Meeting a new team member

Listen to a conversation between two new colleagues to practise your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Peter: Hi, my name's Peter. What's your name?

Carla: Hi, Peter. I'm Carla. I'm new here.

Peter: Welcome to the company, Carla.

Carla: Thanks, Peter. I'm happy to be here and it's nice to meet you.

Peter: It's nice to meet you too.

Carla: Where do you work?

Peter: I work in the design team. We sit over there.

Carla: I'm in the marketing team. I started last week.

Peter: You work in marketing? That's very interesting.

Carla: Yes, it is. I'm enjoying it. But there are a lot of new things to learn.

Peter: I'm sure there are. I'm happy to help you if I can.

Carla: Thank you, Peter. What do you do in the design department?

Peter: I design new products.

Carla: That sounds interesting. I plan marketing events for new products. So I think we'll work together sometimes.

Peter: That would be great. So, where are you from, Carla?

Carla: Brazil. And you?

Peter: I'm from the UK.

Carla: How long have you been here?

Peter: I've worked here for three years but I actually moved here from the UK five years ago, to study.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

A1 English level (elementary)

Submitted by ErichPD on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 16:59

If I know someone at work, who is just joining the company, first I introduce myself and tell him what I work for, then I ask him his name, I ask him when he joined and what his work team will be, then I offer him help in case you need support, in something that I know of. I try not to be impertinent, so as not to put the person in an uncomfortable situation, always maintaining formality and camaraderie.

Submitted by Phan Bao Dung on Tue, 28/07/2020 - 17:39

I usually talk about their hometown, current job, and hobbies.

Submitted by Mai Khin Nway Shein on Tue, 28/07/2020 - 10:48

I usually talk about where I am from, where do I work and what I am interested when I meet new people. I'm not interested in other people personality and I also hate who ask about myself.

Submitted by Alifaraax on Wed, 22/07/2020 - 16:54

I talk a lot of things but in most of time time i talk about science subjects such geology ,environmental science and I also talk about politics.

Submitted by I am on Wed, 22/07/2020 - 07:46

I tend to seek a common interest and speak about life, new interesting events , share my experience and emotion about travelling, books, music. If i meet colleagues or specialists in my professional sphere we talk about work, related issues and achievements. But more important is to hear your companion.

Submitted by Ahmad_Khalil on Tue, 21/07/2020 - 10:39

Usually, I introduce my self and my colleagues to him/her, asking him if he needs any help, asking him about his past experience in the field of work, and does he find the new place.

Submitted by Miri85 on Sun, 19/07/2020 - 16:05

Well, I suppose that depends with which person I´ll speak to. Probably about its origin, work and family.

Submitted by syah on Sun, 19/07/2020 - 12:31

When I meet new people, I ask their name first and where they come from. Then, after I introduce myself, I talk about several things according to the situation.
Profile picture for user Onur

Submitted by Onur on Sat, 18/07/2020 - 17:51

When I meet with somebody for first time, I generally wonder his/her hobbies and I would like to talk about them. If we have in common hobbies, it becomes nice to speak on them.

Submitted by sara1412 on Sat, 11/07/2020 - 03:33

I usually when meet people for the first time i behave them formal after that i introduce myself and ask her/him about name , country ,family and talk about any general matter .

Submitted by Dastenova Firuza on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 15:24

When I meet unacquainted people I ask questions according to situations. Of course I introduce myself, where they come from and so on.

Submitted by fatfat on Mon, 06/07/2020 - 13:00

When I meet people for the first, I usually behave them formal. After I introduce myself, I listen to him/her and we talk about family, job, adress etc. I tell her why I am here.

Submitted by jonon on Sun, 05/07/2020 - 18:22

introduce myself and aske for him ore her family
Profile picture for user EWS

Submitted by EWS on Sat, 04/07/2020 - 08:55

I introduce myself when I meet new colleagues at work

Submitted by 7Elhoussaine A. on Fri, 03/07/2020 - 15:48

When I meet people for the first time, I introduce myself self then we can talk about news, jobs, or something like that.

Submitted by qziad on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 16:11

usually I introduce myself and ask their name

Submitted by Ronake on Sat, 27/06/2020 - 22:38

Just simple questions, to break the ice and make them feel more comfortable as a new member of the company. Questions about their job experiences, qualifications, and the job that they are doing now. Also, I make sure to invite them for coffee during the break time ;) I always take care to don't ask and share personal stuff.

Submitted by Ragdaalamin on Mon, 22/06/2020 - 00:50

Iam not shay person so i introduse my self to them. Then i keep quiet till i know them. well the people they are dont know me they think i am proud

Submitted by joshnamep on Sun, 21/06/2020 - 17:30

I am an introvert, so I often finish it as a small talk and it is really hard to ask their contact information.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Sat, 20/06/2020 - 13:30

I usually have a small talk. :)

Submitted by hangnt5 on Sat, 20/06/2020 - 04:59

when I meet people for the first time, I always start to introduce myself, then I wait for them to tell me their name, usually, we talk about the weather, the food, our job, houses, our children, habit, If they are foreigners, what they came to work, studies or tourist. finally I aks them to tell me '' what do you think people of my country''.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Wed, 17/06/2020 - 17:35

It depends on the situation. If we meet at work we probably talk about what we do and in which department we work. It's good It's a good chance to build a new connection. It could help you to do your job or even get a promotion. If he (or she) is my friend's friend our conversation would be more casual.

Submitted by Khdog on Sun, 14/06/2020 - 22:11

we introduce each other, talking about same interests, maybe will be take phone numbers to keep communication.

Submitted by iisrimadanti20 on Sun, 07/06/2020 - 03:55

when i meet people for the first time, i always started to introduce myself

Submitted by Asni on Thu, 04/06/2020 - 22:08

It depends on where I meet them. Usually, I ask their name, where they are from, what they do for a job. If they are foreigners I ask them if they enjoy being here, and what they came for work, studies or tourism.

Submitted by eshan.saif on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 17:42

Usually when i meet anyone for first time i want to know about his/her profession and where have he/she lived. Sometime i ask them about their educational background.

Submitted by Basem Ali on Fri, 29/05/2020 - 16:11

When I Join to a new job, I meet many people are working in same place, we start introduce ourselves ,positions, what are the sepcific taks for every one?,and what the tasks we can work it together to reach the main goals for our company?

Submitted by Ram74 on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 16:56

I have to introduce myself if I meet people for the first time.

Submitted by amal.araia on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 00:08

When I meet people for the first time, I used to introduce myself, I say my name and wait for them to tell me their names. Usually we talk about the weather, our jobs, houses rents, transportation, life cost.
Profile picture for user ILYES

Submitted by ILYES on Fri, 22/05/2020 - 11:26

when i meating a new guys , first thing we get to know each other by asking the traditional question .... what's your name where are you from ...etc , all of that by smiling and comfortable way ^^
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Thu, 21/05/2020 - 15:13

When I meet people for the first time, I try social distancing, not to shake hands, and wear a face mask. _:(´ཀ`」 ∠):

Submitted by Nsengir on Thu, 21/05/2020 - 12:50

When I meet someone I generally talk about myself that daily things.

Submitted by mouna99 on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 14:26

I always start by introducing myself and asking them to introducing themselves

Submitted by Titi on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 20:21

Let me first think, well when i meet people for the first time, first i try to be relax by introducing myself and ask some questions such as his name, his studies or job second if the person is opened i move to other questions i mean personnel questions for example i can ask to know if a person is married or not yet last at the end of our conversation i show my happiness towards that person.

Submitted by c.lopes23 on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 19:35

When I talk to someone for the first time, I introduce myself and talk about hobbies or something in common for us.

Submitted by Cristhopher on Sat, 09/05/2020 - 22:48

When I talk to someone for the first time, I alway introduce myself by saying my name and greeting. I try to talk about light topics like work, weather and hobbies.

Submitted by Hello from Russia on Tue, 05/05/2020 - 17:04

When I meet people for the first time I prefer to introduce and talk about the job, family, and recreation.

Submitted by Fatemeh.Najafzadeh on Tue, 05/05/2020 - 00:37

When I meet a new person, I usually ask questions like: What’s your name? Where are you from? Where do you live? How long have you been here? What’s your profession?
Profile picture for user Bignon

Submitted by Bignon on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 18:57

I'm very a shy person so I don't talk a lot when I meet someone the first time. But when they ask me questions I can answered. In my country people want to know your age, if you are married and get children, what is your own language, your job etc..

Submitted by Kitty pretty on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 06:18

when i meet someone for the first time, i will introduce my self first, after that i ask about his name , where he from and ask about something else

Submitted by DANIELAE on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 01:12

When I meet people for the first time I usually talk about news and likes.

Submitted by Pam-Pam on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 16:31

when i meet new someone, first i will introduce myself, then ask him about name and country.

Submitted by feras on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 15:04

when i meet somone i introduce my self and ask him to introduce herself

Submitted by Youssef Karfouh on Tue, 28/04/2020 - 13:27

when i meet someone for the first time i introduce myself and and ask him/her/them too .

Submitted by federico on Mon, 27/04/2020 - 22:31

The first thing I do is ask him his name, his age and where he is from, then I ask him what his job is

Submitted by miroslaw_kaw on Sun, 26/04/2020 - 01:06

What do you usually talk about when you meet people for the first time? I ask the same questions which was asked in this dialogue. I ask about name, country and what somebody do in Poland, because I ask such questions especially to English tourists in Poland.