Talking about where you're from

In this video, Emir and Vanya learn more about each other. Listen to the language they use for talking about where they're from and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say

Do you know what to say when you talk about where you're from? Listen out for useful language for talking about where you're from. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this.

Emir: So where are you from, Vanya?

Vanya: I was born in Cambridge, but I live in Glasgow.

Emir: I've never been to Glasgow. What's it like?

Vanya: Oh, it's wonderful. There's always something interesting to do and the people are really friendly.

Emir: It sounds like a nice place to live.

Vanya: It is. I love it. What about you? Where are you from in Turkey?

Emir: I'm from Istanbul.

Vanya: Oh, I love Istanbul! I went once, but a long time ago. My favourite thing was baklava. I really, really love baklava!

Emir: Today's your lucky day, Vanya. I made it myself!

Vanya: Oh! These look delicious.

Yuna: Hi.

Vanya: Hi, Yuna!

Yuna: Can I?

Emir: Of course!

Yuna: Emir's baklava is the best. Thank you!

Emir: You're welcome.

Vanya: I love this place!

Ana: Hello again! Mmm, that baklava looks delicious! So, did you notice the useful phrases used for talking about where you're from? Listen to me and then repeat.

Where are you from?

I was born in London.

I live in Glasgow now.

What's it like?

It sounds like a nice place to live.

What about you?

I'm from Istanbul.

I love Istanbul.

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you talk about where you're from in English. Bye for now!

Do you need to improve your English speaking skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English speaking skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

Submitted by JouL on Tue, 17/11/2020 - 06:41

interesting and vivid lessons

Submitted by Ali Fikri on Sat, 14/11/2020 - 14:50

Hi, I'm from Sidoarjo one of the wonderful place in Indonesia.

Submitted by mrelvinaliyev on Thu, 12/11/2020 - 08:43

I am from Azerbaijan. I live in Ismayilli. Azerbaijan is good place to live and also here are have a lot of tourist places. For example Shaki Khan Palace, Karabakh, etc. We are brother with turkish people. I love Emir in this video. His paklava is seen wonderful. I also love paklava :)

Submitted by Theint Theint Phyo on Wed, 04/11/2020 - 09:00

I was born in Myanmar.It is an interesting which has many histoical places.Most people are polite and respect each other.

Submitted by SarahNadia on Sat, 31/10/2020 - 17:02

I'm from Indonesian it's wonderful country. The people are really friendly

Submitted by Momocompanyman on Wed, 28/10/2020 - 17:58

I from Algeria, it's wonderful, the food is really tasty

Submitted by Nurieta on Wed, 28/10/2020 - 11:05

I´m from Spain. Spain is a beautiful country where you can find, amazing beaches in the Mediterranean sea, you can visit lots of cities interesting, and you can enjoy with other people in diferent places, because the weather is normally so gut.
Dear Nurieta, I am interested in Spain. Unfortunely, I have never been there but absolutely I would like to go Spain. I heard the people are very nice. I want to do El Camino. :) Have you made it? :) I am from Hungary. There is the similar way in Hungary. It is just hiking but I love it. This way is longer than El Camino, so it would be more time to finish. :)

Submitted by Thair Theint T… on Fri, 23/10/2020 - 04:56

I'm from Myanmar, the Republic of the Union of Myanmar.

Submitted by Carlos Cabrera on Wed, 21/10/2020 - 22:05

I'm from El Salvador, it is a small city, but it's a beautiful place to live and the people are very nice, and them are very hardworking.

Submitted by menna emad on Wed, 21/10/2020 - 01:05

I'm from Egypt. Egypt has one of the longest histories of any country. it is located in north Africa. there are many wonderful places inside it such as (Dahab-Algona- sharm-alshiekh ... ) and historical places as well such as ( Luxor-Aswan). Egyptian people are Hospitable, Always Ready To Help and always laugh. it is really wonderful country

Submitted by Bharti Shukla on Sun, 11/10/2020 - 08:51

I'm from India. Do you know about India?India is the country of different states belonging to the different cultures yet we have a unity in diversity.... That's the sign of our civic sense.

Submitted by Moon Wathan on Sat, 10/10/2020 - 16:14

I am from Myanmar. Do you know my country? But I think you have already known Daw Aung San Su Kyi called the lady, the novel prize owner. She is state counsellor of my country. After that She is very famous and smart. People who live all over the world have known my country, Myanmar because of her. My country has many beautiful places and world heritage marked Pagoda in Bagan. You can see the traditional cultures and heritage long time ago. My country holds seasonal festivals every year. So, if you have time after the pandemic period, you should come to my country. People in my country are very friendly and helpful. Welcome to my country everyone.
Dear Moon Wathan, I love Asia. I have never been in your country but I hope once I can go to there. I love your culture. I saw some pictures about Myanmar and there were amazing. By the way I am from Hungary. Have you ever been there? :)

Submitted by Hyuka on Thu, 01/10/2020 - 15:20

I'm from Myanmar.It's developing country and there are many ethnic groups.Also, we hold seasonal festivals every years and there are many pagodas especially in Bagan which is an tourist attraction here.
Profile picture for user danisep

Submitted by danisep on Fri, 25/09/2020 - 01:06

I'm from Colombia specifically from Cucuta, a small city located on the border with Venezuela, it is a very hot city, and there is nothing a lot interesting to do here but is rounded for beautifuls and cold towns and countrysides.

Submitted by HeinHtetKyaw on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 16:08

I was born in Mogok that is wonderful and Jewell. I would like to inviite you to come.\

Submitted by Saish on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 08:26

I am from Goa, India. I was born and brought up in Goa. Goa is India's most famous tourist destination. It is famous for it beautiful beaches, churches and festivals. The people here in Goa are very friendly and cheerful. I love the weather here, its neither hot nor cold throughout the year.

Submitted by Gilmar Anuncia… on Sun, 16/08/2020 - 19:03

I'm from Brazil, Bahia to be exact. It's a very happy place, thera are parties almost all month of the years.

Submitted by jason2295 on Thu, 13/08/2020 - 21:15

I am from Colombia. I was born in Santa Marta but now I live in Cartagena. Both cities are really wonderful and they have many intereting places to visit.

Submitted by fariba on Mon, 10/08/2020 - 07:29

i am from Isfahan. it is really nice city.

Submitted by Mammadova on Fri, 07/08/2020 - 17:55

İ am from Azerbaijan.And i live in Ganja.(Azerbaijan's city).Ganja is a beautiful city.There people are friendly and hospitality.İ am very happy i live in there.Ganja is the second biggest city in Azerbaijan.İ love this city❤️

Submitted by M19 on Fri, 07/08/2020 - 08:27

I was born in MO but live in BG. It is mostly cool and not very hot. It doesn't rain heavily like in MO and most streets are in good condition. However, the city is quite small with lots of old buildings. The eating places and shopping malls are always overcrowded; unlike MO there isn't enough space for recreation and relaxation. Nevertheless, I love it here!

Submitted by Phan Bao Dung on Tue, 21/07/2020 - 17:54

I'm from Viet Nam. My country has famous about nice beaches and delicious cuisines such as Vietnamese bread and Pho.

Submitted by Asni on Fri, 17/07/2020 - 22:05

I was born in Casablanca in Morocco, but I live in Seville. Seville is a beautiful city with lots of green parks. The people are nice and friendly. You can't be bored because there is always something interesting to do or to see.. Events, parties, holidays, people are joyful and enjoy life to the fullest. They don't live to work, they work to live and that is what I like most about them.

Submitted by thihazaw on Thu, 16/07/2020 - 07:09

I'm from Myanmar.It's wonderful.There's always sometimes interesting to do and people are really friendly.

Submitted by fatfat on Wed, 08/07/2020 - 13:18

I was born in istanbul. It is a big and crowded city the same time very beautiful.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Mon, 06/07/2020 - 17:05

I'm from Kyiv (Ukraine). I live here since I was born. It's the capital of our country, the largest and one of the oldest cities in Ukraine. It has a long and colorful history. So many things have happened here through the years. In recent centuries we were occupied but Russia but now we're finally free. Honestly, I can't tell you that my city looks like I want it. We have plenty of problems here: old buildings and infrastructure, a lot of garbage and ugly billboards on the streets. But still, Kyiv is a beautiful place with lots of parks and garden squares, friendly people (not all though), superb Dnipro river and numerous of the beauties of the city.

Submitted by ANNAZIRI on Fri, 26/06/2020 - 05:21

I'm from Indonesia. It's a big country and consist of billion island.

Submitted by abudo93 on Thu, 25/06/2020 - 16:29

I live in Iraq, exactly is in Habbaniyah city. It's wonderful and there are lot's of interesting things to do, the people are really nice or friendly and it's sounds like a nice place to live in it.
Profile picture for user lsrafael

Submitted by lsrafael on Thu, 25/06/2020 - 02:24

I was born in Brazil, but I want to live in Canada.
Profile picture for user Ivanox76

Submitted by Ivanox76 on Wed, 24/06/2020 - 09:05

I was born in Huaraz, it is in Peru. It's a wonderful place with a lot of mountains and lakes. I love living here.