Episode 06

Carolina wants a job to solve her money problems, but will she find one? Adam is surprised about your opinions of football!

Adam

Adam: Hi everyone – I’m Adam. It's good to be back with you. My holiday was in Europe. I saw my family in Scotland, but I also visited Belgium and Germany for a couple of days. Rob is away this week, but he's not on holiday. He's travelling for work. In the last podcast Tess & Ravi talked about football hooligans and we asked you to tell us what you think about football. Well, I’m a bit surprised by your answers; so many of you don’t like football! Lyudmila in Russia, booky in Egypt, Angelo in Italy, Ana in Spain, Lamai in Thailand and Sankio in Poland. Guisouzarego in Brazil talked about football and money. He says it’s the ‘politics of bread and circuses’. One of you even said football is for donkeys! I’d better not say his name...

Not all of you hate football though. We had fans of Flamengo in Brazil, Galatasaray in Turkey, Santiago Wanderers in Chile and Wangmanhang in Taiwan is a big fan of Arsenal in England.

Thanks for all your comments about football. There are so many that we can’t mention them all but we love reading them. And we’re happy too that you’re still adding comments to the other questions we asked you. Sunghun, who’s from Korea but lives in Australia, told us a very nice ‘first job’ story and advised us, ‘I hope that everyone calls their parents today and says 'I love you'.’

It’s really great to hear all your comments and remember, you can join in and add your own comments by going to www.britishcouncil.org/learnenglish. Or finding us on Facebook – look for 'Elementary Podcasts'.

Now, we’re back with Carolina this week. You remember that Carolina was worried about money and decided to get a job? Let’s see what happens next.

Carolina

Emily: Hi Jamie. I was just going out.

Jamie: Hi Emily. Is Carolina in?

Emily: Yeah, go on in. She's in the kitchen. But she's on the phone. She's found a job.

Jamie: Already?

Emily: Yeah. That convenience store at the university, you know, the one that's open all day Sunday. They want part-time staff. Well, she hasn't got it yet – she's speaking to the manager now.

Jamie: Hmm.

Emily: Anyway, I must go. See you.

Carolina: Yes that's right. I'm a student. From Venezuela. Yes, I think my English is OK …

Jamie: Say it's good – very good!

Carolina: Good actually, um, it's very good. Come in and talk to you? Yes, of course I can. I'm free tomorrow morning. Now?! Come and see you now? Um, I , um...

Jamie: Say yes! What's the matter?

Carolina: OK, um, yes, of course. Now. Half past ten. OK. Thank you very much. Goodbye. Oh, Jamie – he wants me to go and talk to him. Now!

Jamie: Well, of course he does.

Carolina: Well, yes of course. But now!? What am I going to wear? I need to print out my CV – oh dear, and I should write a list of questions.

Jamie: Whoa. Calm down. This isn't going to be a formal job interview. He won't want to see CV. He only wants to see you and talk to you before he decides.

Carolina: Are you sure?

Jamie: Pretty sure. And what you're wearing now is fine.

Carolina: Shouldn't I wear a suit?

Jamie: Carolina, it's the convenience store at the university – not an international bank.

Carolina: OK.

Jamie: How many hours is the job?

Carolina: He said fifteen hours a week.

Jamie: And which days? Is it weekends? Evenings?

Carolina: I don't know yet.

Jamie: Think about this carefully, Carolina. If you're working in the evenings and at weekends, when are you going to study? And when are we going to see each other?

Carolina: I have to get a job Jamie. Well, I'd better go. I mustn't be late.

Jamie: OK. I'll walk to the bus stop with you. And good luck, OK?

Carolina: Thanks.

Mr Spencer: So, Miss del Barco. You've never worked in a shop before.

Carolina: No, no I haven't. But I know I can do it.

Mr Spencer: It isn't easy in this shop. We sell food, cigarettes, alcohol, newspapers – everything. And it can get very busy – you need to be quick, think fast, be efficient.

Carolina: Oh, yes. I can do that. Definitely.

Mr Spencer: Are you good with money? Good with numbers?

Carolina: Oh yes. Very good.

Mr Spencer: And your visa says you can work here?

Carolina: Yes. I can show you. Here it is.

Mr Spencer: I need someone to start immediately.

Carolina: Yes. Of course.

Mr Spencer: OK. The job's yours.

Carolina: Oh! Thank you!

Mr Spencer: Thursday evening, Friday evening and Saturday from four till midnight. See you on Thursday at half past six.

Carolina: OK. I'll be here. Thank you very much.

Adam

Adam: So, Carolina got the job. Good news! When we think about job interviews we usually think about something quite formal. You have to wear a suit or smart clothes and answer lots of questions. But for this kind of part-­time job you usually don’t need to do a formal interview. The manager just asked Carolina one or two questions. Has she worked in a shop before? Is she good with money? And that was enough, she got the job.

Today I want to look at prepositions, in particular prepositions of time. Listen to these bits again:

Carolina: OK, I’ll be here.

Carolina: Come in and talk to you? Yes, of course I can. I'm free tomorrow morning.

Adam: The manager said ‘See you on Thursday at 6 o’clock’ – why is it ‘on Thursday’, but ‘at 6 o’clock’? And ‘at weekends’ and ‘in’ the evenings’. Does it seem a bit confusing?

Well – we use ‘at’ with times – ‘at 6 o’clock’, with ‘the weekend’ and with ‘night’.

We use ‘on’ with days – ‘on Monday’, and with dates ‘on the twenty fifth of April’.

And we use ‘in’ with months – ‘in September’ ­ with seasons – ‘in summer’ and with parts of the day – in the morning’.

There are also times when we don’t use a preposition at all – with ‘tomorrow’ and ‘yesterday’ – 'I’ll see you tomorrow morning’ – and with ’next’ and ‘last’ – ‘see you next time’.

If you find it difficult, try the exercises with this podcast – they’ll help you practise.

You might need to use some of these prepositions when you write to us this time. I’d like you to tell us about your favourite time of day. I like getting up late, but not in the afternoon! I don't want to have breakfast at 2pm. I also like to stay up late at night when it's quiet, but I don't think it's very healthy.

What about you? Are you happiest in the morning or at night? Or maybe in the afternoon? Write and tell us, here’s where you can send your answers: www.britishcouncil.org/learnenglish or on Facebook, look for Elementary Podcasts.

Well, that’s all for this time. Thanks for listening. We’ll be back with Tess and Ravi in the next podcast. See you soon!

Submitted by May Thida Su on Mon, 15/02/2021 - 09:43

My favorite time of a day is at late night. I like to stay up late at night but my parents don't let me stay up late at night because you know this is very unhealthy. I don't like get up early in the morning I want to get up at 10:00 Am around but my parents want me o get up early. So you know that's funny between my parents and I.

Submitted by claudiacaluff on Sun, 14/02/2021 - 04:12

My favourite time of the day is at nigth, becouse it is my free time to do things like watch some TV, read, take a look in my social media and of courses sleep. I spend all my Day working or looking after my Child so at nigths I just can take a break and it is quite good for my.

Submitted by Oksserg on Sat, 23/01/2021 - 19:42

Hello!! Thanks for your lessons, they help me very much. In this podcast manager said Carolina 'See you on Thursday at half past six'. When Adam tought us and repeated this phrase he said 'See you on Thursday at six o'clock'. It's a small mistake about time. It isn't important for topic of the lesson.

Submitted by Joelma on Tue, 05/01/2021 - 19:54

Thank you Britsh Council for the lessons. I love you guys Tess, Ravi, Tom, Adam, Carolina, Jamie and Emily.

Hi Joelma,

Thanks for your nice message :) We hope you enjoy your English practice here.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Submitted by Sajja on Fri, 01/01/2021 - 06:07

My favorite time of day is in the morning especially after fagr prayer to 12 or 1 p.m . I like this time very much so my favorite meal is breakfast . I love this time because I can do the most of my works in it . All of my subjects I study it in the morning especially if I want to understand a lots of information . Even on holidays I like this time, I can do many things like drinking a coffee , doing my workouts , walking , reading a book, cooking ,etc. In the real , if I wake up late I will hate this day and I think I will not achieve any thing .

Submitted by jmajo on Mon, 28/12/2020 - 14:23

My favourite time of day it depends on the season, in winter I prefer the afternoon and in summer I prefer the early morning because it's not to hot or cold. In summer I use to get up early and go to bed late in the evening, at night I like to read a little bit before sleep. In the winter I like to wake up late if I don't have to work but not to late, I use to get up before 10:00 in the morning. Sometimes in the summer if I've got a busy morning I like to take a short nap in the early afternoon to recover some energy for the rest of the day, because I spent more hours awake in summer rather than in the winter. Thanks for the episode. Great site!

Submitted by Mohammedalbassami on Sat, 17/10/2020 - 18:17

Good evening everyone My favorite time early in the morning if I sleep early at night. I fancy to wake up to pray and go to work. Also in the weekend , I go walking or swimming. Sometimes I like read books. However I feel active in the morning and in good health. Actually quite time to get relaxing and fresh air. Perhaps my work early that effects me for routine. But it doesn't make sense for many people.

Submitted by Mazoon AL.Ghssani on Mon, 05/10/2020 - 09:37

My happiest time is in the morning because everyone are sleeping and no noise at all it is kind of peace and relax .

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Sat, 19/09/2020 - 00:18

My favourite time of the day is in the morning. Am happiest at this time because it enables me to be prompt and get along with the activities of the day.

Submitted by maryamalomari on Sat, 05/09/2020 - 21:10

my favorite parts of the day are early morning and after midnight everything is quiet and I can read my books or study or go for a walk while I listen to my favorite songs or doing exercises or yoga but the problem is if I wake up early or sleep after midnight I can't meet my friends or my family I feel exhausted and I just wanna go to bed and sleep this routine makes me lonely

Submitted by Shamar on Wed, 05/08/2020 - 01:14

My favorite time of the day is night. I like it’s silent. I like to go for a walk at night with my spouse.

Submitted by valdez on Sat, 18/07/2020 - 16:12

My favorite time is night

Submitted by Harsh on Sat, 04/07/2020 - 10:36

My favorite time of day is night.

Submitted by Leonardo Lisboa on Sat, 30/05/2020 - 07:44

I like to get up earlier, around 7 o'clock, But I like studying at midnight, because my home is very quite at this time.

Submitted by Bruno2020 on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 15:42

What about you? Are you happiest in the morning or at night? Or maybe in the afternoon?I consider myself an evening person I think.I prefer the nights than the early mornings.In the most of the days I like to wake up late.

Submitted by clauvera2016 on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 11:07

Hi everyone ! My favourite times of the day are in the morning and in the evening. I love morning because in this part of the day I stay at my computer and listen to your very interesting podcasts and different English materials on the site with a cup of very tasty and nice smelling coffee and a piece of dark chocolate. I also like a lot the evening because after a very tiring day, I watch my favourite serials or films on a Korean site. This way I can relax... All the best !

Submitted by Israa Moha on Sun, 23/02/2020 - 19:42

I'd rather wake up early but I stay along for study and houseworks. So I often wake up at 12:00 p.m It's too late but actually when I wake up before, I feel lazy and lethargic. I'd rather spend a little time on the phone before bed, about half an hour.

Submitted by msoriano on Tue, 10/12/2019 - 19:16

My favorite part of the day is when i arrive at home after work, because i can play whith my baby and kiss my wife. After a hard day is so pleasurable be with loved ones.

Submitted by Sergey Sh on Fri, 27/09/2019 - 02:01

My favorite part of the day is the morning. When you wake up early at 6 or 7 o’clock that’s nice to look at how the Sun is arising, it’s first rays. My feel mood is the best this part and I start doing a bit of physical exercises outside breathing fresh air which is usually the clearest this part of the day.

Submitted by Arwa_amq on Sun, 16/06/2019 - 12:29

What dose that’s mean? ‘politics of bread and circuses’

Hello Arwa_amq

The 'politics of bread and circuses' describes policies or actions that satisfy the most urgent needs of people ('bread' meaning food, and 'circuses' meaning entertainment), but which don't really help the people for the longer term.

It's actually a phrase that comes from Latin and the time of the Roman Empire. I think Guisouzarego's idea is that football is only important as entertainment and has little value beyond that.

Does that make sense?

All the best

Submitted by parisaach on Tue, 30/04/2019 - 06:52

Generally I don't like mornings I hate to wake up at 6 oclock every morning and get to work as result I am always tired at work .On the other hand, I enjoy evenings and nights I go to dojo 3 days after work and I like that, then I go home and watch TV and go to bed. But I have 2 favorite days which is called weekend in my country: Thursday and Friday. I enjoy every part of these 2 days.

Submitted by Ethel on Fri, 22/03/2019 - 20:36

I could not say what my favorite time of the day is. I like to sleep, but then the morning is lost. To work, I prefer to get up early. In the afternoon you can also do many activities. At night, relax and watch a good movie, or a good book, is a fantastic plan. Every moment of the day can be good.

Submitted by STC on Fri, 04/01/2019 - 01:28

I feel calm and relax in the short time before sleeping every night ,it is my favorite moment in one day. Because it is always quiet. I can think something important or reading books interesting.I have no time to do these things in the daytime.It is a fantastic time but I know this behavior isn’t healthy, so I am going to sleep more early as soon as possible.

Submitted by Kien Alang on Thu, 27/12/2018 - 06:00

Hi, LearnEnglish Team. I love learning English on this page. The content is awesome. But there is a small thing I think you should change. If you click on Task 2, scroll down to the bottom of Task 2 content, you will see that the question and the phrases cannot be seen anymore and this can be annoying for the users because every time they need to pick/put the phrase, they have to scroll down and up. As far as I see, this kind of exercise appears many times at this page. Can the question and phrase always stay at the top? I am a web developer, I think this problem can be fixed easily by changing the CSS. Hope you are always doing well. Thank you.

Hi Kenny Alan,

That's a fantastic idea. I'll pass it on to our developers. Thanks for the suggestion!

Submitted by Nancy Nguyen on Mon, 10/12/2018 - 14:03

Hello everyone, I prefer the night than the morning. Because everything is quite quiet and comfortable at night when I can take rest and watch my favorite movies on TV.

Submitted by Oksi1001 on Mon, 26/11/2018 - 16:47

Definitely I like at night. But it's not spread at work.I use to work at nights, and it seemed quaite difficult for me .As to having a fun at night-i'm also ready! Moreover night is inspires me. It can be unexpected and interesting ideas. So i dont go to bad early and can afford wake up after 10 a.m even at work. I'm really happy about that.

Submitted by Mahougbe on Tue, 06/11/2018 - 14:09

Hi! My favourite time is the evening when I am back home after my work. I can take rest, see my joyful child and play with him. I am no longer under stress.

Submitted by Kukul on Thu, 18/10/2018 - 16:05

Hi guys I am very happy all the time if it is night or morning or evening! But I am better after midnight and in the morning early. When people sleep at night I do better maybe because I am very sociable. I sleep late at night and don't use to sleep in the evening or afternoon . Also I wake up early in the morning everyday. At the weekend I don't sleep as long as others in our home. Thanks

Submitted by Kostya B on Thu, 27/09/2018 - 18:37

Both of this periods of the day equal for me on respect of the work.

Submitted by hamad on Sun, 16/09/2018 - 15:07

Hello everyone my favorite part of day in the morning because all my family get up to go work or go to school and I saw everybody wear the uniform different from school or work

Submitted by MNahid on Tue, 04/09/2018 - 18:21

hi there , just wrote it here in hope of getting any suggestions to my question , question is - i read about its having some chemicals causing cancer - is here should be it or its

Hello MNahid,

In the clause 'I read about its having some chemicals causing cancer', 'its' is the correct form and not 'it's'. 'it's' is an abbreviated form of 'it is', whereas here 'its' is possessive -- 'it' refers to whatever substance is being talked about and so 'its' makes a link between the substance and the carcinogenic chemicals.

Another common way to express an idea like this is with 'how': 'I read about it and how it contains some carcinogenic chemicals'.

Submitted by fatemeh on Sat, 28/07/2018 - 05:14

There are two times in a day I like them. Early morning because everywhere is quite specially streets and I do exercises which makes me energetic. Morever I listen to the birds singing in the spring and summer while preparing breakfast. And I like afternoon because I read my favorite books, talk to my family and sometimes walk in a park near my apartment with my husband and son.

Submitted by manarise on Fri, 20/07/2018 - 09:48

It's nice to hear that Carolina got a job. i also write a personal blog post about e-cig, favorite time for me is in the evening, where everyone is fall asleep i can find a true silence that i could write something about my blog. Thanks for this page , it will help me through grammar mistake that i always find in writing. From Japan

Submitted by Hal55 on Tue, 12/06/2018 - 15:23

Hello everyone. My favorite time of day is morning. Because I feel good when it is quiet in the morning. I like taking a breath with clean air. I always get up early in the morning like five o'clock. and I do some exercise and go running. then I make breakfast by myself. and I study English after breakfast.

Submitted by John Fan on Fri, 01/06/2018 - 15:36

Hello everbody, My favorite time of day is evening. Actually, is after pm. 7:00. Because when I after working to my home about pm. 6:00, my boss will call me and ask about working today between pm. 6:00 and pm. 7:00. After answer my boss questions, I really relax. It’s really my own time. I don’t think about working, I can do my favorite thing.

Submitted by pickplayer on Sun, 29/04/2018 - 15:06

Hello everyone! My favorite time of day is midnight. After a day working, I can enjoy my own time in the midnight. No worry about taking care of my daughter and no need to do housework. Finally, I can watch my favorite dramas, play the acoustic guitar, listen to my favorite music, chat with my friends online and so on...However, it is really unhealthy...staying up late hurts my health. As a result, I usually burn the midnight oil on Friday night. On Saturday morning, I don't have to get up early to work. I can catch up on sleep!

Submitted by Shiiya on Thu, 26/04/2018 - 12:25

Hello everbody My favorite part of the day is the morning , I´ve been got up early for years at about five o´clock , sometimes even earlier . I´m really fell bether in the morning , more efficient and productive even working , studying or doing work out I am a person they call morning people . in the morning everything are more tranquil , traffic jam , an restaurants , places in general there aren´t queue , that is why I am not go out to the Cinema , restaurants or shopping for example on saturday afternoon they are so crowd

Submitted by alberto bastos on Sun, 04/02/2018 - 20:46

Hello! The best period of the day I think it is of the morning. while we sleep our body charge of mental energy and become possible activity with more happy. so we can create new possibilities e anyelse suddenly appear in the day. But we need realize effort and walking to working. Alberto.

Submitted by Yainner on Sun, 09/07/2017 - 19:22

Hello greeting from colombia. well I have no special part of the day to say but if I most choose one I would chose the afternoon because either you can get up early or late and you enjoy it all the same, when I was a child I used to wake late, in fact I didn't like studying at morning that's why I only made 9 grade at that time the others I do in the afternoon, I do not like wake up so late, I often do between 5-7 everyday, plus I love sunday coz that my day off, so I can meet up with my friend, go to the theater with my girl, maybe take soon beer to cool off and enjoy the life. that's all for now.

Submitted by dianthus on Tue, 06/06/2017 - 09:30

Hi, I've hated getting up early since I was a kid, but I've had to get up early since I was six years old. so I'm very unhappy in the morning. My favourite time of the day is afternoon in particular after work because I usually go to the gym or play tennis, the things I like most. I also love to sleep before it is too late. If I don't sleep at least 8 hours, I wake up very miserable and deppresive.

Submitted by Piotr17 on Tue, 11/04/2017 - 20:42

Hi everyone. For my, the favorite time of the day is afternoon, just after work.When I come home about 4 p.m I like spent time with my family, especially with my son and daughter. Then we can speak what we were do during the day, what happened in the school or in the work.That time is only for my family because work is not whole life. Also I like learning English with Elementary Podcast British Council or watching movie on the web, which English is not difficult, not advanced because my English is not very advanced. I like cook in the evening too for my family, and after walk with my dog.

Submitted by Ko on Tue, 11/04/2017 - 15:24

Hi, I would always love waking up early in the morning so as i can make use of that time by reading because i enjoy reading, and getting up early make me feel cool and energetic the whole day but it's a struggle to get up in mornings in the winter season and have late night sleep anyway i hope i can do everyday. And I suppose i may enjoy at night after my marriage but not now. Thanks, KO