'in spite of', 'despite', 'although', 'even though' and 'though'

Do you know how to connect two contrasting ideas?

Look at these examples to see how although, even though, in spite of and despite are used.

Although we don't agree, I think she's a brilliant speaker.
Even though we don't agree, I think she's a brilliant speaker.
In spite of the law, people continue to use mobile phones while driving.
Despite the law, people continue to use mobile phones while driving.

Try this exercise to test your grammar.

Grammar test 1

'in spite of', 'despite', 'although', 'even though' and 'though': Grammar test 1

Read the explanation to learn more.

Grammar explanation

Although, even though, in spite of and despite are all used to link two contrasting ideas or show that one fact makes the other fact surprising. They can all be used at the beginning or in the middle of the sentence.

Despite the rain, we enjoyed the festival.
We enjoyed the festival, despite the rain.

The main difference between although, even though, in spite of and despite is that they are used with different structures.

in spite of / despite

After in spite of and despite, we use a noun, gerund (-ing form of a verb) or a pronoun.

They never made much money, in spite of their success.
In spite of the pain in his leg, he completed the marathon.
Despite having a headache, I had a great birthday.
The train was cancelled. In spite of that, we arrived on time.

Note that it is common to use in spite of and despite with the expression the fact that, followed by a subject and verb.

In spite of the fact that he worked very hard, he didn't pass the exam.
Despite the fact that he worked very hard, he didn't pass the exam.

although / even though

After although and even though, we use a subject and a verb. Even though is slightly stronger and more emphatic than although.

I enjoyed the course, although I would have liked more grammar practice.
Although we saw each other every day, we didn't really know each other.
Even though she spoke very quietly, he understood every word.
She didn't get the job, even though she had all the necessary qualifications.

though

Though can be used in the same way as although

Though I wasn't keen on the film, I thought the music was beautiful.

Though can also go at the end of the second phrase. This way of expressing contrasting ideas is most common in spoken English.

We waited ages for our food. The waiter was really nice, though.

Do this exercise to test your grammar again.

Grammar test 2

'in spite of', 'despite', 'although', 'even though' and 'though': Grammar test 2

Submitted by Nathan Costa on Thu, 15/03/2012 - 13:33

Hey Guys, My name´s Natã Costa, I'm Brazilian and I want to be graduate in English.

I'll need to help of this site and everyone.

Nice to meet you folks!

Wow~I am amazing at that!I am wondering what language do you speak.Can you tell me?I am looking to your reply!

Submitted by Katrina_Pak on Mon, 05/03/2012 - 17:04

Hi everybody!!!) I am Kate. I am 16 years old. I am from The Republic of Kazakhstan. Nice to meet you!) I like English very much, that's why I want to know it well) Will you help me?=)))

Submitted by slim_200x on Sat, 25/02/2012 - 15:59

what can i do to be good in English?

Submitted by why2k007 on Sat, 25/02/2012 - 14:40

Wow...so fun and very interactive medium to learn English better...comparing with if we just try to learn from an ordinary guideline books..

Submitted by naderreal on Fri, 24/02/2012 - 09:54

Hello,can you help me to find the difference between ,we might and may be

tanks for all

Submitted by hopeful nanou on Thu, 23/02/2012 - 21:44

hi i'm nouha from tunisia i'm so pleased to meet you al here really it's an unmissed opportunity to learn about english and to widen our knowledge so many thanks for the british council

Submitted by scolic on Tue, 21/02/2012 - 22:30

hello everyone! i want to learn english. :)) i am from serbia. :)

Submitted by renju_budhatho… (not verified) on Sat, 18/02/2012 - 21:28

Namaste everybody, i am Renju. I am a Nepalese housewife in London. I want to learn English and interact with people. Nice to meet you all.

Submitted by kami123 on Sat, 18/02/2012 - 20:05

hello everyone, British council is one of the best site ever i seen.

Submitted by Mukeshji on Sat, 18/02/2012 - 09:26

Hello!!! Nice to visit this site. I have a question.  Is it right to write "although he worked very hard, but he didn’t manage to pass the exam"? Thank you!!!

Submitted by thembie on Fri, 17/02/2012 - 13:02

hello everyone l am patie baby nice to meet you all

Good day X

Submitted by okaze (not verified) on Fri, 17/02/2012 - 08:27

this is the best site that i can learn english easier

Submitted by mohammadphysics on Thu, 16/02/2012 - 15:12

hello

my good boy and girl friend

I hope,Life is overall of happy.i am mohammad from iran.this site is one of best sites that I've seen.

Submitted by farhan.najum on Wed, 15/02/2012 - 18:06

hi everyone. i am Ali from Pakistan. i recently join this forum. i want to increase my social interaction skills as well my English skills. so i want to have a great time with all of you guys..

Submitted by Nomanur on Sat, 11/02/2012 - 22:48

i interested English. So i learn English............

Submitted by prinzas on Thu, 09/02/2012 - 10:04

Hi, I am prinzas from lebanon. I am a new member in this site. I hope I have a response from the site's management to know how I can use it and benefit from its services inorder to improve my written and spoken english. Thank you

Submitted by dibya jyoti das on Tue, 07/02/2012 - 17:56

my friend said me,British council site have best site to learn English

Submitted by medlira on Tue, 07/02/2012 - 16:39

hi everybody..I would like to learn english...I hope you will help me...<3

Submitted by lolololo on Sat, 04/02/2012 - 15:00

hi every body

i hope to learn English language  because  i think it very useful in our life

and i wish from you to help me to take my aim

Submitted by Lucrezia1998 on Thu, 02/02/2012 - 21:38

Hi everyone!

I'm so happy to join you on this site! I want to improve my English, and first of all, British english. For me, this is most perfect language in whole world.

I'm from Zagreb, Croatia but London I find my second home....and I would be happy more than anyone in this world to get back there for good...someday I hope.

I have to say that I really envy to British citizens on their language and sometimes I feel so jelayous because I think I can't be able to speak like them ever...

Submitted by ninuca_777 (not verified) on Thu, 02/02/2012 - 06:53

hi everyone

I am nino from georgia. I want to improve my English so I am here and I`ll try my best.

Submitted by adhikari dipak on Wed, 01/02/2012 - 21:39

hello ,friends . i would like to learn more English. Is  it possible from this site?

Submitted by Mr.Swan pyae on Wed, 01/02/2012 - 18:54

Hi everyone ! I'm Swan from Burma . I just resigned here want to learn English but i don't know how to study here very well . Where should i start ?

Submitted by marticv (not verified) on Wed, 01/02/2012 - 13:06

Hi, I am Vladan from Montenegro. Despite I very tired today, I am practising my english.

This is my first post on this site, and I must to say that looking for a lot of conversation, and I hope so to rise level of my knowledge.

Regards fir everyone here.

Submitted by ramandeep kaur on Tue, 31/01/2012 - 14:22

Hi everybody

I m Raman from India.I m student of BSc(airline,tourism and hospitality management).i am new member of this web.i would like to learn english ,speaking skill,synonymous.

Submitted by Sooraj_Kumar on Tue, 31/01/2012 - 08:37

I would like to learn English. But I don't know, How to learn English ? and just registered with the British Council site.

Submitted by khinmgsan on Fri, 27/01/2012 - 09:32

hi everybody, may i introduce myself at first.I am Khin Mg San from Burma.I am a new members of this Web.So,I believe that you all are hlp me.I would like to waste my golden time here by learning English.

Hello Khin.

how are you? I'm Maryam ,from Iran. I'm not an admin or something likes this,but welcome to this interesting blog.

Submitted by Josselly Buque… on Wed, 25/01/2012 - 15:20

Hello! I am a new member of this website which I am totally sure will help me to learn a lot.

Submitted by garap on Sat, 21/01/2012 - 10:57

hi dears i would like to learn more about synonymous, where i can find it.. thanks

Submitted by tej on Wed, 18/01/2012 - 12:52

i like this  exercise................

Submitted by mobini90 on Wed, 18/01/2012 - 08:33

Hi everybody

This is the first comment that I make followed by my first activity on this website .I like this website and I try to be more active  on this website.By the way I forgot to introduce myself; I'm Mohammad a mechanical engineering student from Tehran the capital city of Iran .I hope to find some good friends and  and try to spend good time here.

Hi Mohammad,

Welcome to LearnEnglish! I hope you find it useful.

Best wishes,

Adam

hi mohamamd

welcome to this interesting  site. I've become a member here since last 2 weeks, and I've learnt a lot of things, anywhere I wanted to say"happy your new membership."

by the way my name is maryam and I live in Tehran ,as well. have a nice time everywhere,specially here.

Submitted by kaustubh on Tue, 17/01/2012 - 14:55

This is my first comment. I will try to make lot of mistakes so that i learn a lot and even others learn from them..

Submitted by Oveey on Mon, 16/01/2012 - 17:01

I found this cool-site yesterday, and that was great to join in. I hope I can improve my English. And, I think there's no doubt to be better in English, I don't need feel afraid to make mistakes when study English. Getting around here and read and read again. Cheers!

Submitted by maryam najafi on Mon, 16/01/2012 - 14:36

hi all.

my friends,you all say "I want to make some friends." but you do nothing about it.

share your ideas and interesting  news about your country or ...

SITARAM asks us how is the whether in our countries. in Iran it's cold and snowy. today it was very lovely.