A Plastic Ocean: a film review

Read a review of the film 'A Plastic Ocean' to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text
Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

B2 English level (upper intermediate)
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Wed, 22/04/2020 - 22:37

I would recommend 'A Plastic Ocean".

Submitted by nour92 on Mon, 20/04/2020 - 18:16

I loved the article very informative and made me excited to watch the documentary

Submitted by begumoz on Thu, 16/04/2020 - 13:33

I would like to recommend a documantary called "Minimalism" that is about what the term the minimalism is, how we can live more likely the lifestyle, also what we have benefits after change our lifestyle. I think live minimal are related to reduce using plastic. If we want to save our world, we have to change our habbits. You can watch this documantary on Netflix Platform. I hope you enjoy.

Submitted by jazmin marquez on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 11:54

I would like to recommend a documentary called "La sal de la tierra" or "The Salt of the Earth" in English, which is very dramatic because it stress on the negative effects of human acts in every place, at every step. The film was made with the Brazilian photographer Andrés Salgado. They reflect on the international conflict, famine, migration and other problems on the five continents. Salgado makes us think that the supposed evolution that the world has had during the last 40 years, is nothing more than the setback of humanity. Finally, the documentary is on Netflix.

Submitted by Joanagr96 on Wed, 08/04/2020 - 19:28

Normally I don’t wact documentaries but the last documentary I saw, it was about Auschwitz.

Submitted by ligma on Mon, 30/03/2020 - 10:56

um this is possibly fake bacause the goverment kind of fakes these things (like the moonlanding) and i dont think that my plastic bags formed a island in india and blue whales cant exist because ther brains is soposedly bigger than ours but i dont see them as our overlords or anything alsow say my name. otherwise this is a good article to learn english on. : )

Submitted by Nguyễn Ngọc Hưng on Sun, 29/03/2020 - 04:42

What an useful article !

Submitted by ნანა on Sat, 28/03/2020 - 23:41

Hello everybody. I am so glad to have a chance study in "britishcouncil". There are a lot of documentary films. Today I watched "Red balloon" I would advise to see that film.

Submitted by msp2123 on Sun, 22/03/2020 - 20:17

I think governments should take lots of measures if we really want to save our planet, because all the effort some people are doing means nothing when there are lots of individuals that pollute the environment whithout any regrets.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Mon, 09/03/2020 - 16:45

I have seen a bit of documentary films, therefore, can't recommend one of them.

Submitted by jose enrique on Sat, 07/03/2020 - 18:26

well, I think that we are destroying our world, we need to take action because the consequences could be catastrophic. we government should take action now.

Submitted by alsayed on Tue, 03/03/2020 - 23:01

In relation to ( spoiler alert ) , Does it mean -revealing a hidden secret? Does it collocation or just expression ?

Hello alsayed,

Normally, a spoiler is something which can ruin somebody's enjoyment of a film or a book. For example, if you were reading a book and somebody tells you how the story ends then you would probably be annoyed because not knowing the end is part of the enjoyment. When somebody is about to give information like this they often say 'spoiler alert' to warn others to stop reading or listening if they don't want to know that kind of information. It's very common in film reviews, for example.

Sometimes people say 'spoiler alert' in other situations. It's a humorous way to tell someone that you're going to tell them how something ends. For example, I might say this:

I had a car accident a few years ago. Spoiler alert: I didn't die!

It's a joke, because the person I'm speaking to knows I didn't die.

Submitted by joluhe_seisvi on Tue, 04/02/2020 - 16:20

I learned a new word with this reading that was stagger. Besides, I´m concerned about pollution in the ocean.

Submitted by kawa on Thu, 30/01/2020 - 21:21

plastic can release detrimental chemical effects and thereby causing the death of many species, due to its role in contaminating the water. In my country, many supermarkets began the campaign of stopping selling plastic bags and replacing them with textual bags, which I find it a good step for the next generation to get accustomed to such bags.

Submitted by Sanja on Wed, 22/01/2020 - 10:34

Plastic is a huge problem. We all have to take part in cleaning the Earth. In my country, there is a maxim: "At first, clean your own yard." I think, we all need to follow that.

Submitted by Fikymaulana on Mon, 30/12/2019 - 12:07

Nowdays, plastic became the main of evironment issue in my city. And peoples are start to reduce of plastic usage with changing their habbits to buy mineral water which a plastic package particulary plastic cup package. And peoples stars from their home with bring a tumblers instead.
Profile picture for user Alice RWL

Submitted by Alice RWL on Sat, 07/12/2019 - 10:38

Dear learningenglish team, I have some questions. 1. Should it be "drink bottles" or "drinking bottles"? and 2. In the third paragraph, the article says ... "there are beautiful shots of the seas..." The question is "sea" is an uncountable noun, isn't it? Why in this context they use "the seas"?

Hello Alice RWL

Both 'drink bottles' and 'drinking bottles' are collocations that people use, but in most usage, there is a difference between them. 'drink bottles' are the bottles that contain a specific drink (e.g. a soft drink, green tea, sparkling water, etc.) in them, whereas 'drinking bottles' usually refers to the kind of bottles that people buy to avoid buying the kind of single-use plastic bottles that are found in the ocean.

'sea' can be a count or uncount noun -- follow the link and you'll see examples of these two uses.

All the best

Profile picture for user Steve Zarv

Submitted by Steve Zarv on Thu, 05/12/2019 - 05:38

I would certainly recommend watching the documentary-style interview called "The loneliness epidemic" by the youtuber Matt D'Avella, who throughout a 20-minute video, sustains a conversation with a neurologist regarding the origins of this epidemic, as well as the factors that might have boosted its spreading through a framework of a technological and biological analysis to finally address it the consequences that may come along with an isolated lifestyle that plungs people into a dismay from which not everybody can escape.

Submitted by Amor2016 on Wed, 16/10/2019 - 17:52

Hello, this topic it's so important nowadays, despite of be a very serious problem the politicians who are the responsible of our welfare, it is supposed, they do not anything to solve this problem. However, we can be the people who help the planet, may be recycling; will have been much than these gobernators.

Submitted by Dilnaz on Tue, 08/10/2019 - 06:43

I think the issue of the ecology of our planet is very important. Young people are now striving to protect the planet from pollution and plastic. Nowadays more and more plastic is trying to replace environmentally friendly materials. And I support them. For example, plastic bags are replaced by eco shoppers and so on. And I want to protect our planet.

Submitted by temirkhan on Tue, 08/10/2019 - 06:42

This is a great article about the plastic ocean because the author describes the problem of waste well. In fact, this problem is global in nature, since it causes great harm to society. Despite this, many people are inactive, since this problem does not concern them. Moreover, if this problem is not solved then in the future it may become unsolvable. In the end, solving this problem is our main concern.

Submitted by Aibota on Tue, 08/10/2019 - 06:28

I believe that pollution is a major problem in general and this problem has to be solved by everyone.I really liked the fact that the text mentions not only the problem itself, but also its solution.It's a pity, of course, that the animals are suffering because of it.

Submitted by Abubakir Azamat on Tue, 08/10/2019 - 06:23

Pollution is the introduction of contaminants into the natural environment that cause adverse change. Some of the images are scarring, seabirds’ stomachs bloated with plastics, baby turtles ingesting plastic bags and children playing atop satiated landfills where they are forced to live both

Submitted by Salauat on Tue, 08/10/2019 - 06:22

The deleterious effects of plastic debris on the marine environment were reviewed by bringing together most of the literature published so far on the topic. A large number of marine species is known to be harmed and/or killed by plastic debris, which could jeopardize their survival, especially since many are already endangered by other forms of anthropogenic activities. Marine animals are mostly affected through entanglement in and ingestion of plastic litter. Other less known threats include the use of plastic debris by "invader" species and the absorption of polychlorinated biphenyls from ingested plastics. Less conspicuous forms, such as plastic pellets and "scrubbers" are also hazardous. To address the problem of plastic debris in the oceans is a difficult task, and a variety of approaches are urgently required. Some of the ways to mitigate the problem are discussed.
Profile picture for user Caterina Siligardi

Submitted by Caterina Siligardi on Tue, 01/10/2019 - 18:06

Everyone already knows that the health of our earth is really painful. Our heart cries when sees how much of beauty is raped every day. The governments speak but do few facts. The business of rubbish is huge. But we everyone can do something in our daily life. There is need for a little attention and responsibility.

Submitted by Alizia on Mon, 30/09/2019 - 16:01

Hello everyone. I have sawn this docomentary in Netflix last month. It's very strong to see the animals with the stomach plenty of plastic.

Submitted by Shahzad7412 on Tue, 03/09/2019 - 19:45

This article is great and induce attention to the biggest pollution problem in the world. In my country pakistan government take action in this problem and stop the use of plastic bags and banned making of plastic bag.

Submitted by Tin Zar Hlaing on Fri, 30/08/2019 - 19:01

I want to learn about deforestation and such as currently amazon large fired.
Hi Tin Zar Hlaing! Your country has an interesting name. Can you tell me more about it, pls?

Submitted by Amelia_Bennet on Mon, 19/08/2019 - 08:46

Great article with great problem in it. Nowadays plastic and pollution are one of the most dangerous and important issues. It's a pity, that not everyone understand how huge is this problem. If you think that 'I dump this ones in my life and nothing will happened' - you are not alone! On Earth there are a lot of people who thinks the same! And than we have what we have done. Think about your behaviour, your actions. Hope we'll come up with something..

Submitted by isnupi on Wed, 17/07/2019 - 10:50

Hello, Kirk Thank you. Best wishes, isnupi

Submitted by isnupi on Fri, 12/07/2019 - 17:48

Will someone tell me, please, what is actually meant by "discussion"? Whom do I discuss with? Many thanks.

Hello isnupi

The idea is that you can make a comment that answers the discussion question, or, if you are in a classroom with other students, you could speak about the Discussion question with a partner. You can also ignore the Discussion questions if you prefer, of course.

All the best

Submitted by Winterson on Wed, 19/06/2019 - 02:06

Nowadays, in my country, many people use less plastic bags; but, it has been dificult.

Submitted by Sarah-njzh on Sun, 19/05/2019 - 03:01

pollution definitely has a disastrous result in our human life. nowadays more and more people realized this problem and they had took some actions to protect the ecosystem environment. In china, there are so many films about pollution.in this year there is a document fiction film about human disaster, wandering earth. I think it made a shocked impact on many people.

Submitted by Gusalita on Wed, 15/05/2019 - 08:57

Had the same problem; text did not appear. Just turn off your ad-blocker and the text appears.
Profile picture for user Nisar Khan

Submitted by Nisar Khan on Fri, 10/05/2019 - 04:33

where is the PDF file?
Hello Nisar Khan, We are currently doing a lot of work on various pages on the site and not all pages have pdf files. These may be added in the future, time permitting. ~ Peter The LearnEnglish Team

Submitted by lephuong on Thu, 18/04/2019 - 11:17

Dear admin , I pressed on the bar " reading text" but nothing appear , just a picture of a sea dog .
Hello lephuong I'm sorry you're having trouble reading the article. I would recommend that you update your web browser or that you try a different web browser to see if you can read the text there. This page is working, but it could be that some older browsers don't display the text. If you're not able to do that, we plan to add a PDF to the page in the next few weeks and you could read that once it's available. If you could tell me the operating system, web browser and browser version you are using, I'd be grateful so that we can look into a possible solution to this problem. All the best Kirk The LearnEnglish Team

Submitted by GIMENA on Sat, 13/04/2019 - 22:36

Related to the topic I would recommend the film Trashed with Jeremy Irons.

Submitted by Mélissa84 on Wed, 10/04/2019 - 11:28

The last documentary I've seen is : blue. It makes you discover animals living in ocean as if you were part of this ecosystem and also sensitize to be aware about the protection of animals living in seas and oceans.
Profile picture for user Margherita De Luca

Submitted by Margherita De Luca on Fri, 05/04/2019 - 14:49

I had the same problem about the text, but I have fixed that using another browser. Anyway the topic was really interesting and I'll definitely watch the documentary on Netflix as soon as possible. There is too much plastic in the world, unnecessary most of the times. We separate waste to help recycle but it isn't enough, we have to reduce the source. Once we were used to keep and reuse over and over again our stuff, we have to remember that. Anyway, I love documentaries because they let you find out new contents and make everything more impressive thanks to images. Usually I like historic documentaries.
Profile picture for user hamaka

Submitted by hamaka on Thu, 04/04/2019 - 12:34

Hello Kirk, I have the same problem when trying to find the reading text. I tried different browsers: Chrome and Firefox and the result was the same. Thank you,
Hello hamaka and AL-Mustafa First of all, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. We have used a new way of displaying the text on this page to make it more attractive and very much want to find out why it's not working on your devices. Could you please tell us what browser versions you are using? To find it in Chrome, press the three small dots (in the top right corner), then choose Help, then choose About Google Chrome. In Firefox, press the three lines (in the top right corner), then choose Help, then choose About Firefox. In the meantime, we will prioritise creating the PDF for this page and add it as soon as we can. Thanks very much in advance for your help with this. All the best Kirk The LearnEnglish Team
Profile picture for user AL-Mustafa

Submitted by AL-Mustafa on Tue, 02/04/2019 - 14:25

I can't found the reading text for this .
Hello AL-Mustafa The reading text should display if you click or press on the bar that says 'Reading text'. I've checked and it is working, so if you can't see it, I would recommend using a different web browser or device to see if you can read it there. If not, please let us know what browser version you are using. One last option will be to download the PDF of the page, but I'm afraid we haven't finished creating it for this page yet. Sometime in the next few weeks, there should be a PDF for this and all the other pages in our Skills section. All the best Kirk The LearnEnglish Team