Meeting new people

In this video, Vanya meets Emir and Yuna. Listen to the language they use for meeting new people and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say!

Do you know what to say when you meet new people? Listen out for useful language for meeting new people. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this.

Vanya: Hi.

Emir: Hello.

Vanya: Are you Paul?

Emir: No, I'm not. But he asked me to meet you. I'm Emir. You must be Vanya.

Vanya: Yes, I am. Nice to meet you.

Emir: You too. Can I show you the office?

Vanya: Perfect. Thanks.

Emir: So how was your journey?

Vanya: It was fine and it's great to be here!

Emir: Well, it's great to have you here. Can I get you a coffee?

Vanya: Oh, yes, please.

Emir: Ah, Yuna, this is Vanya.

Yuna: Oh, hi, I'm Yuna. Nice to meet you. Welcome to the team!

Ana: Hello again! That went well. OK, did you notice the useful phrases used for meeting new people? Listen to me and then repeat.

Hi, I'm Yuna.

You must be Vanya.

Nice to meet you.

You too.

This is Vanya.

So how was your journey?

It's great to be here!

Welcome to the team!

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you meet new people in English. Bye for now!

Do you need to improve your English speaking skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English speaking skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

A1 English level (elementary)

Submitted by Carlos Cabrera on Wed, 23/09/2020 - 13:44

Hi. I like new people. Each person is a new experience and it's an opportunity to exploring a different culture.
Profile picture for user danisep

Submitted by danisep on Sat, 19/09/2020 - 23:39

There is people with the ability to make friends at any place, I just want to build strong relationships with people to propelling my abilities and make us better each other

Submitted by Lena on Sun, 13/09/2020 - 08:11

Not always. Meeting someone new often makes me feel nervous but I'm trying to do my best and be positive about it.

Submitted by mauld on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 01:15

Yes, I do. But I'm sometimes meeting new people, so I actually love them.

Submitted by Pola on Mon, 07/09/2020 - 19:39

Yes, I do but when I meet a new one I being confused and worried

Submitted by Márcio S. dos Santos on Thu, 27/08/2020 - 03:34

Really love meeting new people.A chance to know new culture.

Submitted by Saish on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 08:03

Yes, I do like meeting new people. I like to strike a conversation with new people and like to know them better. Bright and positive people always interest me. I like to know people to know about the ideas, the talent they carry within themselves.

Submitted by HeinHtetKyaw on Sun, 23/08/2020 - 22:52

HI, everybody,! I like meeting new people cheerful in any situation

Submitted by Inesines on Fri, 07/08/2020 - 18:53

I'm an intovert, but I don't mind meeting new people.

Submitted by fariba on Wed, 29/07/2020 - 07:06

no. i don't like it because i feel nervous.
Profile picture for user Ivanox76

Submitted by Ivanox76 on Wed, 29/07/2020 - 05:14

I don't really enjoy meeting new people, unless they're particularly interesting persons.

Submitted by M19 on Mon, 27/07/2020 - 12:23

Sometimes, under certain circumstances and for a common goal. An obvious situation is at work when new staff are recruited and they need an orientation of the systems or departments. Perhaps and if I am allocated to do this, then I would have no choice but to first to introduce myself even though I usually don't like meeting new people.

Submitted by Phan Bao Dung on Tue, 21/07/2020 - 17:36

Yes, I do. This is an opportunity for me to have new friends.

Submitted by Benatawa on Mon, 20/07/2020 - 16:39

Yes, it's always a treasure to meet new people. It gives you a chance to see things differently and helps to broaden your horizons!

Submitted by Asni on Thu, 16/07/2020 - 22:27

Sure, it is always great to meet new people. It is like going to a new place, we have an instinctive curiosity and desire to know more about other people.

Submitted by bren on Thu, 16/07/2020 - 02:17

Yes I like to meeting new people. From they, I always get a new information. But, firstly it will be awkward because I'm an introvert

Submitted by mohnuriman on Fri, 10/07/2020 - 13:47

I often meet new people in my life. sometimes on the street or in other places. it is nice when we are talking to each other and have camaraderie. hope we are on this course meet someday in the real-world. Thank you

Submitted by fatfat on Fri, 03/07/2020 - 13:14

I like to meet new people but in the beginning I don't talk a lot. After I observe him/her I decide whether she will my friend or not. Actually I am not so friendly I love to be alone more.

Submitted by Minyoung on Fri, 03/07/2020 - 01:48

I am happy to know here.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 16:41

I can't say I like to meet new people. On the one hand, meeting someone new is a great opportunity to learn something important from that person. You may make some useful professional contacts which could help you in your carrier or just find your soul mate who could enrich your life. On the other hand, you never know what kind of person is this. Is he (or she) toxic, or brutal, or dishonest?
Profile picture for user A Yar Kyaw

Submitted by A Yar Kyaw on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 02:48

yes i like to meet new people.bcz they have new knowledge,new culture,new habits,nwe language that is let me know.almost people use common language that is english for communication.so we should learn english to meet new people in world.thanks for lessons.

Submitted by Jasmeen Mughal on Sun, 28/06/2020 - 10:41

Meeting new people is always wonderful. I feel amazing talking about them. I find different cultures languages habits and views in new people.
Profile picture for user lsrafael

Submitted by lsrafael on Thu, 25/06/2020 - 02:10

Yes, I like to meet new people and new cultures. It’s amazing! PS: I really liked the last videos :(
Profile picture for user Ivanox76

Submitted by Ivanox76 on Wed, 24/06/2020 - 08:41

Well, Finally I could saw the video. Interesting way to introduce yourself to new people. I love meeting new people, new cultures, to do new friends.

Submitted by abudo93 on Wed, 24/06/2020 - 08:31

Yes, i like to meet new people and known to them , it's a great thing when you make new connections.