A phone call from a customer

Listen to the phone call from a customer to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Junko: Hello, Junko Mori speaking. How can I help you?

Andrea: Hi, Junko, it's Andrea here from Red Band. I'm calling about our latest order.

Junko: Everything arrived OK, right? We got the delivery confirmation at our end.

Andrea: Yes, everything's fine with the order. I'm calling about the invoice and the payment terms. I need a favour.

Junko: A favour? What do you need?

Andrea: This is a little, er ... difficult, but I need an extension on the payment terms. I know they're usually 30 days, but we're having some cash flow problems. You'd really be helping us out if you could extend it to 60 days.

Junko: I'm not sure if I can do that, Andrea. We've got regulations at our end, and also have to manage our own cash flow.

Andrea: I promise this won't become the norm, Junko. Actually, I also want to place another new order. The same size order as last time. It's for an important customer and they pay on delivery.

Junko: I see. So your cash flow problem will be solved after this new order is delivered.

Andrea: Exactly.

Junko: That sounds good. Hold on, Andrea. Let me see what I can do. Yes, I think we can make an exception this time.

Andrea: That's great, Junko. I appreciate your help.

Junko: And we appreciate your business, Andrea. It works both ways.

Andrea: Thanks again, Junko. Can you send me a quick email confirmation of the payment terms extension?

Junko: Sure, no problem. We're happy to help you.

Andrea: Great. And I'll email you the new order.

Junko: Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it. Talk to you soon.

Andrea: You too. Goodbye.

Hello Vusale

While it may be true that 'Andrea' is more often the name of a woman among native speakers of English, around the world, it is a name given to both men and women. The Andrea in this phone call is not a native speaker of English, so it's not unusual for him to have this name.

All the best

Submitted by MedScience on Sun, 07/06/2020 - 12:58

Hi. Is there any other listening audios apart from these

Hello MedScience

These are all the pages at the B1 level in our Listening skills, but there are many other pages in General English. I would recommend you have a look at a few pages in Big City Small World, Audio zone, Podcasts, Video zone and Word on the Street (though please note these last two have video, not just audio). Each of those sections has many more pages and you can continue with whichever one you like the most.

Hope this helps.

All the best

Submitted by Adri on Sat, 06/06/2020 - 14:37

If I had a company, I would deal all to my customers for similitary because I think that make exceptions with only some customers itsn't well.
Yes, I agree with that but sometimes I don´t think it is a problem to open a small exception to a client if it is something important and obviously not to let it become a routine or abuse.

Submitted by tramngoctran on Thu, 04/06/2020 - 00:35

Until now, I don't have a chance to work directly with customers. I work with my team, and my leader with contact with them. But I hope that I will have a chance to do it and get many experiences, or something like this

Submitted by Jangchutshomo on Sun, 31/05/2020 - 17:59

Can someone please tell me how to select multiple answers and put in two groups. I am having problem in task 2.

Hello Jangchutshomo,

To place a second item in one of the boxes, make sure you drop the item on the box itself (it should be marked dark grey) rather than on any answers already in the box. If you drop an item on an item already in the box then it will swap them; if you drop it on the box it will add the new item.

Submitted by Lilian.omune on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 10:40

I think making exceptions is very important for important customers but also benefits on both sides should also be highly considered.

Submitted by Abu obayda on Tue, 26/05/2020 - 14:43

For me, this is due to the regulations where I work.

Submitted by mouna99 on Tue, 26/05/2020 - 11:48

Yes, when it comes to important customers I do exceptions and favours because I always deal with them

Submitted by Codjoah on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 18:32

Hi I work in a National youth entrepreneurship fund an we fund or finance young people projects. Now when the terms of payement arrive, the young entrepreneurs have some cash flow difficulties and aske for extension. Obviously we give them the extension they ask for. however, the extension don't suit them because they activities don't grow up

Submitted by Ayano on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 16:46

Hello, everyone! I'm Japanese and I'll introduce tradition of Japan to everyone today. It is warabimochi. Have you ever eaten it? It is a kind of Japanese confectionery and tastes so soft and cool. Usually, we eat warabimochi with soybean flour, powdered tea, or dark molasses. Personally, I like to eat warabimochi with soybean flour and dark molasses best. Warabimochi has a long history. It was eaten by the Emperor Heian. Furthermore, it was also emergency provisions for the people on a farm. It is easy to make Warabimochi. It made from powdered warabi, water, and sugar. This is just three ingredients. Warabimochi is famous in Nara and Kyoto so there are many famous shops of Warabimochi. In my opinion, it is not famous for among foreigners than such a like sushi and tempura. However, like a warabimochi, many people in Japan eat Japanese confectionery now and these are low sugar and a calorie. If you want to eat something to sweet, I recommend you eat Japanese confectionery because these are so as sweet as cakes and snacks, but these are more health. For example, Japan has Dango, Daihuku, Monaka, Senbei and so on. It is difficult for everyone to travel to Japan now but if you come to Japan, you try to eat various Japanese confectionery.

Submitted by Miho Watanabe on Wed, 20/05/2020 - 08:47

I work as a clerk at a super market in japan. Customers often says to me, "I forgot my point card. what should I do?" So I always make exception for the customer, and I give 1 week to the customer to bring the point card. I think this is very good to keep good connection between clerk and customer. Thank you.

Submitted by Tu Le on Wed, 20/05/2020 - 05:13

In my opinion, do favors or make exceptions for customers needs to be considered carefully to ensure benefit for both sides.

Submitted by IBRAHIM HAMID on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 16:04

I think to do favour or makes an exception is important for success of any business that controlled by rules (an invoice, payment terms,....etc).

Submitted by Albert Marambio on Tue, 12/05/2020 - 03:59

In my opinion I could do an excepction ,just if I have the same amount of money in case my customer does not comply with the extension.

Submitted by Rehaf on Mon, 11/05/2020 - 23:58

wt we call this accent?

Hello Rehaf

As far as I can tell, Junko has a light Japanese accent and Andrea has a light Italian accent.

All the best

Submitted by AlejoPB on Mon, 11/05/2020 - 19:56

Yes, on some occasions a had done an exception with an important client my last job. I think that is so important to help our clients and customer when we can do something, as long as that keeps the company's rules, is important to be flexible, due to anything could be happened in anytime.

Submitted by Bhre Satriavi on Sun, 10/05/2020 - 16:36

i'm still get dificult when speaker was saying "30 days" it's sound err i dont i can't hear clearly

Submitted by mgalezzo on Fri, 08/05/2020 - 01:53

I think that is very important to maintain a good client, for these reason I always do favors to whom need.

Submitted by senes19 on Tue, 05/05/2020 - 17:57

Last year I worked an English course in Turkey as a receptionist. Sometimes we encountered same this situation. We can have flexible decision. Because important clients are raising up any company or not. If you interesting wit him very well, you will enforce.

Submitted by rerre on Tue, 05/05/2020 - 01:42

Would it be wrong to say "You'll really help us" instead of "You'll really be helping us"? I don't know the difference in this situation. Thank you

Hello rerre,

Grammatically it would not be wrong and it would make sense. However, certain phrases are simply more commonly used by convention and the continuous form is generally used. A common alternative would be 'It would be a great help'.

If you check the transcript you'll notice that we use would rather than will. This is a more polite way of expressing the same thing in this context.

Hi Peter, Thank you for your explanation! It was very helpful. rerre

Submitted by Sharif Tayyebi on Mon, 04/05/2020 - 21:44

I have studied criminal law. This is a great and very enjoyable dispute between philosophy of law that the rules should be flexible or they should be constant or fixed. In spite of those dispute, I should say that the rule constancy has many experimental and useful function. Firstly, it helps people to know about their rights and obligations. Secondly, it will become our habit and we would act very well and without any problems by the rule consistancy. Thirdly, managers and other people cannot behave illegal against customers. And so on. But we should be more flexible is a necessary in our lives especially in business. A good rule or law is that can manage our lives and allows some sensible exceptions which are necessary.

Submitted by Sharif Tayyebi on Mon, 04/05/2020 - 21:18

Thank you so much for this nice website, but I ask for downloading the audio if it is possible!

Hello Sharif Tayyebi

You're very welcome! You can download any of the audio on our website (but not video). It's easiest if you use a computer -- just right-click on the audio player and then choose the 'Save audio as' option.

Let us know if you have any trouble with that.

All the best

Submitted by cjrodriguezc on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 15:57

I am an evaluation manager, so different evaluation consulting firms and independent consultants submit to me their products under certain contracts. Just a few of them have requested some exceptions in terms of new dates to present the expected deliverables. Most of the time, considering the timely submissio of previous deliverables and the need to get quality products, I have accepted their requests.

Submitted by lualopezbe on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 01:26

I think the rules is makes for help us, but sometimes the rules can interfere, so, in this cases we can do one exeption. For me is reallly importan be flexible and act with intelligence and common sense in this way we can modify the rules in some specific cases.

Submitted by aiyahya on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 00:31

If I am a supplier, I would make favor to my strategic clients. I will do my best to get their loyalty by giving them exceptions in price, payment terms and what they need without cause harm to the organisation.

Submitted by Ronake on Tue, 28/04/2020 - 23:59

I think you have to allow the extension , only for customers that you know well. Your loyalty customer, you have to be sure that they will pay you and don't make trouble in your cash flow.

Submitted by roi0581 (not verified) on Mon, 27/04/2020 - 20:54

Yes, I extended a terminal payments to my friend for a year...

Submitted by nicolam998 on Mon, 27/04/2020 - 12:25

I don't have a my activity and I don't manage customer directly. Anyway I think that it is useful helping customers if you can do it. In fact if you dont help the customer he could have serious issues and this situation could compromise his future business also with you.

Submitted by Maddalena on Sat, 25/04/2020 - 19:31

Well, I can't really answer the question because I don't have a company and I'm not a supplier. I just can imagine what I would do or not. I think it depends on the amount of the order. Maybe I could make en exception if the order is not very big and expensive. It also depends on the costumer, I mean... if he's a reliable one, why not ! We have to trust more the people, even if sometimes that's not easy !

Submitted by abushehab56 on Sat, 25/04/2020 - 01:57

of course, but with consideration for other customers without damaging them

Submitted by riquemecone on Sat, 25/04/2020 - 01:07

I do not have a company as well. But, in my point of view it is very important to do favours or make exceptions for important and not important clients, but these attitudes shoud not be recurrent. Good luck to everyone and be safe.

Submitted by Marin on Fri, 24/04/2020 - 20:08

I have learned some new words as a supplier but apart from that it has been very easy to understand since I have understood everything and it has not been a very long audio as it has not been very heavy.

Submitted by Isaac Pedraza 3rE on Fri, 24/04/2020 - 11:14

This listening wasn't difficult to me. I could follow the listening perfectly and the vocabulary was not very complicated. The activites were short and simple.

Submitted by ademyonet on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 17:53

Exactly, I did a favour for important clients. For example, a my customer had cash flow ten years ago. He was very hardly, so we helped him. He paid about after two years. Two years ago, an another customer wanted us payment terms extend. we accepted but he didn't do what he said.

Submitted by Masas on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 01:42

I don't have company so i can't answer this question,but bit as general i did a lot of favours until this moment be the way when you do a favour for someone you are feeling that yourself hape. Notice: If i have some mistake own my massage please correct me .

Submitted by Eva Villaverde on Wed, 22/04/2020 - 14:14

It was not difficult for me to follow this audio and it has helped me to expand my vocabulary. The activities have been quite easy although I was wrong in one. Next time I will repeat this level until I get 100%.