An invitation to a party

Listen to some phone messages with directions to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Automated message: You have two new messages. Message number one, received today at 3.45 p.m.

Hi, it's me. How's it going? I guess you're at work and you don't have your phone on, right? First of all, thank you, THANK YOU for the birthday card and message. I received it this morning. That's so nice of you. I'm organising a little party for my birthday. It's nothing very big – only a few of my best and closest friends. That means you too! We're going to have it at my cousin's house. She lives in the countryside in a nice big house with a swimming pool. I'd love to see you there. It's going to be this Friday. I'll send you the instructions on how to get there later, OK?

Anyway, have fun at work. Don't work too hard, OK? Talk soon.

Automated message: You have two new messages. Message number two, received today at 5.15 p.m.

Aw, you're still not answering your phone! OK, here are the instructions to get to my cousin's house for the party. Are you going to take your car? If you take the car, drive straight on Forest Road until you get to the motorway. Drive past Brownsville and take exit 13A. That's 13A. You drive down the road there and turn left. It's the first big house on the right. OK? If you're taking a bus, you can get the number 80 to Brownsville. Call me when you get there and somebody can pick you up in a car. I can't wait. This is going to be so great!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by fahri on Tue, 14/07/2020 - 16:33

Dear team. Why i can not listen the audio??

Hello fahri,

There is a technical problem with our audio. I'm sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for telling us. We are working on a solution and hopefully the audio will be working soon.

Best wishes,

The LearnEnglish Tea

Submitted by Dastenova Firuza on Sat, 11/07/2020 - 18:23

As there are many new constructions in our country, it isn't difficult to get lost. When I walk in the street, many peopla ask me the ways to banks, hospitals etc. I sometimes encounter foreigners and I feel happy about answering in English. It is such a pleasure for me.

Submitted by Maria C on Sat, 11/07/2020 - 15:29

It´s easy to get lost in my city and of course I have given some instructions people on how to get to your place of interest so I give you directions with the name of the main streets and the turns or what to do, mentioning some references.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Fri, 10/07/2020 - 14:07

I have lost in my town..... Oops, I have got lost in my town. It's easy to be lost... ;)

Submitted by Hnin Wai Lin on Fri, 10/07/2020 - 10:11

I live in a small town and it is not difficult to find my address.

Submitted by Hnin Wai Lin on Fri, 10/07/2020 - 10:07

I feel great as I learn english lessons from online free courses and thanks to BC for giving chance like this.

Submitted by Hnin Wai Lin on Fri, 10/07/2020 - 10:04

Thanks for all.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Mon, 06/07/2020 - 17:47

Well, as I live in a big city, in the capital telling the truth, it's quite easy to get lost. Even for me, actually. There are many districts here where I know no more than a couple of streets at all. Of course, I can always ask locals Well, as I live in a big city, in the capital telling the truth, it's quite easy to get lost. Even for me, actually. There are many districts here where I know no more than a couple of streets at all. Of course, I can always ask locals for the right direction or try to find one of the big streets here and find the metro station or so. But if the tourist gets lost in my city he's in trouble indeed. There are no signs in English and you hardly can find someone who speaks English as well. So, take care, use a map and don't visit the bedroom communities without escortort

Submitted by Suellen Esteves on Mon, 06/07/2020 - 00:48

Well, I think with technology it's hard to get lost in any city.

Submitted by hangnt5 on Mon, 29/06/2020 - 10:43

I am living in a big city where there are about 13 million people. So everyone is easy to get lost in my town.there are many small alleys. It is difficult to find the way if you are not living in the city. I live in 10 ten years, but sometimes I still let to lost in my city. When visitors come to my city and they ask direction me. I always answer the instruction for them. Because I understand how they feel when they get lost in a strange place

Submitted by joshnamep on Wed, 24/06/2020 - 05:24

well, all the street in my hometown come to each other, so it is hard to get lost. If you are in a don't know place you just go along some small road and you'll reach the big road. Beside, digital map is very popular these days, so it gives you a convenient instruction to never get lost maybe. I am willing to show direction for anybody who asks.

Submitted by Asni on Mon, 22/06/2020 - 22:58

My city is quite big so it is easy to get lost there. To be honest, after living many years here, I still get lost sometimes so I won't be surprised if it happens to a visitor. Well, yes of course I have given directions to tourists or new international students every time that I was asked to. I'm an immigrant myself, so I know exactly how it feels when you first arrive in a foreign country.

Submitted by Indirwan on Sat, 20/06/2020 - 08:54

As usual, if i dont know where is the right place, i always asked his/her to share the location so its so easy to follow the directions from the maps apps. Although the point maybe not precision, so i must keep touch with his/him to make sure the address.

Submitted by abudo93 on Wed, 17/06/2020 - 13:20

It's not easy to lost in my town because I originally born in it, and almost known it's roads. As for about given directions to visitors I'm always do it and it's difficult because of the difficulty in describing to get my home

Submitted by Deeps on Wed, 10/06/2020 - 09:51

I live in town. It is easy to get location but it is difficult to find house. There are many access roads in my town. If you miss the road you will get different place.It mean you will not get lost. Just you will waste your time.

Submitted by LarisaAlp on Sat, 30/05/2020 - 15:32

My city is very big, that's why I have given directions to many tourists and other people. But my guests don't need to get my explanations, because usually, they drive and use their navi.

Submitted by cittàutopica on Fri, 29/05/2020 - 12:26

I live in a city of about 130,000 people; in the center of the city the streets intersect at right angle; therefore it's easy to be oriented; but it's more difficult in the suburbs, where urban settlement has expanded chaotically. I have rarely given directions to a visitor.

Submitted by Emily Mellor on Fri, 29/05/2020 - 06:38

Sir What does 'That's so nice of you' mean? Some says it is the expression of praising and some express it as thankfulness. Which one is correct?
Profile picture for user Kirk

Submitted by Kirk on Fri, 29/05/2020 - 10:04

In reply to by Emily Mellor

Hello Emily Mellor

In the situation on this page, I'd say it's an expression of gratitude (thankfulness) for the other person's thoughtfulness (which is also a kind of praise).

All the best

Submitted by amal.araia on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 23:06

Yes, it easy to get lost in my town, because most the buildings looks the same, and have the same white color. Yes I have given directions to a visitors many times.

Submitted by Emily Mellor on Tue, 26/05/2020 - 13:28

I think it isn't easy to get lost in my town. But for visitors, they can get lost because there aren't a lot of visible indicators everywhere. People in Myanmar are mostly helpful. So, if you get lost, you can ask everyone. They will give you directions. Or if you take bus, you can ask the driver and everyone on the bus too. I have given directions to a visitor. When someone ask me directions, I explain in details .

Submitted by Milena1 on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 13:59

No, in my city isn´t easy lost because the subway runs through the entire city so you can enter any station and get any address. If you take a bus you can ask the driver and he will indicate the sector you are looking for. If you go on foot you can ask the workers of the newspaper kiosks or in a store. Now, if you go by car, you can use the app or ask the traffic police.

Submitted by Sharif Tayyebi on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 01:52

I live in Kabul, Afghanistan. There aren't enough signs in the sides of roads or alleys don't have special name or sometimes the names aren't written at the beginning of them. So, it is easy to get lost and it is too difficult to find an address or give instruction to somebody. Yes, I have given a lot of directions. When I invite somebody by invitation cards, then I usually write the exact address of my house on it. On the other hand, if somebody want to come my home, they should call me to get exact address. Most of time, I should go to get my friends at my house. The government is going to plan for nomination of each alleys, but it will take a long time to complete this program. I hope that complete very soon.

Submitted by Diemquynh9101 on Sun, 24/05/2020 - 17:07

I live in the countryside so there are not many roads and it is not difficult to find my house. I have never shown anyone the way because the houses in my hometown are easy to find

Submitted by quyenquyen87 on Sun, 24/05/2020 - 10:10

It is easy to get lost in your town if you don’t see the road signs while you’re driving.I have also met several foreign guests asking for directions. And I also show them the street number or the place they want to go specifically and in detail.
Profile picture for user Katvp

Submitted by Katvp on Thu, 21/05/2020 - 23:23

Yes, I live in a big city, there are many neighborhoods, and many streets, and of course, many buildings, houses, and places

Submitted by Maria Jose on Wed, 20/05/2020 - 15:25

Hi. Well, I think it is easy to get lost in my town if you're a tourist, but you can ask for directions to get there easily. The streets can be confusing if you're not well acquainted with them because they're too long. At the end if you¿re lost you can still call me and I will give you specific directions.

Submitted by elisawang2410 on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 18:18

I don't think that someone can get lost in my town. There's a lot of visible indicators with their name and its corresponding number of each street, so they find it very useful to get to their destination. I also have given directions to few people, they understand it quite quickly since the signs are in every corner.

Submitted by meche16 on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:49

It is very easy to get lost in my town since the houses and their respective backyards are large and well maintained, which tend to distract visitors very often. Yes, I have given directions whenever visitors get lost. I always try to be as explicit as possible so that visitors reach easily their destination.

Submitted by David Godoy on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:48

I can say that the directions to my house are a bit complicated since it has too many streets around. Whenever I give directions, I feel that the other person can be confused by the number of streets. once a friend got lost trying to get to my house.

Submitted by Sarah Trelles on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:45

Yes, it is somewhat easy to get lost the first time you’re visiting my town; the residential area is somewhat complex because finding a distinctive reference point proves to be difficult. I have given directions to visitors in several occasions and I often panic when they tell me they’re lost, though with technology these days it’s easy to communicate and solve the issue.

Submitted by Oscar Martínez on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:44

It is not difficult to get to my house because you only need to take the highway from the city. After that, you must take a turn to the left, which will take you into my community. Lastly, turn right and you will have arrived at my humble abode, which can be easily recognized.

Submitted by Paola Mejia on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:44

It is very easy to get lost in my hometown, when you haven't been here before, and it is because there are not many signs regarding the name of the streets. I have given the address to visitors, but whenever I say it they get entangled and prefer that I send the location virtually.

Submitted by Eng312002 on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:41

Getting lost in my town is very rare since I live in a very wide and known area with many directional signs, I’ve even drawn directions to some friend to get here and it is very easy to understand since there is many reference points.

Submitted by Gabriela Camargo on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:40

Hello No, it’s very hard to get lost in my town. There are many roads that can lead you to my town, so it’s not hard to arrive. I’ve given directions before and everyone arrives in seconds

Submitted by Susana WZ on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:39

As far as I know the town were I resides is commonly known by the people so people rarely get lost. Yes, I have given directions to visitors.

Submitted by genesisrendon on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:39

I think it is easy to not get lost in my town, until I have to give my directions to someone. Most people never know what reference places I am referring to because this places are only known by the locals of the area. Even though it can be easy to get lost here, I know for a fact that people eventually find their way.

Submitted by Cindy_ on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:38

I don't think it is easy to get lost in my town, there are signs and people in every corner of each street. Also, I live in the city and there are stores and malls nearby. I have given directions to a few visitors that were roaming in the streets of my town.

Submitted by David Qiu on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:38

Well, I have experienced this event and it's quite difficult due to the zoning of the territory.....

Submitted by isajaimes. on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:37

Yes, it’s actually very easy because it’s located in an area that people visit frequently. Thanks to google maps or waze isn’t necessary to give many directions.

Submitted by Roberto Sousa on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:37

I dont think is easy to get lost in my town, i have given directions to my house allot and everyone has arrived without any problem.

Submitted by Wilson Zhang on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:37

No, because my town is small and it’s easy to find my house. Yes, I’ve given directions to visitor and it went smoothly!

Submitted by khushi ahir on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:36

Well I think that is not that easy to get lost in my town as its not that big. yes I have given directions to visitors to reach to my house and they have understood and reached.

Submitted by jonthancata on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:36

Yes, it is easy to get lost in my town. The street names are not really visible and most people don't use them or know them. I have sent directions to my friends on how to get to my house, but instead of using the street names, I use landmarks as references.

Submitted by Milton Mckay on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:34

To get lost in my town is very rare due to the fact that my town is small and visitors do not often come here. Yes i have given instructions to some people that are visiting maybe for family issues, they always pay attention carefully for not getting lost and arrive fast and safe.

Submitted by Chris Cheng on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:33

It's not very hard to get lost in Panama, specifically the part where I live. There are lots of buildings as well as shops so giving directions proves to be quite a challenge. Since I've been living here for around 8 years or so I can easily give instructions for visitors to make their way around it.

Submitted by DiegoAnguizola on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:33

Getting lost in my own town is impossible. It is easy for me to give directions in my city. When I give directions to visitors, they find it very easy to get to their destinations.

Submitted by Jchungqiu on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 17:33

From where i live it is not really hard to get lost as you can distinguish your surroundings, and even though in my neighborhood the houses look the same the way to my house is relatively simple. I have given directions to a visitor though it sometimes can't be comprehensible as I am not really good at explaining the details of my surrounding in a way others would understand.