A text message invitation

Learn how to write a text message invitation to a friend.

Reading text
Sandra
online

Hey! Want to meet for a drink after work?

14:16

Cool, what time do you finish?

14:21

Late as always crying

14:22

Me too. Msg me when you leave

14:22

OK. Where do you want to go?

14:23

IDK. I might be hungry tho

14:24

Good point.

14:25

I'll think of somewhere to eat.

14:25

I know what you're like when you're hungry! wink

14:27

LOL, I'm not that bad!

14:31

Don't worry. We can meet at the bus stop and decide then.

14:31

yes See you later

14:32

Tips

1. You don't need to write complete sentences.
  2. You can use abbreviations like LOL (= laugh out loud) or IDK (= I don't know) to save time.
  3. Use emojis smiley to add feelings.
  4. You don't need to use full stops (.) at the end of messages.
Do you need to improve your English writing skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English writing skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

A1 English level (elementary)

Submitted by joselo on Wed, 30/09/2020 - 03:29

Usually, I prefer texting messages. Nowadays I can talk with many of my friends at the same time through social networks which is convenient to better plan with them where we would meet each other.

Submitted by Hyuka on Fri, 25/09/2020 - 15:21

Actually, I like to speak in person with my friends cuz it's gonna be fun cuz we see each other but when it comes to texting messanges I feel bored and don't wanna write some long sentences.So, I sometime talk to my friends by voice messages.

Submitted by Khin Myat Thwin on Tue, 15/09/2020 - 06:56

Normally, I prefer to discuss in person as I make a plan with my friends because we can make better decisions and we can agree or disagree decisively in person , if we do that via text messages on and off it's more likely to lead to misunderstanding between friends.

Submitted by Yonas Tesfamichael on Sun, 13/09/2020 - 14:09

I don't have the patience to wait for long by texting, but if not imp plane it's better to use texting.

Submitted by Lena on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 10:15

I do it both ways. But it's true that texting can be very useful to make plans. It saves time and money. Besides you don't have to be afraid of forgetting where and when you are to meet your friends (the texts are still there in your phone).
Profile picture for user anguiluciana

Submitted by anguiluciana on Wed, 09/09/2020 - 23:38

I prefer to send lots of text messages to make plans with my mates. And I usually use lots of emojis in my text messages. :)

Submitted by Hayatsalem on Mon, 31/08/2020 - 07:52

I prefer sending text messages just in case the time is inconvenient for them to talk on the phone.

Submitted by Haidar Maula on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 14:37

I have no problem with both options, whether it’s text messages or to speak to friends. I usually do text messages to plan some simple things like a place for dinner, go to the movies, and any other simple things. But when it comes to making serious plans, I prefer to speak directly.

Submitted by Matt18 on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 07:27

I would prefer to text my friends to meet them and I would like to have a cop of coffee with them in a cafe. Otherwise, they call me sometimes for a cop of tea or rarely for a meal ;)

Submitted by Waleed jan223 on Thu, 20/08/2020 - 17:53

Great I did Great job. I Prefer texting messages to friends Instead calling it saves money and time. And the internet is Available in every were.

Submitted by HeinHtetKyaw on Tue, 18/08/2020 - 14:47

I prefer to talk outside than a text Smg if important situation.

Submitted by soylemezali42 on Sat, 15/08/2020 - 15:39

I send lots of text messages to my friends to meet them somewhere. Sometimes, I prefer to speak to friends to make plans.

Submitted by Maria19 on Thu, 06/08/2020 - 15:57

Yes, I use a cell phone many hours a day, and prefer to send messages rather than call. For me it is more efficient in terms of time. With it, several tasks can be performed simultaneously.

Submitted by OlaFlower on Thu, 06/08/2020 - 06:41

I definitely prefer to send messages in most aspects of my life. Everybody agrees that it is more convenient and cheaper or even for free. But on the other hand making plans requires many arrangements and setting the details. For that reason a phone call may be an easier way to find out what your friend's preferences are and faster way to find a compromise.

Submitted by shironeiko on Wed, 05/08/2020 - 16:09

To a group of friends I like messaging in the group chat. It save lots of time and everyone can give their ideas. If I want to meet a friend, I will phone him/her to decide promptly
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Wed, 05/08/2020 - 13:51

I usually use emails more often than text messages....... As you see, I'm a bit a work-oriented person. ;)

Submitted by MammadovAnar on Tue, 04/08/2020 - 18:01

I usually prefer text messages when making a plan with my friends. It is easier and comfortable for me. You know, nowadays many people would rather prefer text messages than speaking like me. People usually use the app WhatsApp for it.

Submitted by Venus on Mon, 03/08/2020 - 06:53

As a Generation Z, it is needless to say that I used to send tons of messages and share a lot of memes on an everyday basis.

Submitted by Phan Bao Dung on Sun, 02/08/2020 - 18:55

I like to speak to friends than send messages to make plans. Because making plans need concentration, discussion, and final agreement. Direct speaking or making a phone call will save more time.

Submitted by AMANI148 on Sun, 02/08/2020 - 16:53

I usually send massage. I found this faster and easier to me and the other.

Submitted by Andrea Hernandez on Fri, 31/07/2020 - 19:21

Nowadays it's hard don't communicate through messages. We use Whatsapp all the time to communicate different things in a different context. However, sometimes I prefer to call my friends and speak more time. Also when something is very important I prefer to call.
Profile picture for user EWS

Submitted by EWS on Thu, 30/07/2020 - 20:37

I use both ways, for me doesn't matter which I used, important meet a friend

Submitted by Bieltan on Thu, 30/07/2020 - 12:15

Texting messages in 21st century affect almost everyone and every sphere of live and it decrease your personal time to make plans or arrange meeting with your friends. But by the way nothing can replace face-to-face conversation or meeting.

Submitted by Mai Khin Nway Shein on Sun, 26/07/2020 - 17:58

I made conversations with msg to distance friends and online friends.

Submitted by Nomanas on Sun, 26/07/2020 - 13:58

Hmmmm,lot of messages.

Submitted by Miri85 on Mon, 20/07/2020 - 12:31

I prefer send a message. It´s easier when you are at work and need make plans with your friends.

Submitted by Abassomooyedele on Sun, 19/07/2020 - 04:58

I wouldn't say I prefer one to the other. I'd rather say it depends on a lot things. If I know the person to be a liar, I'll choose to text him. That way, he won't be able to deny our agreement and get away with it. When you call some people to make a plan, maybe for a meeting, and they don't want to honour your invitation, they can say they couldn't hear the time u mentioned. But if it's text, you'll ask them why they couldn't read the text again. It also depends on how urgent the plan is. Text messages sometimes take time to deliver but calling is an immediate something. So if it's an urgent business, I call. Sometimes, I text message because of bad network. If I try calling and the line isn't reachable, I send a text. That'll be delivered sooner or later.

Submitted by Youssef Er-rafay on Sat, 18/07/2020 - 10:45

I always text formally with strange people , and don’t use abbreviations in my messages , but when i text my friends , i use a lotta of emojis , abbreviations and even secret words only my friends and i do understand.

Submitted by grainpleaser on Sun, 12/07/2020 - 11:59

I used emojis a lot when texting, because if I don't use emojis, my friends would mistaken me for being cheeky.

Submitted by walotaibi on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 22:19

hello everyone, I prefer to call my friends than I send a message. I think that will be more quickly. I hate it when I send a message and wait for my friend to answer me. I just hate waiting. also when I msg my friends I think their minds are not with me, lol. So I call them to make them focus on what I am saying.

Submitted by fatfat on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 13:13

hi, I usually send msgs for meeting. I don't prefer to phone a lot.
Profile picture for user Red Sus

Submitted by Red Sus on Sat, 04/07/2020 - 17:25

It depends. But if it's a spontaneous hanging-out, say a coffee break or a drink, I prefer to call them, feel more closely and quicker (wait for them to reply over messages is way too long though).

Submitted by Ronake on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 19:22

I arrange meetings with my friends most of the time through messages. Its more comfortable and speed, because your friends can check them when they are available and you won't disturbs each other.

Submitted by Garwayne on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 14:30

It depends sometimes I prefer to text messages other times I call my friends to make a plan meeting. I always give others a chance to choose the best time for them.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Sat, 27/06/2020 - 18:23

I used to call my friend a lot but now I prefer messages. Viber mostly or Messager. You will never know what people are doing when you call them so messages are a much more polite way to communicate. Especially when you at your almost 40s and became more introverted than you were at University. Of course, if the case is urgent I don't waste time texting.

Submitted by Sushmita Verma on Fri, 26/06/2020 - 15:17

I usually hangout with only close friends or family. Seldom do I make plans with my colleagues. When so it is usually a preplanned affair or a special ocaasion.I prefer calling them over messaging as I find it more personal and easy to decide.

Submitted by Omer_moh on Mon, 22/06/2020 - 21:48

It depends on my mood and the person who chat or speak with.

Submitted by Alaaseada on Sun, 21/06/2020 - 08:16

I prefer to msg my friends to make plans instead of speaking to them because most of time I forget what we have ended to so, it is easier to back to msgs than calling them again LOL.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Mon, 15/06/2020 - 14:28

I prefer to speak to friends to make plans, which is easy and quick, but I have to be careful not to bother their time. ヽ(´ε`●)ゞ

Submitted by MUHAMMAD YOUNUS on Mon, 15/06/2020 - 07:06

Yes, I send a lot of text messages to friends for making plan.

Submitted by Dilnoza Sulaymonova on Fri, 12/06/2020 - 07:42

thanks for your tasks

Submitted by hana ykt on Wed, 10/06/2020 - 03:54

I prefer to sends lots of text messages to make plans. I have three reasons. First, we have not more considerate than speak. Friends understand your emotions with your voice when you don’t want to go or don’t like place. If you don't decide immediately, the subtle atmosphere will continue. I hate this time very much. Message can be sent back immediately after checking "where are you?" and other places. Message can be sent back of other place and “How about here? “ immediately after checking. No need for extra care and hate time and it is efficient. Of course, you have to be careful about the words. Second, we can set the plans according to the time. I think send messages frequently is important to organize the situation and more good places. It's more fun to have a good plan. At the end I don’t like phone. Friends can’t hear it because my voice is low and husky, It is my most complex and always embarrassed. That makes me very nervous. I don't usually use the phone. It's the same when making an appointment. I want to meet my friend after the coronavirus calms down.

Submitted by sakura on Tue, 09/06/2020 - 13:43

I prefer to send a lot of message to my friends for going to drink or have dinner. Because I don't like phones so much. Even my friends can get nervous on the phone, so I prefer to talk in text I also found it easier to speak in text. If you make a promise in writing, it will remain in the text, so if you forget it, you can check it immediately. If you have forgotten to make a verbal promise, you must ask the other person again.In order to avoid such an act, I feel that the written promise is number one.Nowadays, SNS such as LINE is developed, so if you want to invite more than one person, you can invite them to the same chat. It's difficult to make a phone call because you have to call each person.However, I use the telephone for emergency calls and invitations. I don't use text because I want a quick reply. For example, if I am late for the appointment time, if i feel unwell, if I want to change the appointment location or time, I can contact the other person by phone.By the way, If I go out into society, I will have more phone calls. As I said before, I'm not good at talking to people on the phone right now, so I'll practice little by little and try to cure my dislike of the phone.
Profile picture for user lsrafael

Submitted by lsrafael on Tue, 09/06/2020 - 00:43

Usually I send messages to friends and work partners. Nowadays is easier to send messages or voice records.

Submitted by Laila Mutiara … on Fri, 05/06/2020 - 04:34

i prefer to send a message for making a plan. but just a short message

Submitted by eshan.saif on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 21:13

Usually, I feel comfortable texting my friends than talking them face to face. but when it's time to make any plans then I would like to speak about what should we do or what we are going to do.

Submitted by iiiirx6 on Sun, 31/05/2020 - 04:44

I used to send a MSG because make a call it might gives more time to choose a design. send a MSG is more flexibility for us

Submitted by doublef005 on Sun, 17/05/2020 - 18:51

I prefer send a lot messages to my friends for going to have dinner. I seldom to talk directly with them because i don't want to disturb their activity

Submitted by mouna99 on Sun, 17/05/2020 - 13:35

I prefer sending message instead of speaking to my friends, for not disturb them while they are working or sleeping

Submitted by c.lopes23 on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 16:59

I do both, I send lot of mensagens and to speak with my friends for make any plans.