the grammar of "Would + be + helping"? Thanks for your help, everyone!

Hello ducminhdang123,

Modal verbs like would are followed by the infinitive, but there are different forms of the infinitive:

You would help (bare infinitive)

You would be helping (continuous infinitive)

You would have helped (perfect infinitive)

Submitted by Ginapepa on Mon, 30/03/2020 - 22:32

sure, I made a lot favor to my clients like I have changed the days of our meetings or sometime I have accepted to canceled it

Submitted by noentropica on Mon, 30/03/2020 - 00:55

I never made an extension with important customer because i don't work with costumers. I worked a few years like waitress and i could allow to costumer to pay another day o more later, like a favour but without oficial payment terms.

Submitted by theguest22 on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 13:10

Hello, I have question about this sentence ( we've got regulations at our end) 1. That tense is use in this sentence? 2. why don't use , we going to get instead we've got

Hello theguest22

The verb 'have got' in this sentence is in the present simple; it means the same thing as 'have'. It's grammatically possible to say 'we're going to get' instead of 'we've got', but it means something different: it refers to the future and it speaks of receiving ('get') instead of having ('have got').

All the best

Submitted by Kinki on Wed, 25/03/2020 - 06:49

Thanks for yr support

Submitted by Sergio F. on Wed, 25/03/2020 - 01:11

In times of COVID-19 a lot of Companies will need to make exceptions. God bless us!
Profile picture for user Hoàng Nhung

Submitted by Hoàng Nhung on Fri, 20/03/2020 - 07:51

Yes I do. I used to make exceptions for important clients anytime they want to change a advertising schedule.

Submitted by jason2295 on Wed, 18/03/2020 - 00:09

Yes, I do. Our clients usually ask for favours and they ask for exception of the term, but only if we can do that exception and it doesn't affect the normal activities.

Submitted by Sara on Mon, 16/03/2020 - 12:28

In my work, i'm trying to not make any differences between the different customers but sometimes i'm like come on just for once I can do a favour no ? And I'm saying to myself if I was at their place I will be very disappointed if someone refused me to make a exception especially if it's the first time.

Submitted by Ammaraf on Sun, 08/03/2020 - 07:45

Actually yes since I am working as Contract engineer, I am in poison where can I give a favor to the suppliers and sub contractors, but only those whose need a help not the lazy people.