At the chemist

Listen to a conversation at a chemist's to practise and improve your listening skills.

Instructions

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Chemist: Hello, can I help?

Customer: Yes, my wife sent me here. I, erm, need something for a sore throat … and I can't stop coughing. It really hurts.

Chemist: Do you have a headache too?

Customer: Not really, no.

Chemist: Well, we have this syrup. And these lozenges.

Customer: Which is better?

Chemist: They're both good. The syrup is more expensive.

Customer: Oh, well … I'll take the lozenges, then. How many do I take?

Chemist: Just one.

Customer: Sorry, I'm sorry. Er, how often should I take it?

Chemist: Just one every four to six hours. Take it before mealtimes. Are you allergic to any medicine?

Customer: No.

Chemist: Then you'll be fine with this.

Customer: Can I get some antibiotics too?

Chemist: I'm afraid you need a prescription for that.

Customer: Ah.

Chemist: You know, you should really see a doctor if that cough continues.

Customer: Thanks. I know.

Chemist: Anything else?

Customer: No, thanks.

Chemist: That'll be £7.49 then, please.

Average: 4.1 (19 votes)
Profile picture for user danisep

Submitted by danisep on Mon, 14/09/2020 - 03:13

I think that once a year I'd could get a cold, for changes in weather, when arrive cold and rainy days, usually when I feel sore throat and some cough, I take flew lozenges and drink a lot water to avoid get flu. and now I know that is good to treat the flu taking vitamin c.

Submitted by viclin0709 on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 11:32

I dont get sick very often because I take care of myself and my health. I take good care of my health and I take responsibility to not get sick like using warm clothes outside. I recommend staying home if youre sick and it is very important to sleep and eat.

Submitted by ivarhasse on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 11:30

I get a cold once a year and i recommend you to put on clothes so u dont get cold.

Submitted by Linus Farinder on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 11:28

I offen no get it but I get mor offen i winter times .

Submitted by RedTube on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 11:26

I dont get sick very often but when i get sick i really get sick like i almost dies

Submitted by bra eller on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 11:26

Lika one time at year

Submitted by Mr.handsome on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 11:25

I get a cold every winter and there is nothing i can do to stop it.

Submitted by kelb on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 11:24

I rarely get any colds, therefore I recommend seeing a doctor, since I can't really give you any advice.

Submitted by D1N0 on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 07:41

I don't get sick very often. Im pretty good at taking care of my health. I wear warm clothes utside in the winter and I eat vitamines. Im just good at not getting sick

Submitted by Niklas27 on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 07:22

I get a cough after i get a cold. And i usually get a cold on the vinter.
Do you need to improve your English listening skills?