A text message invitation

Learn how to write a text message invitation to a friend.

Reading text
Sandra
online

Hey! Want to meet for a drink after work?

14:16

Cool, what time do you finish?

14:21

Late as always crying

14:22

Me too. Msg me when you leave

14:22

OK. Where do you want to go?

14:23

IDK. I might be hungry tho

14:24

Good point.

14:25

I'll think of somewhere to eat.

14:25

I know what you're like when you're hungry! wink

14:27

LOL, I'm not that bad!

14:31

Don't worry. We can meet at the bus stop and decide then.

14:31

yes See you later

14:32

Tips

1. You don't need to write complete sentences.
  2. You can use abbreviations like LOL (= laugh out loud) or IDK (= I don't know) to save time.
  3. Use emojis smiley to add feelings.
  4. You don't need to use full stops (.) at the end of messages.
Do you need to improve your English writing skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English writing skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

A1 English level (elementary)

Submitted by Laila Mutiara … on Fri, 05/06/2020 - 04:34

i prefer to send a message for making a plan. but just a short message

Submitted by eshan.saif on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 21:13

Usually, I feel comfortable texting my friends than talking them face to face. but when it's time to make any plans then I would like to speak about what should we do or what we are going to do.

Submitted by iiiirx6 on Sun, 31/05/2020 - 04:44

I used to send a MSG because make a call it might gives more time to choose a design. send a MSG is more flexibility for us

Submitted by doublef005 on Sun, 17/05/2020 - 18:51

I prefer send a lot messages to my friends for going to have dinner. I seldom to talk directly with them because i don't want to disturb their activity

Submitted by mouna99 on Sun, 17/05/2020 - 13:35

I prefer sending message instead of speaking to my friends, for not disturb them while they are working or sleeping

Submitted by c.lopes23 on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 16:59

I do both, I send lot of mensagens and to speak with my friends for make any plans.

Submitted by Clarissa on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 12:25

I usually send voice messages when I want to start a real conversation. It ends up in a phone call.

Submitted by mm_xx1415 on Fri, 15/05/2020 - 02:01

Hello there, Wish you all the best It' s depends on the situation. If he/she at something busy; I would like to send a text message if not I prefer to call them because I want to here their re- action or feeling with it. thanks a lot Mohammed :)

Submitted by Mohamedakram16 on Thu, 07/05/2020 - 16:09

I usually get messages from people I know and sometimes, I send some of them too, and I also like to talk to my aunt with cam

Submitted by Albert beykr on Thu, 30/04/2020 - 14:35

in personality i perfer to send messages to my friends to adjust a plan but sometimes it can be tiring and i think to call and speak directly it's better than texting,

Submitted by Madhu Beerelli on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 09:42

I am more happy to talk rather than message because most of the time my friend away from phone.

Submitted by aml96 on Tue, 28/04/2020 - 07:32

i prefer to speak to my friend i fell that butter the messages take time to write and replay also my friend and i have different point of view

Submitted by Christian on Tue, 28/04/2020 - 01:46

I prefer send a lot of message to my friends for going to drink or have dinner.

Submitted by narcisa on Mon, 27/04/2020 - 15:37

I prefer to call and speak directly with my friends and make plans but not all the time is possible and then I am texting them when I want to share ideas

Submitted by MAP on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 05:00

I prefer text message with my colleagues, friends and family for several purposes when it better than talking. And use also emojis but in this lesson, I learned some abbreviation which I don't use before.

Submitted by Vishal Misra on Mon, 20/04/2020 - 18:20

I’ll prefer to initiate plan on messages and prefer to speak to friends before executing the plan.

Submitted by Reza 2020 on Mon, 20/04/2020 - 02:23

Most of the time I send messages to my friends to adjust a plan, but sometime it does not working so I have to call them.

Submitted by Desta Putri on Sun, 19/04/2020 - 16:17

in personality i prefer to speaks with my friends, we can meet and dicided where we want to go and we can have quality time by meet each other, having so much fun or just delivery food but i like to send a lot of msg for my friends too if im too lazy for meet and both of all is good i think

Submitted by Daudau0601 on Sat, 18/04/2020 - 04:17

i often send a lot of messages to my friend to talk about everything. I prefer sending message because i can use emoji to express my feeling and troll my friend. Personally i think talk by sending message make me feel more comfortable and easier to express anything what i want to talk. i'll call my friend whenever i feel really urgent.
Profile picture for user zabiullah

Submitted by zabiullah on Fri, 17/04/2020 - 06:54

actually i send lots of message my friends and colleagues when we want to go somewhere or to make plans. but i prefer to meet my friends face to face bxz it can make me feel good and give more energy. in my country, it is a culture for people to meet relatives, friends and parents every weekend their homes. if we cant meet every weekend , they might say, he or she become bad guys...

Submitted by Emily Mellor on Tue, 14/04/2020 - 12:25

I usually send lots of messages to friends to make plans because they are not always available to answer a phone call. But sometimes we make a video call , tell jokes and make plans.Thus we can have fun when we're free.Sometimes I make a phone call when I have very important news to tell and I feel too urgent.

Submitted by TRAN TRIET on Sat, 11/04/2020 - 10:33

I prefer to speak to friends to make plans.

Submitted by Vu Minh Phuong on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 16:51

With me, I prefer to speak to friend to make plan. It's convenient and to save more time.
Profile picture for user Berny Herrera

Submitted by Berny Herrera on Tue, 07/04/2020 - 03:42

For me, social media and other apps are useful in order to communicate with people who aren´t there physically but sometimes we waste the time texting or sharing things without importance at all and we forget those people who are near to us physically. By the way, I got a question for everyone who likes to comment. The question would be: How much important are the apps and social media for you in order to take advantage on an area, learning any subject or developing a skill, for example? Thanks in advance!

Submitted by Breynner on Sat, 04/04/2020 - 17:16

Nowadays, "the face to face" have lost importance among people around the world and It is ever so difficult to try getting a conversation like decades ago without cell phones, so in my case, my friends are penfriends ´cause every one prefer using technology and media instead of talking face to face

Submitted by Mirwais Safi on Tue, 31/03/2020 - 05:58

i usually call and sent voice message when i want to communicate with friends, nowadays i prefer to sent text message because talking on phone take long time and most of time friends are busy and they are not able to answer especially to voice message and it is difficult to hear my message.
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Sat, 28/03/2020 - 21:58

I prefer to write text messages to my friends when making plans.

Submitted by E_great on Fri, 27/03/2020 - 03:23

It depends, but I usually prefer to send text messages.
Profile picture for user Sergei Baskakov

Submitted by Sergei Baskakov on Sat, 21/03/2020 - 13:42

I use a lot of social networks and use many emojis in my text messages

Submitted by HMida on Fri, 13/03/2020 - 14:37

The advantage of messages is the possibility to contact many friends at the same time. This allows us to decide more easily the destination and the time of our meet

Submitted by pacha809 on Sun, 08/03/2020 - 08:43

As my family lives far from me, in Belgium, while I live in the South of France, we usually use modern means of commuications as "Whatsapp or Viber" or text messages to keep in touch each other. So every day, I can see and hear my children and grand-children. To specify the dates of our meetings or the dates during which we babysit the children, we always use SMS. It is more prudent not to forget the periods

Submitted by s4lemm on Wed, 04/03/2020 - 00:18

I usually send lots of text messages to my friends, or if we together we speak to make plans. I also hate to talk on cellphone, I really prefer text messagens.

Submitted by Noor2008 on Thu, 27/02/2020 - 22:45

I like to speak to my friends if we making plans over the phone

Submitted by Noor2008 on Thu, 27/02/2020 - 22:17

Hi Sahra can we go out tomorrow I’m off my work so I was thinking if we can go to dinner and cinema, if you don’t have any other plans and we can have fun like old days
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Sat, 15/02/2020 - 16:54

I prefer to send messages

Submitted by Adriana Menegale on Mon, 27/01/2020 - 11:39

I preffer send a voice message or call to my friends when we make plans

Submitted by smga22 on Sun, 26/01/2020 - 04:53

I prefer to send msg through WhatsApp to my friends. In-office if I am in a meeting and someone is calling me. I send a short message.

Submitted by Vidyasagar on Sat, 25/01/2020 - 16:55

It depends. I usually send text if don't want to prolong the conversation. Sometimes, when i feel its urgent, i make a call to speak.

Submitted by MaryaSun on Mon, 20/01/2020 - 14:39

i usually send to my friends a lot of messages but, sometimes, i send them only one vocal message to plane our meeting.

Submitted by Berenice on Thu, 02/01/2020 - 03:17

I have a wrong in a comment because I wrote they haven't available and the correct is they aren't available

Submitted by Berenice on Thu, 02/01/2020 - 03:01

I prefer to send messages to my friends, sometimes they haven't available to speak.

Submitted by Ai Nguyen on Thu, 26/12/2019 - 08:38

I prefer to send text message to friends to make plans. Making plan usually takes time and there are a lots of changes during the process such as time, place, participants, activities, etc. With message, I and my friends can easily update the changes.

Submitted by masoma123 on Thu, 19/12/2019 - 08:42

it depends on my situation, sometimes I have time and credit then I call to my friends, otherwise I prefer to msg him or her.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Sat, 14/12/2019 - 14:38

I prefer to speak with my friends by phone. but sometimes I send text messages to them.

Submitted by Laura390 on Mon, 09/12/2019 - 19:16

Today the massages help to speak when be in the work or cannot respond the cell phone, so I have to write, but I prefer speak

Submitted by babosanay on Thu, 05/12/2019 - 00:17

I prefer to speak to my friend to make any plan or just talk. But if I need to make a plan with someone who I don't know much, I would send a text message first for his/her consideration and make a call.

Submitted by elit.sw on Tue, 26/11/2019 - 11:40

I always prefer to send text messages if I am contacting an English speaker friend. I have more time to think and I can review my text before sending and correct it if there is any mistake.

Submitted by Dariusz on Sun, 03/11/2019 - 01:05

I depends. I prefer send text of messages by phone but not too much, however I sometimes call because is the fastest way to communicate.

Submitted by HRN1970 on Tue, 29/10/2019 - 16:11

I think there is a mistake in Task 1 ! . There is nothing about having drink in the chat! so the answer of "They are going to have a drink" should be false.

Hello HRN1970

The first person mentions going for a drink in the first line of the conversation. When the second person says 'Cool', that indicates that they like the idea, that is, that they agree to have a drink. This is why the correct answer is True.

All the best