Booking a table

Listen to someone booking a table in a restaurant to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi. Can I book a table for tomorrow night, please?

Staff: How many people is it for?

Jamie: Four.

Staff: And what time would you like?

Jamie: About eight, eight thirty maybe?

Staff: Let's see ... We're pretty busy tomorrow, so I can do half past seven or nine.

Jamie: Oh. OK, then. Half seven, please.

Staff: What name is it?

Jamie: Jamie.

Staff: J-A- ...?

Jamie: M-I-E

Staff: OK, so that's a table for four at half past seven tomorrow evening.

Jamie: Great. Thanks! Bye.

Staff: Bye.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi, I called earlier to book a table for four and I was wondering if I can make it for six instead?

Staff: Ah, what name was it?

Jamie: It's Jamie.

Staff: Table for four at half past seven. So you want to change it to 6 o'clock?

Jamie: No, sorry. Can I make it for six people?

Staff: Oh, I see. Sorry! That shouldn't be a problem. I can move you to a bigger table but it will be nearer the kitchen. Is that OK?

Jamie: No problem. Is it possible to change the time as well? Make it a little bit later?

Staff: Ah ... yeah, we can. Is eight OK for you?

Jamie: Perfect, thanks!

Staff: Lovely. See you tomorrow, then.

Jamie: Thanks! Bye!

Staff: Thanks. Ciao!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by eduagrgu on Thu, 05/11/2020 - 14:22

My favorite kind of restaurant is the Mediterranean restaurant. I love the food that kind of restaurant prepares.!

Submitted by ziza on Tue, 03/11/2020 - 04:35

Indian restaurant always win

Submitted by Kaique Machado on Mon, 02/11/2020 - 23:36

My favorite kind of restaurant is barbecue Restaurant, i love that kinda of restaurant

Submitted by Miguel Angel G… on Tue, 27/10/2020 - 04:08

My favourite kind of restaurant is a Cevicheria. If you haven't been in Peru before that may not sound familiar for you. This restaurants are called cevicherias because the main dish is Ceviche which is one of the most representative Peruvian dishes and everyone who have visited Peru have tried it. This dish is made with raw fish, lemon juice, salt, onions, sweet potato, Peruvian corn and chilies. I love it!!!

Submitted by Claudia2021 on Sun, 25/10/2020 - 16:09

I love japones food!

Submitted by pabloxje on Sun, 25/10/2020 - 02:13

I love chinesse food!

Submitted by menna emad on Tue, 20/10/2020 - 16:13

Actually it depends on my mood. sometimes i prefer sea food, sometimes fast food. but i haven't tried Asian food, i wish i could try it soon :)

Submitted by Victor Hugo Fl… on Fri, 16/10/2020 - 22:30

my favorite type of restaurant is Mexican food, I like it very much

Submitted by Ugulhan on Wed, 14/10/2020 - 08:37

I love to go to an oriental restaurant, where preparing exotic, delicious dishes. Like Indish restaurant or Uzbekish restaurant, they can offer to guests an incredible dish menu. I would like to order all dishes in menu. I am a die-hard fan of oriental culture and dish.

Submitted by Nurieta on Tue, 13/10/2020 - 15:32

My favourite restaurant is an Indian restaurant. I love Indian food

Submitted by Sarab85 on Mon, 12/10/2020 - 10:35

I love Turkish foods

Submitted by fais_4al on Wed, 07/10/2020 - 15:52

well, one of my favorite are sea food and indian's , western food . i also would like to try italian sometimes i think that i would test every delicious dishes from every country

Submitted by Pola on Sat, 03/10/2020 - 18:33

I am loving the italian restaurant that they're pioneers in making the pizzas and pastas, when I eat some pizza who are they makeing by their hands it is very delicious it really their careers into a secret recipe in doing pizzas and pastas
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Fri, 02/10/2020 - 15:24

Today I had a lunch at a classic coffee restaurant and had sermon cream and the sliced cucumber sandwiches. That was really good. :)

Submitted by cielo on Fri, 02/10/2020 - 14:35

I love sushi restaurant. And I love Italian restaurant, too.

Submitted by huynhtrongvinh789 on Tue, 22/09/2020 - 02:52

I really love vegetarian restaurants even after I aslo eat meat more.

Submitted by Roblox on Thu, 17/09/2020 - 03:17

My favorite restaurant is an Asian restaurant. I like spicy and tasty food. Chicken fried rice and sweet and sour chicken are my favorite.

Submitted by Jeffthebetter on Thu, 10/09/2020 - 14:04

My favourite kind of restaurant is the coffee shop.

Submitted by abdalkreem seaf on Fri, 04/09/2020 - 19:49

I lik delivery food and traditional restaurants and seafood

Submitted by Carlos Cabrera on Fri, 04/09/2020 - 00:21

I lovely all food, but I prefer seafood a Chinese food... That's delicious

Submitted by Maria19 on Thu, 03/09/2020 - 10:27

I do not have a very favourite restaurant because I like a variety of food and restaurants to visit. But in the frequent places I visit most often, it's restaurants with Chinese, Georgian, Greek and Italian food.

Submitted by Fathima Fathha on Thu, 27/08/2020 - 17:56

I really love seafood restaurant

Submitted by ESPERANZA MARINO on Thu, 27/08/2020 - 17:29

My favourite kind of restaurant is at Colombian food.

Submitted by Rahmiyaniash on Wed, 26/08/2020 - 03:12

I really love seafood restaurant

Submitted by tubomiubeo on Thu, 20/08/2020 - 08:19

I've done this test

Submitted by ErichPD on Fri, 07/08/2020 - 00:08

My favourite kind of restaurant is the Tradicional Chilean Food. Its delicious for me. I love seafood like a ceviche, machas a la parmesana and locos.

Submitted by MammadovAnar on Tue, 04/08/2020 - 17:45

Well, To be honest, I do not have any favorite restaurants. Because I usually go to different restaurants. I do not go to the same restaurant many times. Instead, I prefer to discover new places, new meals and so on.

Submitted by Phan Bao Dung on Sat, 25/07/2020 - 19:21

I like buffet restaurants, especially seafood buffet. I can eat until I am satisfied with a lot of delicious dishes here like grilled lobster, grilled octopus, steamed shrimp, steamed crab...and so on.

Submitted by I am on Tue, 21/07/2020 - 20:17

I like cozy restaurant with delicious food and smooth music, where each can relaxing and chatting with friends.

Submitted by BIraqi on Mon, 20/07/2020 - 13:22

Hello, I like Iraqi food such as kebab, rice. But when i travel i favorite eat food the country that i travel to it. nowadays, often of people does not going to any restaurant because corona vaurose

Submitted by Miri85 on Sun, 19/07/2020 - 15:10

I love Italian and Spanish food but I usually don´t eat at restaurants. But I like eat Spanish food when I travel there and sometimes I cook at home both Spanish and Italian food.

Submitted by syah on Sat, 18/07/2020 - 13:46

I think I don't have favourite one, because I rarely go to restaurant. Beside that, I like Indonesian food, especially sambal. I can eat only with rice and sambal. It's really delicious. Oh, I also like steak. Sometimes I go to steak restaurant with my family.

Submitted by U Kyaw on Tue, 14/07/2020 - 13:24

Hay, I can't learn why?Last few days,I was studying and listening to audio files.But now,I can't do it.Give me instructions.I want to learn here.I don't understand what is happening.

Hello U Kyaw,

Thanks for telling us, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience. We are working on a solution and the audio should be working soon.

Best wishes,

Submitted by Dastenova Firuza on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 14:55

I would like restaurants with helathy food and romantic music.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 14:22

Nowadays, I saw a group of people in a restaurant sitting at the same table with clear acrylic plexiglass shields. Somewhat weird...

Submitted by sara1412 on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 09:53

i like Indian food

Submitted by 7Elhoussaine A. on Fri, 03/07/2020 - 14:59

I don't like the food of the restaurant, I like home eating (:

Submitted by fatfat on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 22:01

I like Italian and Turkish food.
Profile picture for user A Yar Kyaw

Submitted by A Yar Kyaw on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 02:16

hello guys,i 'm Ayar from myanmar.i like thailand food and myanmar food.but sometimes eat pizza,barker. especially i like myanmar food 'mot hyin khar' which is at the side-walk shop in myanmar.this is very deliciou and yammy.
Profile picture for user EWS

Submitted by EWS on Tue, 30/06/2020 - 18:00

I don't have a favourite restaurant, I like foods for many countries
Profile picture for user Onur

Submitted by Onur on Mon, 29/06/2020 - 20:54

I am fond of Turkish cuisine. Therefore, I love the restaurants that serve Turkish traditional dishes such as kebab, döner etc.

Submitted by Helio Sigauque on Mon, 29/06/2020 - 00:33

How do I do to download these audios?

Helo Helio Sigauque,

I'm afraid the audio is not available for download on this page.

Profile picture for user Karan Narang

Submitted by Karan Narang on Fri, 26/06/2020 - 04:22

I liked to give this leasning test but when I heard the sentence of Audio I was confused that is "can I make 6 people fix it" could you help me about this sentence.

Hello Karan Narang,

The sentence is a little different. What Jamie says is this:

The phrases for four and for six refer to the number of people who will be coming - now there will be six people instead of four.

If you click on 'Transcript' then you'll see the whole text of the recording.