Booking a table

Listen to someone booking a table in a restaurant to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi. Can I book a table for tomorrow night, please?

Staff: How many people is it for?

Jamie: Four.

Staff: And what time would you like?

Jamie: About eight, eight thirty maybe?

Staff: Let's see ... We're pretty busy tomorrow, so I can do half past seven or nine.

Jamie: Oh. OK, then. Half seven, please.

Staff: What name is it?

Jamie: Jamie.

Staff: J-A- ...?

Jamie: M-I-E

Staff: OK, so that's a table for four at half past seven tomorrow evening.

Jamie: Great. Thanks! Bye.

Staff: Bye.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi, I called earlier to book a table for four and I was wondering if I can make it for six instead?

Staff: Ah, what name was it?

Jamie: It's Jamie.

Staff: Table for four at half past seven. So you want to change it to 6 o'clock?

Jamie: No, sorry. Can I make it for six people?

Staff: Oh, I see. Sorry! That shouldn't be a problem. I can move you to a bigger table but it will be nearer the kitchen. Is that OK?

Jamie: No problem. Is it possible to change the time as well? Make it a little bit later?

Staff: Ah ... yeah, we can. Is eight OK for you?

Jamie: Perfect, thanks!

Staff: Lovely. See you tomorrow, then.

Jamie: Thanks! Bye!

Staff: Thanks. Ciao!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

A1 English level (elementary)

Hello U Kyaw,

Thanks for telling us, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience. We are working on a solution and the audio should be working soon.

Best wishes,

Submitted by Dastenova Firuza on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 14:55

I would like restaurants with helathy food and romantic music.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 14:22

Nowadays, I saw a group of people in a restaurant sitting at the same table with clear acrylic plexiglass shields. Somewhat weird...

Submitted by sara1412 on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 09:53

i like Indian food

Submitted by 7Elhoussaine A. on Fri, 03/07/2020 - 14:59

I don't like the food of the restaurant, I like home eating (:

Submitted by fatfat on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 22:01

I like Italian and Turkish food.
Profile picture for user A Yar Kyaw

Submitted by A Yar Kyaw on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 02:16

hello guys,i 'm Ayar from myanmar.i like thailand food and myanmar food.but sometimes eat pizza,barker. especially i like myanmar food 'mot hyin khar' which is at the side-walk shop in myanmar.this is very deliciou and yammy.
Profile picture for user EWS

Submitted by EWS on Tue, 30/06/2020 - 18:00

I don't have a favourite restaurant, I like foods for many countries
Profile picture for user Onur

Submitted by Onur on Mon, 29/06/2020 - 20:54

I am fond of Turkish cuisine. Therefore, I love the restaurants that serve Turkish traditional dishes such as kebab, döner etc.

Submitted by Helio Sigauque on Mon, 29/06/2020 - 00:33

How do I do to download these audios?

Helo Helio Sigauque,

I'm afraid the audio is not available for download on this page.

Profile picture for user Karan Narang

Submitted by Karan Narang on Fri, 26/06/2020 - 04:22

I liked to give this leasning test but when I heard the sentence of Audio I was confused that is "can I make 6 people fix it" could you help me about this sentence.

Hello Karan Narang,

The sentence is a little different. What Jamie says is this:

The phrases for four and for six refer to the number of people who will be coming - now there will be six people instead of four.

If you click on 'Transcript' then you'll see the whole text of the recording.

Submitted by cristianandres.16210 on Wed, 24/06/2020 - 18:30

I like Italian Food

Submitted by hangnt5 on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 03:34

I love all the restaurants where have delicious food. But my favorite restaurant is Vietnamese food. Vietnam food is diverse. I like Japanese food, Japanese food is pretty delicious. And I also like Italian food such as pasta, spaghetti
Profile picture for user Caterina Siligardi

Submitted by Caterina Siligardi on Sun, 21/06/2020 - 16:59

I keen on getting to pizzerias.

Submitted by Ragdaalamin on Fri, 19/06/2020 - 00:29

sea food with good seen to the sea

Submitted by joshnamep on Thu, 18/06/2020 - 16:45

I love side-walk restaurant, especially in cities, you can do sightseeing while enjoy your meal and it is more reasonable!
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Wed, 17/06/2020 - 16:29

I like Italian and Japanese food. They're way too different from our national food but I love it. Perhaps this is the reason - trying something unusual. I can eat pizza or pasta or sushi almost every day

Submitted by Ayawa on Sun, 14/06/2020 - 10:10

I like Korean food, it's so delicious. I think live in Korean like a heaven. I mean the food. Hmm, i want eat them everyday.
Profile picture for user Basar Huzni

Submitted by Basar Huzni on Mon, 08/06/2020 - 11:53

Hello, I am Basar from Kurdistan. My favourite kind of restaurant which has a small building and has very clean staff and the price of his food is not expensive, I mean very cheap :) And I like the Kurdish food specially Duhokian food.

Submitted by MAE on Fri, 05/06/2020 - 05:48

Definitely, I love Chinese food. Chinese food is pretty delicious! And I also love Italian food like pasta~

Submitted by Asni on Thu, 04/06/2020 - 14:55

Honestly, I don't have a favourite one, I like most of them. I haven't tried Indian food yet but I'd like to because I heard it is quite good and delicious.

Submitted by Ximix on Thu, 04/06/2020 - 11:29

Well, I like italian food. I think that italian food have something especially in itself. Their sauces, pastas and pizzas are delicious.

Submitted by MoutazAlotaibe on Wed, 03/06/2020 - 05:43

I like Indian Restaurant.

Submitted by Mamta Gusain on Sat, 30/05/2020 - 12:51

I love Indian food. so i prefer to go Indian restaurants mostly. i find there a wide variety of Indian cuisine with different tastes.

Submitted by Andres Armando on Sat, 30/05/2020 - 02:49

I love the Colombian food. So I prefer meals how bandeja paisa, seafood, corozo juice, and more.

Submitted by Nafis Mahdi Basunia on Wed, 27/05/2020 - 18:12

I like subcontinental restaurant..

Submitted by amal.araia on Wed, 27/05/2020 - 15:55

Mr favorite kind of restaurant is Habasha's restaurants. Their food is spicy and very hot, and the aroma reminds me of home.

Submitted by deya on Sat, 23/05/2020 - 21:06

i love class and calm restaurant, with delicious food of corse
Profile picture for user Ivanox76

Submitted by Ivanox76 on Fri, 22/05/2020 - 07:29

Hi everyone! I am from Peru, and I love my country food, my favorite dish is ceviche, also i like so much the Italian food, I love the pizza and the lasagna!

Submitted by Nsengir on Thu, 21/05/2020 - 12:46

I love Turkish foods. Because I am Turk. But I like different taste. For example American hamburger, Holland cheese, African steak... I guess I am hungry :)

Submitted by Laila Mutiara … on Wed, 20/05/2020 - 19:06

i love coffe shop. i do a lot of task in there

Submitted by mouna99 on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 14:24

I like asian restaurant

Submitted by Emily Mellor on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 09:39

I don't have favourite kind of restaurant . I like all restaurants that have delicious food. I usually love having hot pot and barbecue. It's my favourite food.

Submitted by JEANMi on Fri, 15/05/2020 - 12:43

My favourite restaurant is any restaurant that has delicious food.

Submitted by Isabel Meflo on Fri, 15/05/2020 - 05:32

I love Peruvian food

Submitted by alejaenciso on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 22:54

My favorite restaurant is Crepes and wafles. love it

Submitted by c.lopes23 on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 18:49

I love Japanese restaurant or the restaurant near the beach

Submitted by Milena1 on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 11:49

Well, I don't actually have a favorite restarurant, however I like Chinese food, ice cream and drink wine.

Submitted by Eduardo José d… on Mon, 11/05/2020 - 13:19

My favorite restaurant is the golden fish. The food there is very good

Submitted by joanna-liu on Mon, 11/05/2020 - 09:22

My favorite restaurant for Cantonese food . I go to restaurant about once a mouth with my family. I really like to eat shrimp ravioli and Seafood congee .

Submitted by v17amohsen on Tue, 05/05/2020 - 12:16

its very good way to handle the customer

Submitted by Hello from Russia on Mon, 04/05/2020 - 19:52

I would like seafood. I know the best restaurant with seafood. It's called "Ocean Basket". I advise everyone to try)
Profile picture for user Bignon

Submitted by Bignon on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 17:55

It usually cook African food at home. If I will go to restaurants it will be firsty African restaurants. I would also like to take breakfast at French restaurant to eat variety of cake.