Text messages to a friend

Read a text conversation between two friends to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text
Neira
online

Hi Aziz! Are you there?

15:57

Hello? Hello?!?

16:03

Hi! I'm here! I'm here.

16:04

Good. smiley

16:04

What's up, Neira?

16:05

Would you like to meet for a coffee?

16:05

Yes! When?

16:05

I'm working now, but I finish work at five. Maybe at 5.15?

16:05

That's difficult for me. Can we meet 30 minutes later?

16:06

OK. Where?

16:06

The Blue Café is nice. I love the tea there. heart

16:07

It's closed on Mondays. Let's go to Rocket Boy. It's new.

16:08

Is it good?

16:08

It's very good!

16:08

Where is it? I don't know it.

16:09

It's next to the school. See you there?

16:09

See you there at 5.45!

16:09
Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

A1 English level (elementary)

Submitted by Alma Guadalupe on Wed, 18/11/2020 - 20:18

I met my friends in my childhood, that is to say in elementary school. We usually meet once a year, and we watch movies but we also share our anecdotes. Disputing the food and flavored water made by my parents.

Submitted by Jessica Santam… on Wed, 18/11/2020 - 20:12

Hello! I hope you are all well, I want to share how I am coping with the pandemic that everyone is going through. I haven't seen my friends in over 8 months, and I stopped talking to them, I really have a lot of things to tell them, we have stopped talking for a while. But not all is lost, a week ago I visited my best friend from Teree High School, it was her birthday party and my classmates were there. It was so much fun to meet so many of them!

Submitted by María Celeste on Wed, 18/11/2020 - 19:57

I meet my friends at Starbucks, usually at 6 pm when we finish work, but now I meet them over the phone due to the quarantine

Submitted by Ehsan on Sun, 15/11/2020 - 19:31

There's no special place for me and my friends to meet. I see my friends often in the evening.

Submitted by Davis on Sun, 08/11/2020 - 16:59

I used to meet with my friends in the university cafeteria from Monday to Friday at 9 pm. Now, I always meet with them online through the Zoom app.

Submitted by Khin Khin Htet on Sun, 08/11/2020 - 14:47

I meet my friends when their birthdays have , and also my birthday. And usually we meet at donations and weddings of friends. But It not always . Only one or two times a year! When we meet , we cook and eat something at one friend home .We meet on the whole day from morning to evening. It was the happy times! The last meet is six months ago. Now , we can't meet each other whatever because of Covid-19. And, I sometimes met my partners on Saturday Evenings. They aren't my friends. But we have understanding and kindness each other. We usually went to restaurant and we talk about our job , and then went back to home before night.

Submitted by Georges Mchantaf on Fri, 06/11/2020 - 12:03

I always go out with my friends Abed and Marwa to a nice Cafe in Saida, south Lebanon. But recently and due to COVID crisis we are looking for other options where we can feel safe.

Submitted by alexiaimogen on Thu, 22/10/2020 - 06:46

I often met my friend in a cafe or sometimes when we've got no money we just met in one of our houses. We usually meet before 12.00 and finished at the night or sometimes we do sleepovers.

Submitted by Babyshuang on Sun, 18/10/2020 - 22:02

I have meet my friends online once a week, because of we didn't live in the same area.

Submitted by Reol. on Mon, 12/10/2020 - 01:16

I don’t hang out with friends so instead I’ll be talking about where me and my cousins go. So the place we usually meet is each other’s houses around 3 to 5’o clock. It’s always had been fun to see their faces, playing games together, walking to the café’s together.. It never bores me, and I really cannot be separated from them no matter what happens. The three of us were brothers in arms.

Submitted by habibao.medo on Sat, 03/10/2020 - 15:24

almost of the time we go to each other houses at any time

Submitted by Pola on Mon, 21/09/2020 - 19:05

I like meet my friends at the Costa Coffee, really I love this place it is smooth and its coffee is very special and tasty I usually like to meet my friends at round 10 on the morning.

Submitted by Asni on Sun, 20/09/2020 - 21:27

Where do you meet your friends? What time do you usually meet? I used to meet my friends at the bus stop near the university...We didn't have a favourite place, we used to go to some cafe or a fast food restaurant where we could order an ice cream, a smoothie, o some other drink with a snack. The time depended on the classes schedule, we used to get together when we were free. If we had to meet on the weekend, then that was usually in the afternoons after 5.00 p.m. to take a break and relax after having studied a while during the day.

Submitted by Roblox on Sun, 06/09/2020 - 14:21

I meet my friends after work sometimes in the mall or in the club.

Submitted by Faheem Khan on Wed, 19/08/2020 - 16:25

i meet with my friends at there home. we offenly meet at bazar and supermarket.

Submitted by Maria19 on Tue, 04/08/2020 - 21:02

I usually meet my friends at a coffee shop or sushi bar. We meet in the evening or on the weekend.

Submitted by Youssef Er-rafay on Wed, 08/07/2020 - 18:57

I usually meet my friends everyday in evening to go skate , but the ones that they don’t skate , we meet on a restaurants in the weekends to catch up the last news.

Submitted by Fatemeh.Najafzadeh on Thu, 02/07/2020 - 00:17

I usually meet my friends at the weekends. We frequently go away to stunning spots in Ireland to visit beautiful nature.

Submitted by Ronake on Tue, 30/06/2020 - 23:17

I meet my friends, every weekday after work. We meet in the main street at 5;30 p.m. Sometimes we meet one hour later if someone has to do shopping or stay late at job. We go to our favorite coffee, we usually take black tea and a slice of lemon cake. We relax and enjoy our time together. This is how we keep our friendship for ages.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Thu, 25/06/2020 - 12:54

My friends and I prefer pubs in the center with good food and craft beer. Time? Usually in the evening after work

Submitted by casssioesousa on Sat, 20/06/2020 - 02:10

I usually meet with my friends in the shopping mall, at seven p.m., after work.

Submitted by Thucuoi on Wed, 10/06/2020 - 10:25

i usually meet my friends at the weekend, normally on Sundays because i am very busy with my job on weekdays. we often gather at home and have a small party, make some favorite foods. we eat, drink and chat together. sometimes, in the evening, we go to the coffee shop for a change.

Submitted by eshan.saif on Sat, 06/06/2020 - 20:07

I usually like to meet my friends in any open places like any park or any other open field and we like to meet each other in the afternoon. If want to say more specifically it will about half-fast four in the afternoon.
Profile picture for user Onur

Submitted by Onur on Thu, 04/06/2020 - 15:13

I usually meet up with my friends at a cafe which is called "TeTe". We generally get together at the evening. Btw, due to corona, we have not been meeting for a long time.

Submitted by Sharif Tayyebi on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 20:08

I normally meet my friends at work or home, and I hardly ever go to cafes or restaurants. This is because I don't have enough time to meet my friends on cafes. I also prefer to get away from restaurants and cafes, because they aren't mostly clean, especially in Afghanistan I don't like to go such a places. When a friend offer me to meet him/her in a cafe or restaurant, then I often reject him/her. Sometimes, if I don't have time or there is no other place to meet each other, I will accept my friends. I would rather to meet my friends on holidays, especially on Fridays than other days. But it is necessary to meet one friend of mine, I prefer to meet him in the afternoon. I should truly say that I haven't seen my friends after March, you know this is because we are in quarantine now and I don't want to make health problems for my family members, society and my friends. So, now social networks like Facebook or Watsup and so on make it easy to get or be in touch with friends. These days, I am usually in touch with my friends and colleagues via these ways. Of course, I suggest you to stay at home to be healthy. I hope to return back at normal days very soon. Thank you so much M. Sharif Tayyebi

Submitted by Arisha Elkina on Mon, 18/05/2020 - 04:15

I usually meet my friends in school.I meet all of my friends in 11:30 pm.

Submitted by mouna99 on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 17:16

I meet my friends at fast foods, from 6pm to 8pm

Submitted by c.lopes23 on Fri, 15/05/2020 - 01:48

I usually meet my friends in my house in the afternoon

Submitted by BOU Hamid on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 23:46

I meet my friends in the coffee. We usually meet in the evening.

Submitted by Enrica Waruwu on Sat, 02/05/2020 - 14:27

I usually meet to my friend every weekend at restaurant. We got some tea and enjoy it.

Submitted by jason2295 on Mon, 27/04/2020 - 00:22

I often meet my friends at a supermarket. There we can find store where we can have lunch or drink something like coffees or teas.

Submitted by Djoo on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 07:53

I aften meet my friends in Classicos Coffee and some times in Havana Coffee. Usually we meet at 6.15 p.m

Submitted by FRANCY JACQUEL… on Tue, 21/04/2020 - 19:48

I usually meet with my friends the weekend for cafe drink or beer in the evening after to 6 pm

Submitted by Reza 2020 on Sat, 18/04/2020 - 09:01

I usually meet my friends at coffee shop or restaurant. we meet each other every time we need but usually our meeting will be at weekends.

Submitted by Melsaied264 on Sat, 11/04/2020 - 03:38

I normally meet my friends on the weekends at a cafe beside our workplace it is very near to the beach, they offer excellent drinks in there.But the disadvantage of this cafe is always crowded.

Submitted by regina1 on Wed, 08/04/2020 - 07:27

I usually meet my friends on weekends at their homes or we plan for picnic to a park, we do not meet at a cafe very often because I get allergy from smoking. I meet them at about a quarter to eleven or eleven thirty, so we can enjoy our time.
Profile picture for user Berny Herrera

Submitted by Berny Herrera on Tue, 07/04/2020 - 04:30

I´m not accustomed to text to my friends, only when it is necessary. And when I do, I typically try of sending the message complete instead of typing messages like: "ok", "btw", "IDK" and things like those. It might be because of I´m not a teenager, or I´m not too virtual guy or something like that.
Profile picture for user zabiullah

Submitted by zabiullah on Sun, 05/04/2020 - 15:10

reading section is very interesting i would like to read more and do the tasks...it is very trecky we must pay attention to do better exercises...i appreciate the english team always help and response us....bist regards zabi
Yes, I definitely agree. Those exercises demand too much at the time of analyzing the statements when they are or not true.

Submitted by V on Sat, 04/04/2020 - 02:05

I usually like to meet my friends either at their home or at mine in the evening.
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Tue, 31/03/2020 - 15:07

I often meets with my friends after work at social centre and on social platform, at evening time.
Profile picture for user Sergei Baskakov

Submitted by Sergei Baskakov on Fri, 27/03/2020 - 16:57

I don't often meet friends, unfortunately, because I work and live in another city. When I lived in my hometown, we almost always met every day before 6 p.m.

Submitted by upendarreddy on Wed, 18/03/2020 - 02:56

i often meet my friends at the cafe in the evening during the weekdays. my friends and me normally gather at the restaurant in the afternoon at 1'O clock on Sundays.

Submitted by Luis Miguel 33 on Tue, 17/03/2020 - 16:37

I found it interesting and suitable for my students.

Submitted by pacha809 on Fri, 06/03/2020 - 10:28

Where do you meet your friends? What time do you usually meet? In our small village, there's a lot of activities for people of the third age. We usually meet our "old" friends when we participate at the activities. We also meet friends at the restaurant We usually have our meetings at noon. At our age, It's better for our digestion