The first English class

Listen to a teacher give students information about a new course to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Hello, everyone. Hello! It's nice to see you all here. Welcome to British Life and Language. I am your teacher. My name is Lindsay Black. That's L-I-N-D-S-A-Y Black. Before we begin, some information about the class.

Our class is in room 13, on the first floor. When you go upstairs, turn left to find the room. Again, that's room 13.

We have class twice a week, on Monday and Wednesday. Our class begins at 4.30 p.m. and lasts 90 minutes, so we finish at 6 p.m. That's 4.30 to 6. Please arrive on time, OK?

Also, I have an office hour if you have questions. I'm in office 7B on the second floor. My office hour is Friday at 6 p.m. So, if you have any questions or problems or want to talk to me, it's Friday at 6 p.m. in office 7B.

We begin next week, on March the 13th. That's Monday, March the 13th. The course ends on May the 20th. May the 20th is the last day.

I think that's all ... Oh, one more thing. For this course you need the book. Here it is: British Life and Language Level 1 Student's Book. So, please get a copy of the book. I don't want to see any photocopies of the book, thank you! Remember, it's level 1 student's book. Don't buy the teacher's book.

I think that's all, everyone. I look forward to working with you. See you next Monday!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

A1 English level (elementary)

Submitted by fatfat on Thu, 16/07/2020 - 12:03

I had an English course in istanbul for little time. Actually I love to learn English but I don't want to remember those days. Because I had a dispute with course owner.

Submitted by U Kyaw on Sun, 12/07/2020 - 16:50

Hello,sir.How can I download Audio file.I don't know it.And I want to get audio files.

Hello U Kyaw,

If you right-click on the audio, player and choose the 'Save As ...' option, you should be able to download this and any other audio on our site.

Submitted by Andrerenre on Sat, 11/07/2020 - 13:06

Actually, I don't have a physical English class. All my classes are online because of the coronavirus pandemic. The schools are closed. And with my online classes, I'm free to choose the time and place of my class at my convenience.

Submitted by Dastenova Firuza on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 16:28

Nowadays I have English classes on net every day. I am improving my English with British council by testing myself.

Submitted by jonon on Mon, 06/07/2020 - 01:00

ye i studied on my down town

Submitted by Extraordinara on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 07:07

I'm very happy to be here, deeply honored, and everyday I very interest

Submitted by Youssef Er-rafay on Mon, 29/06/2020 - 23:42

I don’t have an english class , never had one , in my country we study the french and the spanish class , but my english class is the British council , it helps a lot and very useful , thank you very much guys for making such a great learning page like this , and thank you for helping people around the world to learn english.

Submitted by Ronake on Sun, 28/06/2020 - 22:17

I'm attending an Online English meeting each day. I and my friends make an online meeting and we discuss different topics. This is so helpful for all of us, to exchange our opinion and view of point, and to expand our vocabulary. I found this way to make new friends from different countries, to learn new things, and to improve my English skills. My friends are so friendly and polite, and we improve the part that we aren’t perfect.

Submitted by hangnt5 on Fri, 26/06/2020 - 11:13

I have an English class at 11:30 am, my teacher is my friend. I study at the British council. I hope I will improve my English by reading, listening, writing, and communication. This web page is very helpful to everyone around the world to learn English, You are giving an opportunity to everyone to improve English. I want to say thank You with the Learn English Team

Submitted by joshnamep on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 06:38

I used to have an good English course when I was in grade 11 till 12 in my hometown. Now I study English everyday by myself.

Submitted by Facuntano on Sat, 13/06/2020 - 16:32

I'm taking virtual class with a teacher, but I'm trying to use this web page and others internet resource to improve more my English! Thanks you brithis council for this amazing webpage. :-D

Submitted by Nsengir on Fri, 12/06/2020 - 11:05

Do you have an English class? When is it? Where is it? I have been learning English on internet since COVİD was.

Submitted by Asni on Fri, 05/06/2020 - 22:40

No, I don't. I'm studying English on my own. Sometimes, I just want to give up because there is no one that encourages me and I feel frustrated. It's hard to improve without practising and exchanging with people who has the same interests. Well, fortunately, I came across this website. I think it's really interesting and helpful!
Don't worry, you aren't alone, we are a lot of people in the same situation, I know that my english is not so good but try to think positive, You only must compare with yourself, ¿how is yor level of English today, and how was the last moth?. I really enjoy this webpage, but a try to see Ted-Talks and youtuber teacher about English, like "mmmEnglish", or "English with Vannesa", you can try using "Tandem App" too, it's a App to chat/speak with English native who want learn other language, and there are a lot of people trying to learn our beauty Spanish, so you can try to exchange Spanish for English.

Submitted by Leonardo Lisboa on Fri, 05/06/2020 - 22:09

I haven't presencial english class, but I study daily by myself at british coucil's website.

Submitted by NghiNguyen on Wed, 03/06/2020 - 02:34

task 1 : total score is 8 task 2 : total score is 6

Submitted by Teresa Chi on Tue, 02/06/2020 - 10:06

i don't at the moment, but i practice english with my boyfriend everyday. I would like to take an English course this summer, but because of Covid - 19 I didn't have enough money
Profile picture for user ILYES

Submitted by ILYES on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 18:30

i studied english language last january , in school ,called (Ambassade de l'éducation ) in my city , but we are stopped the courses , because we still in the quarantine ^^

Submitted by amal.araia on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 21:35

No I dont have any English class Due to the lock down of Covid19. So I am taking this course online.

Submitted by cittàutopica on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 17:43

I don't have an English class now; I study with on line free course as this "Learn English". But I had English two courses a lot of year ago, at two private schools.

Submitted by Sharif Tayyebi on Wed, 20/05/2020 - 19:55

I have just done the beginner A listening episodes. I hopefully continue with another step in British Council. Whole this nice audios and their exercises were interesting and helped me to practice a lot. I am very happy for joining here. I wish all the best for other people who are in this site. Regards, Tayyebi

Submitted by mouna99 on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 14:33

Yes I have, It's on Monday at 14:00 in room E13

Submitted by c.lopes23 on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 20:25

No, I haven't English Class, but I want

Submitted by sararoshan on Mon, 11/05/2020 - 14:51

hello, I cant understand the difference between " get a copy of the book and any photocopies of the book " I reckon both of them mean the same. thanks a lot

Hello sararoshan,

A copy of the book means simply the book. The shop might have five or six copies of a book on its shelves. We use copy in this way because once (before the printing press was invented) books were literally hand-made copies of an original.

A photocopy of the book means a copy made page by page on a photocopying machine. Countries have laws limiting how many pages can be photocopied from a book and for what purposes.

Submitted by Fatemeh.Najafzadeh on Thu, 07/05/2020 - 02:40

Yes, I have English class twice a week on Monday and Tuesday. It begins at 7:00 p.m. and lasts two hours and so we finish at 9:00 p.m. It hold at ------------------ in Dublin, Ireland.

Hello Fatemeh.Najafzadeh

Thanks for your contribution! I just wanted to explain that we removed the name of the school where you study because we ask our users not to include too much personal information in their comments. This is for your protection, and you can see all of our guidelines in the House rules.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

All the best

Profile picture for user Bignon

Submitted by Bignon on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 20:25

Yes I do. My English class start at eleventh may and end after six months. Each class start at Saturday evening from seven to eleven o'clock. So it's last four hours.

Submitted by Youssef Karfouh on Thu, 30/04/2020 - 16:02

no i don't , i just learn english with free onilne courses like this one , thanks to all of the britishCouncil team , it's good to help people learn and practice their english with u guys thank u so much .

Submitted by FRANCY JACQUEL… on Tue, 21/04/2020 - 20:30

I have class English every day, monday to friday, of 1 pm to 6 pm. In my School ACE in Malta.

Submitted by Justtuck on Sun, 19/04/2020 - 07:49

I have English class. I study on the second floor of PE building on Tuesday at 10 a.m.

Submitted by Ronake on Sun, 19/04/2020 - 00:53

Im not attending any course, except English online classes there. Hope i will improve my English by reading , listening and writing. You are doing a great job, and you are giving an opportunity a million people around the world to learn English.

Hello Ronake

Thanks for your nice comment. We're happy to hear that you and others find LearnEnglish useful.

Best wishes

Submitted by Aisha Mohammed… on Sat, 18/04/2020 - 14:29

I don't have on English class . I'm studying from this website. I'm just study online because it difficult to study in english class for many reasons. thanks British consul for this course. it's useful.

Submitted by Minerva on Tue, 14/04/2020 - 03:46

why the system does not allow you to select the answer again if you mistakenly selected the wrong one, inmidiately change the next ? , and because it does not show you as marked the answers already selected? This section of excercises always is too slow, so When I select the correct answers the system does not recognise the action, so I try again, and when I finish my answers are incorrect, this section is not kindly, the exercise are easy and simply,

Hello Minerva

Could you tell us which task you speaking about? If it's the preparation task, you're right, these are a little tricky to use. Let me explain the best way to do this kind of task. But if you are talking about a different task, please tell us which one it is.

When you want to leave a word in a new position, you have to click or press on the small white hand (on the right) of the word that is in new position. For example, first, click on 'Monday' and then leave it in the top position. Then click on 'Tuesday', but when you leave it in the second position, you must click not on the word in the second position, but on the hand that is on the right of the word in the second position.

Does that make sense? It's easy to do but a little difficult to explain, so if you'd like me to describe how to do it again, please let us know.

All the best

Profile picture for user zabiullah

Submitted by zabiullah on Fri, 10/04/2020 - 12:35

when i was at school i had english class in my school. we had english lesson twice a week, on monday and friday. our class last 45 minutes. it started at 9 am. my english teacher's name was Ali. he was from Iran and gratuaded from english letrature. when he came our class always smiled after that began the lesson. i think it was very enjoyable for all my classmates....

Submitted by Aya Sayed on Tue, 07/04/2020 - 00:56

I am student at a British council ,I take English course on Friday at 6 pm.

Submitted by Ali07 on Sun, 05/04/2020 - 19:22

Currently I'm engaged with ALC, it's near to my neighbourhood. We have possibility to choose class's time it is twice a week each class lasts 1h30min or once a week lasts 3 hours. For me I chose the last one at the weekend, because I don't have time at week

Submitted by Silambarasan on Fri, 03/04/2020 - 12:07

yes, I have. I usually go on Mondays and Tuesdays evening. I have English class in the Official School of Languages.

Submitted by Yuzana on Wed, 01/04/2020 - 05:43

I haven't joined any English class yet. I do self-study in my room.

Submitted by ezzadin on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 04:28

I don't follow any english course at the present. I am just studying by my self from many sources such as english books ,apps,and websites. I am looking forward to take a course in the high languages Institute
Profile picture for user Caterina Siligardi

Submitted by Caterina Siligardi on Fri, 13/03/2020 - 15:57

Hello everyone. I have virtual lessons because I am studying my own with the computer. See you soon.

Submitted by Maria Lê on Thu, 12/03/2020 - 09:15

I couldn't catch the meaning of this sentence: "...get a copy of the book. I don't want to see any photocopies of the book"? Please, help me. Thanks a lot.

Hello Maria Lê,

Please get a copy of the book means Please buy the book. We often talk about individual books as copies – in the past when books were made by hand they were literally copied, and we still use terms like copyright in the publishing industry.

When we talk about photocopying a text we say make a copy rather than get a copy.

Submitted by jason2295 on Sun, 08/03/2020 - 04:00

No, I don't. for now I studying English by websites, Soon I think to start an English Class in a school, but it should be during the night and only the Monday and Wednesday.

Submitted by s4lemm on Tue, 03/03/2020 - 17:23

Do you have an English class? When is it? Where is it? No, I'dont have english class. I have studied in an app and now I'm studying in this website.
I'm the same at you. I don't have any English course and i 'm learning in this website. what do you think about this web? Is it useful? And Have you made a progress? ^^