An invitation to a job interview

Read an email invitation to a job interview to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text

To: Grace Yang
Date: 6 September
Subject: Invitation to job interview

Dear Grace,

Thank you for your application for the position of sales manager.

We would like to invite you for an interview at 10 a.m. on Monday 21 September at our offices at The Shard, 32 London Bridge Street, London.

You will meet with our head of sales, Susan Park, and the interview will last for about 45 minutes. During this time, you will have the opportunity to find out more about the position and learn more about our company.

Please bring your CV and references to the interview. You will also need to show a form of ID at reception to receive a visitor's pass. Please ask for me as soon as you arrive.

If you have any questions or if you wish to reschedule, please call me on 555-1234 or email me by 12 September.

I look forward to meeting you.

Best regards,

Anna Green
Human Resources Assistant

Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

A2 English level (pre-intermediate)

Submitted by Suellen Esteves on Thu, 16/07/2020 - 16:18

I prepare myself studying about the company and studying my own curriculum.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Mon, 13/07/2020 - 10:43

There are some advices on how to prepare for a job interview. First of all, you need to know as much as you can about the company which invited you to the interview. Use the internet and try to find someone you know and who works there. Second, reread your CV again. HR assistant or someone else will ask you about what they will read in it. Be ready to answer. Another tip, try to prepare answers for most typical interview questions. Try to predict what you will be asked. Of course, think in advance about your outfit and how you're going to get to the interview place. And of course no tardiness. Be in place 10-15 minutes earlier.

Submitted by Seina Tsuchiya on Sat, 11/07/2020 - 17:27

There are many things that I should prepare for a job interview. First, I have to bring tour application form and CV written in polite letters. I haven't had a job interview yet, but I need to check the sentence, either handwriting or computer input. The second is clothes. I should not hide my face with my hair and dress properly. Of course, I mustn't wear jeans. The third is physical condition management. If I had an interview, I want to go to bed early the day before.

Submitted by Dastenova Firuza on Sat, 04/07/2020 - 17:39

I pay attention to my appearance and dress then speech. I try to guess questions and get ready for them. I take necessary documents. I prepare myself in front of the mirror

Submitted by Re on Sat, 27/06/2020 - 15:58

Hello. There are many important things when we have a job interview. However, what most important for us is we should keep in mind to spend conscious of a job interview. For example, "greeting", "smile", cleanliness" , "courtesy" and so on. Also, we should cure bad habits because there is a possibility that we show up own bad habits by tension. "First impression is very important for people". Furthermore, it is important for us to do a self analysis to be able to make an appeal to apply for company. We should investigate about applying for company. It is optimal to make a good atmosphere. Finally, e many important things when we have a job interview. However, what most important for us is we should keep in mind to spend conscious of a job interview. For example, "greeting", "smile", cleanliness" , "courtesy" and so on. Also, we should cure bad habits because there is a possibility that we show up own bad habits by tension. "First impression is very important for people". Furthermore, it is important for us to do a self analysis to be able to make an appeal to apply for company. We should investigate about applying for company. It is optimal for make a good atmosphere. Finally, needless to say, we have to go to there on time. I want to try my hardest a job interview.

Submitted by Suzuha on Mon, 22/06/2020 - 06:19

I'm a college student, so I've never had job interview. However, I've had a interview when I started a part time job. Then, I prepared the reason why I chose the job and what I'd like to do there. I think it is important to tell passion for the job.

Submitted by Yuki on Mon, 22/06/2020 - 06:15

I've never had a job interview but if I do, I prepare my CV and references. And I also prepare to explain myself. For example, pro and cons. I think I must be able to appeal myself, and in order to get to know myself better, it is important that I first understand myself. Others, do basic things such as preparing my mind, loudness, and answering questions with confidence. I think that it is important for job interviews to check a list of things that I bring and have confidence.

Submitted by Mirei Honda on Mon, 22/06/2020 - 02:34

I think it is important for a job interview that how quickly you can get a closer look at yourself. To do that, you first need to make a good impression. The impression will change even if you change into a suit, stretch your back and speak loudly. Also, it is most important to have confidence in yourself. Therefore, we should carry out various activities on the daily basis. For example, volunteer activities, lessons, and part-time jobs. I can be confident in yourself by getting advice from various people.

Submitted by Hiyori Ueno on Sun, 21/06/2020 - 20:51

When I go to a part-time job interview , we have to prepare CV and reasons for application. And we are careful of clothes. We shouldn't wear jeans and sneakers. I have had some job interview ever. Interviewer ask me some questions. So, I usually prepare some answers before I go to job interview.

Submitted by Farshad on Sun, 21/06/2020 - 19:26

I've had many interviews in my life and fortunately, I have reached my goal and I have earned many positions in my career.

Submitted by Natsumi Tamura on Sun, 21/06/2020 - 07:49

I think the most important I think the most important thing in a job interview is how passionate I am about the job. It is also important to tell what I have done up to now, but if I get a job beyond that, it is important to tell the other person what I want to do. For that reason, it is necessary to thoroughly investigate what kind of work can be done and what kind of growth can be achieved in that profession. At the time of the interview, I should carefully look at the other person's eyes and convey my thoughts with enthusiasm.

Submitted by Tsuyoshi watanabe on Sun, 21/06/2020 - 02:53

I think that one of effective prepare for a job interview is giving a good impression to an interviewer, and it’s the easiest. Because it is difficult to know everything about me in tens of minutes and impression is used as a material for evaluation to know a little about me. In fact, university recommended admission test evaluates enthusiasm, and a willingness to speak is evaluated in the second test of The Eiken Test. Making eye contact with the interviewer and Cleaning the looks are considered to make a good impression. Making eye contact has the purpose of showing enthusiasm and honesty, and Cleaning has the purpose of improving the first impression.

Submitted by Maiko Tanzawa on Sat, 20/06/2020 - 17:27

I'm a college student, so I've never had a job interview. However, I think that you will receive it when you are in the fourth year of college. So I think it is necessary to gain various experiences and increase knowledge from the first year.For example, it may be good to participate in circles and volunteers, to work part-time or to study abroad. Also, since there are various types of jobs such as civil servants and private companies, I think it is necessary to think carefully about what I want to be in the future and to gather information according to it. I think it's important to have confidence in my life before the interview.

Submitted by fukuzawa on Sat, 20/06/2020 - 07:37

What I prepared for the interview at my part-time job was to be careful about using polite words and to have an interview with beautiful clothes. Because the first impression is important for humans. I think it's important to tell them in your own words that you want to enter with these things.

Submitted by Naru Yasuda on Fri, 19/06/2020 - 06:01

I don’t have a experience to prepare for a job interview. I don’t know what should I do. So, I will write just my thinking. I think the most important things to job interview is to understand myself. If I have an opportunity to job interview, I think I should think about myself. For example, my good points and bad points, what do I do and what can I do if I can enter this company and so on. The company I want to join is don’t know about me. So, I think it is important to tell a lot of things about me.

Submitted by Noyama Juri on Thu, 18/06/2020 - 06:18

Hello everyone. I have never had a job interview. so write my thoughts here. First make a resume and entry sheet. and practice a lot of interviews. i think it's important that many people see it until it is perfect. i want to appeal to my company my needs in detail. lastly, groom yourself. it is said that clothes are very important and the first impression is decided immediately after entering the room. So the most important thing in the interview is clothes. and I think it's important to be honest. I would like to attach importance to these if I have an interview opportunity.

Submitted by Shoma Tateishi on Tue, 16/06/2020 - 14:21

I'm a college student now. So I have never had a job interview.If I do it, I prepare my CV,ID and references. Before the job interview, I'll do two things in advance. The first is to find out more about the company. In job interview, I will often be asked about the reason for application. If I can't answer the question, the job interview will fail.The second is to practice talking repeatedly.The interview styles often differ depending on the company. If I go to an interview without practice, I will be nervous and unable to speak well. In preparation for the job interview, I will try to practice in my daily life.

Submitted by R on Mon, 15/06/2020 - 16:03

I'm a college student, so I don't know much about employment. But I used to work part-time when I was in a hihg school. At that time, I thought about how to make the best use of soccer that I had been playing since I was in the third grade of elementary school. I had "patience" and " energy", so I told the interviewer. From now on, when thinking about job interview, I will prepare to explain how I can apply what I have experienced. The other thing to do is find out more about the company. I tend to be nervous so I have to practice many times.

Submitted by Dilnoza Sulaymonova on Fri, 12/06/2020 - 08:22

We must wear formal cloth and get all necessary documents with us. First of all we must trust

Submitted by Akemi Matsumoto on Fri, 12/06/2020 - 06:03

I think we can prepare for a job interview by practicing how to respond the questions. Of course, you will need to be helped by a friend, and don't be shy, but in this way, you will be able to have a smooth conversation with the interviewer. I also practiced with this method when I was to do the entrance interview for the university. I don't want to imagine what the outcome would be if I hadn't prepared in that way.

Submitted by Anna Nakamura on Wed, 10/06/2020 - 08:26

I'm a college student. So I've never had a job interview. If I do it, maybe I prepare CV. But I think the most important thing for people who have a job interview is understanding themselves. Many people prepare a lot of answer to questions what interviewer ask to them. Of cause, it is good thing. But in this case, if they are asked the question that they didn't expect, maybe they would confuse about what they should answer it. So I think answering own thoughts honestly is important. To do that, we need to understand ourselves.

Submitted by Risa on Tue, 09/06/2020 - 14:06

I’ve never had a job interview, so I don’t know what contents about it. Therefore, I presume it and write this comment. To suppose have an interview, I make my CV first. With regard to writing it, I should written for easy to understand, convey my strength and my being able to contribute to the company. Second, I practice interview. For example, how to entering a room, manner of speaking, the act of answering. Finally, I straighten my clothes and hair. I think first Impressions are very important. If I have a job interview, I want to do my best.

Submitted by Saria Muraoka on Tue, 09/06/2020 - 09:00

I have never had a job interview. However, I was interviewed for study. First of all, I must remember to bring my belongings. It is the worst thing to forget belongings. The second is clothes and hairstyle. The contents are also important, but the first impression is determined by the appearance. So I have to care about appearance. Finally, the contents of the interview. The interviewer will see this the most. So you need to practice a lot and be perfect. If I am perfect, I will have confidence. A lot of preparation is required for a job interview. Get ready and work hard on the day.

Submitted by tomoka on Tue, 09/06/2020 - 07:52

To begin with, I try to have knowledges about the job. The reason why is that I can not tell my opinion as long as I do not know well about it. I think that it is important to collect a lot of information. Secondly, I try to correct the manner of speaking. I do not think that there are people who have good senses for others who do not speak politely. However some people often tell me that "what you say is bad." So, maybe it is so hard for me to correct it. I believe that original personality would appear in such severe situations. So, the most important thing is to be careful own attitude in daily.

Submitted by NANAKA on Mon, 08/06/2020 - 15:57

Hello everyone! I have never had the oppotunity to have job interview actually. If I have a chance, I will get certifications related to English in advance. Interviewers always look at our TOEIC scores before hiring us in Japan. Whatever you do, it is better to have certifications. Not to mention, be careful not to do rude for example behavior, dress and grooming. In addition,check for forgotten things and way to destination necessary. First impression is really important. It'll be alright!

Submitted by hoshi on Mon, 08/06/2020 - 15:42

Hello everyone. I have never had a job interview. so, I am going to talk about my examination interview.I had experienced two times. First time, I was really under tension because I thought that I fail an examination. But I passed it. Second time, I was so relax.It is because teacher in the school calmed me down.Thanks to that I passed the examination. Now I want to tell the important thing in the examination.It is to relive your tension.For example, Listening to music, taking a deep breath, and more.

Submitted by Yuri Chida on Mon, 08/06/2020 - 13:20

First, I prepare my CV, ID, and references for a job interview. Also, I research about the company and the job. Because I think that it is important to know them before I have a job interview. Second, besides this, I practice answering the questions over and over. By doing so, I will be able to answer the questions with assurance in a job interview. Then, I confirm the date, time, the place, and belongings of a job interview in order not to make a mistake. Finally, at a job interview, I will show my experience and qualification and the results of my hard practice.

Submitted by Yonemura Tomoya on Mon, 08/06/2020 - 09:27

First, If I have an interview for a job, I prepare my CV and references. I must not forget those. But for those, I can't have an interview for a job. Second, I shave my beard and fix my hair and my clothes. It is appearance that other person was got a good Impression, so making one's apperance is very importnat for a job interview. Third, I practice interviewing for my job. In order to close to reality, I should practice with various people. And, I keep practice until I get better. By doing so, I should be not nervous.

Submitted by mahiro on Mon, 08/06/2020 - 07:07

Hello everyone. I have been interview only once. I talk about then. I had an interview when I was many prepared. Because it must not miss. I practiced an interview many time. I was able to hear a good report. But I think during the interview the most important to relax pf all things.

Submitted by omanov on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 10:21

I think the job of HR managers is very interesting

Submitted by Sharif Tayyebi on Fri, 29/05/2020 - 13:53

I haven't had a lot of experiences in this field yet. I have experienced two or three times and I successfully passed just one time. I think it is necessary to know about the job and things that are necessary for that position. I also take with me all documents which are necessary. For example, ID card, CV, references and so on. I think all this things should be ready when we want to go to an interview, but you can usually ask from people who invite you or sometimes they will already ask you those things by invitation emails or phone calls. At about three years ago, I had an interview and they informed me that I should have with me my national identity card or a copy of my job experience. Regards, Tayyebi

Submitted by mouna99 on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 13:00

First, I will prepare my ID, CV and references. Then I will check interview types and I will to practice it

Submitted by Muna on Sun, 17/05/2020 - 04:42

Hi I read my cv and what I wrote in the formorning application so that is haw prepare

Submitted by Muhammad Bagir on Sun, 17/05/2020 - 04:20

I don't know, i never do a job interview. Maybe the first thing that i will do is googling it on the internet.

Submitted by Lauracastanos on Tue, 12/05/2020 - 22:24

Hello everyone I research on the internet about the company and the functions of the position and try to ask myself and answer questions that may be asked, such as my qualities and defects.

Submitted by Durdona Saydazimova on Mon, 04/05/2020 - 18:34

I prepare for my English language job interview just as I would for any other interview. This may include researching the organisation's history and mission, determining the travel time needed to promptly arrive at my interview location, organising my materials and choosing an outfit.

Submitted by jason2295 on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 00:34

When I have been invited for a interview about one job, I find out about the company, it's always good to get information about her , we need to know the exactly adrees and how long will take a taxi to arrive from your place until to the company. it's also important to prepare all documents required at least two days before.

Submitted by yuldus83 on Sat, 02/05/2020 - 12:27

First of all, I prepare my CV, references and certificates, prepare my clothes for the interview as the appearance plays a great role as well, collect information about the host company.

Submitted by ansyah on Tue, 28/04/2020 - 04:42

When I give other people job in my company, I must to look live is this people because I must look live attitude about this people. I believe if people have good attitude, this people can confidence and loyalty for my company and me.

Submitted by ademyonet on Mon, 13/04/2020 - 06:10

I don't prepare for a interview because I give some jobs the people. If I will be going other people with my job, I prepare a very presentation. My presentation include a lot of real information and statistic and graphics. So I don't go without prepare.
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Tue, 07/04/2020 - 21:45

Hi, I can prepare for a job interview after receiving a message from a firm which had my job application, through the following ways: - Having a target position in the firm. - Get my CV ready. - Get my reference letter ready. - Get my ID card ready. - Getting to know about the firm mission and vision. - Getting clear information about the interview date, time, venue and other details. - Meeting up with the appointed day of interview. Thanks.

Submitted by Daudau0601 on Fri, 03/04/2020 - 16:15

in my opinion, to prepare the best for a job interview we should find out more about that job and try to answer some question which you think it can be asked by them. in addition, you have to prepare your ID and CV carefully. Before going to interview, you should choose a suitable and polite clothes. A neat hair can help you more confident.

Hello Hashim Ali

When Ms Green says 'if you wish to reschedule, please call me on 555-1234 or email me by 12 September', 'by 12 September' means before 12 September or perhaps before the end of 12 September.

Of all the options in that question, only the first two are before the end of 12 September. But the first option says Ms Yang should go to reception to request a change -- this is not in line with Ms Green's email, which says she should call or email (not go to reception).

All the best

Submitted by cuneyt on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 10:57

Hi everybody, Firstly, we must know what we should say interview. it is important for they. We must dress perfect clothes. We should do hair and cut our beard. We look like stars because a lot of people wait to interview after from us. We must be carefull in every respect if we want to this jop or position. Unfortunately these aren't enough for take the job. Our counrty is system different. Yes of course ı said up everything is correct. We must but here is not enough. First of all you must know speacial person there. It can be your family or close friends. We call reference but I think it is name favoritisim. Best regards

Submitted by seco on Tue, 03/03/2020 - 10:59

Now İ have been a part of new company. İts about gambling. İ had read lost of things about this company from the internet before my apllication. After that operation i was ready for the big interview.İ gave my ID to the reception then she gave a card to recieve human resources departman.

Submitted by MaryaSun on Thu, 30/01/2020 - 15:59

when i have an interview job, for first thing i read about the company, their history and all i can found about them. Then i try to receive information from someone who had done already a job interview for this company. The job interview's day i take care of myself, i wear a suit, i make anhair bun and i try to show me serious and professionable.

Submitted by Dariusz on Sat, 25/01/2020 - 14:26

It's always good to prepare before an interview. Of course I usually try to do it, There are basic pattern of questions which are using while interview, it's good to learn them. I also try to find out more about the position and learn more about company. I sometimes must remind myself my own experience and abilities.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Sat, 18/01/2020 - 14:37

I will invite to an interview next week for the position of research manager. For this purpose, last week, It was asked for me that I send my CV. I should prepare to tell them my opinions and ideas about developing research activities.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Thu, 26/12/2019 - 12:48

I prepare for the fob interview by having my cv ready , having a good appearance by wearing a good suit , practicing to talk about myself in English .