Finding the library

Listen to a conversation about the university library to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Student: Hi. Excuse me.

Student B: Yes?

Student: Where's the library?

Student B: The library? It's next to the registration office.

Student: Ah ... sorry, I'm new. Where's the registration office?

Student B: No problem. See the big building over there?

Student: Yes.

Student B: OK, so that's the lecture theatre. Next to that, on the right, is the registration office. And next to that is the library.

Student: I see. Thanks!

Student: Hello?

Librarian: Hello.

Student: Is this the library?

Librarian: Yes, it is. Quiet, please.

Student: Oh, sorry. Thank you.

Librarian: Can I help you?

Student: Er, yes, please. I want to borrow some books. What do I need?

Librarian: You need a library card. Here's the application form. You can take up to six books maximum today.

Student: OK. Six books.

Librarian: Yes. You have two weeks to read the books. Then you bring them back.

Student: And if I'm late?

Librarian: Every day you are late there is a fee of fifty pence.

Student: OK, 50p a day. Er, anything else?

Librarian: Mobile phones must be switched off in the library. You can bring your laptop, but please use headphones to watch videos or listen to music.

Student: OK, great.

Librarian: And you can't bring food or drink.

Student: No food, no drink. And ...?

Librarian: And please speak quietly! People are working here.

Student: Oh! Oh, OK. Thank you.

Librarian: You're welcome.

Submitted by DEICY on Sun, 11/10/2020 - 16:05

I prefer read E- books, in fact is very easy

Submitted by msn1900 on Wed, 07/10/2020 - 17:54

In my country,there aren't many libraries.Most of young people don't read and only spend their time on social media.When I was at university,I had been once there and the reason to go is just for visit.

Submitted by elena.polyantseva on Wed, 16/09/2020 - 09:48

Hi! I live in a big city and I have the library nearly my home. I go there in the summer and borrow books for out-of-class reading for my high school children.

Submitted by mauld on Wed, 09/09/2020 - 01:59

Since I'm a student at university, I used to go library and borrow love stories. Now I love read online book. They're more utilities when I go out.

Submitted by Maria19 on Fri, 04/09/2020 - 08:31

Yes, I have a local library. Since I graduated from school, I actually stopped going to the library and borrowing books. Apart from the fact that today there is accessibility to everything and thanks to that for technology.

Submitted by Lysa on Sat, 29/08/2020 - 18:47

We have a library in my city recently builded but I never been there because it is not too big. Also, I do not like read books, I prefer read scientific articles at home.

Submitted by Faheem Khan on Fri, 28/08/2020 - 03:02

yes here is a big library thats called the central library. i ofenly goes there for reading a newspaper and books. and i also learning new concepts there which can help us in the future.

Submitted by shelly on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 08:28

When I were a college student, I went to library almost everyday except vacation. In the library there are many lecture theatres for our students to study with our classmates. And you could also borrow books if you apply for a borrowing card. Nowdays I rarely go to library as in my living county there is a small library and it is a little far from my house. But sometimes my daught and I ride to a book store where we could read or borrow books, now and then some volunteer teachers would give some interesting lecture and I really like its content.

Submitted by Antonio Alves on Wed, 12/08/2020 - 20:45

When I was a child, there was a library near my house. It's still there, but now is different, it's modern. I liked to read and I often borowed books there. I learned so much with that books.

Submitted by MARIANO_HB on Tue, 11/08/2020 - 21:19

Actually I used to go to the library when I was in college. I used to go every day, it was a nice place for me. I remember that I visited it only when I had exams.

Submitted by ErichPD on Sat, 08/08/2020 - 16:55

I never go to the library, i buy or download the book what i need.

Submitted by Phan Bao Dung on Tue, 28/07/2020 - 17:32

My city has a lot of libraries but I rarely go there. I usually come to my university's library to learn myself, read my favorite books, and look for some materials for my subjects.

Submitted by Alifaraax on Wed, 22/07/2020 - 16:40

I have not library in my town but i have one at my university it's back of the office of the university it has intruction which should have to follow everyone who will like to enter it. No food,drinking,talking are not allowed inside the the library.

Submitted by I am on Wed, 22/07/2020 - 07:30

In my city located a two of large central library and more than a 10 of small. Also each of educational organisation have own library. Earlier, when i was a student, I've attended the library frequently. But, now, when I am working, I've visiting the library rarely. For the last time i used this place to preparing to exam in my professional sphere of activity. In my opinion, in this time of rising informational technology people more rarely using the library. But this organisation should exist, because she has an significant impact in educational and professional sphere.

Submitted by Ahmad_Khalil on Tue, 21/07/2020 - 10:32

Yeah there many libraries in the city where I live, It's a big city, but I rarely do there, usually, I got books from the internet.

Submitted by percynet on Mon, 20/07/2020 - 12:05

In my neighborhood there is not library. We use online library.

Submitted by Miri85 on Sun, 19/07/2020 - 15:52

I have a few library close to me but I don´t use them so often, just sometimes if I need borrow a book. However for three years ago when I studied Swedish I went to the library almost every day.

Submitted by syah on Sun, 19/07/2020 - 12:21

Yes my city has local library. It is located in downtown. I only went there once when I am in Junior High School to search for some literature that I use for my study. Beside that, my school also has library on the scond floor. Almost every day when I am in school, I go to library with my friends. I read some books and discuss about anything with my friends there.

Submitted by Andrerenre on Fri, 10/07/2020 - 15:01

Yes, there is a private library in my city. I go there often to read some novels and when I need a quiet place to study

Submitted by Dastenova Firuza on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 15:15

Yes, there is a local library in our country, but I don't often go there I usually buy books and read them any time.

Submitted by sara1412 on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 10:31

yes ,we have local library . From time to time i go , i do read a book or watch movie in there from my laptop .

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Mon, 06/07/2020 - 13:54

I often visit a book shop as well. ;)

Submitted by bren on Mon, 06/07/2020 - 05:19

Yes, there is a local library in my hometown. Actually, I never go there because the library is very crowded and narrow. I can imagine how uncomfortable there. So, I usually go to coffe shop for doing my homeworks or study for exam. It is more comfortable and cozy place to study.

Submitted by 7Elhoussaine A. on Fri, 03/07/2020 - 15:18

Yes, I have a local library near my home.

Submitted by fatfat on Fri, 03/07/2020 - 12:00

yeah, there is a local library in city center. I previously went a lot there and studied lessons for exams but I am not going anymore.

Submitted by EWS on Thu, 02/07/2020 - 14:05

I am not sure, because this is a small town but in my previous live place I visited the library but just a few times.

Submitted by Onur on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 19:11

Yes I do. However, I never go there. I study at home. I have a cosy and quiet room. Therefore, I have never needed to go there.

Submitted by Ronake on Sat, 27/06/2020 - 22:19

Yes, I have a library in my city and it is a helpful library for all students. It's large and quite spacious, with all the books that you need for your studies. The fee per month, is reasonable and you can borrow take 3-5 books for the day, read them for one month and you don't have to pay a fee for delay. I enjoy spending my time with other students there, sharing our knowledge and helping each other.

Submitted by Federico Benitez on Wed, 24/06/2020 - 21:35

Sincerely, i haven´t been in a library for a long time. I feel quite confortable read o whatever i have to do in my own house. But i would like to try to go there and see how i feel :)

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Mon, 22/06/2020 - 13:51

I like browsing a book. :)

Submitted by Selin on Mon, 22/06/2020 - 06:43

Yes , there is a library in our community. I went to the library almost every weekday before the COVID-19 pandemic. I joined a English corner every Thursday morning. Sometime I read magzines or novels there. The library is also a good place to meet friends, my friends and I used to play puzzles there.

Submitted by joshnamep on Sun, 21/06/2020 - 17:17

There are one which is quite far from my room, but I have never used it. I often go to my school library instead it is cooler there. I usually visit the library to take a rest and finished my homework.

Submitted by hangnt5 on Sat, 20/06/2020 - 03:58

I remember when I was a student, I often go to the library to prepare for my examination, I like to go to the library because I like reading the book when I have free time. Now, I work,. I don't often go to the library, but when I need to read the book, I will find them in the internet

Submitted by Hennadii on Wed, 17/06/2020 - 17:11

I have three local libraries. One of them for kids and the other two are for adult. But I haven't been there for ages. I used to go to the one of the my local and the one near my job but not I have an e-book and it makes things easier.

Submitted by MAE on Fri, 05/06/2020 - 06:11

Yes, I do. Now, I am studying at Lancaster University where has a really modern library there. However, because of coronavirus, I couldn't be there and have to use one-search online to finish my dissertation.

Submitted by Asni on Thu, 04/06/2020 - 21:54

I used to go to the university library to prepare for my exam only when I couldn't do it at home, that used to happen each time that I felt tired, bored or discouraged. I also used to go there when I had homework or project that I needed to work on with other students. I'm not very fond of going to public places like local libraries. I'm the kind of person who needs complete silence to concentrate, so I prefer to study or read alone at home in my room.

Submitted by Shaista on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 15:57

I go to library twice a day...infact I've bought books from myself ....I prefer to go library there're numerous books which help me alot

Submitted by Ram74 on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 16:42

In fact, I rarely go to the library because I am using the net to get books.

Submitted by amal.araia on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 00:17

Yes we do. I go once of twice a month to read same foreign magazines and news papers.

Submitted by Santiago Perez on Tue, 26/05/2020 - 02:01

I remember and miss when at school and in the university often I went to library. Now when I need read a book, frequently I bought or find it in internet.

Submitted by Ivanox76 on Sat, 23/05/2020 - 06:30

Unfortunately, Nowadays I do not use the library, because all the information taht I need is in the internet, however I really miss those times.

Submitted by JEANMi on Mon, 18/05/2020 - 07:40

Yea, I have some local libraries in my city,but too far for me.

Submitted by moy_israel on Mon, 18/05/2020 - 03:56

Hi! I learned with this lesson some things. a) The verb "To borrow". In Mexico, don't' existed one verb for "pedir prestado" we use the words "pedir" and "prestado". b)The mean of "Lecture theatre". c) The phrasal verb "To bring back". I have many problems with remembering phrasal verbs. In sum, it was a great lesson.

Submitted by mouna99 on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 14:25

Yes I have a local library, I rarely go there, I only go to borrow books

Submitted by c.lopes23 on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 19:28

Yes, I have. I go to there every week. I borrow the books

Submitted by Titi on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 19:24

Well, in my country we only have one library which is french cultural centre situated in downtown to enter that library you have to have your library card, that card also allows you to borrow some books within the space of two weeks but i just went there two times because i possess a tablet whihch facilitates me to Google everything i need todays.