Ordering in a café

Listen to people ordering food and drinks in a café to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Customer 1: Can I have an orange juice, please?

Server: Regular or large?

Customer 1: How big is a large?

Server: This is a large. This is a regular.

Customer 1: I'll have a large, then, please. Without ice.

Server: OK, coming up.

Customer 1: Sorry, I wanted freshly squeezed orange juice.

Server: I'm afraid we only have bottled juices.

Customer 1: Oh, then I'll have an apple juice instead, please.

Server: Here you go. That's £3.50, please.

Customer: Thanks.

Server: Thank you.

Server: Can I help anyone?

Customer 2: Who's next?

Customer 3: You were first, I think.

Customer 2: What teas do you have?

Server: Breakfast tea, mint and green tea.

Customer 2: A mint tea and a slice of lemon cake, please.

Server: To eat in or take away?

Customer 2: Take away, please.

Server: There you go. That'll be £4.20, please.

Customer 2: Sorry, I've only got a fifty.

Server: That's OK. Here's your change … 5, 10, 30, 50.

Server: Who's next?

Customer 4: Can I have a ...

Customer 3: Sorry, I think I was in front of you.

Customer 4: Oh, sorry!

Customer 3: Can I have a chocolate chip cookie, please?

Server: Would you like a drink with that?

Customer 3: No, thanks. Just the cookie.

Server: OK, then. That's 95p, please.

Customer 3: Thanks. I think that's right.

Server: 50, 70, 80, 85, 90, 92, 94, yep, 95. Thank you.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by jonon on Sun, 05/07/2020 - 23:53

well ever single morning I like to buy snacks

Submitted by qziad on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 16:50

sometimes I buy coffee and snacks when I am in the work

Submitted by Thandar win on Mon, 29/06/2020 - 16:35

Very effective class for me

Submitted by Ronake on Sun, 28/06/2020 - 21:01

During weekdays, in my break time, I go to our nearest cafeteria to take away a drink. Usually, I buy orange or lemon juice, because they include many vitamins and are fresh to drink, so I gain energy for the rest of the day. And for snacks, I prefer to get them from my home instead of buying them in the cafeteria.

Submitted by Ragdaalamin on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 08:29

i often buy when i am in the work ..and some time ask my husbend bring some desert to home from cafe.

Submitted by joshnamep on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 05:05

it is quite often, when I hang out with my friends we chose a coffee shop and order cakes and drinks.

Submitted by hangnt5 on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 03:00

I rarely buy drinks and snacks from the cafes, I just buy them when I go to the cafes with my friends at the weekend. And when I travel with my family. I always buy drinks and snacks from the supermarket, it is cheaper. I like freshly squeezed juice because it is good for health. I don't like fatty food. instead I like vegetable.
Profile picture for user Caterina Siligardi

Submitted by Caterina Siligardi on Sun, 21/06/2020 - 17:30

I seldom buy drink or snacks in coffees. That can happen when I get on travel to go the mountain or to the beach in the Summer.

Submitted by haydeecolli on Fri, 19/06/2020 - 20:29

I sometimes go with my friends to a coffee shop called Las Violetas.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Fri, 19/06/2020 - 15:25

I buy coffee or snacks pretty often. Actually, mostly coffee. I'm a coffee nerd and just can't imagine my life without it. Talking about snacks, I prefer something with meat, especially when I'm in a rush and don't have much time for eating at home and cafe

Submitted by Khdog on Thu, 18/06/2020 - 07:35

Yeah I like buy from cafe sometimes when I be with friends or my sisters.

Submitted by Salva77 on Sun, 14/06/2020 - 15:10

Sometimes when I have free time I like to meet friend in a coffee shop to talk to them and drink a good coffee

Submitted by Nsengir on Fri, 12/06/2020 - 10:30

I go to cafes five times a month.

Submitted by Asni on Fri, 05/06/2020 - 19:10

I usually buy drinks or snacks from cafes about once a fortnight. Sometimes, more often. I like freshly squeezed juice with a slice of chocolate cake, a cookie or a pastry.

Submitted by eshan.saif on Tue, 02/06/2020 - 18:16

I rarely go to cafes as i don't like fast food items or any other rich food. I prefer home made food than the fast food items. Besides, it seems to me the drinks and snacks of cafes are unhygienic. That's why i try my best to avoid these as much as i can.

Submitted by Shaista on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 17:19

Not very often...yes sometimes whenever we're in group

Submitted by Teresa Chi on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 15:29

sometime, but i never buy coffee

Submitted by Leonardo Lisboa on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 06:37

Sometimes. To drink a coffee (in a coffee shop) in my city (and my country almost generally), I have to go to the shopping mall, because here is allways very hot.
Profile picture for user ILYES

Submitted by ILYES on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 10:30

Each time separately , in the morning i take drinks and snacks , in the afternoon I take only drinks

Submitted by facuabel on Sun, 24/05/2020 - 15:38

i sometimes going to cafe and stay eating there with friends.

Submitted by mouna99 on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 14:29

I often buy snacks from cafés because it's near to my class

Submitted by Hrachia on Thu, 14/05/2020 - 10:36

I rarely go to cafe, but in our country you can have a freshly squezzed apple juice only for 1 pound.)

Submitted by c.lopes23 on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 20:01

I sometimes buy drinks or snacks

Submitted by cittàutopica on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 12:10

I often go at cafés because I like drinking Italian coffee and staying in for a nice chat with my friends.

Submitted by konatenasty on Fri, 08/05/2020 - 10:51

I like to cook at home and inviting my friends to enjoy my freshly squeezed fruit cocktail without sugar and my spécial cake.I am a good an cake and juice are my specialities.

Submitted by Hello from Russia on Wed, 06/05/2020 - 20:11

not often

Submitted by Fatemeh.Najafzadeh on Wed, 06/05/2020 - 01:25

I rarely buy drinks or snacks from cafe, because it’s expensive and I’d rather to buy anything from markets.

Submitted by Phuc tran on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 01:29

Sometimes, i go to the coffee with my friend. We order something to drink like coffee, fruit juice, milk tea. And after that, we have had some pleasure story to talk about daily life in my country.

Submitted by Kitty pretty on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 06:41

actually i rarely go to cafe, because im not to like cafe, i more like go to market or restaurant

Submitted by Youssef Karfouh on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 15:53

i rarely do when i hang out with my friends , we take some snacks but not from coffe , because there are many snack shops here arround my hometown .

Submitted by Emirito on Tue, 21/04/2020 - 20:55

Rarely, I buy a drink at a café because it is more expensive than the market. However, when I am traveling in places different to my city, I buy local or traditional drinks like coffee, mojito, some kind of juice.

Submitted by Ronake on Sat, 18/04/2020 - 23:47

Almost everyday, in my break time i used to buy a Caffe and a slice of chocolate cake in the nearest caffe.

Submitted by nguyenthihoanb0510 on Thu, 16/04/2020 - 03:23

after having a salary, I and my friends often go to shopping, then I usually buy a freeze matcha with ice cream in the Highlands coffee. because of corona virus, i came my country so I can't it.

Submitted by FRANCY JACQUEL… on Fri, 10/04/2020 - 13:00

I oftenment buy drinks and snacks for eat in home with my daugther or myy frineds, seeing films. I like very much.
Profile picture for user zabiullah

Submitted by zabiullah on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 18:17

actually i rarely buy drinks and snacks from cafe or restuarant. bxz where i live i could not to find any cafe. but sometimes my friends and i go to market for shopping after that we go to cafe and order some fresh fruit joices... we enjoy with each other this is very pleasure time for all of us. this situation feels me to establish new cafe near my house to offer some drinks and joices for our people...

Submitted by Aya Sayed on Mon, 06/04/2020 - 22:57

Sometimes I go to a cafe and I prefer to drink french coffee with a piece of chocolate cake .

Submitted by Yuzana on Wed, 01/04/2020 - 04:51

Sometimes, I buy some drink in cafe and prefer to drink orange juice than the others.

Submitted by babul chandra shil on Sun, 29/03/2020 - 04:23

In our country situation is different. There are so many tea shop near to road side. I frequently take my breakfast road side tea shop. Usually, i drink red tea and bread, sometimes banana and cookies also. And evening when i return from office i eat butter naan with vegetables and a cup of tea twice in a week. Other day take noodles and some local fast food.

Submitted by Nane on Fri, 27/03/2020 - 21:14

Hi! I often buy drinks and snacks from cafés. I often visit a cafeteria with my husband, we buy strawberry shakes and croissant. Regards, AM

Submitted by Yenn nguyen on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 10:43

I often hang on with my friends and we drink tea milk, tea, fruits, eat several food snacks, talks about life and some private story, have fun talking.

Submitted by Khin Nyein Chan on Mon, 16/03/2020 - 01:56

I only buy drinks and snacks from cafe when I meet with my friends.

Submitted by jason2295 on Thu, 05/03/2020 - 23:57

Every morning my coworkers and I go to the Cafe store near to the office and we buy coffee for everyone. I usually like to drink an orange juice well freshly squeezed and eat a slice of bread. We also have a good time.

Submitted by s4lemm on Tue, 03/03/2020 - 12:11

Rarely, I usually have a snack at home or at work.

Submitted by Abdullah on Fri, 28/02/2020 - 09:33

I don't buy them from cafes... I buy them from supermarkets! i do it seldom, because I don't into them so much!

Submitted by Talha Munir on Tue, 25/02/2020 - 18:44

Some time I purchase snacks but usually I did not like it.. but I like cold drink with biryani, whenever I go to Bazar I ordered biryani along with cold drink..