A class forum

Learn how to write a post on a class forum.

Reading text

Add your comment below:

So cool to read about everyone's home tradition they miss the most! I'm from England but I've been living in the States for five years and the thing I miss the most is Bonfire Night on November 5th.

The best thing about Bonfire Night is the fireworks, oh, and the bonfires! … and the history behind it. Basically, Guy Fawkes and his friends tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament and kill King James I. They nearly did it too – they hired a room under the House of Parliament and filled it with explosives. But someone told the royal palace. The authorities found Guy Fawkes in the room guarding the explosives, and he was sentenced to torture and death.

So it's a tradition that celebrates the fact that the king survived. It also means people don't forget what happens if you plot against your country. There's a kind of poem about it that starts 'Remember, remember the fifth of November, gunpowder, treason and plot.' That's why we build a 'guy' – a life-size model of Guy Fawkes – and burn it on the bonfire. Pretty dark and horrible when you think about it!

Tips

1. It's nice to start by saying something that shows you have read other people's posts.
  2. In a class forum you can be quite informal.
  3. In informal writing you can sometimes miss out the beginning of a phrase:
    So cool to read about everyone's home tradition ...
  4. Remember, in a forum you are part of a long conversation with a lot of other people so they might ask you questions.
Do you need to improve your English writing skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English writing skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

B1 English level (intermediate)

Submitted by serine97 on Fri, 28/08/2020 - 16:57

The tradition I mostly like and miss is the family gathering on the first day of Eid Al Fitr. When I was young, we used to wake up at 06.00 Am on the first day of the Eid and went to pray at the mosque. Then we got back to the home, drank a cup of coffee, wore our new clothes, and went to our grandparent’s house. The whole members of our family were meeting there and exchanging talks and laughs. After that, we started visiting every single family we know in the village from sunrise until sunset. The kids were playing together or went to parks whereas the parents were eating and having a conversation. Unfortunately, we lost our village, most of our relatives and our houses because of the war at Syria, so we are no longer doing that. Instead, we are spending the Eid these days watching movies and cooking. It is really sad and lonely.

Submitted by alonsofong94 on Fri, 28/08/2020 - 04:14

So excited to know about all traditions in different countries. I'm from Peru and one of the most important things about our culture is the gastronomy. In Holly week, christians must not eat beef meal and they replaced it with chicken or fish meal. In the north of Peru (where I'm from) used to eat "Malarrabia", that it's a traditional food and contains fish, rice and mashed banana. So delicious! Basically, it name comes from a legend: when a men comes to him house after work, talk rudly to his wife to his wife asking for food! So she has to cook quickly with whatever she has at the kitchen. In spanish the name was created compounding words with the form that wife cooks = "bad + rage".

Submitted by greciarodriguez on Fri, 28/08/2020 - 03:59

Hi, everyone! Really happy to know a little bit more about other cultures around the world without travelling yet. Here in Peru there are many celebrations and traditions that are well known internationally, but I want to explain about one in particular in my country Piura: Maria Auxiliadora's day. Here there is a school named Salesiano Don Bosco that every year at june 24th celebrates the day of the Maria Auxiliadora. All the students prepares many artistics acts to entertain the assitants like a mini concerts, poems, songs singed by the students and their families or dancing "tondero" or "marinera" (tradicional dances from Piura). All the citizens go to this School every night for a week to pray and at the central day they can see the acts prepared. In this pandemic context the artistics acts were presented by students, ex students and families in the Facebook fan page of the school and the procession of the virgin was made but without assistants in the streets. We have others traditions in Piura and hope soon you can enjoy it too if you visit us.

Submitted by Rumeysa on Tue, 25/08/2020 - 21:05

Hello, I really like to read about other culture's home tradition. I am from Turkey and in my country, people make a dessert that include in it many things like dried fruits, almond, wheat, etc. It is called "Aşure" and it is symbol of a religious event. Also this dessert has a connective and sharing meaning. People are making that and sharing it in their neighborhood. The main aim behind is actually sharing it with others and i like it:))

Submitted by kyawkyawsoezhu on Tue, 25/08/2020 - 14:26

Hi, everyone It's so nice to see everyone is writing about their culture and it encourage me to write as well. I'm from Myanmar, a small Southeast Asian country, located between China and India. We have so many ethnic groups with their own different cultures. My favorite one is the water festival, we called it Thingyan, the date was calculated by Burmese calendar, usually it occurs in the middle of April, we celebrate it from 4 to 5 days. I don't know the history behind it that much, but I heard it is a heritage from India, We celebrate by water-throwing to each other, it was so fun. People usually water-throwing to the person that they like first, Children go around the city and shot at each other by a water gun, when we tired we can go to nearest houses or stage that serve foods, enjoy Thingyan snacks, and in my hometown we go to the river at the evening for swimming. We didn't celebrate this year as coronavirus spread but hopefully, we can celebrate it next year. Thanks Please feel free to correct my granma, usage, or bad writing.

Submitted by SERGE MASSON on Wed, 26/08/2020 - 19:47

In reply to by kyawkyawsoezhu

Hi, as you have suggested in your post, I'll make a few comments on your writing : - throwing water at each other - People usually throw water - shoot at each other with a water gun - when we're tired - to the nearest houses Hope this helps

Submitted by Ethel_Morales on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 22:17

Hi everyone, I really enjoyed reading about your traditions and it's nice to learn something new about another countries. I'm from Bolivia, here we have many traditions, some of them have been told by our forebears in an oral way and since we are on August, I will tell you about the tradition called "mesa". This month is for us earth month, the objetive is to thanks and ask whatever you need to "Pachamama" as our culture used to called the earth. So, the idea is to buy a pack with some candies that have different forms (house, animals, heart, money, etc) and sometimes you can buy a llama fetus dissect, it sound cruel but it i important to know that all the fetus that are used in this purpose have died by natural ways, there is the idea that if a fetus dies it means that earth wants it back. After, you build a bonfire and burn all of this, thinking in everything you want to say to Pachamama and my grandfather used to say that you should wait there until everything have been fired.

Submitted by Nomi on Fri, 21/08/2020 - 15:38

Hello everyone! I'd like to talk about our most important tradition. In Mongolia, Naadam is our traditional festival on the 11th of July. It takes 3 days and we called it " Eriin gurvan naadam ".Naadam has three parts of which are wrestling, horse racing, and archery. Beginning of the festival we watch the performance that's about history. President's opening speech and this festival's special food is 'huushuur'. It's similar to a dumpling or Russian cuisines. We really proud of Naadam and it's our most important festival. Even Covid-19 spreads all around the world, however we celebrated this year. I'm really happy to share something. It's we haven't any death case of Covid-19. Thank you

Submitted by IKEDA on Wed, 19/08/2020 - 17:21

In our city "Kyoto", there is one of the three major festivals in Japan called "Gion Matsuri". That festival has been held to celebrate the growth of the city for more than 1000 years. And this is the long-run event that continues for a month. Like this, as the event has a long history and a long exhibition period, a lot of tourists, approximately two million, come to this event every year. Due to the COVID-19, there wasn't held this year though, I recommend all of you to come if you are interested in that event. I hope the pandemic will weaken soon.

Submitted by cittàutopica on Sun, 16/08/2020 - 22:07

In my country there are many traditions connected to the people's devotion for some popular saints; these traditions derive from the pagan rites often, which the Catholic church has Christianized. But there are other traditions too, that commemorate historical events, enriched with imaginary details, passed down from a generation to the other.

Submitted by Shama107 on Sun, 16/08/2020 - 13:46

Hello, great to see all this diversities and get knowledge of world traditions. I’m from United Arab Emirates living in Dubai the city of life, one of my favorite traditions is ( Hares ) a special food made with water, rice, salt and meet, Hares is popular food in my country, must have it in each celebration or gathering.

Submitted by Elda on Wed, 12/08/2020 - 01:07

Good evening! I´m greatly happy to read about your traditional celebrations, I´m from Chile and here we celebrate the first join of goberment on september 18th, but usually it can take three o five days to finish. Our traditional dance is called "Cueca" that is refered to a flirt between cock and hen, The dancers are "Huasos and Chinas" whom wear a traditional custome and dress, moving in their hands a white napking. Chileans drink a lot of "Chicha" (fermented apple juice), eat barbeque, "empanadas" (filled dough with meat), and "alfajores" (like a cookie filled with caramilized condensed milk). There are also many different games for adults and children. That Chile is really long, the traditions can changed a little bit, it´s not the same to live in the north than in the south, traditions can be influenced by natives and the weather too. We have many different beautiful landscapes, dances, meals, drinks throught the country!

Submitted by Takaya on Wed, 12/08/2020 - 01:01

Reading a lot of your posts is a lot of fun. You can learn about traditions and cultures you do not know. I am Japanese, especially Japanese traditional culture is recommended. There are many traditional cultures in Japan such as Kabuki, tea ceremony, and kendo. Recently, I have been interested in young people and many foreigners by co-starring Japanese traditional culture Kabuki and subculture anime. Many traditional Japanese cultures place great importance on polite manners. In addition, Japan is proud of the culture that expresses our emotions with a few words in tanka and haiku. Traditional buildings are also recommended in Japan. There are many traditional shrines and temples in Japan. They are more than the number of convenience stores. Especially recommended is Kyoto. Kyoto has famous shrines and temples that many people, including foreigners, know. Among them, I especially recommend Ryoanji Temple. The rock garden here is very attractive and there is a mystery that you cannot see 15 stones at the same time. In Japan, the four seasons are clearly separated, so it's very nice to see shrines and temples with cherry blossoms and plum blossoms in spring, autumn leaves in autumn, and snow in winter.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Tue, 11/08/2020 - 09:30

I like our tradition to celebrate New Year the best. I like it when our streets full of decorations, every shop, bank, or pharmacy decorate their show windows with paper snowflakes, conifer trees, and fairy lights. It's a bit dark these days in our country - short days and long nights - and all these lights and garnishes look awesome. And the mood! Everyone feels happy in the New Year. Well, obviously not everyone, but even those, who feel sad, try to cheer themselves. And dreams! I know it's silly but during the New Year's holidays, you have this feeling that something good may happen in the next year. Yes, you get older and it's become harder to believe in magic but in the New Year eve, you make a wish and hope your dreams will make come true somehow.

Submitted by asmaashraf on Mon, 10/08/2020 - 08:05

Hi to everyone. I would like to tell you about my best traditional culture of my country and I'm sure it is interesting to all of you. I am from Iran with oldest history and civilization in the world. but it have been 5 years I live in Hong Gong. my very beautiful tradition is called "Sizdah Bedar" or nature of day. it takes in 13 days later after new year on April of each year. Iranian believe that number of 13 is ominous. so for throw it away they shouldn't stay at home and go out to nature with family and friend. during this day, people gather together to celebrate, dance, sing, make delicious food and so on. also in the whole day, they have best wishes and happiness for each others. in addition to girl and boy who want to marry, tied the greens and wishes to start family in the new year.

Submitted by STELLA RIBEIRO SILVA on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 21:29

Hi guys! I read some of your traditions and I really enjoyed every single one. So, today I decided to tell you one of my family's traditions. I live in Salvador, Brasil, and in every New Year's Eve my family and I go to the beach in order to pray for a better year and to "jump seven waves". This tradition of "Jumping seven waves" is a huge thing here in Brazil. I believe that many brazilians - that live near the coast - also do that in this time of the year. I don't know exactly why do we do that, however, this is an important part of this tradition, because in every single wave that we jump, we make a wish for the new year that comes be great, peaceful and fun. That is it guys! Hope you liked my tradition.

Submitted by Luiz Felipe on Tue, 04/08/2020 - 12:21

So nice to read lots of posts of you guys, so much diversity. I'm Brazilian and onw of the most popular celebrations is Festa Junina. It happens every year in June and July to celebrate the christian saints Anthony, John and Peter. The party has plenty of delicious typical corn based food such as cakes and candys. The traditional beverage is the "quentão", kind of a "hot wine" cooked with some spices, normally cinnamon or ginger. People are gathered around the bonfire and dance the "quadrilha" simulating a marriage ceremony and party.

Submitted by mariaptis on Fri, 31/07/2020 - 18:31

Good afternoon! I've enjoyed everyone's traditions in their countries. I feel like they express a lot of the country culture. In my country, I think the most famous tradition is the 'Semana Santa' or Holy Week. It's not my favorite one, but I have to admit that it is quite impressive. If you aren't from Spain and you haven't heard from it, I think you would be surprised. It consists in carrying the sculpture of different saints on the different days of the week, and everyone that is a member of the brotherhood of each saint, participates on the procession, by carrying some elements that represent parts of the history, like a candle, a rule book or a guiding cross. Most of the participants wear long robes and hoods for the procession. This whole tradition is made to conmemorate the life and death of Jesus Christ.

Submitted by Julie2563 on Thu, 30/07/2020 - 13:56

Hi everyone!! I really glad to read about your traditions. And I'll be very happy if you know about traditions in my country. I am from Belarus. And one of the most popular celebrations here is The Dozhinki Festival. This weird word means 'end of harvest'. It is celebrated in our villages every years. The most important that the sponsors choose constantly different countrysides.The best workers of the agro-industrial complex are awarded there. This Festival also has the own emblem. Its a flag with golden ears. The celebration lasts 2 days. In a first we have ceremonial part, performance of folk groups and etc. In a second - a fair and concerts in open areas. The Dozhinki Festival lasts until 1996. At that period it was in a 49 cities and its just the beginning. And I'll be very grateful if u want to visit our incredible holidays.

Submitted by Hakona on Thu, 30/07/2020 - 10:17

We actually have a celebration in Egypt which is really similar to the Bon Fire night on November 5th . We also make a model of a person and burn it on the bon fire and there is a song about it too. In addition the history is similar in the means that it was an intruder who was caught and punished by the people of Port Saiid during the tripartite aggression in 1956 . However , it is celebrated On the spring feast which is held according to the Coptic Calender so the exact date changes from year to another .

Submitted by melanieamorin on Wed, 29/07/2020 - 15:55

So interesting to read the different traditions of your countries! I always lived in Uruguay, a little country from South America, We have one popular traditions well known across the world: Uruguayans drink mate (it's a hot drink and a tea infusion) wherever they go, we use thermos instead of a kettle to prepare the infusion. Personally, I don't enjoy drinking it because the flavor is pretty bitter, but almost everyone love to go out with friends, family or alone carrying a thermo under the arm. Others traditions are football, asado (meat) and Carnaval.

Submitted by aniley on Mon, 27/07/2020 - 22:17

It`s very interesting to know about traditions and culture of others country. I am cuban but I have been in Madrid since 2011. In Cuba there are many festivals , but I prefer Cubadisco Festivals on May14th. A lots foreing and local musicians are meet in the Havana and share their arts

Submitted by sofi_ramirezmurtagh on Mon, 27/07/2020 - 03:44

Good to know other traditions around the world. Well in my country, Chile, it's a tradition to celebrate de independence day on 18 September. We usually celebrate about 3 days in which people doesn't work or do anything related to "daily obligations". Partys, barbeque, and lots of wine and other chilean drinks are very classic in this celebration. There's a tradicional dance called "la cueca" which is known and performed by every chilean who can walk because this dance is tough since kindergarden to the kids. All I can say is that it is my favorite time of the year because I can have a good time with my friends and family.

Submitted by Hn0062 on Fri, 24/07/2020 - 18:05

There are many traditions in my country like Chaharshanbe souri, Yalda night, Norooz, Tiregan and so on, but I always have preferred Yalda night that it is a happy night and very important for Iranian people. Yalda night is at the beginning of the winter. It is celebrated on 30th of Azar in solar calendar. Yalda night is the longest night of the year. Do you know that Yalda night is one minute longer than all nights? Because it seems to us, the darkness was a symbol of the devil. We are up till midnight and turn on fire to get rid of the devil and celebrate it with family. Therefore all families get together in the house of the oldest family member. This old tradition is related to Zoroastrianism. We usually cook Fish and rice for that night. The most important things that we eat are watermelon, nuts, and pomegranate. We believe that we should serve forty types of foods. But pomegranate and red color are symbol of that night. People would like to wear red dresses, design their home with this color and serve foods in red dishes. We often turn on red candles. We read a poem of Hafez for each person and believe that Hafez's poems show our destiny. We listen to music and usually dance.
I enjoyed your comment a lot. I remembered all those nice memories I had back home. I hope all the joy and happiness will come back to our country one day.
Profile picture for user cassiamattos2013

Submitted by cassiamattos2013 on Tue, 21/07/2020 - 20:43

I loved to know about culture and traditions of other countries. I live in Brazil and here there a lot of traditions about everything. (smiles)... Actually, the most important Brazilian tradition is the "Carnaval". Who never listened about our "Carnaval"? It's a very beautiful party that takes in February ou march of each year. I love to see the samba school parade for the TV, because is very expensive to whatchs in the places, like Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo. But is very impressive.

Submitted by gachatama26 on Tue, 21/07/2020 - 11:25

I think Japan has many deep traditions. And I‘m proud of all Japanese traditions. Also, I like the four seasons the best amongst all of them. So, I would like to explain some attractions of the four seasons. There are many ways to enjoy the four seasons in Japan. Japanese always value and have fun it. I’ll give typical examples. Firstly, we enjoy to eat seasonal ingredients. For instance, in spring, we have cherry and spring cabbage. In summer, we eat tomato, edamame and eggplant. In autumn, we enjoy to eat apple, sweet potato and chestnut. And then, in winter, we have Chinese cabbage and pumpkin. I like to eat seasonal ingredients during the season. And I think many Japanese take good care of the seasonal ingredients and eat them while having fun. Secondly, the distinct climates in Japan allow us to enjoy various fashions. For example, people who live in areas of the mild climate throughout the year can’t wear a coat and sweater. On the other hand, it’s kind of difficult for people who live in areas of the cold climate throughout the year to wear a sorts and sandals. However, in japan, we can try many different types of fashions because of the four seasons. Japanese have valued their traditions for a long time. Then, the four seasons is one of the most important traditions in Japan. So, I would like to cherish my country’s traditions.

Submitted by lericardolima on Tue, 21/07/2020 - 01:22

Hello! It's wonderful to see how people of different cultures gather together to celebrate. Here in Brazil, the most famous celebration is of course the Carnival, specially in the cities of Rio de Janeiro, Salvador and Recife. But Brazil is as big as its variety of traditions. Beyond Carnival, we also have Parintins in the Amazon, Oktoberfest in the South, Barretos in Southeast and the one I wanna talk about: the June Festivals. Also known as São João, these celebrations are as important as Carnival in the Northeast of Brazil. It happens, obviously, in June, and celebrates some Saints of the Catholic Church. It has a lot of typical dances, food (most of them made with corn), clothing and activities, such as lighting bondfires, launch baloons and fireworks.

Submitted by angmoreno04 on Fri, 17/07/2020 - 23:29

Hi to everyone!, I was reading about a lot of interesting traditions around the world. I'm from Colombia, in this country we have a lot of traditions and festivals, one of the most knowed is San Pedro Festival, diferents cities celebrate it. the goverment allocates a budget to this tradition, so during 3 days there are parades across the main avenues with dancers which performance the tipical dance of the city, they wear tipical costumes, also there is a parade with the most beautiful women in the region and at the end of the San Pedro festival juries choose the year's queen. Usually peopel originaly from the city and some tourist dacing and drink alcohol while they appreciate the parade. Also is traditional to taste the tipical meals like Lechona (pork with chickpeas) and Tamal (yellow rice with chicken and pork wrapped in banana leaf), I know that it sounds stranges for foreigners but trust me! it's delicious. In summary it's a great event to have fun with friend and family and appreciate traditions like the tipical dances.

Submitted by sorsi on Thu, 16/07/2020 - 14:50

Hi! Really interesting traditions here guys! I am from Argentina, and in my country, we celebrate the 25th of May because its the day of the revolution, when we become independent from Spain, in 1810. It is a very important day for us, and there are celebrations in all the cities of the country. People eat "locro" and "empanadas", all traditionals foods. There are shows in the street and at nignt there are fireworks at the "cabildo" the place where the revolution started. It is a very important date and we love to celebrate.

Submitted by Ruma Ghosh on Mon, 13/07/2020 - 15:24

It's very interesting to know about the culture and traditions of other parts of the world. My county India is famous across the world due to its rich culture and traditions which has become our identity also. Throughout the year we celebrate many festivals following different traditions. Each of which is carrying forward a message to the next generation. Holi is one of them. Also known as the festivals of colours, Holi is celebrated in the month of March. This ancient tradition marks the end of winter and herald of spring. It also honours the triumph of good over evil. A day before the festival is the evening of bonfires. People light bonfires of dead leaves ,twigs and wooden sticks ,dance and sings around to commemorate the saving of Prahlad(a mythical character)and burning of his wicked aunt. Next day people throw colours on each others ,visits each others place, make delicious dishes of which 'gujiya' is very famous. This is a day where people forget about their enemities and embrace each other with love and friendship.

Submitted by Nala on Sun, 12/07/2020 - 11:05

So cool to read about everyone’s home tradition. they like the most. I’m from Ethiopia. I will tell you about special tradition we have as Oromo people in Ethiopia. It’s called Irreechaa. Basically Irreechaa is thanksgiving holiday of Oromo people in Ethiopia. We celebrate Irreechaa to thanks god the blessings and mercies the received throughout the previous year.The Irreechaa festival is celebrated every year at the beginning of spring, new season after the dark and rainy winter season. The thanksgiving is celebrated at sacred lakes across Oromia. Last year in 2019, the festival was celebrated into the nation’s capital Addis Ababa for the first time.

Submitted by Abdulla Masood on Sat, 11/07/2020 - 18:44

It's clear from the history, that past was cruel as well as magical

Submitted by KARIANA MENIN on Thu, 09/07/2020 - 19:24

Hello guys. Nice to know more about others cultures and traditions. I´m from Brazil, and for me, the most important and traditional event is June Party. In this celebration there´s a lot of dances, food and bonfire, there´s a traditional drink, called "quentão" (hotwine). Here in Brazil, there´s a lot of celebrations, like Carnival, and others religious events.

Submitted by Usaamaadam2 on Fri, 03/07/2020 - 15:27

It's very nice tradition that refers to the history of your country , i feel excitement to read such like this .. thank you

Submitted by mrbruno on Thu, 02/07/2020 - 16:56

Hey everyone, Thanks for sharing your own countries tradition. I am Brazilian and I will be telling you about the biggest street party we have in Brazil which is called Carnaval (in Portuguese). The Carnaval takes place every year during the second week of February and depending on the city it might take up to 3 weeks to end. People from all over the word come to Brazil to enjoy the magical experience of the Carnaval parties on the streets, which is basically happy people dancing to live music played by famous musicians throughout the whole day/night. The Brazilians rhythms most successful and know at the Carnaval are: Samba, Axe, Pagode and Funk. The cool thing about this party is that singers and bands usually perform from the top of moving tracks (also know as electric trio) that are all prepared to have the band installations on it, so people that follows the trucks around the city get to enjoy the music at different areas and locations. Also the famous Samba School Parade is another Carnaval tradition in Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro during February. Every year the schools of samba choose a random topic to present on the parade as they will tell a story through their music, costumes and performance for 1 hour. There are hundred of people in the different Samba School groups that prepare themselves for many months in a row to compete between themselves and hopefully gets to the first place. Meanwhile lots of people would be watching the parade from home on the tv or live on the Sapucai (purpose-built parade area) being amused by the allegories, fantastic vibe from the samba school car and of course dancing to samba rhythm.

Submitted by muhammad baig on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 17:56

Hello everyone It was nice reading about different traditions from various countries. I'm from Kuwait so we have two festivals in the year Eid al-Fitr after Ramadan and Eid al-Adha

Submitted by R.A.D on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 06:48

Awesome traditions you got there guys! I had fun reading all about them . I am Reem from Saudi Arabia and I will tell you about a special tradition we have there. It is a festival called Aljunadryia ! Basically, it is a festival to celebrate saudis’ traditions . It happens annually on April, and it consists of lots of festivals all around Saudi Arabia, the biggest one happens in Riyadh, the capital, though. Many people gather and display their old outfits, foods, dances, and even their various kits. There are many different things there. Saudi Arabia is a huge country thus you will see distinct customs from various places. One thing that I really like about Aljunadryia is the “Al -Ardhah”, a special dance used to be performed when facing enemies in wars. Men gather and hit the earth in splendid movements and roar a wonderful rhyme to encourage themselves and to scare the enemies!! It’s amazing the number of things you can do in a single place, It feels like traveling back in time and that’s just wonderful!

Submitted by Osvaldo Sandoval on Tue, 30/06/2020 - 00:43

It's good to know about the tradition of Bonfire night in uk. In a little town of the north of Chile there is a tradition in December 31th just with the old year is finishing and the new year is starting. During a whole December people organized by neighbord or some club, to build on the street a big character of the last film or cartoon and the city council give a reward to the Champion. In December 31th at midnight they burn to character. The idea is to burn all the bad thing of the old year.

Submitted by Belen jimbo on Mon, 29/06/2020 - 08:55

In Ecuador there are many traditions. I love the traditions of my country, because they are unique. I find the tradition you're talking about interesting. I would like to know a little more. If I lived in another country I would miss all these traditions.

Submitted by Glenda T on Sun, 28/06/2020 - 07:58

In my country, Ecuador, there are some celebrations, the most celebrations are related to the religious field. This holydays are: In Jnuary New Year, in february Holy week and Carniva, in march the Day of woman, in april is the fundation of my city, it's Cuenca. May is the monyh of the Virgin María and the mother's day, in june is the children day, in july I don´t know a festivity, maybe we rest this month, in agust, setember, october we have some festivitys dosen't very matter. In november is the independence of Cuenca, this celebration is very important and in december we celebrate the Christmas. Generally, these are the holydays that the country celebrate, but in family we celebrate the birthday or some thigs, in my country us love the partys.

Submitted by Naresh on Sat, 27/06/2020 - 11:21

So amazing to read about bonfire night, in india similar festival is celebrated every year. It's name is diwali. On festival night life-size model of ravan is burnt with fire. It's believed that ram came to his kingdom after fourteen years of exile and defeating ravan on that day. Happy to know this type of celebration is there in other places.

Submitted by Jas Mak on Wed, 24/06/2020 - 11:15

Hello everyone It was nice reading about different traditions from various countries. I live in India and we have a traditional festival in the name of Pongal. It's a festival about harvest.

Submitted by Min Htet Kaung Aung on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 15:59

Reading about different kinds of traditions from various parts of the world makes me pleased and broadens my horizon.Now I want to tell you about one of our festivals.My country is Myanmar, a country in southeast Asia.We have a lot of festivals throughout the year.Most of them are related with religion, Buddhism.Among them, I want to tell you about Thidinkyut Festival.It falls in October- month of Thidinkyut in Myanmar calendar.Long Long ago,at that time, Lord Buddha came back from Davatimsa, a celestial city, to the human world. During his returning journey, people donated oil-light to him.From that time onwards, buddhists celebrated this occation as a festival.Nowadays, people light up the wax-candles and oil in front of their houses and in the proximity of pagodas.We make various traditional snacks and share them to neighbours and donate to monastery.We pay homage to elder people and they, in return, pay back some snacks and money to us.It is a happy festival of our country.

Submitted by Ainash Gadekar on Mon, 22/06/2020 - 11:47

Hello everyone. I read about your traditions and it made me very excited to join you all in this discussion. My name is Avinash and I am from India and world knows India's favorite tradition is Diwali Festival. We buy new cloths, we make sweet dishes, follow some traditional processes. Diwali is a day actually on which lord Rama came back to his kingdom after 14 years. Every one on this day lights a lamp as a symbol of ending of darkness. We follow this tradition from that time. But as the time passes, the feelings behind the festival are same only ways have changed. Instead of traditional oil lamp, electric lights have taken place but for sure the joy, happiness, blessings, feelings, importance of this tradition has remained significant to everyone.

Submitted by Alaaseada on Sun, 21/06/2020 - 11:05

Reading the traditions of your countries is really interesting. I am from Egypt where people are so warm and friendly which make any tradition that include gathering very unique and remarkable. The tradition that I miss the most is Eid prayer. I can tell that Eid prayer in Egypt has a unique sensation that I have never experienced in other countries. The sound of prayer calls that starts before the sunrise and comes from all mosques, the numerous number of people who pray together and congratulate each other after the prayer as a one big family, the people who volunteer to buy toys, colorful balloons and sweets and hand them out to the children to make them feel the joy of Eid. All of these aspects make the Eid prayer a joyful tradition and occasion. For me, it is not only a religious celebration but also a social one that reminds us with the importance union and of spreading love and happiness.

Submitted by Hazard10 on Wed, 17/06/2020 - 09:30

it's so nice to learn all of your traditions, I learned many things As I read your comments I saw amazing things and different cultures