Holiday home adverts

Read two adverts for places to stay on holiday to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text

City flat

Beautiful two-bedroom city flat five minutes' walk from the cathedral. Fully equipped kitchen, living room with a large sofa and chairs, big TV and balcony. The balcony has space for four people to sit and gets the sun in the mornings, and the flat is light and warm. It has Wi-Fi and fast internet. The upstairs bedroom sleeps four people, with two double beds; the downstairs bedroom sleeps two in single beds. The flat is perfect for families and is near shops, bars and restaurants.

Farmhouse

Four-bedroom farmhouse in the countryside. All of the four double bedrooms are en suite with luxury shower and bath. Farm kitchen with barbecue, tables and chairs outside. Great for groups of friends. The supermarket is half an hour by car and you can take a train from the village into the city. Escape from normal life for a few days as we have … NO INTERNET and you can only use mobile phones at the bottom of the garden!

Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

Submitted by habibao.medo on Sat, 03/10/2020 - 14:43

i would like to go to something like the flat because of the wi-fi but i would like to go to the farmhouse with my friends i think it will be amazing

Submitted by Asni on Wed, 16/09/2020 - 22:06

For a holiday, I'd choose a house in the countryside and near the sea where I can enjoy nature with my family.

Submitted by Pola on Wed, 09/09/2020 - 20:25

I would like choose a holiday at farmhouse.
Profile picture for user shelly

Submitted by shelly on Tue, 08/09/2020 - 10:31

I would like to choose my holiday in the countryside near sea with my family. Every morning we can enjoy the first sunlight, maybe in the evening we can take a shor walk on the beach. Living in the monotonous city everyday, I really need to escape from air pollution and noise, and put the mobile phone aside for a week. Thinking nothing for a while will be a good way to improve our physical and mental health. Also, the house needs to be suitable, with all facilities in case we want to cook some healthy food and play some small games.

Submitted by sonjoy on Sun, 06/09/2020 - 11:38

Actually, i prefer the place which one is come and quite and far away from city life,yes it is countryside. I think we visit different places for getting relaxation and finding trouble free life, in that sense farmhouse will be one of the best place for enjoying my wonderful holidays.According to passage, as there is no internet in Farmhouse so we can utilize our stunning time with gossiping and playing games.This is good sign to close to each other and nature.

Submitted by Faheem Khan on Tue, 18/08/2020 - 13:10

i would like to choose farmhouse because our family is large. so we can takes ourself easy

Submitted by Maria19 on Mon, 03/08/2020 - 21:49

I would choose a farmhouse. My family and I prefer pastoral, quiet and relaxed places to hear the birds chirping and see the nature around us.
Profile picture for user sribashu30

Submitted by sribashu30 on Tue, 28/07/2020 - 03:06

I would like to know the correct answer: 1)Lisa is an actor and a writer. 2)Lisa is an actor and writer. In my opinion no 2 is correct as only one article (here- a) is applicable in case of same one person. I case of no 2,I think here two indefinite articles are wrongly used to refer two persons whereas only one person is there. Help me please to know the correct answer.

Hello sribashu30,

Both are correct.

You asked the same, or a very similar, question on another page (here) and I explained there the reason. Please post questions once only as multiple postings only slow the process down.

Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Tue, 21/07/2020 - 12:32

Holidays during COVID-19? We have a lot of options and fly to anywhere around the world on virtual reality. ;)
Profile picture for user Berny Herrera

Submitted by Berny Herrera on Tue, 21/07/2020 - 03:54

Personally, I think that it depends on the people and the place they have lived whole their life. I mean, A person that has lived all his life in a city, definitely would prefer to take a vacation in the countryside and vice-versa.

Submitted by fatfat on Sat, 11/07/2020 - 12:59

Both houses have pros and cons. I would prefer to living at house in the city but I d prefer to for holiday the other house.

Submitted by Ronake on Tue, 30/06/2020 - 00:45

I definitely would choose the house in the countryside. Enjoying nature, fresh air and eat healthy food is the best way to spend your holiday. Escaping from air pollution and noise, and making skip the internet and social media for a week, will be a good way to improve our physical and mental health. Also, the house seems to be suitable, with all facilities that you need to prepare meals and to have fun.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 12:21

I would prefer a countryside house of course but my two kids drive me crazy without youtube and TV

Submitted by haydeecolli on Fri, 12/06/2020 - 21:13

I prefer the flat because it's near the city.

Submitted by Leonardo Lisboa on Sat, 06/06/2020 - 00:30

The flat, of course.
Profile picture for user Onur

Submitted by Onur on Thu, 04/06/2020 - 13:20

Due to living at flat in the city, I would choose farmhouse for holiday. It's absolutely good for getaway.

Submitted by eshan.saif on Wed, 03/06/2020 - 16:50

I will prefer the farmhouse to spend few days for staying away from my monotonous city life. Where i will be able to be closer to the nature and share my inner feelings with my loving ones.

Submitted by Shaista on Tue, 02/06/2020 - 10:34

I'd like ti spend my holidays in village having all benefits.......so i can relax there far away from city and that's noise etc......where i don't want to use mobile....just wish to spend these holidays with my family with relaxation ❤

Submitted by Thucuoi on Wed, 27/05/2020 - 10:07

i prefer a city flat to a farmhouse for my holidays because I love the luxury and modernity.

Submitted by casssioesousa on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 19:59

I'd like to rent a beautiful home holiday in the beach at the place that have sun, where I could enjoy it.

Submitted by mouna99 on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 16:47

I wouldn choose farmhouse for holidays

Submitted by Nyanko Neko on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 14:48

I prefer Farmhouse to Flat city because i love graden, flowers ... I like staying near the nature , so i can cook barbecue , chatting with my family and friends at the garden. The atmosphere is so good

Submitted by Muhammad Bagir on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 04:32

i prefer to spend my holiday at the farmhouse

Submitted by c.lopes23 on Fri, 15/05/2020 - 01:12

I prefer the farmhouse, because I like staying near the nature.

Submitted by BOU Hamid on Sun, 10/05/2020 - 01:12

I choose a flat city for my holiday.

Submitted by Raimbek on Thu, 07/05/2020 - 11:04

I prefer farmhouse, because it's quiet place and yes i live in the city.

Submitted by Alfaprime on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 16:35

I prefer bouth, maybe farmhouse in summer and the flat in autmn or winter when is the Christmas time.

Submitted by Djoo on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 05:09

I don't like living in city. So in a holiday i would choose a farmhouse away from noise and crowding

Submitted by Ronake on Sun, 19/04/2020 - 23:27

i would love to chose farmhouse, because in countryside you really can rest and enjoy the holidays. There are fresh air, healthy food, nature, cerenty away from crowd and traffic and you can stay at the garden and have barbeque.

Submitted by Yernar on Thu, 16/04/2020 - 10:57

Hello, I think these both places has their individual features. If you own them all you can spend sometime in the flat then in the farmplaces. Are you agree with me?

Submitted by Melsaied264 on Sat, 11/04/2020 - 02:10

Actually I prefer to spend my holidays in the countryside rather than the city, because there in the countryside the life is quiet and I can not find traffic or crowds ,the air is fresh an healthy,the best thing I love there is the sunset time ,I really enjoy there.But as the countryside is my favourite place there are some things bother me such as the weakness of the internet and the absence of some services I may need it daily like supermarkets,hospitals and education centers

Submitted by FRANCY JACQUEL… on Mon, 06/04/2020 - 22:42

I know new people now that I travel to Malta and I am studying English

Submitted by FRANCY JACQUEL… on Mon, 06/04/2020 - 21:39

I would choose a place on the beach, or a place in the mountains, away from the city and noise
Profile picture for user zabiullah

Submitted by zabiullah on Mon, 06/04/2020 - 06:37

frankly i would select farmhouse for holidays...bxz it is perfect no one cant annoyed us as well as we can find natural foods, drinks and nature. when i was little boy all my family lived in the countryside i remeber good things in the village but when my parents moved to the city we have lost natural foods. after that we have not happy life...
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Sat, 28/03/2020 - 21:32

I would choose a city flat for holiday.

Submitted by Van Duc Nguyen on Wed, 18/03/2020 - 08:36

i'm choosing farmhouse because i'm found quiet, fresh air and nature

Submitted by upendarreddy on Sun, 15/03/2020 - 01:14

I prefer to visit farmhouse on holidays. currently, i am living in Canada so i often spend at farmhouse in the summer time on holidays because i work everyday during weekdays in the city. i feel like tired so i want to go to outside for relaxation.I used to live in india, we have a big farm i spent at my farm on weekends and holidays with my family, friends, and relatives.
Profile picture for user Sergei Baskakov

Submitted by Sergei Baskakov on Sat, 07/03/2020 - 12:11

I'm choosing the farmhouse because I'm fond of the fresh air and nature

Submitted by pacha809 on Tue, 03/03/2020 - 09:33

I want advertise you too my flat close to the North Sea. It's a little flat for four people. the bedrooms sleep four people with two double beds.One bathroom with a shower. The fully equipped kitchen is open to the living room with TV and WI-FI. The large balcony has space for four people to take meals or enjoy the sun. You can park your car in the garage downstairs. This flat is perfect for a family with two kids. It's located 300 m from the beach, shops, bars and restaurants. In summer, on the sea wall, or in town there are many activities for adults and kids.

Submitted by Alaa Basha on Thu, 13/02/2020 - 08:45

I wouldn't mind going both. I don't used to have such a trip for a holiday, however, I need to go to a one with my family.
Profile picture for user Hajer sea

Submitted by Hajer sea on Mon, 03/02/2020 - 12:06

Hi, I think I choose the farmhouse because I need to relaxing and stay away from the noise.
Profile picture for user Optimist

Submitted by Optimist on Sun, 12/01/2020 - 09:42

Farmhouse but with internet )))

Submitted by serena lee on Fri, 10/01/2020 - 14:50

we usually stay at the village on vacations. I often choose farmer house which has table outside, private restroom, and especially full equipments.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Wed, 25/12/2019 - 13:49

I live in a large city but my father and my mother were born in a small beautiful village in the countryside. I usually go to this village for the holidays.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Mon, 23/12/2019 - 16:30

I choose the countryside house to stay for my vacation , I meant the farmhouse. because I like the quit places and like also the open areas and the green area too.

Submitted by frfandinod79 on Thu, 28/11/2019 - 16:13

I would like the farmhouse, because it is a relax place full of nature where we can rest.

Submitted by Marcos Lozano on Sat, 23/11/2019 - 14:41

When I was young, I usually went to holidays to my town, in the province of Badajoz. For me, the more great years of my life.