Meeting people at a dinner

Listen to introductions at a dinner party to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Charles: Hello, Julian.

Julian: Hello, Charles. How are you?

Charles: I'm fine. Fine. Julian, do you remember Alyssa?

Julian: No, I don't.

Charles: She's Ben's sister. Do you remember? We were all at Ben's wedding together.

Julian: Ah, yes, I do – in that old castle. Was it in January?

Charles: Yes, it was! Alyssa was there.

Alyssa: Hello. Nice to meet you ... again.

Julian: Hello, nice to meet you too, Alison.

Alyssa: I'm not Alison.

Julian: What?

Alyssa: My name isn't Alison. It's Alyssa.

Julian: I'm sorry. Nice to meet you, Alyssa.

Charles: Good. Would you like a drink?

Julian: Good idea.

Alyssa: Yes, please.

Charles: Here you are.

Alyssa and Julian: Thanks!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by May Sabai Phyu on Fri, 01/01/2021 - 15:07

I meet new people yesterday. I went to my friend's birthday party. There are so many people that I don't know.

Submitted by Luisalcaza on Wed, 30/12/2020 - 03:14

In my job I usually meet new people everyday, because I'm a doctor.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Mon, 28/12/2020 - 05:35

Often, I meet new people in a month. I talk to people about their job, behaviour and other things. This is occurs because I like to meet new people. Still I am a university student so I meet new freshers.

Submitted by Tzar on Fri, 25/12/2020 - 11:00

I usually met new people once a month.I also met new people three days ago.They visited to my home.We talked about our jobs and problems.I like to meet them and my closed friends,too.l use to gather with my closed friends twice a week.But now we don't have a chance to meet because of Covid 19.

Submitted by Deyse Pinheiro… on Thu, 24/12/2020 - 18:06

Lately, I've not been meeting new people because of the pandemic.

Submitted by glen on Sun, 20/12/2020 - 20:35

I meet new people once in a blue moon as I don't usually attend to a social gathering.

Submitted by serena93 on Wed, 16/12/2020 - 20:35

I usually meet new people when I go out with friend in some pub, there are always new people that you can know and also I meet new people when I travel and always when I work

Submitted by Tatiana barrera on Tue, 15/12/2020 - 17:12

I usually know new people around my neighborhood, but this year I can't meet new people.

Submitted by Andycivita on Mon, 14/12/2020 - 17:35

Almost every week in the clubs or partys, or also in social medias, i love meet new people but is kinda difficult to me because i´m a little shy in the beggining.

Submitted by pabloxje on Wed, 09/12/2020 - 03:02

Well, it depends. At the moment, I think I don't know new people since March because of the pandemic.

Submitted by m.someah on Tue, 01/12/2020 - 14:46

I used to meet new people at parties or official meetings about twice a week.
Profile picture for user Sabir

Submitted by Sabir on Thu, 26/11/2020 - 16:20

I usually meet new people because I'm a baker also a computer engineering student, so I can meet new people at work or university.

Submitted by luongpq on Wed, 25/11/2020 - 04:08

I am new in the company so i meet new people everyday. But, I am not often talking with stranger. I like to talk with co-worker about work, and sometimes is sports.
Profile picture for user DJ Singh

Submitted by DJ Singh on Tue, 24/11/2020 - 07:31

Yes I do like meeting new people with similar interest

Submitted by Roya on Mon, 23/11/2020 - 06:20

I often meet my close friend once a week,but now cause of Covid-19 there is no any chance to meet new people or do the other good things.Personally I am studying english and watch movie or series these days and have some workout sometimes...

Submitted by AbdelmonemYounis on Sat, 21/11/2020 - 04:58

I met my friend two months ago

Submitted by Diallo on Wed, 18/11/2020 - 22:28

I met my friend twice a week.

Submitted by hasan.kumek on Wed, 18/11/2020 - 16:17

I met my classmates 2 months ago. I am a student, and there is covid 19, so I can't meet often new people.

Submitted by Nurieta on Wed, 18/11/2020 - 09:54

It´s really difficult to meet new people right now, but still we can use different social networks and don´t forget we are alive.

Submitted by Kaique Machado on Tue, 03/11/2020 - 00:27

That's depends, at the moment with the covid-19 it's difficult meet new people but I have met a really nice friend playing mobile Legends

Submitted by Pedro Javier on Mon, 02/11/2020 - 15:09

I don't know many people, maybe because I'm an older person and I don't go out much, also I work a lot and I'm married, for this reason one has the same routine with the same people and family, but actually I would like to go out, travel and know other cultures.

Submitted by Miti on Wed, 28/10/2020 - 17:50

This part have a wrong In task1 we have a ^do you know Alyssa ?^ but it isn’t in transcript

Hello Miti,

You are right, but we included 'Do you know Alyssa?' instead of 'Do you remember Alyssa?' because we thought it was more useful to know.

I'm sorry if this caused any confusion, and thanks for letting us know.

Hello Kirk! In my opinion, " Do you know Alyssa? " and "Do you remember Alyssa?". These are 2 different speaking ways. However they are same meanning. The purpose of the talk is to ask this person to know anther one or not. Is it correct ?

Hello Loan,

In this context, yes, they mean much the same thing, though I think one could argue that in general they have different meanings. If we know someone, it generally means we have met them and are familiar with them -- sometimes just a little and sometimes much more -- and all of this implies that we remember them. We can remember people that we know and also people that we don't, though usually we'd probably say that we know them.

Submitted by Carlos Cabrera on Thu, 22/10/2020 - 21:50

In my work knows many people, is very interesting each person has a history and are special. Knows people are great adventure, satisfaction and blessing.

Submitted by GhazalQadriRazvi on Mon, 19/10/2020 - 22:05

I don't meet new people more often but I like to meet new people with positive energies and good knowledge so I can learn something from them.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Mon, 19/10/2020 - 06:29

Often, I don't meet new people because covid-19 pandemic. I am a student so my mostly time spend in study.

Submitted by Zazil on Fri, 16/10/2020 - 22:48

In the last months I have not meet new people due to confinement.

Submitted by wiwin on Thu, 15/10/2020 - 13:05

in my previous job as a salesperson, I met a lot of clients

Submitted by Ugulhan on Thu, 15/10/2020 - 06:07

Overall, I haven't met new people, yet. Due to coronavirus stuff, I have been at home and done study things. Usually, I would like to meet and talk to new people at my workplace or even during the holiday.

Submitted by DEICY on Mon, 12/10/2020 - 14:25

Almost never, because I'm shy

Submitted by Moon Wathan on Thu, 08/10/2020 - 15:24

I often meet new people when I am in work. Most of the people is my pupil's parents because I am a teacher.

Submitted by Than Kutay Soe on Thu, 01/10/2020 - 15:48

I don't meet new people often because I works in a University. So, mostly I meet my friends, colleagues, and students. But sometimes when I visit to other departments, I meet new people.

Submitted by habibao.medo on Tue, 29/09/2020 - 18:50

i usually don't meet new people i don't know how to deal with new people

Submitted by marialuisa on Mon, 21/09/2020 - 13:59

I work at my home and usually I don't meet new people

Submitted by Pola on Sat, 12/09/2020 - 19:11

In fact, I meet new people everyday due to my job because I am working at sales marketing in the tourism field in Egypt and that make me friendly to my customers, though.

Submitted by Maria19 on Fri, 04/09/2020 - 10:45

I meet new people every day because of my job.

Submitted by Lysa on Fri, 04/09/2020 - 09:45

In the past, I used to meet new persons monthly at work and sometimes occasionally when attending conferences. However, due to the pandemic, practically I do not meet people to avoid the virus propagation.
Profile picture for user shelly

Submitted by shelly on Thu, 27/08/2020 - 04:42

As a sales person I meet new people in our factory or at some big conferences. Sometime I met new people in the gym, when we select the same exercise course maybe we could have the same interest and have the same topic to talk with.

Submitted by biso01 on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 10:58

usually i meet new people in my work due to its nature. its good thing to meet new people and speaking with them and i like it. it give new experience in life that you have to learn from them.

Submitted by MARIANO_HB on Tue, 11/08/2020 - 22:14

I seldom meet new people in my personal life. In my job I usually meet new people especially suppliers, they look for me seeking a new customer.
Profile picture for user Onur

Submitted by Onur on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 18:56

I quite often meet with new people due to my job. I work as a sales executive. Besides, I use a few apps in order to improve my English and they cause to meet with new people.

Submitted by Kaofeng on Sat, 08/08/2020 - 03:02

For me, I just meet new people from time to time, sometimes once a week. When I join a new team, I meet several team members who are also new to me. Every time I go to a party, I have a chance to meet some new people. When I become a new club member, I can also meet some new ones. We can get to know more from each other. I think that is very interesting. Life is full of new things and new people around us. Never ever stop dreaming. Always try to find new things and meet new people. Eeryone is something new in this world. Be glad of it.

Submitted by Phan Bao Dung on Tue, 28/07/2020 - 18:51

My current job makes me not a lot of opportunities to meet new people. I can meet a few new people in my English class or my office, even at the book stores.

Submitted by I am on Wed, 22/07/2020 - 19:33

Time to time. Usually I’ve meet new people when I’m traveling in another places. But in my work place I’m meeting a new persons too.