Chatting about a series

Listen to two friends chatting about a television series to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Man: So, did you see the final episode last night?

Woman: Of course! As if I would miss that!

Man: And?

Woman: It was by far the best episode, definitely.

Man: Yeah, totally. The dragon at the end and all the special effects in that final scene were amazing.

Woman: I loved that part! But I still don't think this series was as good as the others.

Man: Really? But you said you wouldn't want to miss it?

Woman: I know, but still … it's a lot more predictable than it used to be.

Man: But that's because the story has been told so well that all the characters are reaching their destiny now.

Woman: I don't know … before, anyone could die at any time so it was exciting! But, this series, no key characters died and we all knew they wouldn't. When Jaime fell in the water after the dragon attacked him, we knew he would make it somehow. And … oh, surprise, Bronn jumps in and saves him.

Man: They did kill some characters in this series, though. What was that one's name …?

Woman: Exactly, see! You can't even remember who died!

Man: Hmm. The only thing I didn't like about this series was that it was shorter than the others. Seven episodes instead of ten. Maybe they spent all their money on that dragon!

Woman: Right! I don't understand why they did it, as all the fans would happily watch ten episodes.

Man: I reckon that now they're not using the story in the books any more, they don't have as many ideas.

Woman: That would explain why they're not being as brave with the story too. It's more like a Hollywood film than a TV show now.

Man: So, is Tyrion still your favourite character?

Woman: You know … surprisingly, I think my favourite might be Cersei.

Man: What?!

Woman: She's so interesting! All the awful things she's done and the way she's just aiming for revenge, even though it won't make her happy. She still surprises us because we're expecting her to have a happy ending where she sees her mistakes and becomes a good person. But she never does, no matter what it costs her. She's unpredictable because we just can't believe anyone would be like her.

Man: I guess. You don't have to like a character for them to be your favourite!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Hello Marcos V,

There is a technical problem with our audio. I'm sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for telling us. We are working on a solution and hopefully the audio will be working soon.

Best wishes,

The LearnEnglish Tea

Submitted by Miho Watanabe on Mon, 13/07/2020 - 07:46

I don't know about films very well, so I can't imagine this film that is chatted by them. My favorite TV show is an program of animals because I like animals very much, and I think it has a healing effect. So I always watch not only Japanese program of animals, but also video of animals on my phone.

Submitted by martin olivares on Sat, 11/07/2020 - 21:08

game of thrones is by far my favorite show of all the times! I started to watching it when i was on high school a friend told me he was watching a new medieval serie where dragons can burn people ahahah so i decided to watch it and i really fell in love! i literally watched 3 seasons in like 2 weeks! but the ending wasn't the best, i expected more! i thought last season was poor but not poor in budget or cast but poor in history! I agree with the audio because without the help of the books the serie becomes very predictable!

Submitted by zambranonet on Mon, 06/07/2020 - 23:37

In my case, talking about Game Of Thrones, I think, at the begining it was very unpredictable so you don´t know where exactly could the story take you, but at the end it became more "Hollywood-like" Show. Right now I´m watching Modern Family, it´s kind of hilarious series about different type of families we see nowadays in our society. They show funny situations about daily life. One of the think I love is how they show the contrast between American culture and the Latin culture, and how they take with humor some taboos that we still have like racism, homosexuality, social inclusion, sexuality, etc.

Submitted by Sharif Tayyebi on Sat, 04/07/2020 - 06:03

In this case, I don't like watching series. I prefer to watch films than watching series. Series are usually long and they take a long time to complete. One series that I have watched it is the Black List. It was interesting, but I just watched four episodes. Then I quit because it was more than six episodes. Therefore, I don't know exactly what series they are talking about. Moreover, I don't watch TV shows at this time. Regards, Tayyebi

Submitted by Gabriel Rojas Esté on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 18:30

What series do you think this chat is about? What's your favourite TV show and why? I think this chat is about Game of Thrones. In this moment, my favourite TV show is a serie called "Peaky Blinders" and produced by BBC. It is about a Birmingham’s gang formed by three brothers, all of them first world war veterans. The production, the costume and the script are awesome and the characters very complex and unpredictables.

Submitted by Yola19 on Tue, 30/06/2020 - 18:26

I haven't got any idea about this series I don't like this kind of tv show. My favorite series so far is Grey's Anatomy

Submitted by Fernando Belmonte on Fri, 26/06/2020 - 18:34

As we could heard, obviosuly they are talking about a fantasy tv series but I don´t have enough experience to guess the program. Posibbly it had some references of the claimed tv show "Game of Thrones". In my viewpoint the best tv show that I have seen until now are clone wars animeted tales. That cartoon story gives you a general vision about the events between two of the movies.(the attack of the clones and the revenge of the sith) You can see a lot of landscapes, seascapes and cityscapes on the program, also there are a lot of creatures and aliens which stories have interesting connections with the principal events of the story.

Submitted by César Árraga on Sun, 14/06/2020 - 15:10

I haven't got any idea about that serie. To be honest I usually don't watch lots of series, one of those I watched was 'The Walking Dead' but I still don't have a favourite.

Submitted by iiiirx6 on Sun, 07/06/2020 - 11:30

I don't know which series they are talking about,but I suppose they talking about 'got' serious , my favorite TV show is 'friends' it's a quite gorgeous TV show, it helps me a lot for learning and I found out more vocabulary.
Profile picture for user Ayelén

Submitted by Ayelén on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 18:21

I don't know which series are they talking about in the chat, but seems like "Game of Thrones" or similar. Which I didn't watch so, I can't say. On the other hand, my favorite TV show in the last months have been "Start Trek". I started to watch it with my boyfriend and we found very interesting because they touch different topic in each episode that let us with a kind of philosophical thoughts. Is not interesting in the special effects, but the history, anthropology, psychology, ethics and how humanity could evolve in the future are very well presented.

Submitted by mouna99 on Tue, 26/05/2020 - 14:57

My favourite serie so far is Breaking bad

Submitted by Nagato on Sat, 23/05/2020 - 18:52

I dont watch I lot of series but I did watch the best series as la casa de papel, peaky blinders , breaking bad , arrow and Viking...., to me the best of them is Chicago police department . the story is about the best group of police in Chicago city which fight against crimes ! every they a new story and crime its a great serie furthermore there is a diversity in events because the series show us the special life of each one in the department.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Sat, 23/05/2020 - 14:51

I think the story of the series is about a human drama which depict the life of the characters who went through up and down in their life. ((o(б_б;)o))

Submitted by Austin on Sat, 23/05/2020 - 09:54

I have no idea what this series is, maybe game of throne or something related to that, I'm not a movie guy and not prefer to watch an adventure movie. my favorite tv series is called crazy ex-girlfriend which is a comedy movie, it always made me fun and the only tv series I did watch again, it has music and dancing components in it.

Submitted by pierreab on Fri, 15/05/2020 - 11:07

Hi, Too easy, GOT of course..I liked this series but my favourite series is "Downton abbey". A good series for learning English, and with exceptional actors...I love...

Submitted by mony13246 on Fri, 15/05/2020 - 01:41

My favourite serie is LUCIFER because he is so diferent, is evil and also he is an angel. It's a diferent story.

Submitted by BlaiChan on Sat, 09/05/2020 - 09:17

This chat is about " G O T " series. I have the same idea with her " it was exciting to watch because everyone could die at anytime. But the last series, we all know the key characters wouldn't and the way they finished others' destinies weren't surprised at all. " Anyway " G O T " is one of my favorite series all the times.
Profile picture for user rerre

Submitted by rerre on Wed, 22/04/2020 - 19:15

Hi! Please, I'd like to know: is it correct to rewrite the last sentence like this: you don't have to like a character because it's your favourite? Thank you!
Profile picture for user Peter M.

Submitted by Peter M. on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 07:12

In reply to by rerre

Hi rerre,

Your sentence is correct and has a similar meaning, with a slightly different emphasis.

Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Mon, 20/04/2020 - 15:21

My favorite television series are detective stories that are quite common nowadays. I'm not sure but maybe because of that, some detective dramas don't have a good screenplay enough to make audience get a good guess. But mostly, I enjoy them.
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Mon, 20/04/2020 - 14:59

The series in this chat refers to a set or sequence of related television programme or show. My favourite TV show is News line. The reasons being that is talks about current trends and happenings cutting across all sectors of the global economy.

Submitted by micaela on Thu, 16/04/2020 - 03:59

I think the speakers are talking about the serie "Game of Thrones". On the other hand , my favourite TV show or serie is "The adventures of Merlin" because I like the age of knights and witchcraft stories.

Submitted by conejo on Thu, 16/04/2020 - 03:52

I don´t Watch tv series, Then I don´t know about this story. If I could had free time, I´d prefer watching an interesting clasical movie.

Submitted by Ginapepa on Tue, 07/04/2020 - 02:08

I loved Game of Throne and Cerci was my favorite character too. I agree with them that the last episode wasn't as I was thinking it will be

Submitted by eulaliu on Wed, 01/04/2020 - 04:24

Hi, can you help me understand the last word the man said "You don't have to like a character for them to be your favourite!" I don't know the inner meaning of this sentence. Thank your so much in advance

Hi eulaliu,

The meaning here is

A character can still be your favourite even if you don't like them

Sometimes people's favourite characters are the villains, because they are often the most interesting or exciting characters. It's hard to say you like someone who is evil or cruel, but they can still be your favourite.

Submitted by Thuong144 on Fri, 21/02/2020 - 02:25

Hi there The women said " it was by far the best episode, difinitely." I can not understand the meaning of this sentense. Can you explain it? Thanks for your help!!!
Profile picture for user Peter M.

Submitted by Peter M. on Fri, 21/02/2020 - 06:45

In reply to by Thuong144

Hi Thuong144,

The core sentence here is 'It was the best episode'.

The phrase by far is a way of adding emphasis: by far the best = easily the best (nothing else is close).

The adverb definitely is another way of adding emphasis. It means that there is no doubt about it - the speaker is sure.

Submitted by huyentran on Mon, 17/02/2020 - 01:44

I have watched many TV shows, but my favorite TV shows are friends. It was a famous television show. This is not just a good movie but it also helps people learn English. Its content is very good with many good actors and it is also funny because it makes me laugh whenever I watch it. At first I just watched it to improve my listening skills but then I became interested in it and I thought it was a lucky thing when I could watch a great TV show like it.

Submitted by mayar00 on Thu, 09/01/2020 - 06:59

Hi, Dear.Greetings my dear My name is Mayra Rodriguez. a lady from U.S, i saw your profile and become interested in knowing you please contact me in my email address as a friend

Hello Mayra

It's great that you want to communicate with other people to practise your English, but I'm afraid our House rules don't allow you to share the kind of personal information you would need to do this. This is for legal reasons. I'm sorry for the inconvenience!

All the best

Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Sat, 04/01/2020 - 12:37

Perhaps..... detective series. They are guessing how the story ends.

Submitted by SpideyTeacher on Fri, 03/01/2020 - 16:36

Why do they say series instead of season?

Hello SpideyTeacher,

The use of 'season' for TV shows is quite a recent thing, at least in the UK. We always used to say 'series' and have only begun saying 'season' in the last decade or so. Before that, 'season' was used for sports leagues and so on, not for TV shows.

Submitted by Hung on Sun, 27/10/2019 - 03:18

Hi, can you help me? The woman says: Of course! As if I would miss that! I don't understand it. What does it mean? Can you explain it? Thanks in advance. H

Hello Hung,

We say 'as if...' when we want to show that something is so unlikely as to be absurd. The woman's response means something like 'I would never miss that!' or 'How could you think I might miss that?'

It's quite a common phrase in informal conversation between friends.

Submitted by gorelikova_yulia on Tue, 01/10/2019 - 11:08

I suppose they talk about the game of thrones. I tried to watch the first episode and it seemed for me boring.

Submitted by Amilah Zulkifli on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:14

I have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer, Chatting about a series, and Meeting an old friend.The level that I chose was intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by Aisyah Hassan on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:42

I have completed the following lessons of a Chatting about A Series. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by Izzah Insyirah on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:34

I have completed the following lesson A chatting about a series. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by fatin afiqah on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:18

I have completed the following lessons of Chatting About a Series, Arriving Late to Class and Meeting an Old Friend. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Sat, 14/09/2019 - 18:34

This series is about the dragon attacking people . My favorite TV show is with Moataz , because he clarifying what our government is doing and how the steal us.

Submitted by jonyion on Wed, 21/08/2019 - 13:46

no opinion.i haven't seen any america series

Submitted by starfish2019 on Sun, 11/08/2019 - 18:23

What series do you think this chat is about? What's your favourite TV show and why? This chat is about GOT (Game of Thrones) TV Series, one of the greatest TV Shows of all time in 4 years with 9.9 ratings on TV Series websites. Anyway, this Game of Thrones is one of my very favorite TV Show, because it has very great long stories, the sequel of episodes is very well organized, consistent and connected. Every time, this show motivate the curiosity to watch again and again until the end of seasons 8. It has very strong attractions to the audience with various kinds of feelings, such as happiness, sadness, tragedy, politics, sex and a lot other more I could describe. Anyway, this show is very well done and I like it!

Submitted by pam89 on Fri, 09/08/2019 - 12:39

I think is about Games of Trones. I don't have an opinion about this series because I have never watched it because it's not my type of series. I prefer other than this.

Submitted by naser.z on Thu, 25/07/2019 - 09:20

The Game of Thrones It has a good start, with amazing continue and disappointing final but i love it. After watching GOT i watched Friends. It's incredible with lovely character and i'm watching Shameless now

Submitted by nikoslado on Wed, 17/07/2019 - 16:26

Dear Team, I think in Task2, page3, the most logical answer is the third one.The suggested first one, for some reasons, doesn't seem to be the more correct. Am I right or not?Thanks again...

Hello nikoslado

I agree that this one is a little tricky, but I think the first option is the best one. For one thing, the man says nearly exactly the same thing (the fifth time he speaks), whereas he himself doesn't say anything that clearly supports either of the other options. He can't remember the name of one character, but that is different from the third answer option.

Does that make sense?