Changing a meeting time

Listen to two colleagues arranging a meeting to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Lucy: Hi, Anna. Do you have a minute to talk about the meeting next Tuesday?

Anna: Sure. We said 11, didn't we?

Lucy: Yeah, we did. But I have a bit of a problem with the time. Would it be possible to move it?

Anna: Oh, I see. We could postpone it to the afternoon, to 1 p.m., for example. Or bring it forward to earlier in the morning. What would suit you?

Lucy: Could we make it 9 o'clock? That would really help me. I have another important meeting in the central office at 12.

Anna: No problem. It's important you're there.

Lucy: Thanks a lot, Anna.

Anna: Do you need help with any preparation? Did you get the agenda I sent out?

Lucy: Yes, I did. And no, that's all fine, thanks. My report is ready and I'm looking forward to presenting it.

Anna: Great.

Lucy: I can tell Sven about the time change. I'll see him later.

Anna: Don't worry about telling Sven. I'll send an email to everyone to confirm the time has changed and with an updated meeting invite.

Lucy: Great. Thanks, Anna.

Anna: OK. I'm happy that works for you. We really need you there and it's good we don't have to cancel it.

Lucy: See you then. Have a good weekend in the meantime.

Anna: You too.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

A2 English level (pre-intermediate)

Submitted by REEEEEEEEEEEEE… on Thu, 07/01/2021 - 08:10

i'have been forced at school to make this HELP ME

Submitted by Minh on Wed, 06/01/2021 - 19:47

Well. at this moment I haven't arrange this, but I have organized the events for customers before that was crucial event in my company. If I remembered clearly, these were succeeded. Therefore, my boss was satisfied with me, so I was appreciate the talent person who have ability to handle of works by myself.

Submitted by sevenseas on Sat, 02/01/2021 - 18:16

At the moment, none. I just write them on my calendar and organize in order of priority,

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Fri, 01/01/2021 - 07:31

Yes, I'm a student so my meeting with classmates at 1.00 pm on zoom. In this pandemic, the students affect most. His learning and reading has stopped. In India classes close since 1 years.

Submitted by Rabia Syed on Thu, 31/12/2020 - 14:28

I have a meeting at 11 o'clock about our business Agenda. The will organize on Mobile app. I bear the net problem issues here. So this will having little bit problem for me. Let see How i can manage.

Submitted by fariba on Sun, 27/12/2020 - 08:18

i take part some meeting and i usually arrange well.
Profile picture for user Khin Yee Mon Khaing

Submitted by Khin Yee Mon Khaing on Thu, 24/12/2020 - 15:42

I don't have to go to the meeting.

Submitted by Esther_arvar on Wed, 09/12/2020 - 19:53

I am need to go meetings for my school, and I organizate with a agenda
Profile picture for user DJ Singh

Submitted by DJ Singh on Tue, 24/11/2020 - 12:15

We have our meetings in our offices' meetings rooms on regards to our ongoing project. The meeting organizer arranges our meetings on the official calendar. Which reminds us when the meeting is about to happen.

Submitted by Pola on Wed, 04/11/2020 - 17:37

My job isn't to make any official meetings but it just talking, there's no papers or presenting.
Profile picture for user Ana Luisa Sanchez Arroyo

Submitted by Ana Luisa Sanc… on Wed, 04/11/2020 - 03:20

At this moment, I have some interviews for get jobs, Usually I am available any time

Submitted by kzmyr on Sun, 01/11/2020 - 20:21

Profile picture for user Barbora V

Submitted by Barbora V on Mon, 26/10/2020 - 11:39

I ´ll have an on line meeting with my classmates of English course tomorow. It will be something new due the new sanitary situation in my country.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Fri, 23/10/2020 - 12:47

I'm still a university student.

Submitted by Samqaid on Tue, 20/10/2020 - 15:56

I have an interview meeting next Sunday with UNDP. . I always prepare a meeting on Zoom application with my line manager. I'mlooking forward to hearing from him again. I always prepare it well. The meeting will be 11 next week. . We will discuss about work agenda. What were results and achievements of already program
hello, i won a conversation with any person but i dont know how to i talk any one please guide me??
Profile picture for user Kirk

Submitted by Kirk on Wed, 18/11/2020 - 16:42

In reply to by muhammad sajjad

Hello muhammad sajjad,

I'm afraid our House rules don't allow you to share personal information such as your contact details. You might want to check out our Facebook page.

Submitted by ghada abk on Sat, 08/01/2022 - 23:11

In reply to by muhammad sajjad

Hi how is your English now ?

Submitted by Ugulhan on Fri, 16/10/2020 - 07:33

If I have some meetings with my job, then I will look at my time and day, seeing as the meeting of my position is important for me. If it will happen any issues with a day or time, then I would postpone the meeting to a later time or day, or I would bring forward an earlier time. Whatever, I would find a good solution.

Submitted by Moon Wathan on Tue, 13/10/2020 - 15:20

I often have the meeting to talk about our school and how to arrange the time table and before I have a vacation to go home. I didn't need to arrange anything for the meeting because I go to the meeting just listen and to know the information.
Profile picture for user Maria de Jesus

Submitted by Maria de Jesus on Fri, 09/10/2020 - 16:35

What meetings do you have to go to? Nowadays I have to go to meetings from Monday thru Friday to attend my school classes. The meetings are previously arranged and confirmed by my teacher. How do you arrange them? I accept an invitation to meetings and I confirm them. When my teacher needs to cancel or postpone a meeting, she moves the meeting and she brings it forward. In the meantime, I do my English Practice. Thank you! Greetings from Mexico.

Submitted by habibao.medo on Sun, 04/10/2020 - 09:48

i don't have any meetings this time i am just chilling
Profile picture for user shelly

Submitted by shelly on Fri, 18/09/2020 - 02:55

At the end of this month we are attending a big conference through the platform China paper- making Association. Our company participate this conference every year. Usually we need a month to prepare for it. Since we have a stall during the show time, we have to design the stall pattern and lightbox posts. It is really a tough time for the propagandist as the patterns have to be changed all the time so as to meet the manager's satisfaction. While it would a little leisure during the conference time, you could meet some potential friends talking about the special field you are working.

Submitted by zozo on Thu, 10/09/2020 - 14:02

I don't remember i arrange any meetings because i still didn't get that position to do so in my work feild,I only attend ones hopfully soon will be. family meetings i so good to do because it's always be fun even when it is seriose .

Submitted by HeinHtetKyaw on Fri, 28/08/2020 - 21:52

I'm going to arrange an urgent business meeting that is advantaged. First of all, I'm really appreciate you that lessons are useful and grate I love you British council

Submitted by biso01 on Tue, 25/08/2020 - 14:37

often i think the meeting in my company very bored due to lake of team soul and i do not find any advantage from this meeting and our boss could not manage the meeting with right way, i make some suggestions to get the meeting helpful to us but no one give me his ears.

Submitted by Rinaa on Thu, 13/08/2020 - 20:43

These days, I'm attending online meetings through platform Zoom. The aim of these daily meetings is to improve our English skills by discussing the different topics and to kill some time. We arrange the meeting one day before and we make sure to set the right time for all of the participants, so everyone could join the meeting. In a normal situation, when I had a job, usually we had a meeting every day when we discussed how to manage our time for accomplishing our tasks. Sometimes meetings can be boring and not necessary, especially morning meetings can ruin your day.

Submitted by MARIANO_HB on Wed, 12/08/2020 - 02:42

I every day have meetings, at least 3 times a day, some of them are permanent every week and others are arrange depending on many situations and how critical is it. All-time we program the meeting depending on the availability time of the whole team.

Submitted by Phan Bao Dung on Thu, 30/07/2020 - 09:03

I worked as a quality laboratory supervisor in a pharmaceutical company so I usually have meetings with laboratory technicians, section managers, and laboratory equipment suppliers. These are planned monthly or weekly meetings about developing plans and timelines to assure analytical support. But sometimes I also have unplanned meetings about the problems in the laboratory. So I always organize my work time strickly to meet the requirements of my position.

Submitted by Jerome NR on Tue, 21/07/2020 - 15:01

I want to know what should we prepare for a meeting?

Hello Jerome NR,

There are so many different kinds of meetings, I'm afraid it's quite difficult to give any advice without knowing more. You might try searching the internet on this topic to get some ideas.

Profile picture for user dariowins

Submitted by dariowins on Mon, 20/07/2020 - 22:43

Nice lesson and great contents, I am learning much and I love British Accent. Nice and wonderful job British Council

Submitted by fatfat on Mon, 20/07/2020 - 12:53

I have to go to the meeting about my job and Earlier I receive an email or text message by boss. The meeting date, time or place doesn't change.

Submitted by Min Htet Kaung Aung on Tue, 14/07/2020 - 15:01

Hi, I have listened to two stories before. But this time, l cannot play the audio.Whenever I press the "play” buttom, the notice "Sorry, Invalid video URL” appears.Please advise me what I should do.

Hello Min Htet Kaung Aung,

There is a technical problem with our audio. I'm sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for telling us. We are working on a solution and hopefully the audio will be working soon.

Best wishes,

The LearnEnglish Tea

You need to clear your browser cookies. I use Google Chrome and it always works for me

Submitted by Marceloac on Mon, 13/07/2020 - 01:07

In the quarentine my meetings are by teams or webex sessions. I have daily meetings with my team to discuss the project backlogs. Some times simple calls are turned into meetings or if happens any problem in the office the emergency meetings are organized.

Submitted by Dastenova Firuza on Sat, 11/07/2020 - 18:37

I usually go to different meetings at work. For example, educatiuonal,tutorial, scientific, methodical etc. I postpone my plans or sometimes take my works with myself to do if there is a cnance during the prolonged meetings.

Submitted by Rapershi on Fri, 10/07/2020 - 14:43

After pandemi We was often going to meeting about our works at school but now we working from home. We also hold meeting from zoom.

Submitted by hangnt5 on Wed, 08/07/2020 - 05:09

I have a meeting with my director at the end of the month. I must prepare the document for the meeting . we always discuss the financial situation of the company such as business results, total access, accounts receivable, accounts payable, financial statements. Because I am a general accountant. Then I have to make a financial plan for the next month. Sometimes when I do not prepare the documents, we could postpone the meeting to the first of the next month
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 16:13

Telling the truth I hate meetings. I think most of them are waste of time. I've visited hundreds of meetings and I would like to say - every other of them could be replaced by emails and phone calls. Honestly, you have to postpone your tasks going to a meeting to listen to someone's problems which you even not interested in. Then you return to your workplace and find another task in addition to those you've laid aside before. Yeah, I admit, sometimes you need to meet your colleagues face to face to discuss problems which can't be solved by mailing. But not twice a day, anyway.

Submitted by Suellen Esteves on Mon, 06/07/2020 - 01:04

I don't have meetings because in my country we are still in quarantine

Submitted by Asni on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 21:18

Hello, I would like to ask if there is some option for editing a comment after being posted ( but before being approved and published) . Many times, I submit a comment and just after that I realize it's incomplete or there is some grammar or typing errors, but it is too late to correct, Thanks for your attention
Profile picture for user Kirk

Submitted by Kirk on Mon, 29/06/2020 - 16:14

In reply to by Asni

Hello Asni,

No, I'm afraid there is now way for you to do this. I'd suggest you leave your comment for a few minutes after you've written it. Then if you read it once again before posting it, you will probably find such errors.

It's actually a good practice for your writing in general, too!

All the best

Submitted by Asni on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 21:10

For every project, we needed a number of meetings to assign tasks for the next delivery. Also, those meetings were important to control and monitor the work of each member of the team and estimate the costs so that if there were some deviation, we act urgently to deliver it on deadline. We used some kind of mobile application to arrange them. In this way, we can move, postpone or bring meetings forward anytime because everyone is easily reachable.

Submitted by abudo93 on Thu, 18/06/2020 - 10:23

In the meantime l don't have any meeting and also two next month that I have to go to get it, but in the past before coronavirus pandemic I was go to meeting every Friday with my friends or on wedding's family.

Submitted by Emily Mellor on Wed, 17/06/2020 - 15:21

We, all students in our class, have too much expectations on this trip. But the pandemic disease haven't finished yet. So, I wish to end this pademic disease very fast. You all do take good care of yourselves.

Submitted by Emily Mellor on Wed, 17/06/2020 - 15:08

As I am a student, I don't have meeting to go. During this quarantine, my close friends and me meet each other by using zoom meeting app. Every year, final part-1 students in University of Medicine have to go a trip in Myanmar. My friends and me made a group for this trip and we talk about our lives, experiences and play games through zoom app so that we can close each other. This is such a nice meeting for me. My friends, members of our group, are good-natured and helpful enough. I bet we will be the best group in the class.

Submitted by Mona22 on Tue, 16/06/2020 - 04:51