A team meeting about diversity

Listen to a team meeting about diversity to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Nina: As you know, our team has grown a lot in the past year and we feel we need to address the diversity in the team.

Brenda: How do you mean, 'address the diversity'?

Nina: Well, we all know that diversity in teams is a good thing, but it can also be a challenge for some people to respect and value people's differences. We've got a really diverse team here – people of different nationalities, backgrounds, religions, ages … and sometimes I don't feel we make the most of this.

Stefano: Yes, and even if it isn't specifically challenging, many people are simply unaware of the isolation that some team members may feel because they are different.

Brenda: So, what does this mean? What are we going to do?

Nina: Well, we need to create a workplace charter. You know, one that promotes equality, diversity and inclusion.

Brenda: That sounds like a good idea. But will people just see it as something the management team has created? Maybe they won't even pay attention to it.

Nina: I know. That's why we're going to involve everyone in creating it.

Stefano: That's a good idea. We could run some workshops and get ideas from the employees about how we can create a more inclusive workplace.

Nina: Exactly. I was thinking that before that we could run some team-building sessions so they can experience the value of diversity for themselves.

Brenda: Yes, I like that. Many people see diversity as something negative, often because there are different opinions or ways of doing things.

Nina: Yes, I know, but if there's no diversity, then the risk is that we all work in the same way, think the same and see the world the same. This makes it hard to be creative and to innovate.

Stefano: I completely agree, Nina. OK. So, what do you want us to do?

Nina: Stefano, can you look for a successful trainer who specialises in running workshops and team-building sessions on diversity and inclusion?

Stefano: Sure. I'll be happy to.

Nina: And Brenda, can you find a fun venue? Somewhere that is quite diverse itself. Something that's not the usual seminar-style environment?

Brenda: Sure. That'll be fun.

Nina: And I'm going to do some further research into how other organisations are benefiting from their diversity. I can share this with the whole team.

Submitted by kenana ali on Sat, 10/10/2020 - 12:58

I think diversity is necessary as Nina said, but some times it doesn't positive because everyone maintains its view

Submitted by mcambindo22 on Fri, 09/10/2020 - 00:31

Even though the humanity have envolved, it is still possible to find team works very closed; however diversity represent the best gun for a work team because there are a set of thoughs and experiences that come from people with many nationalities, ages, gender, etc, that could be harnessed, so is easier to innovate and increase the performance.

Submitted by Lmsalasj on Mon, 05/10/2020 - 17:54

My group teamwork is very diverse, because has equality of genero and responsabilities for members. I think is benefit to positive and negative coments respect to one idea specific.

Submitted by gabibb on Thu, 01/10/2020 - 21:00

I'm not working for a company with some diversity yet, but possibly I'll have culture exchanges through my college. Its so exciting that there are a lot of people with different backgronds working on the same objects...

Submitted by ana cerqueira on Tue, 29/09/2020 - 10:19

How diverse is your workplace? How can diversity benefit your team? Nowadays, I´m working at house because the pandemic covid,“homeworking” is the name for it, so diversity is an usual in my company. The employees has to many idea’s and thinking with different ways. Same needs to working in the place specific and others at home, some like use formal wear and another’s more informal, some need´s silence and others noise. This is the diversity, some people need the different things and stuff for innovate and be more production. The company’s needs to prepare the charter for the employee. He need to be happy for your job, because him happiness is the value for created more development and money to the company.

Submitted by Sulagna Das on Tue, 15/09/2020 - 16:26

I live in a country which is diverse in itself. We have so many languages, cultures and religions. My workplace is full of diversity with people all across the country. Everyone shares a good bond amongst themselves. But there are people who feel isolated and keeps very quiet.

Submitted by zozo on Mon, 14/09/2020 - 15:36

I live in country that diversity is something norm ,without this variation in cultures and backgrounds we wouldn't have such an unique society.

Submitted by pilargarciach on Sun, 30/08/2020 - 11:08

In my workplace diversity is good. The diversity benefited the teams because each individual of the team has different perspectives and ideas that improve the projets with their experiences and expertise.

Submitted by danisep on Tue, 25/08/2020 - 20:43

At the moment I'm not working in an office, but I think diversity is cool, and knowing different ways to see reality through people with different cultures and perspectives is interesting. We have to see diversity like something good with respect and ethics.

Submitted by MARIANO_HB on Mon, 17/08/2020 - 16:56

My company has been promoting last years an inclusion and diversity environment. It has invested much money to support all kind of communities, employees and beliefs.

Submitted by Asni on Sat, 08/08/2020 - 21:43

Benefits of diversity in the workplace are numerous. First of all, it promotes the share of skills and cultures. Moreover, if all team members have similar background and same way of analyzing and solving problems, then there will be little creativity and working out issues and challenges the team might face won't be as fast as in a diverse group.

Submitted by IKEDA on Wed, 05/08/2020 - 20:05

I've been thinking diversity is an important key for creativity or innovation though, unfortunately, I didn't have any chance to work in diversity. Now then, I'm feeling diversity with this course!

Submitted by cassiamattos2013 on Fri, 31/07/2020 - 21:08

I work in a small company, formed for little group people. But, the company is very friendly to diversity, equality, and respect for everyone. Some peoples word there is older or other nationalities.

Submitted by Hennadii on Wed, 29/07/2020 - 16:06

I used to work in a Chinese company once and that was a very interesting experience. Turned up we are completely different. We look at the same things at a different angle and it's not easy to accept at first if truth to be told. I remember I needed some time to adjust myself to work in a foreign company. And I'm not talking about necessity speaking in English all day but about cultural differences. Actually, I think the diversity is the way to the perfectness. To create something valuable you have to look at your job from all possible points of view, using all available experience and knowledge.

Submitted by fahri on Tue, 28/07/2020 - 11:43

Dear team. From the lesson above. Stefano: That's a good idea. We could run some workshops and get ideas from the employees. The question is: The word 'could run' in that sentence refer to the past or future??? (Because the workshop not done yet). As we know that: 'could' past form from can. We do confuse. Thank you very much for your answer.

Hello fahri,

In this sentence 'could' describes a possible future.

'Could' has several uses, including ability and possibility.

When talking about ability, 'could' is the past form of 'can'. For example:

When I was younger I could run a marathon. Now that I'm older I can't.

When we talk about possibility, 'could' refers to the present and the future:

Where's John?

I don't know. He could be stuck in traffic. [present possibility]

If we finished the project early, we could take the weekend off. [future possibility]

You can read more about modal verbs on these pages:

Submitted by fahri on Mon, 27/07/2020 - 16:16

Dear team. From the lesson above.  We've got a really diverse team here – people of different nationalities, backgrounds, religions, ages … and sometimes I don't feel we make the most of this. The question is : What does it mean 'I don't feel we make the most of this' ?? The word 'this' is refer to 'diversity' or something else?? Thank you very much for your explanation.

Hello fahri,

In this sentence, the word 'this' refers to the whole clause before: the fact that we have a really diverse team here...

When you say 'you don't make the most of something' it means that you don't fully take advantage of it or exploit its possibilities as much as you might.

Submitted by Nubis on Sun, 26/07/2020 - 03:51

The diversity in all place should´t be a discussion topic, but simply of the inclusion, there shouldn't be any kind of discrimination, all we are equality.

Submitted by Javad on Fri, 17/07/2020 - 12:12

Diversity in my country, especially ethnic and religious diversity is one of the biggest problem in different levels: political, social and geographically. Here is a lot of conflict on diversity. It is a very long time that international society is trying to solve the problem, but they haven't appreciable success. I learned a lot from this lesson and I will participate in this course very actively, in case of access to internet of course. Thank you
It is approximately a problem in each Islamic country.I have experienced it a lot I feel for you.

Submitted by abudo93 on Thu, 09/07/2020 - 18:20

The diverse in our workplace is less than what excepted, we're of the same religion, nationality, doctrine and language, but the only different is ages that made some problems between old and young workers. And the benefit is agreeable.

Submitted by Hn0062 on Wed, 08/07/2020 - 21:43

I am working in a bank, it has jobs diversity and domain diversity, it has a special venue for conferences. the job diversity causes staff always be happy and satisfied. They can promote each 2 year. there is sexual equality in there.

Submitted by AniDD on Mon, 06/07/2020 - 06:21

My work place is diverse, I have colleagues with different ages, nationalities, sexual orientation, religion. But this situation is good to me, every day in my work place is very interesting and funny. We discuss different types of topics, points of view and we enrich each other. Our company is very tolerant to all kinds of diversities. Diversity is absolutely needed and helpful for every company with big goals.

Submitted by WarleyP on Sat, 04/07/2020 - 23:47

Unhappily with this world pandemy i'm unemployed, but in Brazil usually the workplaces aren't thinked to provide a good feeling during the work, some higher companies have a good place to work, but it's not a rule.

Submitted by Fernando Belmonte on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 15:49

In my experience, I stay with open mind people that doesn´t care about the cultural, racial or etnical differences.. I have never seen in the school where I go an exclusion case or something similar. It would be a great propose to make a campaign of the liberties of people . (there is where could be included equality, diversity and inclusion).

Submitted by tchok on Wed, 17/06/2020 - 17:08

My workplace is diverse. We have two different nationalities from two continents Africa and Europe. It is useful because we have sometimes different approaches in order to solve a problem or to innovate. The aspect of the language is also a big benefit for our team.

Submitted by ishernandez on Tue, 16/06/2020 - 05:27

The diversity in my workplace is present, there are people with different religions, universities, and lifestyle, this situation makes a great impact on the team because the generate competence and with this the quality of the service that the consulting firm offer to their clients increase, but is important to mention that the opportunities inside the team are not the same for all team members, while there is diversity there is not equality and that's one of the most important thing we need to change, but the leaders don't do anything to improve and make a better place to work for all team.

Submitted by AlejoPB on Mon, 15/06/2020 - 18:10

Actually, my workplace is quite diverse, there are people of different social classes, ages even different sexual preferences, and our team is a great team, all tasks are easier and pleasant to do and we can discuss the many topics without no one kind of problems, as well as, we shared our different point of view freely.

Submitted by sorayajesus on Mon, 15/06/2020 - 10:05

My workplace is diverse. I have colleagues from different ages, religions, gender, race and political positions. I think that the diverse create more respect for different opinions and new ideas.

Submitted by Lizochka on Sat, 13/06/2020 - 19:39

My workplace right now is not diverse at all, because I work alone, but I think that diversity is one of the most important think that can good influence on teamwork on the whole! Diversity of races, ages, etc gives us opportunity to have a lot of new opinions, strateges, mindes based on diversity of background, life experience and etc.!

Submitted by Adri on Sat, 06/06/2020 - 15:27

I'm a student, but If I had one work place, I would like find a work that It's have respect and diversity values.

Submitted by Abuelisa on Thu, 04/06/2020 - 21:19

Fortunately my workplace is quite diverse, that is, we have colleagues from different ages, gender, religions and even political positions. From my point of view, diversity has been very beneficial to team work; this is meanly due to the exchange of ideas and acknowledges that we can do things in different ways.

Submitted by endre on Tue, 02/06/2020 - 23:17

I don't think diversity is a good thing. It exists, in fact. Identity, to find a common identity, that is our aim. That needs love. Love through offering.

Submitted by Sara85 on Tue, 02/06/2020 - 22:18

Diversity is very important any where , and let people share an ideas and cultures.

Submitted by Miho Watanabe on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 16:12

I’m a student, so I don’t work at workplace. But maybe, there are a lot of diversity in my college. My college has some overseas students studying in Japan and a lot of students from other prefectures. They have own opinion and culture etc. I think that such an environment broaden my mind.

Submitted by wido on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 23:22

Diversity is very important thing. I work in university we have many different nationalities we creat a good relationship and we know more things about there countries.

Submitted by senes19 on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 19:59

I think that diversity is not dangerous theme for workshops. It is important to include all our members to the process.

Submitted by mouna99 on Tue, 26/05/2020 - 13:59

Diversity helps in getting to know others cultures and interests, also its helps in learning from others and exchange knowledge

Submitted by Haider92R on Tue, 26/05/2020 - 11:11

Well .. for my concern the diversity is very important in the teamwork .. We can get a new ideas from different team members .

Submitted by vaniafed on Sun, 17/05/2020 - 13:45

Seems like diversity itself is a really big problem which needs to be solved. In my workspace there is no diversity, but If there was, I think the best way to solve it is to encourage best sides of our differences and tolerate the worse ones.

Submitted by Htet Min Khant… on Fri, 15/05/2020 - 13:50

Studying this lesson shows us how having diversity team is effective and profitable on our workplace.Individual ideas from diversity can create more innovations and the things that we share from our different experiences and backgrounds improve our skills properly.It also teaches the importance of listening others' visions.But,to avoid conflicts between staff,we all need to do diversity with the right way!!!!

Submitted by AMOUGOU Abega … on Sat, 09/05/2020 - 11:21

if truth be told, diversity can contribute in the well being of a team. because this create different viewpoints and different ways to resolve an issue. as far as I'm concerned my workplace has been blessed with peoples coming from different areas, having differents bakgrounds(specialities). and to make use of this our manager is having some workshops with us to ask about our needs, if everyone feel include and this participate in the more productivity of our team.

Submitted by FYfaby on Wed, 06/05/2020 - 16:05

Yes. The diversity is important in a team work. I think that all the opinion are important and I like different point of view.

Submitted by Masas on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 23:26

First thing: diversity is a good thing. Where I am working I don't feel any diverse ,for information, I 'm working away from my country ,we are working as team and respect all the values everyone for us ,if were about religions ,nationality,ages and backround .from my experience I guess that the diversity is very important for any workplace ,but we need to manage it in the right way .

Submitted by Tomofumi on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 01:36

Now is in the age which we cannot estimate what will happen in the future. That's why, we need to get the skill to cooperate with other people. Then, to respect the way of thinking, and life each other is required. Even in my workplace, there are a lot of ways of thinking, but Japanese people often hide their ideas to avoid competition. We should be talkative and positive!

Submitted by Dima Hraf on Thu, 30/04/2020 - 01:49

How diverse is your workplace? How can diversity benefit your team? When people ask me about complexity of my working place I always try to share with them my experience. Generally speaking, my work has dynamic process because it is trade. I have a lot of colleagues with different characters and positions and only because we treat our work and each other with respect it brings for us beneficial and effective results. I totally sure that diversity is an amazing advantage for a working process and for a team as well because atmosphere of diversity can help to develop and create new ideas for work.

Submitted by Merymoon86 on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 19:43

In my Opinion the diversity is really important so that you can get a lot of ideas that improve whatever place of work, for instance in my work I keep in touch with diferent countries people, so you can learn a lot things only their cultures but also their point of view.

Submitted by Naw Ring on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 05:16

That songs great. We could learn new experience if we are going through in the diversity community.