Finding the library

Listen to a conversation about the university library to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Student: Hi. Excuse me.

Student B: Yes?

Student: Where's the library?

Student B: The library? It's next to the registration office.

Student: Ah ... sorry, I'm new. Where's the registration office?

Student B: No problem. See the big building over there?

Student: Yes.

Student B: OK, so that's the lecture theatre. Next to that, on the right, is the registration office. And next to that is the library.

Student: I see. Thanks!

Student: Hello?

Librarian: Hello.

Student: Is this the library?

Librarian: Yes, it is. Quiet, please.

Student: Oh, sorry. Thank you.

Librarian: Can I help you?

Student: Er, yes, please. I want to borrow some books. What do I need?

Librarian: You need a library card. Here's the application form. You can take up to six books maximum today.

Student: OK. Six books.

Librarian: Yes. You have two weeks to read the books. Then you bring them back.

Student: And if I'm late?

Librarian: Every day you are late there is a fee of fifty pence.

Student: OK, 50p a day. Er, anything else?

Librarian: Mobile phones must be switched off in the library. You can bring your laptop, but please use headphones to watch videos or listen to music.

Student: OK, great.

Librarian: And you can't bring food or drink.

Student: No food, no drink. And ...?

Librarian: And please speak quietly! People are working here.

Student: Oh! Oh, OK. Thank you.

Librarian: You're welcome.

Submitted by Phạm Hải Ánh on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 15:02

Thank you very much, the lesson is very good and userfully

Submitted by ILYES on Mon, 11/05/2020 - 18:15

Yes i have one at my university. I go their twice a week and spend about two hours reading books

Submitted by Cristhopher on Sat, 09/05/2020 - 22:36

Yes, there is a local library where I live, but, it is more for high students. I prefer going to my ex-University, where I can find a lot of engineering and techonology books, and also, sometimes I study there with people who ask me to teach them some math or physics topics. I really like that library because it is very well lit and has a beautiful view outside the windows, but what I don´t like at all is that sometimes the air temperature gets really cold, and I need to wear a jacket because my nose gets runny and have to go out.

Submitted by khalid jama Warsame on Sat, 09/05/2020 - 11:41

Hello. Unfortunately we don't have a local library, but I would love to visit the national one, which locates in the capital.

Submitted by Omar Hegazy on Fri, 08/05/2020 - 03:36

Hello from Egypt, We have a huge library in my city which is call bibliotheca Alexandria but I don't go there often.

Submitted by Hello from Russia on Tue, 05/05/2020 - 13:43

yes, we have, but I never been there.

Submitted by Fatemeh.Najafzadeh on Mon, 04/05/2020 - 03:19

We have a big library close to our house. My son and I go there once a week, on Tuesdays to join to mother and child gathering at the specific section in the library. My son has a lot of fun there. There are a few steps for children including reading book, playing with toys and other children, painting and ets. At the end of gathering we can borrow books and song CDs for children and ... . For the especial events like Halloween, Ester, Christmas and... there are many exciting celebrations for mothers and children.

Submitted by Bignon on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 18:42

I love reading a lot of book, but since my secondary school I don't go to library again, I find all I need in internet.

Submitted by Nafisa Tasneem on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 06:35

I am Nafisa.I have my school library and I borrow books from there.Every Week I go there and borrow books.

Submitted by DANIELAE on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 00:26

There is a Library in my City, but not is common go there because today It's easier find online information.

Submitted by feras on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 14:53

yes i have . it is near my house i go to libarary to read same books am study and listen to musice

Submitted by Youssef Karfouh on Mon, 27/04/2020 - 15:12

yes i have , there are a several of libraries here arround me 'cause i live in down town of my city , actually i rarely go there 'cause i don't like to . i prefer to read or study at home i think it 's quite calme

Submitted by miroslaw_kaw on Sun, 26/04/2020 - 00:19

Do you have a local library? How often do you go there? What do you do there? Yes, I hace a lot of libraries in my area, but I don't visit them. I was several times at the university library during my studies. I was giving a classes form Maths to some girl. There was peace and quiet. Nowadays mostly university books are on the Internet in PDF version and somebody who is older has the book what I need for sure.

Submitted by Qurbanov Elbrus on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 19:24

I love library. In the library I feel myself very comfortable

Submitted by cittàutopica on Tue, 21/04/2020 - 19:10

Yes, in my city there are many libraries, managed by several public bodies (university, municipality, province). At present I don't go there, but I managed a library for eighteen years.

Submitted by Emirito on Tue, 21/04/2020 - 18:11

When I had a near library, I went on Saturdays. I stayed there for hours looking at books about geography, geology or medicine atlas

Submitted by Ronake on Sat, 18/04/2020 - 01:14

During my studies, i used to go regularly to the local library. it's a good way to learn in quiet place, and also there are your colleagues that can help your with lessons and other information about exams. There are also a lot of books , when you can do research about a specific field. I just can't switch my phone off , that gives me a stranger feeling, i used to check my phones about instead messages and notification, so i broke one of the main rules.

Submitted by Gladys on Wed, 15/04/2020 - 21:02

No, I don't have a librery near to my house

Submitted by SHELJA on Sun, 12/04/2020 - 13:44

Yes, There is a local library near my colony. I have a habit of going this awesome place every Sunday during mid-day fro couple of hours to read and schedule my day. Like saying, Books are the best friends so i like maintain such companionship with them. I like to read motivational books and newspaper which gives me insightful of knowledge about the world, great people around and their achievements. Moreover, I never use my phone in library to avoid distractions.

Submitted by Minerva on Fri, 10/04/2020 - 02:02

Hi, no I don’t have anyone near my house, but the main library in Mexico City in near the subway Balderas, but everybody knows this library, today is not necessary to go there because today exists internet.

Submitted by ss on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 23:08

Yes, we do have a library at the community center. Last time i had visited along with my toddler, they have a children section there were they can draw and colour on the drawing sheets which have printed with pictures of Disney characters. Eg. Princess Elsa, Smurfs etc. I don't regularly visit library. Some times.

Submitted by Sultan2020 on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 21:23

IN FACT I HAD SOMETIMES I GO TO THE LIABRARY IN MY COLLEGE YES I BORROW SOME BOOKS ABOUT MY DEPARTMENT

Submitted by Nan Mya Sin Th… on Tue, 07/04/2020 - 14:58

That listening veido is good and useful for my english language listening skills.

Submitted by shinhaphura on Tue, 07/04/2020 - 03:35

He...he... I listen to this conversation and had laughter quietly because of Mr. Librarian's voices, ;)

Submitted by Aya Sayed on Sun, 05/04/2020 - 19:59

Yes, I have a local library .I go there every 3 monthes .And I usually read books, listen to music and do chating.

Submitted by zabiullah on Sun, 05/04/2020 - 08:23

where i live it has two libraries sometimes i use library books for researches. these libraries have different rules if you want to take out books from the library you must have library card and if you want to study in the library you must be quit as well as siwtched off your phones...

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Thu, 02/04/2020 - 13:32

It's a shame that libraries are now closed due to COVID-19. (ノ_

Submitted by suganth on Thu, 02/04/2020 - 08:40

yes,i usually goes to my college library atleast once in 2 weeks ,generally I go to library to take books which is suggested by my course instructor :)

Submitted by Abdulilah on Sun, 29/03/2020 - 21:06

Yes I had , when I was studying at university i was going to read books and writing my home work and borrow some books in engineering department

Submitted by Andrew Brown on Sun, 29/03/2020 - 17:52

From where I live, we don't have a local library, but we do have one in school so often times I visit the library in school, mostly reading, newspapers, magazines, books on business, stocks and finance.

Submitted by Yuzana on Sun, 29/03/2020 - 16:37

There is a local library in my town, Lay Kay Kaw and the library has just been built. It was located in the center of town and fantastically decorated with wall paintings. I have never been to there because it has not opened yet. If it opes, I will use wifi to download documents which are really essential to improve my language skills.

Submitted by Daudau0601 on Sun, 29/03/2020 - 16:15

when i was a student, i often went to the library to borrow book and novel

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Fri, 27/03/2020 - 20:18

Yes. More often. I read my book there.

Submitted by Sergei Baskakov on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 12:55

I have many libraries near my house but I don't have a library card because I learn everything I need on the Internet

Submitted by AlejandraIlud22 on Mon, 23/03/2020 - 02:27

I have a library near me. I haven't visited a library in four years. Now I consult all the task on the internet.

Submitted by Diana Avila on Sat, 21/03/2020 - 21:46

When I was in the school I frequently visited the library in the center of the city and there my classmates and I search about different topics for our graduate work

Submitted by Lakbir othman on Sat, 21/03/2020 - 15:16

Yes, I had it when I was studying at university and i go there when i wanted read a book or do exercices

Submitted by HMida on Thu, 19/03/2020 - 16:28

I have an university library. it offers us to borrow some books. We can take up to three books today. And, we have one week to read these books. For evey day we are late there is a fee of five dollars.

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Fri, 06/03/2020 - 12:09

Whenever I visit a library, I wish I could live there as a bookworm, but actually I prefer reading books lying down! ;)

Submitted by Ali samer on Fri, 06/03/2020 - 10:23

iam studying English i want practice with any one ???
Hi! I studing English the same but my problem is when I become speak English, I`m so upset and I think I looking stupid, when I can`t explain something and prefer writing. How I can running of that problem? :/

Hello Stela,

It can be difficult speaking in a foreign language, can't it? We can feel a little bit silly, and think that other people might laugh at us. But is this how you feel when someone from another country tries to speak your language? Do you laugh at them? I expect you don't, and the truth is that we all react in this way. We know learning a foreign language is not an easy or quick thing, so we are encouraging and helpful. There's no reason for you to imagine that people won't be the same way with you.

Confidence is key, and the more you speak, the more confident you will be. When I learn a foreign language, I speak all the time to myself at home, or to my dog (who is very patient). I describe what I'm doing, I have 'conversations' with the radio or television, I describe what I can see in front of me and so on. In this way I learn to speak more quickly, even if my grammar is not perfect, and when I need to speak to somebody else it is much easier. I think this is the best advice I can give: speak at home and when you're alone - it really will help.

Submitted by Ali samer on Fri, 06/03/2020 - 10:22

it was a small library in my collage .I went ther when need book or surces for presentation

Submitted by Talha Munir on Tue, 25/02/2020 - 18:27

Yes, a very small library we have in our village, I can't come there(library) in my life, but I see it daily when I go to school, that's on my way..

Submitted by Eswar on Sat, 22/02/2020 - 06:08

Yes we have a library Which is 1 km From My Home , Me and my friends often go to library. to find the new books and magazines in the library.And read the books completely. It was great excitement to read the stories Which is published in magazines.

Submitted by IMEN ABBES on Thu, 20/02/2020 - 16:11

Yes I have a local library. I go there one time per week. I prefer read my lessons there and sometimes I borrow some books.

Submitted by Yenn nguyen on Wed, 19/02/2020 - 09:47

No. But I often go to the library in the school and borrow it. Just use library card you can borrow books . If you lose and tear, you have to pay for it. And must take care of it.