Ordering in a café

Listen to people ordering food and drinks in a café to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Customer 1: Can I have an orange juice, please?

Server: Regular or large?

Customer 1: How big is a large?

Server: This is a large. This is a regular.

Customer 1: I'll have a large, then, please. Without ice.

Server: OK, coming up.

Customer 1: Sorry, I wanted freshly squeezed orange juice.

Server: I'm afraid we only have bottled juices.

Customer 1: Oh, then I'll have an apple juice instead, please.

Server: Here you go. That's £3.50, please.

Customer: Thanks.

Server: Thank you.

Server: Can I help anyone?

Customer 2: Who's next?

Customer 3: You were first, I think.

Customer 2: What teas do you have?

Server: Breakfast tea, mint and green tea.

Customer 2: A mint tea and a slice of lemon cake, please.

Server: To eat in or take away?

Customer 2: Take away, please.

Server: There you go. That'll be £4.20, please.

Customer 2: Sorry, I've only got a fifty.

Server: That's OK. Here's your change … 5, 10, 30, 50.

Server: Who's next?

Customer 4: Can I have a ...

Customer 3: Sorry, I think I was in front of you.

Customer 4: Oh, sorry!

Customer 3: Can I have a chocolate chip cookie, please?

Server: Would you like a drink with that?

Customer 3: No, thanks. Just the cookie.

Server: OK, then. That's 95p, please.

Customer 3: Thanks. I think that's right.

Server: 50, 70, 80, 85, 90, 92, 94, yep, 95. Thank you.

Submitted by Luisalcaza on Tue, 03/11/2020 - 00:29

Not everyday, but sometimes, when I haven't coffee in my job, I buy a drink in the café.

Submitted by GhazalQadriRazvi on Mon, 19/10/2020 - 22:15

I use to buy foods and drinks from college canteen everyday when I was in the university.

Submitted by Samqaid on Sat, 17/10/2020 - 19:51

I always order a fast food such as a sandwich .I eat something I don't choose my food

Submitted by Ugulhan on Thu, 15/10/2020 - 06:31

Usually, our University cafe is costly if you want to order some tea or coffee. Although it is expensive for us, sometimes I will go there and will order a slice of cake or pizza.

Submitted by DEICY on Mon, 12/10/2020 - 15:23

Every morning, when I was going to work I bought one coffee and one sandwich to go eating in the train, It was my breakfast for seven months.

Submitted by Moon Wathan on Thu, 08/10/2020 - 15:38

I usually go and buy drinks and snacks from the cafes. I like coffee and orange juice and then I like potato chick from the cafes.

Submitted by Than Kutay Soe on Thu, 01/10/2020 - 16:01

I order drinks and snacks in a cafe quite often because I love soft drinks and snacks. During current period, the cafes are closed so unfortunately I now can't order anything.

Submitted by elena.polyantseva on Wed, 30/09/2020 - 21:01

I used to buy food in a cafe quite often. Now, due to the appearance of the coronavirus, I don't order food in a cafe.

Submitted by Maria19 on Tue, 29/09/2020 - 20:15

I usually buy drinks at a coffee shop. Today because of covid 19, the situation is different and I buy less outside.

Submitted by Pola on Sat, 12/09/2020 - 19:57

often, I have buy drinks four times a week.

Submitted by Lysa on Fri, 04/09/2020 - 10:37

I don't buy neither drinks nor snaks from café except when I am in harry and this is seldom happen. I prefer to prepare it by myself.

Submitted by Faheem Khan on Mon, 31/08/2020 - 02:52

i buy drinks and snacks when i have to need any of this. here in Pakistan when we buy food we can not stand in line we just go to shop and buy that things.

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Thu, 27/08/2020 - 13:31

I rarely buy drinks from cafés. It makes me feel like I wasted money since I can make a good one by myself... ;)

Submitted by shelly on Thu, 27/08/2020 - 07:48

Sometimes I would buy drinks or food from a cafe shop when my family go out for a short vacation or when I go on a business trip.

Submitted by biso01 on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 11:11

usually i go to cafe to take my coffee in the morning and some times take a cookies. i do not like takeaway to drink my coffee, i like to seat and drink, i give the waiter a lot of tips to adjust my coffee.

Submitted by MARIANO_HB on Tue, 11/08/2020 - 22:34

I usually prefer to visit bars instead of cafés because I like much more the beer that coffee or teas.

Submitted by Mai Khin Nway Shein on Wed, 29/07/2020 - 08:24

These days, I need to go to the bank almost everyday. When I arrived, firstly I went into the bank for doing bank transactions, after that I went to the Coffee shop to by a cup of coffee.

Submitted by Phan Bao Dung on Tue, 28/07/2020 - 19:09

I sometimes buy drinks or snacks from cafés when I go out with my family. I buy coffee or tea for my husband and me, a few chocolate bars and cookies for my daughter.

Submitted by I am on Wed, 22/07/2020 - 19:54

A couple times at month, when we, with friends, attending the caffe or restaurant. Usually we buy a craft beer and snack )

Submitted by Alifaraax on Wed, 22/07/2020 - 18:25

I often buy soft drink sometimes i ordered mango juice or banana shaka.

Submitted by Ahmad_Khalil on Tue, 21/07/2020 - 11:11

I usually buy drinks and snakes from on-road cafes

Submitted by Miri85 on Mon, 20/07/2020 - 10:40

Sometimes, maybe once a week.

Submitted by fahri on Mon, 20/07/2020 - 00:11

Dear team. Oh, then I'll have an apple juice instead, please. The word 'instead' is an adjective or adverb ??? Thank you very much for your answer.
Hi fahri, 'Instead' is an adverb. Here, it describes the clause 'I'll have an apple juice'. Best wishes, Jonathan The LearnEnglish Team

Submitted by Alifaraax on Wed, 22/07/2020 - 18:28

In reply to by Jonathan R

Dear Jonathan i would like to know some informations about the course so may I ask you? I'm looming forward about your respond.
Hi Alifaraax, Yes, you're welcome to ask questions here :) You can also find course information on this page: https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/online-courses Best wishes, Jonathan The LearnEnglish Team

Submitted by syah on Sun, 19/07/2020 - 13:53

After school was over, I often go to cafe near my school with my friends to buy foods and drinks. On weekends, I sometimes hang out too with them at the cafe.

Submitted by fahri on Sat, 18/07/2020 - 16:14

Dear team. Customer 1said Oh, then I'll have an apple juice instead, please. What the different from : Customer 1: Oh, then I'll choose an apple juice instead, please. Why is he not just say: give me an apple just please...(it is sound more simply word)

Hello fahri,

The conventional form is I'll have... when ordering something like this. People would understand choose but it would not be the normal form and would sound rather strange.

Give me is very direct and would sound rude in the context of a shop or a restaurant. You could say something like this if you were talking to a very close friend, for example, but even then Could you give... or Can you give... would be more common.

Thank you very much for your answer sir. I learned polite language from you. The foreign people like me sometime do not understand which the polite language and the rude one. So, thank you again
Hi teacher may i get certificate of completion after i finished the course?

Hello Alifaraax,

I'm afraid there are not certificates of completion for our webpages or courses right now. We'll certainly let your users know if this changes in the future.

Submitted by Dastenova Firuza on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 16:02

I usually have lunch outside.

Submitted by EWS on Mon, 06/07/2020 - 12:41

Just sometimes not too often I drink coffee in the town

Submitted by jonon on Sun, 05/07/2020 - 23:53

well ever single morning I like to buy snacks

Submitted by qziad on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 16:50

sometimes I buy coffee and snacks when I am in the work

Submitted by Thandar win on Mon, 29/06/2020 - 16:35

Very effective class for me

Submitted by Ronake on Sun, 28/06/2020 - 21:01

During weekdays, in my break time, I go to our nearest cafeteria to take away a drink. Usually, I buy orange or lemon juice, because they include many vitamins and are fresh to drink, so I gain energy for the rest of the day. And for snacks, I prefer to get them from my home instead of buying them in the cafeteria.

Submitted by Ragdaalamin on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 08:29

i often buy when i am in the work ..and some time ask my husbend bring some desert to home from cafe.

Submitted by joshnamep on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 05:05

it is quite often, when I hang out with my friends we chose a coffee shop and order cakes and drinks.

Submitted by hangnt5 on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 03:00

I rarely buy drinks and snacks from the cafes, I just buy them when I go to the cafes with my friends at the weekend. And when I travel with my family. I always buy drinks and snacks from the supermarket, it is cheaper. I like freshly squeezed juice because it is good for health. I don't like fatty food. instead I like vegetable.

Submitted by Caterina Siligardi on Sun, 21/06/2020 - 17:30

I seldom buy drink or snacks in coffees. That can happen when I get on travel to go the mountain or to the beach in the Summer.

Submitted by haydeecolli on Fri, 19/06/2020 - 20:29

I sometimes go with my friends to a coffee shop called Las Violetas.

Submitted by Hennadii on Fri, 19/06/2020 - 15:25

I buy coffee or snacks pretty often. Actually, mostly coffee. I'm a coffee nerd and just can't imagine my life without it. Talking about snacks, I prefer something with meat, especially when I'm in a rush and don't have much time for eating at home and cafe

Submitted by Khdog on Thu, 18/06/2020 - 07:35

Yeah I like buy from cafe sometimes when I be with friends or my sisters.

Submitted by Salva77 on Sun, 14/06/2020 - 15:10

Sometimes when I have free time I like to meet friend in a coffee shop to talk to them and drink a good coffee

Submitted by Nsengir on Fri, 12/06/2020 - 10:30

I go to cafes five times a month.