An invitation to a party

Listen to some phone messages with directions to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Automated message: You have two new messages. Message number one, received today at 3.45 p.m.

Hi, it's me. How's it going? I guess you're at work and you don't have your phone on, right? First of all, thank you, THANK YOU for the birthday card and message. I received it this morning. That's so nice of you. I'm organising a little party for my birthday. It's nothing very big – only a few of my best and closest friends. That means you too! We're going to have it at my cousin's house. She lives in the countryside in a nice big house with a swimming pool. I'd love to see you there. It's going to be this Friday. I'll send you the instructions on how to get there later, OK?

Anyway, have fun at work. Don't work too hard, OK? Talk soon.

Automated message: You have two new messages. Message number two, received today at 5.15 p.m.

Aw, you're still not answering your phone! OK, here are the instructions to get to my cousin's house for the party. Are you going to take your car? If you take the car, drive straight on Forest Road until you get to the motorway. Drive past Brownsville and take exit 13A. That's 13A. You drive down the road there and turn left. It's the first big house on the right. OK? If you're taking a bus, you can get the number 80 to Brownsville. Call me when you get there and somebody can pick you up in a car. I can't wait. This is going to be so great!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

A2 English level (pre-intermediate)

Submitted by Oscar Martínez on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:44

It is not difficult to get to my house because you only need to take the highway from the city. After that, you must take a turn to the left, which will take you into my community. Lastly, turn right and you will have arrived at my humble abode, which can be easily recognized.

Submitted by Paola Mejia on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:44

It is very easy to get lost in my hometown, when you haven't been here before, and it is because there are not many signs regarding the name of the streets. I have given the address to visitors, but whenever I say it they get entangled and prefer that I send the location virtually.

Submitted by Eng312002 on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:41

Getting lost in my town is very rare since I live in a very wide and known area with many directional signs, I’ve even drawn directions to some friend to get here and it is very easy to understand since there is many reference points.

Submitted by Gabriela Camargo on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:40

Hello No, it’s very hard to get lost in my town. There are many roads that can lead you to my town, so it’s not hard to arrive. I’ve given directions before and everyone arrives in seconds

Submitted by Susana WZ on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:39

As far as I know the town were I resides is commonly known by the people so people rarely get lost. Yes, I have given directions to visitors.

Submitted by genesisrendon on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:39

I think it is easy to not get lost in my town, until I have to give my directions to someone. Most people never know what reference places I am referring to because this places are only known by the locals of the area. Even though it can be easy to get lost here, I know for a fact that people eventually find their way.

Submitted by Cindy_ on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:38

I don't think it is easy to get lost in my town, there are signs and people in every corner of each street. Also, I live in the city and there are stores and malls nearby. I have given directions to a few visitors that were roaming in the streets of my town.

Submitted by David Qiu on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:38

Well, I have experienced this event and it's quite difficult due to the zoning of the territory.....

Submitted by isajaimes. on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:37

Yes, it’s actually very easy because it’s located in an area that people visit frequently. Thanks to google maps or waze isn’t necessary to give many directions.

Submitted by Roberto Sousa on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:37

I dont think is easy to get lost in my town, i have given directions to my house allot and everyone has arrived without any problem.

Submitted by Wilson Zhang on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:37

No, because my town is small and it’s easy to find my house. Yes, I’ve given directions to visitor and it went smoothly!

Submitted by khushi ahir on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:36

Well I think that is not that easy to get lost in my town as its not that big. yes I have given directions to visitors to reach to my house and they have understood and reached.

Submitted by jonthancata on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:36

Yes, it is easy to get lost in my town. The street names are not really visible and most people don't use them or know them. I have sent directions to my friends on how to get to my house, but instead of using the street names, I use landmarks as references.

Submitted by Milton Mckay on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:34

To get lost in my town is very rare due to the fact that my town is small and visitors do not often come here. Yes i have given instructions to some people that are visiting maybe for family issues, they always pay attention carefully for not getting lost and arrive fast and safe.

Submitted by Chris Cheng on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:33

It's not very hard to get lost in Panama, specifically the part where I live. There are lots of buildings as well as shops so giving directions proves to be quite a challenge. Since I've been living here for around 8 years or so I can easily give instructions for visitors to make their way around it.

Submitted by DiegoAnguizola on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:33

Getting lost in my own town is impossible. It is easy for me to give directions in my city. When I give directions to visitors, they find it very easy to get to their destinations.

Submitted by Jchungqiu on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:33

From where i live it is not really hard to get lost as you can distinguish your surroundings, and even though in my neighborhood the houses look the same the way to my house is relatively simple. I have given directions to a visitor though it sometimes can't be comprehensible as I am not really good at explaining the details of my surrounding in a way others would understand.

Submitted by jonthancata on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:33

It is easy to get easy in my town. The street names are not really visible and most people don't use them. I have sent directions to my friends on how to get to my house, but instead of using the street names, I use landmarks as references instead.
Profile picture for user Codjoah

Submitted by Codjoah on Mon, 18/05/2020 - 12:38

Hi Yes! it's very easy to get lost in my town. And I often have gave directions to visitors. Give directions to visitors in my town is not easy at all. Every streets and avenues don't have number and name. So, without street numbers and names on some avenues and streets, visitors used to miss theirs ways.

Submitted by Zhendong Wang on Mon, 18/05/2020 - 09:05

Hi, everyone. Actually, it's a little hard to find the direction for me, but i have phone, which have google map to help me find a right way.

Submitted by BOU Hamid on Sun, 17/05/2020 - 23:38

It is easy to give directions to a visitor for me.

Submitted by mouna99 on Sun, 17/05/2020 - 16:26

yes it's easy to get lost in my country

Submitted by Hninn Thazin Win on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 10:22

I have ever given directions to a tourist.It is so difficult for me
Profile picture for user Sergei Baskakov

Submitted by Sergei Baskakov on Thu, 14/05/2020 - 13:12

I usually give a link to google maps where I specify a point on the map
Profile picture for user Akbarhuja

Submitted by Akbarhuja on Thu, 14/05/2020 - 04:32

It is a bit difficult for me.

Submitted by Milena Nikolova on Tue, 12/05/2020 - 06:11

I like parties and always i have a fun there. I would like go to party more often.

Submitted by ademyonet on Sun, 10/05/2020 - 15:09

I never lost my town. My town is very big but I know its everywhere. It is not possible my lost.

Submitted by Lauracastanos on Sat, 09/05/2020 - 22:18

The direction to get to my house is sometimes difficult because google maps is wrong for one block and people think that you have to go straight when you have to turn right and then left

Submitted by Fatemeh.Najafzadeh on Sat, 09/05/2020 - 02:31

It’s a little hard but finding the direction is not impossible. Currently, I was giving the instruction to a tourist but he didn’t get it, so I explained the direction on the my mobile’s map.

Submitted by Cihanakbaba on Fri, 08/05/2020 - 05:42

Hello Everybody, If you want to find my home, you have to drive straight on the Farmer Road. Pass the 3th exit and turn left to the Elinghton Rd. You’ll see on the right a small pink colour house. See u there :)

Submitted by shami88 on Mon, 04/05/2020 - 13:43

Good nice to learn a new words like ( closest .......) thanks

Submitted by Nadir on Fri, 24/04/2020 - 02:12

hi guys . i live in a small town in algeria where there is easy to find your destination . in other places in algeria for exeple our capital town it s easy to get lost there ,but actually with the power of infotmatics there is a lot of application wich help us to find our destination anywhere .

Submitted by Marc Aguililla on Wed, 22/04/2020 - 20:33

I think that is a good listening because it's easy to understand. In my opinion, having a birthday party with friends is always good and a very good way to enjoy such a special day!

Submitted by Marc Aniceto on Wed, 22/04/2020 - 15:48

In this activity I've learned a lot the form to how to invite someone to a party and how to tell to someone about the directions. Also, listening the pronunciation, I learned how to say some words that after I didn't know how to pronunciate. In conclusion, this activity is really good like all the others.

Submitted by S.S on Mon, 20/04/2020 - 15:32

It is easy to get lost my town because there are many houses and the roads are complicated in my town.So,I often teach the way to teachers who come to my town.

Submitted by carol alves on Wed, 15/04/2020 - 21:16

Well, I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil, it's a big city. A public transport it's not so good, then i'ts very easy to lost here. The turist always needs to our help.

Submitted by marwa111 on Mon, 13/04/2020 - 20:26

Hi everyone, I live in France in toulouse. It's a big city, but it's very simple to get around Toulouse. It's not easy to get lost here thanks to public transport. I have ever given directions to friends and they had no problems.

Submitted by Miri am on Sun, 12/04/2020 - 17:48

In our time with using Waze (navigation apps) it's not problem to find something in big city but if I haven't internet line it be very hard for me to take a right direction.

Submitted by Aye Chan on Sun, 12/04/2020 - 06:52

It is easy to get lost in my city, Mandalay. Mandalay is one of the largest cities in my country,Myanmar. It is also a cultural heritage city. There are also many small streets. I have also given direction to visitors.

Submitted by Mi.m.ferreira on Wed, 08/04/2020 - 23:33

Yes, I live in SP which is a big city. I have already helped an American to get to Masp and a Japanese to get to Ibirapuera Park. I found it difficult to explain the instructions.
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Fri, 03/04/2020 - 14:56

Hi, Yes, it is. Yes, I had. Thanks.

Submitted by Ane on Thu, 02/04/2020 - 17:43

It's easy to get lost in my city. There are many streets. On the streets there are signs treated not always messages where they are going. Maybe my city is not too big but there are many streets that are very long and you can easily make mistakes.

Submitted by Grazia on Tue, 24/03/2020 - 14:50

It's not so easy to get lost where I live, it's a small Town and not so touristic. It's a real pity, there is a beautiful big Castle downtown and two amazing squares with bars restaurants, shops, surranded by a joyful atmosphere. I gave instructions to some visitors, but It Washington very simple..... they were Italian :-)

Submitted by Eswar on Tue, 17/03/2020 - 17:22

Yeah it is easy to get lost My town,Although There is a plenty of Sign boards shows the how to get the correct address. I gave the directions to So many people While they lost the Right way .through that i improved my communication Skills. It's great experience For Me.

Submitted by Wan Wan on Sun, 15/03/2020 - 07:56

My hometown is a small village in Lam Dong. It's don't have lots of streets so I never got lost before. One time when I was in Saigon there was a foreigner who asked me the way to go to the Notre Dame Cathedral but as I just a visitor like him too so I can't tell him where is it.

Submitted by Quinzia on Thu, 12/03/2020 - 14:53

Hi everyone, I'm italian and i live in Bologna but it isn't my hometown. I'm here for University. Anyway, my hometown is a little city in the centre of italy. Vary cute! it's possibile arrive with airplane in a near city, and later takes a train. the train trip lasts 40 minuts. The city is divides in 2 part, one of this is the old town is located on a hill... the view is amazing becuase overlook the bay. the second part it located near the sea and it's a tourist destination i don't like it because it's lived only in summer. Mainly there are italian tourists, but sometime there is tourists from England or Germany. It's a quite city, nice for relaxing and for a walk near the sea.
I so love Italy. I hope very soon all the epidemic will end soon and Italian will be happy again.

Submitted by jason2295 on Sun, 08/03/2020 - 20:07

The city where I live is very small one, so I think it is very easy to give a direction. Till now I've never gievn a direction to visitors, I hope I do it a day.