Booking a table

Listen to someone booking a table in a restaurant to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi. Can I book a table for tomorrow night, please?

Staff: How many people is it for?

Jamie: Four.

Staff: And what time would you like?

Jamie: About eight, eight thirty maybe?

Staff: Let's see ... We're pretty busy tomorrow, so I can do half past seven or nine.

Jamie: Oh. OK, then. Half seven, please.

Staff: What name is it?

Jamie: Jamie.

Staff: J-A- ...?

Jamie: M-I-E

Staff: OK, so that's a table for four at half past seven tomorrow evening.

Jamie: Great. Thanks! Bye.

Staff: Bye.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi, I called earlier to book a table for four and I was wondering if I can make it for six instead?

Staff: Ah, what name was it?

Jamie: It's Jamie.

Staff: Table for four at half past seven. So you want to change it to 6 o'clock?

Jamie: No, sorry. Can I make it for six people?

Staff: Oh, I see. Sorry! That shouldn't be a problem. I can move you to a bigger table but it will be nearer the kitchen. Is that OK?

Jamie: No problem. Is it possible to change the time as well? Make it a little bit later?

Staff: Ah ... yeah, we can. Is eight OK for you?

Jamie: Perfect, thanks!

Staff: Lovely. See you tomorrow, then.

Jamie: Thanks! Bye!

Staff: Thanks. Ciao!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

A1 English level (elementary)

Submitted by Fatemeh.Najafzadeh on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 02:40

I like Italian restaurant, but I sometimes go to the Indian restaurant because I love spicy foods.

Submitted by DANIELAE on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 00:07

I like natural restaurants where I can find a Great variety of meals between the nature and Green zones.
Profile picture for user Santiago Perez

Submitted by Santiago Perez on Thu, 30/04/2020 - 17:45

My favorite type of restaurants are Colombian restaurants because I love to eat beans and different types of meats such as llanero-style beef, over-belly and steaks.

Submitted by Cristhopher on Thu, 30/04/2020 - 05:02

I love chinese restaurante, they are quite fancy and elegant, and also I really sharing different dishes with my friends. We like to eat boiled fish, rice, noodles, steamed vegetables, pork hotpot and especially, drinking jasmine flower tea. I also love the chinese breakfast, called dim sum. It includes baos, shu mai, sweet and sour chicken feet, springrolls and many others. It´s delicious.

Submitted by mrelvinaliyev on Mon, 27/04/2020 - 19:04

My favorite restaurant is any restaurant that serving fish foods

Submitted by Titi on Sun, 26/04/2020 - 12:53

well, actually there's quite a mixed variety of kind of restaurants in my country such as french restaurants, chinese restaurants and congolese restaurants. but i guess the most commonly used is congolese one because you can find them everywhere small and as well as big restaurants because of natural local cuisine for example cassava leaves, hot soup of a fresh fish with cassava,those plates have very unique taste so if i have to be honest i will probably say congolese restaurants are my preferable one and when i have some means i book a table for two persons i mean for me and for my fiancée.

Submitted by riquemecone on Sat, 25/04/2020 - 21:24

My favorite kind of restaurant is steakhouse. I do not go on a lot, because it is very expensive, instead I make my own barbecue at home with family and friends.

Submitted by konatenasty on Sat, 25/04/2020 - 15:47

My favourite foods are Indian,lebanese and African jolof.they are some of the best dishes.Very appetising.

Submitted by Christian on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 03:17

My favourite restaurant is one of Chinese food. I love this kind of cooking.

Submitted by will_wpo on Wed, 22/04/2020 - 16:59

I love the Italian restaurants. I usually go to the Italian restaurants in the weekend.

Submitted by Emirito on Tue, 21/04/2020 - 15:10

I love the arabian and italian restaurants. Besides, I like the Chinese ones

Submitted by mke99 on Mon, 20/04/2020 - 06:25

Hi everybody I like iranian and arabian restaurant.

Submitted by Ronake on Sat, 18/04/2020 - 00:35

Usually i like to go to restaurants that are serving a sea food, in my town there are only few of them, and you need to book it two days before . I enjoy eating sea food and spending time with my family.

Submitted by cittàutopica on Fri, 17/04/2020 - 18:25

There isn't, for me, a favourite kind of restaurant; there are some restaurants where I don't like go on, instead: for example I hate chinese food. However I enjoy Mediterranean cooking, but Nordic food also, whereas I dislike the junk food, as McDonald and other ones as this.

Submitted by Aisha Mohammed… on Thu, 16/04/2020 - 19:54

my favourite restaurant is any restaurant near the sea
Profile picture for user Natalice Santos

Submitted by Natalice Santos on Wed, 15/04/2020 - 20:02

I live in Cascais, Portugal. Here have a very nice food. I like fresh fish and a seafood, accompanies of a glass of portuguese with wine! Delicious!!!

Submitted by nguyenthihoanb0510 on Tue, 14/04/2020 - 10:50

my major is hotel and catering management, so I have to practice some conversation same that. i have worked as a waitress at the lackah restaurant since i lived in Hanoi. It's a wonderful experience.

Submitted by rima khaoula on Mon, 13/04/2020 - 14:53

I don't go to the restaurants in my state. but my brother brings us different kinds of food from its. I prefer the barbecued chicken with rice.

Submitted by Ali07 on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 20:51

Sometimes when I wont to eat outside, I usually go to some tacos or pizza snacks around here. However I prefer to eat what mom cooks at home.

Submitted by Azim Miraliev on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 14:16

I like Uzbek restaurant
Profile picture for user Hoàng Nhung

Submitted by Hoàng Nhung on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 04:50

My favourite restaurant is at a famous international hotel. This place is clean, fesh, pleasant and polite. There is many kind of food, I love that.
Profile picture for user Ezabakwé

Submitted by Ezabakwé on Tue, 07/04/2020 - 01:15

My favorite restaurant is HOT AFRICA

Submitted by ShahzaibLashari on Sun, 05/04/2020 - 20:17

My favourite restaurant is BUTT KHARAHI and SHANI KA SAWARAMA.

Submitted by Aya Sayed on Sun, 05/04/2020 - 18:41

Actually , my favourite restaurant is Macdonalds .

Submitted by Silambarasan on Thu, 02/04/2020 - 09:02

Wow, that's nice

Submitted by Saeidi_802 on Wed, 01/04/2020 - 13:53

I live in Iran. I like Iranian foods like Kabab at restaurants. All restaurants are closed because of coronavirus these days. I hope this pandemic will finish.

Submitted by Yuzana on Sat, 28/03/2020 - 13:32

I used to book a bar which always gives promotions on every Friday. Fried chicken wings from that bar are really delicious and I love to eat.
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Fri, 27/03/2020 - 11:47

My favourite kind of restaurant is British type.

Submitted by AlejandraIlud22 on Mon, 23/03/2020 - 02:20

My favorite restaurants are the Gray Cat, Buffalo Wings, Randys and Seafood Cocktail.

Submitted by Diana Avila on Sat, 21/03/2020 - 21:13

My favorite restaurant is the that is surrounded by nature or that is typical for its decoration and typical dishes

Submitted by Ahmet78 on Sat, 21/03/2020 - 04:11

here ,les reponses are false ı thinks.

Submitted by Lakbir othman on Fri, 20/03/2020 - 19:22

Hi everyone ; my favorite kind of restaurant is a vegetable with rice

Submitted by upendarreddy on Sat, 14/03/2020 - 17:00

i love vegetable food one of favorite restaurants is Neelgiri South Indian.It is near to my home and usually go to this place on weekends . It is a pure vegetarian restaurant we can get almost all kinds of breakfast such as idli, dosa,puri, chapathi, variety of food rice, pasta for lunch. deserts are ice cream, apple pie. prices are reasonable. buffet is also there but only on weekends between 11:00 am and 3:00 pm.

Submitted by Katie2602 on Sat, 14/03/2020 - 16:32

I like Korean' s restaurant. But actually I have never eaten this kind of food so far.

Submitted by HMida on Fri, 13/03/2020 - 14:08

My favorite restaurant is the asiatic food. I tried a china restaurant when I have been in France. It is very good

Submitted by Ali07 on Sun, 08/03/2020 - 14:47

Hi everyone, it's my first time that I contribute at British council. Firstly I wanted to thank everyone who are working on this platform, then my favourite food is Tajine with meat it's a specific Moroccan food ;)

Submitted by Gladys on Wed, 04/03/2020 - 21:06

I like restaurants where we eat hamburguer

Submitted by Jonathan BR on Mon, 02/03/2020 - 16:50

I like pizza and japanase food

Submitted by alexrinconr on Fri, 28/02/2020 - 22:29

I try to understand the audio, but there are some parts very fast. If you ask me about the percent that I understand perfectly, I said about 80%. What`s your percentage?

Submitted by Eswar on Sat, 22/02/2020 - 05:31

my favourite food is world's famous food hyderabadi Dum biryani.

Submitted by Kemo on Mon, 10/02/2020 - 16:36

I wonder if I can find someone to practice, speaking with.