A travel guide

Read a travel guide about Bangkok to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text

Whether you're travelling to the islands or the mountains of Thailand, you're likely to spend at least one night in its capital city on the way. Bangkok might be noisy and polluted but it's also an exciting city with plenty of things to see and do. Why not make it a longer stay?

Where to stay

The Khao San Road was a famous traveller spot even before Leonardo di Caprio's character in the film The Beach stayed there. But it's noisy, not very pretty and not very Thai. For something more authentic, Phra Kanong offers an alternative place to stay, with its fantastic street markets where everyday Bangkok people eat, work and live. It's not as convenient for the main tourist sites, but it has a Skytrain station so you can be at the Grand Palace in 20 minutes.

How to get around

Bangkok's traffic can be a nightmare. Sure, you can easily take a taxi – if you want to spend hours stuck in traffic jams – but there are two much better ways to get around the city. To explore the temples and historical sites, catch an express boat river taxi or a longtail boat along the Chao Phraya river and the canals. For the modern part of the city, the Skytrain is a fast, cheap way to travel from the river to the shopping malls and nightlife of Sukhumvit, and the famous Chatuchak street market.

Where to eat

The simple answer is: everywhere! Thai street food is among the best in the world, and for around $5 you can eat a filling and delicious meal. Some food stands have little plastic seats where you can sit and eat and they cook the same dish over and over, like fried chicken on rice or Pad Thai noodles. Head for Chinatown – Yaowarat Street – and choose whatever looks most interesting from the many excellent Chinese and Thai restaurants and food stands.

What to do

After you've seen the main sites like the Giant Buddha at the temple of Wat Pho and the spectacular Grand Palace, and shopped at Chatuchak market, check out the snake farm and watch the live snake show. You can even touch a snake yourself if you want to!

Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

B1 English level (intermediate)

Submitted by Seina Tsuchiya on Mon, 10/08/2020 - 04:53

I want go to Bangkok because I've seen it before on TV and the view was so beautiful. Especially, the market at night was very beautiful. It was crowded with people and there were many stalls. Also, I like to take pictures so I' like to go to the temple.

Submitted by Akemi Matsumoto on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 13:17

I'd like to visit Bangkok. I have to main reasons for that. First of all, that's because I have a friend from Thai- Bangkok. So, I want to visit the place where she is from. Also because I'm interested in spicy food and I've never tried Thai's food. Secondly, because I love animals, I am so curious about how it would be like to ride on a elephant.

Submitted by Hiyori Ueno on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 13:00

I have never been to Thailand so I would like to go to Thailand someday. Because I want to eat Thai street foods. I love Gapao rice, Tom Yam Kun, and Phad Tha. I want to eat them in Thailand. Also Thailand has delicious and cheap Mango. If I go to Thailand, I will eat Mango as much as I like.

Submitted by Natsumi Tamura on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 12:56

I would like to visit Bangkok. First, I like eating, so I want to eat Thai food. Especially, I want to eat Tom yam kung. Second, I want to ride a longtail boat along the Chao Phraya river at night because the scenery is beautiful at night. This is why, I would like to visit Bangkok.

Submitted by IKEDA on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 06:12

I've never been to Thailand. As I'm a big fan of ancient Buddism, I must go there someday!

Submitted by Anna Nakamura on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 03:28

I'd like to visit Bangkok. I 've never been there. When I was reading a travel magazine, I knew that there are many world heritage sites in Thailand. So I'm interested in Thailand history and culture. Thailand is a Buddhist country, so there are many Buddhist structures. I'd like to see them. And, Thailand is famous as a country of smiles. Thai people have a very cheerful personality, so I think going to markets and stalls is a lot of fun. That's why I'd like to visit Bangkok.

Submitted by Kaho Dokko on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 03:07

I want to go to Thailand because I like traveling and I'm interested in Thailand. My father, who had been to Thailand to play golf told me he enjoyed night market, so I want to go there. I have one more thing I want to do there. It's floating market. It will be a valuable experience in my life. Although I have heard that Thailand has poor hygiene, I think such a problem is sure to happen when traveling. And it is important to be careful not to be get involved in crime.

Submitted by Mirei Honda on Sat, 08/08/2020 - 06:30

I have never been to Bangkok so I would like to go. However, I may not be suitable for Bangkok because I get seasick. I can eat very delicious food at very cheap prices in Bangkok. I have never eaten Thai food, so I would like to try it. Also, Bangkok has the image that there are many temples. There may be a plain temple or a flashy and colorful temple. So I want to visit temples. I would like to wear Thai clothes, go to a place with luxurious decoration, eat delicious food and enjoy the trip.

Submitted by Noyama Juri on Fri, 07/08/2020 - 14:53

I have never been to Bangkok. so I want to go to Bangkok. I like to eat. so If I go to Bangkok I want to eat a lot of delicious food. But I'm worried that the country is beautiful. I want to go to many countries and eat many delicious foods. And I want to go to many tourist spots.

Submitted by Shoma Tateishi on Fri, 07/08/2020 - 06:45

I have never been to to Bangkok in Thailand. Moreover, I have never been abroad. But I want to go to Bangkok. If I go to Bangkok, I will go see the temple. There are various temples in Thailand. I haven't been to many temples until now, so I definitely want to go. I can also study foreign cultures by going to Bangkok. For example, in Bangkok, the night market is famous and not in Japan, so it's very interesting. Besides, Bangkok has many beautiful scenery. I want to take many picutures there. For these reasons, I want to go to Bangkok.

Submitted by Kamjka on Wed, 05/08/2020 - 18:02

I would like to visit Bangkok. I have never been to From the text I knew this is a very beautiful and interesting place.

Submitted by Machida on Wed, 05/08/2020 - 15:29

I have never been to Bangkok so I want to go to Thailand someday. If i go to Bangkok, I want to go to night market, I want to enjoy shopping there and eat a lot of local food. And I am interested in Thailand's temples too. There are colorful and beautiful. I think it's fresh and very enjoyable. But we can't go abroad now because of COVID-19. I want to get better soon and travel abroad

Submitted by fukuzawa on Tue, 04/08/2020 - 13:01

I would like to visit Bangkok. Because I haven't been to Bangkok yet. My dream is to visit countries all over the world. Bangkok is said to have beautiful scenery, so I wanted to visit it. I want to take pictures of many scenery and enjoy them.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Mon, 03/08/2020 - 13:46

Of course, I would like to visit Bangkok. I think this place way to different from my hometown so it could be very interesting. Actually, I like to visit new places, different countries, etc. I always get excited when I see something new, some old buildings, palaces, squares and museums. I like to wander on the cities, explore new food and new places. In an unspeakable feeling when you find some park to get rest after the hours of walking around a new city. You can buy something to eat (some local food) and drink some beer or wine (also local) and enjoy that moment when your exhausted legs finally have their well-deserved rest and your empty stomach tells you "thanks, man" ))

Submitted by Meiry Mella on Fri, 31/07/2020 - 17:36

I would like to visit Bangkok someday. The pictures of the beaches I've seen are so beautiful they don't even look real. Although I've never been there, I've tried Thai food, and I have to say, it is one of the most delicious food I have ever ate.

Submitted by Nobu1230 on Fri, 31/07/2020 - 15:17

I've never been to Bangkok in Thailand,so I would like to go there.I have two reason,first My bestfriend live in now there.He has lived there since 2017 for a company transfar.I will ask him to guide me around famous spots.Second I want to see main city which is growing in last few years.Bangkok become one of the most famous city and economy grows remarkably.So I want to see real city and people and shop and atmosphere with my own eyes.

Submitted by Tsuyoshi watanabe on Fri, 31/07/2020 - 08:48

I want to go to Bangkok. Because I am interested in foreign cultures. I have never been abroad since I was born. Therefore, I don't know cultures other than Japan, and how foreign countries are different from Japan. People of different cultures have different personalities, and I want to know what kind of people live in foreign countries. Also, I want to experience a culture that Japan doesn't have. If I go to Bangkok, I want to enjoy famous food. If I can find out what tastes are normal in Bangkok and what kind of appearance food is accepted, I will be able to know more about the tastes of the people who live there.

Submitted by Haiuyen on Fri, 31/07/2020 - 08:20

I would like to Bangkok someday. I have seen many pictures about Bangkok. I think it is a good place to come to relieve tress,entertain. Bangkok has a lot of delious food and temples,pagoda. So I really like to go with my parents to there♡♡

Submitted by Saria Muraoka on Thu, 30/07/2020 - 12:07

I have never been to Bangkok before. But I would like to visit there very much. I know there are a lot of famous spots. So there is always something fun to do in Bangkok. I'm interested in temple. We able to visit temple, and experience that town's culture on trip. The best thing about Bangkok is food. We can eat delicious meal. In addition to there are very cheap. I have never eaten Thai food. I want to try myself abroad. I will eat until I'm full. If I have chance to go Bangkok, I want to challenge a lot of things there.

Submitted by Maiko Tanzawa on Tue, 28/07/2020 - 14:03

I want to go to Bangkok, Thailand. I haven't been to Thailand since I was born, so I'm wondering what it is like. And since Bangkok is the capital of Thailand and a big city known for its luxuriously decorated temples and lively people's lives, I would really like to see and experience the sight. And since the food seems delicious, I would like to try various dishes and dishes I have never eaten.

Submitted by R on Mon, 27/07/2020 - 18:36

I have never been to Bangkok, but I would like to visit someday.Chao Phraya River studied in geography class in high school.The teacher said that the Chao Phraya River cannot be missed for sightseeing.I want to go sightseeing by boat on the Chao Phraya River.I've never eaten Thai food, so I'm looking forward to eating it locally.I also want to go around various temples.I want to see and enjoy temples with different colors and structures.I wish I could go someday!

Submitted by Yuri Chida on Mon, 27/07/2020 - 14:06

I would like to visit Bangkok. I have never been to Bangkok. However, I heard that there are many places to visit in Bangkok for example, the Khao San Road, the Central World Plaza, and the Flow House Bangkok. I’m especially interested in the Khao San Road. Also, I can enjoy visiting temples, shopping, and eating delicious foods in Bangkok. In particular, I would like to eat delicious foods such as tom yum goong and Hainanese chicken rice. Also, I would like to try Mahanakhon Skywalk and get a thrill. If I have a chance to visit Bangkok, I will enjoy traveling.

Submitted by hoshi on Mon, 27/07/2020 - 09:35

Hello everyone. I have never been to Bangkok.However, I want to go to there. It is because it has a lot of famous tourist destination. If I go to Bangkok, first do to Watt Arun. It is a most famous spot in the Bangkok. so, I want to see the Temple of dawn. I think the biggest purpose of going abroad is to get in touch with other culture.and I can talk with Local people. In many cases, They actively communication for me. That way I can experience other culture.

Submitted by Yonemura Tomoya on Mon, 27/07/2020 - 09:00

I would like to visit Bangkok. I heard there are many places to eat in Bangkok, and I can eat delicious meals everywhere. I want to visit there and eat them. Particularly, I want to eat Thai food because I have never eaten. Also, those food is very cheep, so I can use many money. Also, Bangkok has many tourist spots. Although All of them is fascinating, I'm interested in historic spots. Bankok has interesting history, so I want to see historic building and learn their history. Now, I need to study language and culture to visit Bankok someday.

Submitted by tomoka on Mon, 27/07/2020 - 08:15

I would like to visit Bangkok. I have a reason for feeling this way. To begin with, I often watch traveling videos on YouTube. And, I notice Bangkok is so attracted place. The reason why is that the landscape of market in Bangkok is so beautiful. Therefore, in there, I want to see the landscape and take pictures. Furthermore, I hear the food there are in Bangkok is so tasty. So, I wanna eat them if I visit there. In addition, Bangkok is the place where I want to go someday. This reason makes me think I would like to visit Bangkok.

Submitted by Naru Yasuda on Sun, 26/07/2020 - 15:30

I want to go to Bangkok. Because I think it has a lot of good points. First, many people said Bangkok is asleep country. It is because Bangkok has a lot of places, foods, shops, views and so on. So if we were went to Bangkok, we should enjoy all days and you will have a good experience. Second, it has a beautiful view. It has many gold buildings. I think it looks like Aladdin’s world. I like Aladdin very much. So, I want to see this beautiful view at once. For these reasons, I want to go to Bangkok

Submitted by NANAKA on Mon, 13/07/2020 - 09:09

Hello! I haven't been to Bangkok in Thailand yet. I have a friend from Thailand . I heard from her that Thailand is cheerful country and pro-Japanese. I'm also interested in original cultures. But I'm worried because the country has very poor sanitation. Moreover, I don't like ethnic food and coriander. I've tried so many times, but I still don't eat it. Coriander tastes like medicine. If I have a chance to visit abroad, I'd like to go to other country. Sorry.

Submitted by Risa on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 08:08

I would like to go to Bangkok someday. I have never go there up to the present. My aunt often goes there. She always gave souvenir for my family. In most cases, the souvenir is spices or foodstuffs. I’m bad at this taste. But, my parents like it. If I can overcome Bangkok’s local food in the future, I want go to there with my parents. My knowledge of Bangkok is shallow idea, But I know there has a lot of temple. There temples are so beautiful, gorgeous and colorful. I think Japanese temples are frugally than Bangkok. So, I want to see many temples with own eyes. I searched about Bangkok as my interest. There has a lot of sightseeing place, such as cruising, market and pool. If the coronavirus ends, I want to make up a plan for travel to Bangkok.

Submitted by Dr.Mohamed A. Zein on Sat, 27/06/2020 - 13:43

Yes, I would like go ...I want really to see and enjoy different culture, food and places. If I have money I will visit that place

Submitted by Dr Doaa Mahmoud on Sat, 27/06/2020 - 13:36

Yes, of course. I'd like to visit Bangkok as I like travelling to new places and countries. If I have money, I will think

Submitted by laiiiilerrrr on Wed, 17/06/2020 - 06:04

Yes I would like to visit Bangkok because it is one of the world’s most visited city. The country also have many interactive places from the unbeatable street food to the temples, markets and over-the-top luxury.

Submitted by Riko on Mon, 15/06/2020 - 03:40

I would like to visit Bangkok someday. I think there are many places for sightseeing and interesting foods. I'm interested in culture of Thailand. Also, I want to see the snake farm and watch the live snake show. Of course, I want to touch a snake. I have impression of Bangkok that is a lively capital. Thailand is not far from Japan, so I want to go to Bangkok.

Submitted by ryota on Sun, 14/06/2020 - 16:32

I would like to visit Bangkok in Thai. I have never been to Bangkok before. I am very interested in other culture. So I want to know Bangkok's food culture, custom, and so on. I want to eat Thai's street food. According to this article, Thai's street food is among the best in the world, and for around 5$.I don't have a lot of money. One of my dreams is to eat a lot of delicious food with little money. Also, I want to go to a temple. I heard there are a lot of buddhist and a lot of temple in Bangkok. I think religion has a great influence on the origin of the culture of the country. For these reasons, I would like to visit Bangkok in Thai.

Submitted by Sharif Tayyebi on Sat, 13/06/2020 - 16:54

I have heard and seen something interesting about Thailand, but I am not interested in traveling to Thailand. There are many reasons, but the most important one is that I don't know the language of this country. I know the importance of traveling to and other southern parts of Asia. All these countries have nice places for sightseeing, and their cultures are a lovely part of human's experiences. Therefore, if I can learn English fluently, then I will choose Thailand as a travel destination. I wish that I can very soon. Regards, Tayyebi

Submitted by sosabeli on Sat, 13/06/2020 - 02:33

I really love bird, like REALLY I would love to see ewhat of birds species are in Bangkok, to see marine species and all kind of animals that are in there. Bangkok sound like a really nice place and also with a nice people.

Submitted by SamerTJ on Thu, 11/06/2020 - 08:13

Yes, of course, because I like travelling to new places, trying new foods and making new friends from different cultures. I have had no idea about Thailand before reading this text and it seems amazing.

Submitted by Nanami on Mon, 08/06/2020 - 09:45

I haven't been interested in Thailand until now, but this time I found out about tourism there and I really would like to visit Bangkok. Because we can go shopping and eat local foods cheaply. The great thing is they are very low costs but we can get good products and delicious foods. The place I want to visit is a huge shopping mall popular with young people. I've seen a TV program about sightseeing in Bangkok. The color of Thai miscellaneous goods were very flashy and it had a charm that Japanese things don't have, so I want to buy colorful bags or clothes. Thailand is close to Japan, so I'd like to travel once.

Submitted by Osuke on Wed, 03/06/2020 - 09:42

Yes. I would like to visit Bangkok. I've never been there, so I want to go there and see the night view. And Bangkok is attractive because it is close to Japan and I can go at a cheap price. Then there is another reason why I want to go. The reason is that I want to eat Thai food. I really like shrimp, so I want to eat Tom Yum Kung! I also want to visit some tourist spot in Bangkok. For example, swimming in the sea called Pattaya, shopping at a big shopping mall, or riding elephant at Ayutthaya ruins. I really want to go and try various things.

Submitted by Arezoo on Wed, 03/06/2020 - 01:53

I am sure I would like to visit Bangkok again. That was quit interesting for me to visit temples and getting familiar with their culture also there was opportunity to enjoy street seafood. Besides I should confess that I got impressed by unique market which is called flow market. You can find a range of goods there from handicraft to tropical fruit. It is an asset for me to visit such a diverse place again.

Submitted by Stela Stoycheva on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 13:37

Yes, I would like go there...When I saw picture it`s looking really different from European countries, different culture, food. If I have money I will visit that place :)

Submitted by Y on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 10:36

Yes, I would like to visit Bangkok. I like seeing a lot of sightseeing spots, because I can feel the energy and escape from reality. I think that Bangkok has a lot of colorful buildings and very nice view at night. If I visit Bangkok, I want to go shopping and try to many food. Especially, I want to go to ICONSIAM. There is very big shopping mall. I like shopping and clothes, so I want to go there to buy clothes or accessories. In addition, I want to eat Tom yam kung. I have ever eaten it in Japan. But I want to eat real Tom yam kung!!! So, I have a lot of things to go to Bangkok. I hope I can go there someday.

Submitted by yusuke on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 08:09

Of course, I do. Because there are a lot of temples and delicious Thai food. They really attract me. I want to study their culture. I think I will not feel enough about one day trip. If I plan to go, it will be a week or so. My goal in the trip is to make friends and keep in touch even I back to Japan.

Submitted by Ayaka on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 07:56

I have never been to any other countries but I really want to go to many countries.This is because I can touch other cultures. Also, it let me think differently. So, I read this article and want to visit Thailand one day. Speaking of Thailand, an image full of colorful things. If I can go there I would like to enjoy the scenery, eat tropical fruits, have a Thai massage, interact with animals that we can't interact with in Japan and have a relaxing time there.It seems that I can have various experiences like these, It will be a good time for my growth.

Submitted by Wakana M on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 03:56

Yes. I’ve never been to Bangkok, so I would like to go there once. I would like to visit to many countries, and I think it would be good way to know other country’s culture and lifestyle. In addition, I often hear that there are beautiful sites, and we can interact with animals such as tigers or elephants. I want to see sites and interact with them. However, I have a reason what I don’t want to visit there. my sister has been there once, she said “I couldn’t eat Thai food, because they were all too spicy.” I thought I couldn’t eat either. Because I don’t like spicy foods. But I also think that it’s important to challenge anything. So, I would like to go there.

Submitted by senes19 on Sun, 31/05/2020 - 12:48

I didn't. But I would like to travel to Bangkok. I have never heart anything about city. However, I have never met before any person who has lived in there, I want to see and explore to this city. Differences is attractive for me.

Submitted by Mirna Crisostomo on Wed, 27/05/2020 - 18:40

Yes, I would like it. It`s always good to know other cultures and Bangkok is interesting!!

Submitted by mouna99 on Wed, 27/05/2020 - 18:30

I would like to try the food there

Submitted by mouna99 on Wed, 27/05/2020 - 18:29

Yes I would like to visit Bangkok, I saw an amazing pictures of the city

Submitted by Julia19 on Sun, 24/05/2020 - 11:00

I'm sure that lifestyle of Banckog isn't suitable for me. But it's quite interesting to visit new place with absolutely different culture. I'd rather go to the beach and maybe see the main sights than visit the city with its traffic and busy people.

Submitted by syah on Sat, 23/05/2020 - 06:54

It seems interesting. Maybe one day, I will visit Bangkok city to see how wonderful their culture and also taste their delicious culinare.