'as' and 'like'

Do you know how to use as and like correctly?

Look at these examples to see how as and like are used.

I worked as an actor for two years.
I went home early as I felt ill.
He looks as if he hasn't slept.
As you know, this is the third time I've had to complain.
He looks like his dad.
She's like a sister to me.
Try to do something relaxing, like reading a book or having a bath.

Try this exercise to test your grammar.

Grammar test 1

'as' and 'like': Grammar test 1

Read the explanation to learn more.

Grammar explanation

as and like are often confused since they can both be used for comparisons. There are, however, important differences.

Making comparisons

as + adjective + as and as much as

We often use the structure as + adjective + as or as much as to say if something has, or doesn't have, the same amount of that quality as something else.

She loves curry as much as I do.
He's not as tall as his brother.
It's not as expensive as the other hotel.
That dog is as big as that child!

You also have to use as in the expression the same as.

Your phone is the same as mine.
Texting is not the same as speaking in person.

like + noun

In the following comparisons, like is followed by a noun or a pronoun to say that two things are similar.

He's like a father to me.
She's acting like a child.
It's like a burger but with big mushrooms instead of bread.
There are lots of people like us.

It is also common to make comparisons using like with verbs of the senses.

She looks like her mother.
It sounds like a cat.
Nothing tastes like homemade lemonade.
It smells like medicine.
It feels like cotton.

as if/as though + clause

As if and as though can be used to compare a real situation to an imaginary situation. They are followed by a clause (a subject and verb).

You look as if you've seen a ghost.
I felt as if I was floating above the ground.
You talk as though we're never going to see each other again.

Giving examples

We can say like or such as to give examples.

You could try a team sport like football, basketball or hockey.
You should take something soft, such as a towel, to lie on.

Talking about a job or function

We can use as + noun to talk about a job or function.

I worked as a shop assistant for two years.
He used his coat as a blanket to keep warm.

as to connect two phrases

as can be used as a conjunction to connect two phrases. It can have different meanings.

as = 'because'

All the tickets were sold out as we got there too late.
As the road was closed, I had to park on the next street.

as = 'while' or 'during the time that'

She called as I was getting out of the bath.
As they were arriving, we were leaving.

as'in the way that'

As we expected, it started to rain.
As you know, classes restart on 15 January.
As I said, I think this project will be a challenge.

** Note that in informal speech, people sometimes say like for 'in the way that'.

Like I said, I didn't know her.

Do this exercise to test your grammar again.

Grammar test 2

'as' and 'like': Grammar test 2

Do you need to improve your English grammar?

Submitted by Raazg9894 on Tue, 28/07/2020 - 12:47

Hello English team, If possible, please tell me the difference between when and while. I would also like to know if we can use 'as' as a replacement for 'when'.
Hi Raazg9894, Both ‘when’ and ‘while’ have several meanings. I’ll keep to just time-related meanings here. WHEN 1. Two things at the same time: ‘When it is 10 p.m. in New York, it is 7 p.m. in Los Angeles.’ 2. One action follows another: ‘When I sent her a message, she replied immediately.’ 3. An action in the middle of a longer action: ‘When he called, I was studying.’ WHILE 4. Two long actions that happen together: ‘While the players were playing, the fans were cheering.’ 5. A longer action, with another action in the middle of it: ‘He called while I was studying.’ In the last example, it’s also possible to use ‘when’: ‘He called when I was studying’. But I would say the ‘while’ version is preferable. ‘While’ gives a stronger sense that the action (‘was studying’) went on for a period of time. AS We can use ‘as’ for meanings 4 and 5 above. We can also use it for a meaning similar to ‘when’, but there is a difference. ‘As’ suggests the actions are not connected, but ‘when’ suggests that one action caused the other. - As I entered the building, he left (by chance or coincidence). - When I entered the building, he left (because he didn’t like me). Have a look at this page from Cambridge Dictionary for more explanation and examples: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/as-when-or-while Best wishes, Jonathan The LearnEnglish Team

Submitted by Ujin on Fri, 17/07/2020 - 06:02

15-18 year olds spent twice as much time online as 18-21 year olds. Hello Sir, I can not grasp 'as' in this sentence above, though I understand the meaning to be wanted to say. Can we use 'as' as a comparison?

Hello Ujin,

When we want to show that two things are equal in some area then we can use the construction as + adjective + as. For example:

He's as old as she is. [equal age]

My daughter is as tall as my son. [equal height]

You can also use a phrase headed by an adjective:

Paul is as nice to talk to as anyone I know. [equally nice]

15-18 year olds spent twice as much time online as 18-21 year olds. [equal time]

Hello Sir, Thank you in advance for your time. The sentence above as you suggested that Paul is as nice to talk to as anyone I know. By my understanding, everyone I know is very nice to talk to and Paul is one of them, right?

Hello Ujin,

Your interpretation is almost correct. It means that Paul and all the other people I know are equally nice to talk to, but the sentence doesn't specifically say that all of them are very nice to talk to. Probably that is what the speaker means, but the sentence doesn't specifically say that.

Submitted by Julio Teixeira on Thu, 16/07/2020 - 09:43

I got 100%. Well done..

Submitted by SyllaAbc on Wed, 15/07/2020 - 19:31

I am Mr Sylla Mohamed from Guinea Conakry . I am very happy for this kind of training .

Submitted by Roaa Zaky on Mon, 13/07/2020 - 01:03

I feel a lot more confident speaking as I improve my grammar . I really think these practices are beneficial .

Submitted by Mohamed Mostafa on Sun, 12/07/2020 - 15:25

Hi, everybody, I worked as a civil engineering for many years. I enjoyed learning English with the British Council, as though I have never learned English before. As I found myself here, I should tell my friends about them.

Submitted by Dastenova Firuza on Sat, 04/07/2020 - 16:37

By doing exercises I renewed my knowledge about like and as

Submitted by Fernando Belmonte on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 17:14

I consider this lesson was useful as practical to use in my dairy life. What we should learn to improve our language skills and fluency when we coment or discuss are those words linkers.

Submitted by Fadwa Bakri Os… on Sun, 28/06/2020 - 14:43

thank you.

Submitted by onyeaguchachienye on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 20:06

Submitted by tchok on Tue, 16/06/2020 - 21:57

Thank you for your help.

Submitted by Shishirsharma on Sun, 14/06/2020 - 05:25

I have completed this test but i am literally confused in grammar 2 test question number 7 it is about insects and butterflies

Hello Shishirsharma,

In question 7 of Grammar test 2 the correct answer is like.

The sentence contains some examples, which is why like is used. For example, here is the sentence without those examples:

Many fruit trees need insects to help them produce fruit.

We use like to add examples:

Many fruit trees need insects like bees and butterflies to help them produce fruit.

Submitted by Alinestela on Wed, 10/06/2020 - 04:59

Hello, I already completed this lesson, I just have a doubt, Why the answer in question number 7 is "like" ? All my answer were correct but I just have doubt in number 7. Thank you!! :)
Profile picture for user Peter M.

Submitted by Peter M. on Wed, 10/06/2020 - 07:20

In reply to by Alinestela

Hello Alinestela,

I guess you are referring to the second exercise (Grammar test 2). The answer here is like because it introduces some examples. You can use like here or such as, but not just as.

Submitted by VERYKEYS on Tue, 09/06/2020 - 21:04

I feel very different after reading and practice this session as it changed my knowledge on how to differentiate AS and LIKE. Thank you guys

Submitted by Scommel on Tue, 02/06/2020 - 18:54

"And then the man he steps right up to the microphone , and says at last just as the time bell rings : thanks you goodnight now it is time to go home and he makes it fast with one more thing we are the sultans of swing"

Submitted by Mekhri Mahksetova on Sun, 31/05/2020 - 05:47

How it is good!! very easy to understand. thank you all who worked on it
Profile picture for user Aisha na Shadee

Submitted by Aisha na Shadee on Wed, 27/05/2020 - 21:33

You guys are realy awesome W'v been talking as if we knew each other years back. As I'm going back home I'll tell my people about your kindness and love to me. Thanks again and I hope you'll visit my country in the future.

Submitted by Chairul25 on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 12:40

Thanks for this free course and the detail that help me to understand the difference of using as and like, it's very useful. Thanks a lot.

Submitted by DW on Thu, 21/05/2020 - 02:57

Thanks for detail explanation for "as" and "like"! It is very clear and I find that it is very useful! Thanks!

Submitted by Janaemadd on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 05:38

Hi it's great I really enjoyed it.
Profile picture for user Sonam Dargay

Submitted by Sonam Dargay on Tue, 12/05/2020 - 17:12

Hi it's a great and enjoyed a lot. Thank you.
Profile picture for user Sonam Dargay

Submitted by Sonam Dargay on Tue, 12/05/2020 - 06:45

Hi, Kirk I have enjoyed a lot and hope to learn some more in future!

Submitted by Bharati on Tue, 05/05/2020 - 07:04

Hello Kirk, In the example sentences given on the website :- As we expected, it started to rain. As you know, classes restart on 15 January. As I said, I think this project will be a challenge. 1. Are "as" used as subordinating conjunctions in the above adverb clauses ? 2.I have seen that These type of uses including "as far as..... is concerned" are also used as conjunctive adverbs /sentence connectors . Can you please clarify the above confusion. Warm regards.

Hello Bharati

I'm afraid we can't help you with this. I realise that we have helped you and other users with this sort of query in the past, but I'm afraid we have are less and less able to provide this kind of private instruction, especially when the questions deal with such detailed sentence analysis.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

All the best

Submitted by MoussaSoumah on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 16:13

Thank you, l found it very clear and easy to understand.

Submitted by yuldus83 on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 17:59

I also found it very useful, thank you, guys!

Submitted by rabusrai on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 11:55

As I know, grammar is very important.

Submitted by Enzo Gabriel on Sun, 26/04/2020 - 12:48

I seldom see sentences using "as" as a word for "because."

Submitted by Bharati on Sat, 25/04/2020 - 08:44

Submitted by Abdulrazak Nuh Ahmed on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 14:56

Really, this has been helpful. Thank you teachers.

Submitted by CABAUR on Mon, 20/04/2020 - 03:19

Very helpful to remember the correct use of these conjunctions.

Submitted by Abuelisa on Sun, 19/04/2020 - 21:06

As I expected, this lesson has been very useful, thank very much teacher.

Submitted by Romii on Sat, 11/04/2020 - 11:14

Hello teacher! I have understood that "as if and as though" are used to compare a real situation to an imaginary one, but the question is, can I say "she replied to all the questions that were asked by the pharmacist as though she studied medicine"?

Hello Romii

It's hard for me to say without knowing whether the person you are talking about studied medicine or not. In any case, it would be better to say 'as though she had studied medicine' if you are imagining that she studied medicine before the time the pharmacist and this woman spoke. If you say this, it means that the woman ('she') did not study medicine.

If that's not clear, could you please provide another example and explain what is true and what is imaginary?

All the best

Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Fri, 10/04/2020 - 14:40

It's quiet helpful.

Submitted by ibra abdellaoui on Fri, 10/04/2020 - 12:22

hello , thank you for theese explanations, but it's still confusing for me ,may be i have to focus in more. thank you teachers and i m sorry for my english

Submitted by itspb008 on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 15:32

Sir can we use like in comparision of a real situation to a imaginary situation? such as It's feels like I'm floating in air. Is it correct or incorrect?

Hello itspb008,

Both like and as if can be used for comparisions to real and imaginary situations.

The difference between like and as if is one of form rather than meaning. In traditional grammars, like is a preposition and as (if) is a conjunction. That means that like should be followed by an object - a noun phrase or pronoun, for example, rather than a clause, while as (if) should be followed by a sentence containing a verb phrase. However, this distinction has largely disappeared in all but the most formal writing, I would say, and in modern English like and as (if) are used interchangeably.