Reported speech 1 – statements

Do you know how to report what somebody else said?

Look at these examples to see how we can tell someone what another person said.

direct speech: 'I love the Toy Story films,' she said.
indirect speech: She said she loved the Toy Story films.

direct speech: 'I worked as a waiter before becoming a chef,' he said.
indirect speech: He said he'd worked as a waiter before becoming a chef.

direct speech: 'I'll phone you tomorrow,' he said.
indirect speech: He said he'd phone me the next day.

Try this exercise to test your grammar.

Grammar test 1

Grammar B1-B2: Reported speech 1: 1

Read the explanation to learn more.

Grammar explanation

Reported speech is when we tell someone what another person said. To do this, we can use direct speech or indirect speech.

direct speech: 'I work in a bank,' said Daniel.
indirect speech: Daniel said that he worked in a bank.

In indirect speech, we often use a tense which is 'further back' in the past (e.g. worked) than the tense originally used (e.g. work). This is called 'backshift'. We also may need to change other words that were used, for example pronouns.

Present simple, present continuous and present perfect

When we backshift, present simple changes to past simple, present continuous changes to past continuous and present perfect changes to past perfect.

'I travel a lot in my job.'
  • Jamila said that she travelled a lot in her job.
'The baby's sleeping!'
  • He told me the baby was sleeping.
'I've hurt my leg.'
  • She said she'd hurt her leg.

Past simple and past continuous

When we backshift, past simple usually changes to past perfect simple, and past continuous usually changes to past perfect continuous.

'We lived in China for five years.'
  • She told me they'd lived in China for five years.
'It was raining all day.'
  • He told me it had been raining all day.

Past perfect

The past perfect doesn't change.

'I'd tried everything without success, but this new medicine is great.'
  • He said he'd tried everything without success, but the new medicine was great.

No backshift

If what the speaker has said is still true or relevant, it's not always necessary to change the tense. This might happen when the speaker has used a present tense.

'I go to the gym next to your house.'
  • Jenny told me that she goes to the gym next to my house. I'm thinking about going with her.
'I'm working in Italy for the next six months.'
  • He told me he's working in Italy for the next six months. Maybe I should visit him!
'I've broken my arm!'
  • She said she's broken her arm, so she won't be at work this week.

Pronouns, demonstratives and adverbs of time and place

Pronouns also usually change in indirect speech.

'I enjoy working in my garden,' said Bob.
  • Bob said that he enjoyed working in his garden.
'We played tennis for our school,' said Alina.
  • Alina told me they'd played tennis for their school.

However, if you are the person or one of the people who spoke, then the pronouns don't change.

'I'm working on my thesis,' I said.
  • I told her that I was working on my thesis.
'We want our jobs back!' we said.
  • We said that we wanted our jobs back.

We also change demonstratives and adverbs of time and place if they are no longer accurate.

'This is my house.'
  • He said this was his house. [You are currently in front of the house.]
  • He said that was his house. [You are not currently in front of the house.]
'We like it here.'
  • She told me they like it here. [You are currently in the place they like.]
  • She told me they like it there. [You are not in the place they like.]
'I'm planning to do it today.'
  • She told me she's planning to do it today. [It is currently still the same day.]
  • She told me she was planning to do it that day. [It is not the same day any more.]

In the same way, these changes to those, now changes to then, yesterday changes to the day before, tomorrow changes to the next/following day and ago changes to before.

Do this exercise to test your grammar again.

Grammar test 1

Grammar B1-B2: Reported speech 1: 2

Do you need to improve your English grammar?

Hello Leila Bounar,

Both they like it here and they liked it here are grammatically possible.

It's not necessary to change the tense of the verb in reported speech if the situation is still true:

She told me they like it here - they liked it here when she spoke; they still like it here now

She told me they liked it here - they liked it here when she spoke; we don't know if they still like it here or not

Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 05:04

It's really helpfu.

Submitted by wcyam10 on Tue, 05/05/2020 - 05:55

Hi Kirk, In the following question, can b) be the answer ? We're meeting Tonight at 8 o'clock.' → She said that they ___ meeting Toni at 8 o'clock. I hope they're having a nice time! a.were meeting b.are meeting c.had been meeting thanks with regards
Profile picture for user Peter M.

Submitted by Peter M. on Tue, 05/05/2020 - 06:46

In reply to by wcyam10

Hi wycam10,

Both answers /a/ and /b/ are possible here. The verb can be moved one step back (present > past) in reported speech, but as the statement is still true it is also possible to leave the verb in the present tense.

Hi Peter, thank you very much for your clear explanation.

Submitted by Bharati on Sat, 18/04/2020 - 12:26

Dear Kirk, I will try to elaborate on the example sentence to seek your valuable clarifications. If the present(general) reality is that "He is not working hard"these days, then if the sentence is made like "His father felt that he is not working hard ".Here wouldnt the reported speech (subordinate clause) "that he is not working hard " refer to the past since the main clause verb(knew) refers to the past even though presently also "he is not working hard" Similarly, if the reported speech sentence is "His father will feel that he is not working hard" will the reported clause"that he is not working hard" not refer to future time in sync with the future time reference of main clause verb"will feel" even though presently also "he is not working hard". Your elaboration will indeed provide me with the much needed clarity. Warm regards

Hello Bharati

In theory, if the father was speaking about the past, then the correct form would be 'that he was not working hard'. Perhaps someone might say 'is not working', but if this is about the past, the past form is the correct one. 'was not working' could also refer to the present, and also the past and the present.

'is not working' in theory refers to the present, though this present could include the past and perhaps even the future. It's not that the verb form itself says this; it's just the form that many speakers could use in such a case.

As for the future time reference, yes, it would most likely refer to the future. I look at it as more of a prediction, since we don't know the future.

Hope this helps.

All the best

Submitted by aremy on Wed, 15/04/2020 - 18:54

Hi! I want to know what to do when reporting a fact like: Ahmed said, "The sun goes around the earth." How to report this sentence? and what is the rule when reporting facts? Thanks in advance reply
Profile picture for user Kirk

Submitted by Kirk on Thu, 16/04/2020 - 07:10

In reply to by aremy

Hello aremy

You can see my response to this very question (from Omar Mmohamed) just below on this page.

All the best

Submitted by Nobody Alternate on Wed, 27/05/2020 - 13:42

In reply to by aremy

Same homework?)

Submitted by Omar Mmohamed on Mon, 13/04/2020 - 18:55

Profile picture for user Kirk

Submitted by Kirk on Tue, 14/04/2020 - 07:12

In reply to by Omar Mmohamed

Hello Omar Mmohamed

The most direct way to write that sentence in reported speech is one of the following:

Ahmed said that the sun went around the Earth.
Ahmed said that the sun goes around the Earth.

I'd say that most people would say the second one. The tense of the verb 'go' can be in the past and still refer to the present (in other words, the first sentence can report about something it is still true now), but most people use a present tense for this kind of statement.

All the best

Submitted by Bharati on Mon, 06/04/2020 - 05:47

Dear Kirk, In the direct speech said in the past or will say in future, if what the speaker saidor will say is still true , What will be the time reference of direct speech. Will it be taken with reference to present time(now) or with reference to the time (past/future) of utterance by the speaker. Example-He said,"I am not well".Will we determine the time reference of "I am not well"with respect to now or the past if he is not well now also. Similarly, Since he is not well, he will say,"I am not well" to his boss. What will be the time reference in both the above examples of direct speech in past as well as future ? Best regards

Hello Bharati

In the case of 'He said, "I am not well"', one understands that he was not well at the past time that is referred to. It can mean that he is still unwell now, but that is not clear from the statement. Other language would be needed to clarify that.

In the case of 'He will say, "I am not well" to his boss', what I understand is that he won't be well when he says this to his boss.

All the best

Submitted by Karole on Fri, 27/03/2020 - 02:11

Hello, it is really important to know the reported speech, because it helps us understand the indirect way of saying or explaining things in English, or is saying something with your own words, changing the verb tense to the past. That is why I appreciate being able to learn to use this grammar point. Thanks

Submitted by kindpao on Fri, 27/03/2020 - 00:56

Thanks for the detailed explanation, it helped me a lot to understand the structure that is needed for this topic. I really appreciate it. And despite everything, I think I need a lot of practice :c

Submitted by Esperanza Mons… on Fri, 27/03/2020 - 00:52

Hi ! The information on this page has helped me to easily understand the topic of Reported Speech. The exmples and tets are understandable,although i will continue practicing, relating this class with the common way in which i speak spanish. Thanks for the help

Submitted by alondra ZD on Fri, 27/03/2020 - 00:01

this excersise helped me practice and remenber things that i had forgotten.

Submitted by Gusi on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 23:15

The topics of the portal have good information, present their proper use and structures to facilitate their understanding. This tests help a lot to practice the topics and see where we have failures.

Submitted by Jizel Alarcón on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 21:57

This information helped me understand the topic and the examples helped me understand it better.

Submitted by Paola Pérez Cerón on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 20:08

This explanation is so good for my level. It really helped me to understand the topic and the excercises supplemented all the information

Submitted by Paola Pérez Cerón on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 20:04

Tus content is so good. It explain the topic very clear. It helped me to understand it.

Submitted by Lizeth on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 16:03

I find it a good way to learn. I like it and it's simple.

Submitted by Betty Lopez on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 06:02

Thanks, I was able to understand with your examples about the topics: reporting verbs, reported speech and the topic of my interest: used to + infinitive and be or get used to + ing. Gracias, pude entender con sus ejemplos sobre los temas: reporting verbs, reported speech y el tema de mi interés: used to + infinitive and be or get used to + ing

Submitted by Fernanda Rojas on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 03:47

This page is really very good, explains clearly and accurately each topic with examples and exercises for you to practice while you learn. I like it so much.

Submitted by Julio Rodriguez on Wed, 25/03/2020 - 17:29

I like the way the topics are explained. The different variations of a theme are very explicit, correctly applying tests to provide feedback on what has been learned.

Submitted by Daniela Mejía on Wed, 25/03/2020 - 01:32

I really like this page, previously i looked on other pages about the topic of reported speech, and i didn´t understand much the explanation, but in this site i can see examples according to each grammatical form and practice with the grammar test. That is great because the grammar is always the most difficult thing for me.

Submitted by Umoh Margaret on Fri, 13/03/2020 - 12:42

Please Sir, would you please explain this last question for me? I told Dom to email you three days ago.' She Said that she had told Dom to email me three days before, but it has been a week now and l still haven't heard.

Hello Umoh Margaret

Of the three answers, only 'before' works. 'then' just doesn't make any sense in that place in the sentence. 'ago' is correct in the first sentence (when the speaker is speaking in the present moment at that time), but since the sentence that reports past speech is referring to a past time, 'ago' is not appropriate. Instead, we use 'before' or 'earlier'.

This is explained in the last sentence of the Grammar explanation:

Does that make sense?