A business interview

Listen to the business interview to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Presenter: Welcome to today's show. We're very happy to have Anna Oliveira as our guest today. Anna is the creator and founder of HomeworX – spelled with an 'x' we should note – an app which helps teenagers with their homework. Thanks for coming in, Anna.

Anna: Thanks for having me.

Presenter: So, tell us about your app. How does it work?

Anna: Well, teenagers and their parents have numerous challenges when it comes to homework these days. In many families both parents work and don't have much available time to help their kids with their homework. And even if they do have time to help, they may not be able to offer support with the content. What I mean is, they may not know, or at least remember, enough in any given subject to support.

Presenter: You mean they might not be able to remember complex maths or might have never studied certain subjects, such as biology or economics, themselves?

Anna: Exactly. So they might want to support their children with their homework, but have neither the time nor the knowledge to do so.

Presenter: I see. So the app helps solve this problem?

Anna: Yes, and more. The next issue is that tutors can be expensive, and there may be long waiting lists for specialist tutors in the town or region you live in. Our HomeworX app brings students and tutors together online. Students can search a database of pre-approved tutors and sign up for live online support. They don't need to be in the same town or city.

Presenter: That sounds really great.

Anna: It is. And this approach also enables us to offer the tutoring services at lower prices because there's no travelling time involved for the tutor to get to the student's home. And tutors who live in remote areas are happy to get access to more students, and be able to work from home, even at lower rates.

Presenter: This all sounds great. So, how did you come up with the idea?

Anna: Well, as you might guess, I was one of those parents I described earlier. I really wanted to help my son with his homework, but I was either too busy with work or I didn't actually know anything about the subjects he was having difficulty with. Also, we live in an area where there aren't many tutors and the ones that are there are either very expensive or have long waiting lists.

Presenter: Yes. I can understand your predicament. Well, it sounds like a very useful app that is clearly meeting a need. And its popularity obviously speaks for itself.

Anna: Thank you.

Presenter: So, do you have plans for the future?

Anna: We've just secured some funding and hope to expand the range of services we offer using the app.

Presenter: We wish you the best of luck. Thanks again for coming in. That was Anna Oliveira, founder of the tutoring app HomeworX (with an 'x', don't forget!), which is available for both Apple and Android devices. Join us again next week for another business interview. Have a great week, everyone.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by Ahmadbassam on Sat, 09/05/2020 - 13:49

There are many apps I ussually use to learn english. Cram and Zamarican English are the most favorite apps for me. Cram is the best way to study new words. You can write the words and review them by Flash Card Tichnic. Z amarican is good to study Grammer and improve communication skills.

Submitted by rscardua on Thu, 07/05/2020 - 13:09

To practice my speaking skills I like to use Cambly. There I have aces to many English tutors who are online to start a conversation. I use it three times a week. To practice my reading and listening skills I like to use Learn English or TED ED. And finally, to practice my writing skills I like to give comments after all my exercises here at Learn English, besides writing emails for my job.

Submitted by Marly on Wed, 06/05/2020 - 21:27

Hi, I think this app useful now at this time ,after Covid19 ,in my country we were studying online and as i am work online i cant have time to teach my son so i need someone to help me .

Submitted by begumoz on Sat, 02/05/2020 - 20:48

I really love to use British Council app which helps improve English daily day.

Submitted by Roberta75 on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 16:03

I'm trying the British Council tools for free and I'm enjoying them!

Submitted by yoyoraw on Thu, 30/04/2020 - 21:39

I prefer using an app called The Way, which is very similar to the app homeworkx that is mentioned in the podcast. It offers tutors for all kind of subjects in a very convenient price, and also if you sign up it gives you a free month to try it so i really recommend it .

Submitted by Benjamin on Thu, 30/04/2020 - 04:54

There are a lot of people who really need help to learn education especially in the remote and urban areas. It is really good to support them this kind of app which might be benifited very much in a productive way.

Submitted by micaela on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 01:21

What's your favourite app for learning and why? Hello, I really don't have a favourite app for learning... hehehe... but I use youtube to watch some videos to learn more English. I would like to know more about apps if it's possible to you tell me, English tutors here.

Submitted by Maddalena on Sat, 25/04/2020 - 19:59

I don't use app apps at the moment. I used to entraining my languages skills with Duolingo, but I didn't like it very much, it was too "false" for me. The sentences didn't have so much sense and I had bored of using it.

Submitted by Musawer on Sat, 25/04/2020 - 17:22

Honestly I haven't used the app for learning English yet
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Fri, 24/04/2020 - 13:33

My favourite app for learning is 'Opera'. The popularity and its efficiency obviously enhances optimum service.

Submitted by ericcoloma on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 21:42

It's a very good app to learn english and isn't very complex

Submitted by Monica Rodriguez on Sun, 19/04/2020 - 15:08

For me, EDX offer a different kind of courses in english. EDX is associate with the better universities in the world, and you can enter to their courses for free.

Submitted by jazmin marquez on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 15:21

Right now, my favorite app is Learning English, because you can learn english from basic to advanced level, and best of all, you don't have to pay for it. On the other hand, in this application you learn to use this languaje with everyday expressions.

Submitted by Joanagr96 on Wed, 08/04/2020 - 18:59

I usually use the e learning website and futurelearn courses to improve my English. Since I heard so much about BBC English I will give it a try.

Submitted by Nourhansss on Sat, 28/03/2020 - 11:34

How can I know that I passed the listening skill? And how can I know that I finished my course?

Hello Nourhansss,

The material on LearnEnglish is not a course which you can pass or fail. We make the material available for people to use in order to improve their English, but there are no tests or ways to pass or fail.

Thank u Okay.. Now how can I begin my course I did skills And grammar and all of that stuff What should I do next? And I downloaded the apps I don't understand what to do I am sorry
Profile picture for user Kirk

Submitted by Kirk on Sun, 05/04/2020 - 16:09

In reply to by Nourhansss

Hello Nourhansss

As Peter said, this part of LearnEnglish is not a course. It's more like a library, where you can use what you'd like to. We do have a series of courses for subscribers if you would like to do a course.

But there are also plenty of other free materials here, particularly in General English. You can find hours of audio and video and quite a few things to read there, so I'd encourage you to explore it a little before choosing something.

All the best

Profile picture for user Hoàng Nhung

Submitted by Hoàng Nhung on Fri, 13/03/2020 - 09:16

My favourite app for learning English is BBC news and British Council Website. I like to read World News and I like to study with you, the tutors from British Council. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn English. Thank you

Hello Hoàng Nhung

We're very glad to hear that!

Thanks for letting us know and for all your participation in LearnEnglish.

All the best

Submitted by shahhoseini on Mon, 09/03/2020 - 15:41

Dear Kirk My favourite apps to English learning are those your web site has introduced in link https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/apps.
Profile picture for user Nazla43

Submitted by Nazla43 on Tue, 03/03/2020 - 03:40

Hello, my favorite App is Edx it has a lot of free courses to practice among this obvious English.

Submitted by Johnny on Tue, 04/02/2020 - 19:32

The lady in studio has atypical pronunciation and accent. She has read film review also. Her pronunciation is neither American nor Spanish for sure. I have never heard someone who speaks like this. It sounds strange but interesting also. I wonder where does "Anna" come from? What part of United Kingdom does she come from?

Hello Johnny,

Anna's accent is a fairly typical educated southern English accent. It's not very strong and doesn't have any very distinctive regional elements. You can hear people speak like this across the south of England in the Home Counties region - the various counties surrounding London - and beyond.

Submitted by kawa on Tue, 04/02/2020 - 11:11

my favorite web-sites are British council, which, indeed, I find it very useful for everyone who wants to improve and master his or her English language, even for starters is suitable. The second favorite Web-site is BBC Learning English, it offers you a wide range of grammar lessons that help you improve your reading comprehension exponentially. As for apps, I get the benefit from Facebook enormously as there are many Facebook sites that post daily maltitude things related to English especially news, such as Reuters or some short clips that can help you improve your listening skills

Submitted by Ellena on Thu, 30/01/2020 - 20:27

Hi, My favourite web-site it is "perfect-English-grammar" but now I discovered this one which I fund it very useful

Submitted by armando on Tue, 28/01/2020 - 06:59

Hello everybody!! My favorite app it's "Hello English" because they have different exercises to practice reading and grammar. Although i need to improve my pronunciation.

Submitted by lio_2028 on Sat, 25/01/2020 - 16:40

my favorite app for now is bbc learning english i love this app a lot , i can't appreciate it in one word , it's always updated with new features ,it's really good app with a lot of options so that's help me a lot to improve my skills in english ,however this site too help me a lot i wanna appreciate who works in this site too which help a lot in english. thanks a lot ^_^

Hello lio_2028

Thanks very much for your kind words -- we're really happy that you find our work helpful.

Best wishes

Submitted by vidialzara on Thu, 23/01/2020 - 10:50

I love to learn about hand lettering and bullet journal and my favorite application to go to are, of course, youtube and Instagram. There is a lot of art stuff there and the more important thing is it is free to access.

Submitted by swaminathan on Thu, 23/01/2020 - 06:32

hi am swaminathan mechanical engineer from ssit chennai this is really un usual and i like it
Profile picture for user Dieudonné

Submitted by Dieudonné on Sat, 28/12/2019 - 14:37

My favorite app for learning is "irregular verbs"; It is a really good app with a lot of options. You can find most of the irregular verbs in it? Besides, there is a lot of manner to assess your level. What I find really interesting is that they divide the irregular verbs into 3 parts from easier to more difficult. Interestingly, It is like this website, they classify the verbs for every level. I really love it.

Submitted by taghi on Sat, 07/12/2019 - 08:14

my favoutite app is Instagram because i can see many posts from English teachers all around the world just by scrolling up and down among pages.as a daily habit i start every morning by reading different posts from various area such as science,national geography,news and so on.these pages and reading their new posts,help me to improve my reading skill.

Submitted by son76 on Thu, 05/12/2019 - 13:21

my name is son, i am from vietnam, i want learn english for test ielts 5.0, i need everyone help me, thank

Submitted by groverivan on Sun, 01/12/2019 - 02:42

Hi everybody, my favorite app is Duolingo too, because it has many tools an interesting things to learn english everyday.

Submitted by Yeasman on Mon, 25/11/2019 - 15:42

My favourite app is duolingo In this app I have many diffrient lessons

Submitted by Elvys on Fri, 22/11/2019 - 23:15

When I was a teenager my favourite website was Yahoo Answers because there were many people to answer my questions about any subjects and I did lots of homeworks from other users too to practice my knowledges.

Submitted by HelianG on Wed, 13/11/2019 - 22:22

my favorite app or web to learn English is youtube,is was not specially made for English learners but you can learn a lot of new things in youtube,there are many ways to use youtube to learn English,either watching videos of english youtubers or teachers who teach for free.

Submitted by Irina07 on Sun, 13/10/2019 - 10:31

Thank you for this listening lesson! I have just learned a new word which is the predicament ( a difficult or challenging situation). As a beginner Learning English language was a predicament. Did I correctly use this word in this context?

Hello Irina07

I'm glad you found this page useful!

Although I understand what you mean, that sentence sounds a little strange because a predicament is also usually a situation that is difficult to get out of, which doesn't seem appropriate here.

I'd suggest you look up 'predicament' in an online dictionary to read the example sentences there.

All the best

The LearnEnglish

Submitted by nikisyazwani on Mon, 30/09/2019 - 05:51

I have completed the lesson for A Business Interview. The level I chose was Upper Intermediate B2.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Sun, 15/09/2019 - 18:56

My favorite app for learning is the Facebook. Because it is very wide and popular and has too many things to read and watch .
Profile picture for user kamicounciler

Submitted by kamicounciler on Sun, 15/09/2019 - 13:39

i have not used a lot of learning apps,but i use british council podcasts app.its podcasts are useful and free although it has some ad contents which is not something that bothers. however after reading "Aisha na Shadee" ,s comment, i am interested to give that "IELTS speaking vocubularies" app a try.

Submitted by Catalina Pazmiño on Fri, 13/09/2019 - 05:34

Hi there! I am glad to be able to share my point of view about the best way to learn English. To be honest, I don't really know so much about technology, but doing my best I could found this interesting resource on the British Council website and It got me attracted, because it shared a lot of topics to help learners to improve by practicing all the skills. Since January, I have been working hard in order to be self confident with my English skills and I will continue doing my best until to take the IELTS test, and obviously, to get an international certificate. Thank you for this great opportunity ...
Profile picture for user Peter M.

Submitted by Peter M. on Fri, 13/09/2019 - 07:23

In reply to by Catalina Pazmiño

Hi Catalina,

Thank you for the lovely comment! It's good to know we're helping people. Good luck with your plans!

Submitted by Tin Zar Hlaing on Fri, 30/08/2019 - 18:05

I usually don't use English learning apps. But I try to learn the British council's podcast app. I learn English lessons on the British council's website today. It is a very nice lesson and actually enjoy. I will try the best. Thank you so much.
Profile picture for user Steve Zarv

Submitted by Steve Zarv on Tue, 27/08/2019 - 16:46

Currently I've been really into an app called "Tandem", it's an app of social media, specially to talk with strangers from all over the world. There are many apps like that, however, what makes it different than the others is that this one allows you to access different functions and options that the other apps ask you to pay for. Not to mention its accurance and the stylish user interface.(This is not sponsored xD)
Profile picture for user Aisha na Shadee

Submitted by Aisha na Shadee on Wed, 21/08/2019 - 11:41

My favourite app is IELTS speaking vocubularies, I prefer the app because it helps me to learn English by speaking, reading, listening and writing. Since I started using the app I'v improved my English in all mentioned categories. Everyday I get at least one or more new vocubularies. Self speaking practise has boosted my confidence in speaking. Listening TED talk has helped me to strengthern my ability of listening english words and to be familiar with engnglish pronunciations. I believe in more days to come I'll master the language effectively.