Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and tips and do the exercises.
Dear Ms Leitman,
I am writing to request your help following a change in my circumstances.
As you know, I am enrolled on the Basic Spanish course at your college, which starts in September. However, due to unforeseen family events, I have had to leave the country for a while to assist my parents in Hong Kong.
At present it is not clear when I will be able to return and unfortunately I will not be able to start the course as planned.
I would like to request a refund for the course fees already paid. I apologise for the short notice and for any inconvenience caused. In the event that a refund is not possible, I would be grateful if you could postpone my enrolment until my return.
Thank you in advance for your help and I hope to be able to update you on the situation soon.
- Organise the letter clearly into:
- The reason for writing
- The nature of the problem
- The outcome you'd like
- An apology for the inconvenience
- Don't go into too much personal detail when explaining the problem, as this is a formal situation with a person you don't know well.
- To make polite requests use the phrase I would be grateful if you could …
- Using nouns instead of verbs can make your writing sound more formal. (For example, instead of My circumstances have changed, say There has been a change in my circumstances.)
- Sign off Yours sincerely, if you know the person's name and Yours faithfully, if you don't.