Finding the library

Listen to a conversation about the university library to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Student: Hi. Excuse me.

Student B: Yes?

Student: Where's the library?

Student B: The library? It's next to the registration office.

Student: Ah ... sorry, I'm new. Where's the registration office?

Student B: No problem. See the big building over there?

Student: Yes.

Student B: OK, so that's the lecture theatre. Next to that, on the right, is the registration office. And next to that is the library.

Student: I see. Thanks!

Student: Hello?

Librarian: Hello.

Student: Is this the library?

Librarian: Yes, it is. Quiet, please.

Student: Oh, sorry. Thank you.

Librarian: Can I help you?

Student: Er, yes, please. I want to borrow some books. What do I need?

Librarian: You need a library card. Here's the application form. You can take up to six books maximum today.

Student: OK. Six books.

Librarian: Yes. You have two weeks to read the books. Then you bring them back.

Student: And if I'm late?

Librarian: Every day you are late there is a fee of fifty pence.

Student: OK, 50p a day. Er, anything else?

Librarian: Mobile phones must be switched off in the library. You can bring your laptop, but please use headphones to watch videos or listen to music.

Student: OK, great.

Librarian: And you can't bring food or drink.

Student: No food, no drink. And ...?

Librarian: And please speak quietly! People are working here.

Student: Oh! Oh, OK. Thank you.

Librarian: You're welcome.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by fatfat on Fri, 03/07/2020 - 12:00

yeah, there is a local library in city center. I previously went a lot there and studied lessons for exams but I am not going anymore.
Profile picture for user EWS

Submitted by EWS on Thu, 02/07/2020 - 14:05

I am not sure, because this is a small town but in my previous live place I visited the library but just a few times.
Profile picture for user Onur

Submitted by Onur on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 19:11

Yes I do. However, I never go there. I study at home. I have a cosy and quiet room. Therefore, I have never needed to go there.

Submitted by Ronake on Sat, 27/06/2020 - 22:19

Yes, I have a library in my city and it is a helpful library for all students. It's large and quite spacious, with all the books that you need for your studies. The fee per month, is reasonable and you can borrow take 3-5 books for the day, read them for one month and you don't have to pay a fee for delay. I enjoy spending my time with other students there, sharing our knowledge and helping each other.

Submitted by Federico Benitez on Wed, 24/06/2020 - 21:35

Sincerely, i haven´t been in a library for a long time. I feel quite confortable read o whatever i have to do in my own house. But i would like to try to go there and see how i feel :)
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Mon, 22/06/2020 - 13:51

I like browsing a book. :)

Submitted by Selin on Mon, 22/06/2020 - 06:43

Yes , there is a library in our community. I went to the library almost every weekday before the COVID-19 pandemic. I joined a English corner every Thursday morning. Sometime I read magzines or novels there. The library is also a good place to meet friends, my friends and I used to play puzzles there.

Submitted by joshnamep on Sun, 21/06/2020 - 17:17

There are one which is quite far from my room, but I have never used it. I often go to my school library instead it is cooler there. I usually visit the library to take a rest and finished my homework.

Submitted by hangnt5 on Sat, 20/06/2020 - 03:58

I remember when I was a student, I often go to the library to prepare for my examination, I like to go to the library because I like reading the book when I have free time. Now, I work,. I don't often go to the library, but when I need to read the book, I will find them in the internet
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Wed, 17/06/2020 - 17:11

I have three local libraries. One of them for kids and the other two are for adult. But I haven't been there for ages. I used to go to the one of the my local and the one near my job but not I have an e-book and it makes things easier.

Submitted by MAE on Fri, 05/06/2020 - 06:11

Yes, I do. Now, I am studying at Lancaster University where has a really modern library there. However, because of coronavirus, I couldn't be there and have to use one-search online to finish my dissertation.

Submitted by Asni on Thu, 04/06/2020 - 21:54

I used to go to the university library to prepare for my exam only when I couldn't do it at home, that used to happen each time that I felt tired, bored or discouraged. I also used to go there when I had homework or project that I needed to work on with other students. I'm not very fond of going to public places like local libraries. I'm the kind of person who needs complete silence to concentrate, so I prefer to study or read alone at home in my room.

Submitted by Shaista on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 15:57

I go to library twice a day...infact I've bought books from myself ....I prefer to go library there're numerous books which help me alot

Submitted by Ram74 on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 16:42

In fact, I rarely go to the library because I am using the net to get books.

Submitted by amal.araia on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 00:17

Yes we do. I go once of twice a month to read same foreign magazines and news papers.
Profile picture for user Santiago Perez

Submitted by Santiago Perez on Tue, 26/05/2020 - 02:01

I remember and miss when at school and in the university often I went to library. Now when I need read a book, frequently I bought or find it in internet.
Profile picture for user Ivanox76

Submitted by Ivanox76 on Sat, 23/05/2020 - 06:30

Unfortunately, Nowadays I do not use the library, because all the information taht I need is in the internet, however I really miss those times.

Submitted by JEANMi on Mon, 18/05/2020 - 07:40

Yea, I have some local libraries in my city,but too far for me.

Submitted by moy_israel on Mon, 18/05/2020 - 03:56

Hi! I learned with this lesson some things. a) The verb "To borrow". In Mexico, don't' existed one verb for "pedir prestado" we use the words "pedir" and "prestado". b)The mean of "Lecture theatre". c) The phrasal verb "To bring back". I have many problems with remembering phrasal verbs. In sum, it was a great lesson.

Submitted by mouna99 on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 14:25

Yes I have a local library, I rarely go there, I only go to borrow books

Submitted by c.lopes23 on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 19:28

Yes, I have. I go to there every week. I borrow the books

Submitted by Titi on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 19:24

Well, in my country we only have one library which is french cultural centre situated in downtown to enter that library you have to have your library card, that card also allows you to borrow some books within the space of two weeks but i just went there two times because i possess a tablet whihch facilitates me to Google everything i need todays.

Submitted by Phạm Hải Ánh on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 15:02

Thank you very much, the lesson is very good and userfully
Profile picture for user ILYES

Submitted by ILYES on Mon, 11/05/2020 - 18:15

Yes i have one at my university. I go their twice a week and spend about two hours reading books

Submitted by Cristhopher on Sat, 09/05/2020 - 22:36

Yes, there is a local library where I live, but, it is more for high students. I prefer going to my ex-University, where I can find a lot of engineering and techonology books, and also, sometimes I study there with people who ask me to teach them some math or physics topics. I really like that library because it is very well lit and has a beautiful view outside the windows, but what I don´t like at all is that sometimes the air temperature gets really cold, and I need to wear a jacket because my nose gets runny and have to go out.

Submitted by khalid jama Warsame on Sat, 09/05/2020 - 11:41

Hello. Unfortunately we don't have a local library, but I would love to visit the national one, which locates in the capital.

Submitted by Omar Hegazy on Fri, 08/05/2020 - 03:36

Hello from Egypt, We have a huge library in my city which is call bibliotheca Alexandria but I don't go there often.

Submitted by Hello from Russia on Tue, 05/05/2020 - 13:43

yes, we have, but I never been there.

Submitted by Fatemeh.Najafzadeh on Mon, 04/05/2020 - 03:19

We have a big library close to our house. My son and I go there once a week, on Tuesdays to join to mother and child gathering at the specific section in the library. My son has a lot of fun there. There are a few steps for children including reading book, playing with toys and other children, painting and ets. At the end of gathering we can borrow books and song CDs for children and ... . For the especial events like Halloween, Ester, Christmas and... there are many exciting celebrations for mothers and children.
Profile picture for user Bignon

Submitted by Bignon on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 18:42

I love reading a lot of book, but since my secondary school I don't go to library again, I find all I need in internet.

Submitted by Nafisa Tasneem on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 06:35

I am Nafisa.I have my school library and I borrow books from there.Every Week I go there and borrow books.

Submitted by DANIELAE on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 00:26

There is a Library in my City, but not is common go there because today It's easier find online information.

Submitted by feras on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 14:53

yes i have . it is near my house i go to libarary to read same books am study and listen to musice

Submitted by Youssef Karfouh on Mon, 27/04/2020 - 15:12

yes i have , there are a several of libraries here arround me 'cause i live in down town of my city , actually i rarely go there 'cause i don't like to . i prefer to read or study at home i think it 's quite calme

Submitted by miroslaw_kaw on Sun, 26/04/2020 - 00:19

Do you have a local library? How often do you go there? What do you do there? Yes, I hace a lot of libraries in my area, but I don't visit them. I was several times at the university library during my studies. I was giving a classes form Maths to some girl. There was peace and quiet. Nowadays mostly university books are on the Internet in PDF version and somebody who is older has the book what I need for sure.

Submitted by Qurbanov Elbrus on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 19:24

I love library. In the library I feel myself very comfortable

Submitted by cittàutopica on Tue, 21/04/2020 - 19:10

Yes, in my city there are many libraries, managed by several public bodies (university, municipality, province). At present I don't go there, but I managed a library for eighteen years.

Submitted by Emirito on Tue, 21/04/2020 - 18:11

When I had a near library, I went on Saturdays. I stayed there for hours looking at books about geography, geology or medicine atlas

Submitted by Ronake on Sat, 18/04/2020 - 01:14

During my studies, i used to go regularly to the local library. it's a good way to learn in quiet place, and also there are your colleagues that can help your with lessons and other information about exams. There are also a lot of books , when you can do research about a specific field. I just can't switch my phone off , that gives me a stranger feeling, i used to check my phones about instead messages and notification, so i broke one of the main rules.

Submitted by Gladys on Wed, 15/04/2020 - 21:02

No, I don't have a librery near to my house

Submitted by SHELJA on Sun, 12/04/2020 - 13:44

Yes, There is a local library near my colony. I have a habit of going this awesome place every Sunday during mid-day fro couple of hours to read and schedule my day. Like saying, Books are the best friends so i like maintain such companionship with them. I like to read motivational books and newspaper which gives me insightful of knowledge about the world, great people around and their achievements. Moreover, I never use my phone in library to avoid distractions.

Submitted by Minerva on Fri, 10/04/2020 - 02:02

Hi, no I don’t have anyone near my house, but the main library in Mexico City in near the subway Balderas, but everybody knows this library, today is not necessary to go there because today exists internet.

Submitted by ss on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 23:08

Yes, we do have a library at the community center. Last time i had visited along with my toddler, they have a children section there were they can draw and colour on the drawing sheets which have printed with pictures of Disney characters. Eg. Princess Elsa, Smurfs etc. I don't regularly visit library. Some times.

Submitted by Sultan2020 on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 21:23

IN FACT I HAD SOMETIMES I GO TO THE LIABRARY IN MY COLLEGE YES I BORROW SOME BOOKS ABOUT MY DEPARTMENT

Submitted by Nan Mya Sin Th… on Tue, 07/04/2020 - 14:58

That listening veido is good and useful for my english language listening skills.
Profile picture for user shinhaphura

Submitted by shinhaphura on Tue, 07/04/2020 - 03:35

He...he... I listen to this conversation and had laughter quietly because of Mr. Librarian's voices, ;)