At the chemist

Listen to a conversation at a chemist's to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Chemist: Hello, can I help?

Customer: Yes, my wife sent me here. I, erm, need something for a sore throat … and I can't stop coughing. It really hurts.

Chemist: Do you have a headache too?

Customer: Not really, no.

Chemist: Well, we have this syrup. And these lozenges.

Customer: Which is better?

Chemist: They're both good. The syrup is more expensive.

Customer: Oh, well … I'll take the lozenges, then. How many do I take?

Chemist: Just one.

Customer: Sorry, I'm sorry. Er, how often should I take it?

Chemist: Just one every four to six hours. Take it before mealtimes. Are you allergic to any medicine?

Customer: No.

Chemist: Then you'll be fine with this.

Customer: Can I get some antibiotics too?

Chemist: I'm afraid you need a prescription for that.

Customer: Ah.

Chemist: You know, you should really see a doctor if that cough continues.

Customer: Thanks. I know.

Chemist: Anything else?

Customer: No, thanks.

Chemist: That'll be £7.49 then, please.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by Faris.E on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 07:22

I get cold in the winter, when I get cold I put on a jacket

Submitted by VildaArvid on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 07:22

I'm getting a cold one time a year. My tip it's just relax and wait it out. That's how I do it.

Submitted by FilipArnkil on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 07:21

I often get a cold in the winter but it often goes away pretty fast when I just relax at home.

Submitted by villiam on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 07:20

ones every Autumn or so

Submitted by gabpau1219 on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 07:20

I get a cold or cough maybe 1-2 times a year, but it's not that bad because i'm just home, watching movies and playing Playstation.

Submitted by AryanEld on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 07:20

Not often, maybe in the winter time.

Submitted by Abdikarim123 on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 07:20

I dont get cold or get coughs that much but, lemon and tea maybe should help. I think ginger also helps.

Submitted by Axel on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 07:19

I don't get sick so often but when I do I just drink some tee and watch some videos.

Submitted by Rumeysa on Mon, 07/09/2020 - 13:16

In winter, I mostly get cough after the long flu. Most of the time, I avoid use medicine. Instead of that, I try to use natural things that my older family members know. For example, grape molasses is solution to it. I hate to cough in public places because I have to keep going school. And when I have continuous cough, I kind a feel uncomfortable during the lecture.

Submitted by mcambindo22 on Wed, 02/09/2020 - 23:43

Frequently I don't get a cough or cold so I have a very well defences or inmune system stronger. When you feel some flue symptons there are different homemade remedies such as drinking honey with orange juice or drinking juice with guayaba, oranges, onions and honey because its has good amount of vitamin C. However if the symptons are constantly is better going to the doctor.

Submitted by Rinaa on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 23:30

First, I tried to boost my immune system by taking enough vitamins from fruits and vegetables, I prefer to drink smoothies with berries and lemons. Rarely I get a cold or flu, and when I have it I try to manage in my own with paracetamol and much fluids, without taking antibiotics. For me antibiotics are my last remedies, they make our immune system weaker.

Submitted by Asni on Fri, 14/08/2020 - 00:44

A few times a year. But, when I get a cold it lasts one to two weeks. I recommend to rest, take vitamin C, drink a lot of water and infusions. For me, medicines are my last remedies. I try to avoid them as much as I can.

Submitted by Tamires Cristi… on Sun, 02/08/2020 - 09:49

I rarely get sick, sometimes I just get a cold. Tamires Cristina de Lima
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Thu, 30/07/2020 - 11:55

Unfortunately, I get a cold every year. It's hard to avoid that in our climate. We have quite cold autumn - November, first of all, with its rains, winds, and even early snow. Our winters are often changeable. Today it can be cold and snowy, but tomorrow the sun is shining and all the snow becomes slush. As a result, your feet are wet and you meet a cold. I frequently have a rheum in winter so my pockets full of paper napkins and lozenges for sore throat. That's why I love summer so much and hate our autumn, winter, and even spring with its "April weather".

Submitted by IKEDA on Tue, 28/07/2020 - 15:03

I have a cold about twice a year. I get sick easily when the season changes. On the other hand, I rarely have flu. I think that it's better to have enough meals, take some medicine, and sleep well to recover from cold.
Profile picture for user Fredd

Submitted by Fredd on Thu, 23/07/2020 - 17:44

When I get sick I really suffer. I don´t usually go with a doctor because I prefer to use syrup instead lozenges.

Submitted by Hn0062 on Mon, 20/07/2020 - 20:41

I rarely get a cough or a cold, but despite that I have a cold, I don't like to go to the doctor, because I wouldn't like to eat medicines not at all. When I suffer of cough or headache and feeling dizzy, I have to go to doctor and I aske from them prescribed an ampoule or more than one. Personally, I think we can cure for it ourselves by some fruits like lemmon, orange and hot water. Additionally, you can rest at the home.

Submitted by martin olivares on Sat, 11/07/2020 - 05:42

I often go to a pharmacy to buy some pills or something! But I have a cousin who's a doctor and he's always telling me that I can't self-medicate because that can give me more problems. When I was a kid I spent a lot of days in the hospital because I couldn't breathe.

Submitted by senes19 on Fri, 10/07/2020 - 10:58

Generally I have seldom a cough luckily. Always I'm careful to not do go around when I sweat. And also we should pay attention that we are not in the side effects of staying between two opened windows. If we eat ice cream or drink a milk, absolutely we should drink a water.

Submitted by Miho Watanabe on Mon, 06/07/2020 - 07:25

I get a cough or a cold once or two times a year, so I'm almost always fine. And I eat healthy foods, exercise a little, and sleep 7~8 hours every day to keep my physical condition. So if you don't want to get a cold, I recommend you to live a healthy and good life.

Submitted by wahbi baklouti on Thu, 02/07/2020 - 21:03

I'm lucky that rare when I get sick and get a cough or a cold. most likely due to the weather in my country.

Submitted by Sharif Tayyebi on Thu, 02/07/2020 - 08:17

When I was a child, I usually had sore throat every summer time, and sometimes I experienced cough and cold every fall and winter. But I hadn't taken any medicine for that until I came to university. I usually ate onions for sore throat and got hot water for cough. Even if I had could, I usually preferred to take traditional medicines which was very helpful. After I came to university I couldn't find traditional medicines, so I had to take tablets or even sometimes I had to see a doctor and took medicines which he/she prescribed me. Now, I usually get sore throat in the summer or could and cough in the spring or fall. I usually take paracetamol, but sometimes I should see a doctor. I think we should avoid from taking medicines if it is possible. I hope your healthy for ever. Thanks, Tayyebi

Submitted by Nagato on Fri, 22/05/2020 - 17:27

This year I spent the winter in the desert the wether there is warm so i never got a cough or a sore throat , as specialist in this area I want to give an advice to every one have a cough or any illness that he should see a doctor and dont use the self medicine.

Submitted by Austin on Mon, 18/05/2020 - 06:09

I often get flu at least once in a year, especially in winter or raining season, normally I had some symptoms about cough, fever, runny nose, thus, I will take sick leave to rest more in-home and drink as much as water I can, keep myself warm, drink vitamin c, but if the cough and fever continue I will see a doctor, so this way I can overcome the flu.

Submitted by Massimo on Fri, 08/05/2020 - 08:16

Good morning, I usually get a sore throat when I sweat in the wind, it happened about once a year. But I’ve finally learned this thing and so I can just avoid it. It’s important for me swimming in the sea during the winter, cold water helps me to be better.
Profile picture for user dinhhang

Submitted by dinhhang on Fri, 08/05/2020 - 07:43

I often get flu as least once a year. I usually go to sleep early and drink a lot of water. I like to eat hot soup with ginger and pepper or chilly since it makes me sweat a lot then I feet better. And I also drink vitamin C, or drink orange juice. this way I can overcome the flu.

Submitted by BlaiChan on Thu, 07/05/2020 - 10:04

I often get a cough or a cold especially in the raining and winter season. I always put a great care in myself in either of those seasons. When I go outside I bundle up to keep body warmly, even stay home though. I drink tea with ginger , take soup and have fresh fruits. If the couch continues I go to see a doctor.
Profile picture for user rerre

Submitted by rerre on Sat, 02/05/2020 - 01:34

I used to have a terrible cough when I had sinus crisis. Homeopathy cured me.

Submitted by Gabriel Rojas Esté on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 16:24

Thank god I am quite healthy. So, I can’t remember when I got the last cough or cold. Maybe two years ago? If you got a cough or a cold I recommend you relief the pain whit an herbal tea, go to the nearest pharmacy and get syrup or lozenges. If the pain doesn’t stop you should go to a Doctor.

Submitted by teya10 on Mon, 27/04/2020 - 19:12

this year i had cold three time, to relieve myself i took a verbena tea and i ate oranges because it contains vitamine c and i took some aspirin wich is an anti-inflammatory because i had fever and headache

Submitted by Ahmed shady on Tue, 21/04/2020 - 19:59

i usually have a cold and flow in the winter season ..
Profile picture for user JuanManuelLopezGil

Submitted by JuanManuelLopezGil on Tue, 21/04/2020 - 00:49

Two times per year: in April and November, usually.
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Fri, 17/04/2020 - 21:38

Not often. I recommend victims to see a doctor.

Submitted by Daudau0601 on Thu, 16/04/2020 - 04:45

i often have a score throat and cough. Actually, i'm having a score throat. It's so uncomfortable. But i don't drink medicine or syro, i hate it hihi

Submitted by micaela on Sun, 12/04/2020 - 02:58

Hello. I'm an allergic person, the symptoms of allergy are similiar to a cough or cold, so I can´t notice which one is which one. I have twice allergies per month. To avoid cough or cold I recommend you to eat citric food, such as orange, lemon, tomato, etc.

Submitted by Stela Stoycheva on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 13:27

I have flu... often :/ Even just before 1 week I was sick...and I was isolate at home, like prevention. I try to drink a lot of fluids, squееze lemon and drink, I try to drink tea with ginger, honey and lemont...but not too hot. I use syrup when I have gough, lozengets because I have and sore throat and nose drops, more vitamins, if I don`t have vitamins I eat many fruts and make different salad at home :)

Submitted by conejo on Mon, 06/04/2020 - 03:36

I am a very healthy Woman, but if I get a cough or a cold, if I feel really bad I might need go to the hospital. Then I try to take care of myself and eat healthy food every Day and do some exercise.

Submitted by César Árraga on Sun, 05/04/2020 - 01:26

To be honest I got a cold the last week due to change of seasons (summer to autumn). I went to chemist, next he gave me a pair of tablets and then I came back home immediately because of the lockdown on throughout the country.
Profile picture for user Nikolaos Stavrianakis

Submitted by Nikolaos Stavr… on Sun, 22/03/2020 - 10:17

Hi!! I don't get a cold or a cough very often. Anyway, if I have a cough or if I get a cold I drink green tea and buy from the chemist a box of lozenges or a syrup. Sometimes it's possible to have a fiver and a really bad headache then I have to see a doctor. I can't get antibiotics without a prescription. Finally at this time because of the situation of coronavirus everybody with cough and fever or a sore throat may have to self-isolate, again to reduce the spread of the coronavirus and call a doctor. Nikolaos

Submitted by Crunch01 on Mon, 09/03/2020 - 11:53

I live in Jura Mountain, and the snow is too cold. I am not often sick because it is very dry. If you wear hot clothes and you eat good foods to our region ( cheese, meal) you are never sick.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Wed, 26/02/2020 - 14:29

I haven't suffered a cold this year but occasionally cough. Currently, traditional medicine has progressed in the universities of Iran, and when I sick, use some medicinal plants.
Profile picture for user Smiley1

Submitted by Smiley1 on Thu, 13/02/2020 - 14:00

I usually get a cold every year. But strangely enough, I haven't got a cold yet since I take a sauna regularly.

Submitted by pacha809 on Thu, 13/02/2020 - 09:19

Every year in winter, I have sinusitis. It is chronic sinusitis. So I have headaches and a stuffy nose, especially at night. And so I have very bad nights for about 8 to 10 days. Only antibiotics can relieve me.
Profile picture for user mehrazin

Submitted by mehrazin on Sun, 02/02/2020 - 17:25

How often do you get a cough or a cold? What do you recommend? fortunately i have seldom got a cold or a cough, but iv got a cold 3 month ago. I recommend the consumption of the natural vitamin c , strongly. I myself drink the mix of orange and kiwi juice . 4 glasses a day when I feel getting a cold. one of the other useful prescription for you is eating the steamed pomegranate and the steamed turnip, never forget to consume lemon and garlic as the so helpful in order to treat in time , it makes you revive and you see how you are energetic again ,then the symptoms of disease disappeared .as possible as you can you should avoid to consume chemical medication and antibiotic . they just make your immune system weak.

Submitted by JuanVillegas on Sat, 25/01/2020 - 14:19

In very rarely I have a cough or cold, usually I eat very well and take multivitamins, but in order to prevent this type of symptoms I drink a lot of orange juice.

Submitted by vidialzara on Wed, 22/01/2020 - 12:05

I don't know why but I usually get a cough during an exam. It disturbing me and makes me can't concentrate. I usually drink warm water with lime juice, honey, and cinnamon powder in it. It pretty much helping me to relieve the cough.
Profile picture for user Dieudonné

Submitted by Dieudonné on Sat, 28/12/2019 - 10:42

I have a gastric reflux since august 2018 and so far I still have a reflux in the morning. because of of the acidity it really hurts, particularly my throat and tongue. I am tired with taking medicines. I can confirm that I loose the taste.
Profile picture for user Mohamad-Altaha

Submitted by Mohamad-Altaha on Wed, 25/12/2019 - 19:32

I always catch a cold once a year in January, I do not use any chemical medicine, only lemon