'as' and 'like'

Do you know how to use as and like correctly?

Look at these examples to see how as and like are used.

I worked as an actor for two years.
I went home early as I felt ill.
He looks as if he hasn't slept.
As you know, this is the third time I've had to complain.
He looks like his dad.
She's like a sister to me.
Try to do something relaxing, like reading a book or having a bath.

Try this exercise to test your grammar.

Grammar test 1

'as' and 'like': Grammar test 1

Read the explanation to learn more.

Grammar explanation

as and like are often confused since they can both be used for comparisons. There are, however, important differences.

Making comparisons

as + adjective + as and as much as

We often use the structure as + adjective + as or as much as to say if something has, or doesn't have, the same amount of that quality as something else.

She loves curry as much as I do.
He's not as tall as his brother.
It's not as expensive as the other hotel.
That dog is as big as that child!

You also have to use as in the expression the same as.

Your phone is the same as mine.
Texting is not the same as speaking in person.

like + noun

In the following comparisons, like is followed by a noun or a pronoun to say that two things are similar.

He's like a father to me.
She's acting like a child.
It's like a burger but with big mushrooms instead of bread.
There are lots of people like us.

It is also common to make comparisons using like with verbs of the senses.

She looks like her mother.
It sounds like a cat.
Nothing tastes like homemade lemonade.
It smells like medicine.
It feels like cotton.

as if/as though + clause

As if and as though can be used to compare a real situation to an imaginary situation. They are followed by a clause (a subject and verb).

You look as if you've seen a ghost.
I felt as if I was floating above the ground.
You talk as though we're never going to see each other again.

Giving examples

We can say like or such as to give examples.

You could try a team sport like football, basketball or hockey.
You should take something soft, such as a towel, to lie on.

Talking about a job or function

We can use as + noun to talk about a job or function.

I worked as a shop assistant for two years.
He used his coat as a blanket to keep warm.

as to connect two phrases

as can be used as a conjunction to connect two phrases. It can have different meanings.

as = 'because'

All the tickets were sold out as we got there too late.
As the road was closed, I had to park on the next street.

as = 'while' or 'during the time that'

She called as I was getting out of the bath.
As they were arriving, we were leaving.

as'in the way that'

As we expected, it started to rain.
As you know, classes restart on 15 January.
As I said, I think this project will be a challenge.

** Note that in informal speech, people sometimes say like for 'in the way that'.

Like I said, I didn't know her.

Do this exercise to test your grammar again.

Grammar test 2

'as' and 'like': Grammar test 2

Submitted by Oung on Thu, 28/10/2021 - 18:53

Is there any difference between 'as it were' and 'so to speak'? Thank you very much!

Hello Oung,

The phrases are similar.

We use these phrases when we want to show that something we said is not necessarily literally true, or should be interpreted to be understood properly.

I can't think of any specific difference between them but it's possible that one or other of the phrases might be better in particular contexts.

Submitted by zoachristian on Thu, 28/10/2021 - 06:21

No comment, very instructive

Submitted by Samqaid on Wed, 27/10/2021 - 21:37

Thanks for your help.
I highly appreciate it.
You are super teacher as me.
I really have as much experience as you.
I have a proven skills and technical methods.

Submitted by akhn on Thu, 30/09/2021 - 05:33

Teachers, I'd like to know clearly about No.6 of Exercise-2. It stated, " I slept on the train, using my jacket ---- a pillow". I confused to fill "as" or "like" in the blank. Is the jacket a similar use like a pillow or the same use as a pillow? Pls.

Hello akhn,
In this sentence, the jacket is fulfilling the function of a pillow, so 'as' is the correct answer.

Submitted by Rahwa Gebrekristos on Wed, 18/08/2021 - 09:19

I love the exercise it was great!

Submitted by Rahwa Gebrekristos on Wed, 18/08/2021 - 09:17

Thanks a lot. It was a good practice for me.

Submitted by Mr.hanymabrok on Wed, 23/06/2021 - 05:47

Thanks a a lot. it was very useful lesson.

Submitted by Baljeet Singh on Tue, 04/05/2021 - 04:35

Done, liked it!

Submitted by Bernie Almeida on Wed, 31/03/2021 - 01:38

I love this web site such a great exercise they have!! It is a perfect web site and resource to learn English by yourself

Submitted by Maahir on Sun, 14/03/2021 - 08:53

Hi Teacher, Can I use both 'as if' or 'as though' in same context? f exmpl, can I say, you ate as if you will never have a pizza again you ate as though you will never have a pizza again. Thanks

Submitted by Anaitat on Wed, 10/03/2021 - 19:58

To be a master of English it's important to understand such lingual niceties as the correct use of the structures with 'as' and 'like': the grammar explanation – as for me – is supportive, complete, confirmed by illustrative examples, generally speaking is perfect.

Submitted by Glorien on Thu, 04/03/2021 - 06:02

hey! thanks for this lesson, i work as a teacher to understand using ''as'' and '' like'' .

Submitted by mynameiscg on Wed, 03/03/2021 - 11:59

Hello Sir, In English, do we say “ I don’t play basketball as well as he does” or “ I play basketball not as well as he does”? Thank you very much

Hello mynameiscg,

The first one is correct, and the second one is not.

Submitted by PLion2020 on Wed, 24/02/2021 - 19:45

Hello, thanks for your site. Is it possible to learn English self-study?

Hello PLion2020,

Most people can learn a lot from self-study. We've had users who reported making lots of progress by using our Skills and Podcasts, so I'd encourage you to check those out. You might also want to consider subscribing -- there are already hours and hours worth of materials available there, and every month we add more new materials there.

Submitted by flowerpower on Tue, 23/02/2021 - 13:00

Hi Teacher ! I'd like to know, if there is a spécific meaning if I use "as if" or " As thoug" for exemple : " You look as if you've see a ghost " , can I also say " You look as thoug you've seen a ghost" if there is a difference betwen "as if" and "as Thouh" what is the right way to use them ?

Hello flowerpower,

Aside from 'as if' being a little more informal, there is no difference in meaning between 'as if' and 'as though'. You could use either of them in that sentence and they'd both mean the same thing.

Submitted by MARUFA MARJAN … (not verified) on Fri, 19/02/2021 - 16:22

Teachers I'm totally confused about the structure of "as if".... I have read that we must use past tense after "as if" when we're taking about imaginary comparison, then why the above example "You look as if you have seen a ghost" is in present tense(present perfect) ???? Isn't ghost an imaginary thing? Or we're considering that it might be real?

Hello MARUFA MARJAN PRITHIE,

You're correct that we use a present form after 'as if' when we consider the situation true or possible, so 'as if you had seen...' is strictly the logical choice here. However, people are not always entirely logical and the speaker in this example is speaking as if it were true that ghosts exist. I can't say if they really believe in ghosts or if they are simply saying this for rhetorical effect.

So, it depends on speaker whether he/she believes in Ghost or not... Okay I got it, thank you teacher...

Submitted by Andrea Valencia on Sun, 14/02/2021 - 17:10

This subject is very important for a better writing

Submitted by Harry on Sat, 09/01/2021 - 04:57

Hello, Can I use comperative forms such as 'as more beautiful as, as easier as' instead of normal adjectives??
I am not sure,but I think it is not gramatically use as ..as in comperative case of adjective.I was taught as...as is used in normal degree. For example: i was as pretty as her or he is as tall as his father and so on

Submitted by ZIN MAR HTUN on Fri, 08/01/2021 - 02:47

He acts like he knows everything. They can't love you like me. Am I right?

Hello Zin Mar Htun,

Many people say 'He acts like he knows everything' and so it is correct from that point of view. It would probably be better to say 'as if' instead of 'like', though, since probably he actually doesn't know everything. As is explained above, we use 'as if' or 'as though' when comparing a real situation ('He acts') with an imaginary situation ('he knows everything').

The second sentence is not wrong, but it's a little unclear. It could mean 'They can't love you like they can love me' or it could mean 'They can't love you like I can love you'. I'd suggest you make the sentence more specific so that the meaning is clear.

Submitted by simonenmourao on Tue, 29/12/2020 - 20:41

Teachers, good afternoon I have a doubt at the exercise "Grammar B1-B2: 'as' and 'like': 2". The first sentence: She worked____ a journalist before writing her first novel. I put 'like', as the explanation of like + noun. But for my surprise it was..wrong. I did not understand. Can you explain it to me?

Hi simonenmourao,

Yes, as and like are a bit tricky :)

Like + noun is correct. But, like isn't the only word that is followed by a noun. We use as + noun too, especially to talk about a job or function. Here are some examples.

• I worked as a shop assistant for two years.
  • He used his coat as a blanket to keep warm.

Does that make sense?

Jonathan

Submitted by Han Thaw Htet on Thu, 24/12/2020 - 10:19

It is great to learn english as I get many things about English from this section.

Submitted by Gadfly62 on Tue, 22/12/2020 - 20:01

Hello, would you advise a student to start a grammar course or work through the grammar reference first. Both appear to have exercises. Should a student complete all the beginner parts within the grammar reference, for example, then complete the grammar course for beginners and pre intermediates then return to the grammar reference and complete the intermediate parts? After this would the student then complete the lower and upper intermediate grammar course then return to complete the advanced parts within the the grammar reference section? Thanks for any help and advice.

Hello Gadfly62,

There's no correct answer to this. It really depends on the individual learner. LearnEnglish is designed so that it can be used as a course, following a traditional level progression from A1 to C2, or as a self-access set of resources, which the learner selects from on the basis of their needs and interests.

The levels we have are intended only as guidance. They are necessarily generalisations and it's important to remember that each individual learner operates at a range of different levels: they may be very advanced in terms of reading and writing, but find speaking and listening very difficult, for example. Different learners have different needs, too: one person may need to be very accurate in writing for their job, which would suggest a focus on grammatical strutures, while another may need to be fluent without being particularly accurate.

I think the best advice I can give is for you to be aware of your own strengths and weaknesses, and to be conscious of your own needs. Use these to guide you and you will not go far wrong, I think.

Submitted by Edna on Tue, 22/12/2020 - 10:14

It's a really helpful test. Thank you so much.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Wed, 16/12/2020 - 06:43

is the backbone of any languages. BC is a great initiative for those who are interested in English language. I appreciate your work. BC 's team members are very supportive and they have work hard for students.

Hello Suraj Singh,

Thank you very much for your lovely comment. We try to help as many people as we can here on LearnEnglish and it's nice to know we are appreciated!

Submitted by Salva77 on Tue, 15/12/2020 - 17:22

Somebody knocked the door as we were eating. Is this correct?