A weather forecast

Listen to a weather forecast and answer the questions to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Hello and good morning! Well, we're off to a good start in the south this week, as most of the rain from the weekend has disappeared – just a few patches of cloud and maybe some showers here on the east coast. They'll all clear up by lunchtime, though. Over the next day or so, London and the area around Kent can expect a couple of isolated showers, but mostly dry through until Thursday.

It's not such good news for the north-west this week, I'm afraid: more wet weather, and not a lot of sunshine. Some of today's showers will be heavy – and even thundery in Manchester and across the Pennines. Leeds will escape the thunderstorms, with drizzle and light rain only throughout the rest of the day and tonight.

Elsewhere it becomes dry today, but with some foggy patches towards Wales. In England, tomorrow morning will see a dry, bright start in most places, with high temperatures throughout the week. We might see one or two thunderstorms appearing as the week goes on, with temperatures everywhere at 29 to 30 degrees.

By the weekend, unfortunately, the dry weather will make way for mostly cloudy skies and rain. The rain will move from Scotland, down towards the north and reach the south coast by Saturday afternoon. Temperatures, at least, will stay mostly warm at around 21 degrees for the weekend. It might feel like a nice change from the high twenties and early thirties we'll see in the week. That's all from me until tomorrow. Enjoy the mini-heatwave while you can!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

B1 English level (intermediate)

Hello Enidcd,

I can see how that is confusing, but if you look at a map of the UK I think it will be clear. 'the north' refers to the north of England, which lies south of Scotland. So the rain begins at the top of the island (in Scotland), then moves down to the north of England and then from there on down to the south (of England).

Submitted by Ugulhan on Mon, 19/10/2020 - 06:55

I like having a sunny day every day. Unfortunately, since I am living in Germany and here is not a lot of sunshine. Most time is a cold and dry cold. Sometimes, drizzle weather never cleared up the sky from the cloud. It makes many people very depressed. Throughout a day will not shine the sun. Maybe, elsewhere in South Germany would be fine weather so clouds should make way for the South.

Submitted by nialataria on Sat, 10/10/2020 - 16:57

Bright days impact on our mood positively, but I enjoy rainy days too)

Submitted by mcambindo22 on Fri, 09/10/2020 - 18:52

I have two preferences aboout weather and depends on spot o place wherever you are and what plan you have, so If my plan is going to the beach the best weather will be summer instead of any other, whereas if my trip is going to a big city, very populated I'd rather winter than summer because I like wearing coats, pants, blazzers, and so on. However, each place has breathtaking sightseeings with a particular weather so I adapt easy to any situation and I can find out particular things in each place.

Submitted by habibao.medo on Thu, 08/10/2020 - 11:50

a little bit cloudy with light rain i think it is the best weather ,also when it is bright but not very hot

Submitted by ahnaf haziq on Mon, 28/09/2020 - 05:11

i love the way tropican sunny and rainy enviroment

Submitted by Soleh on Mon, 28/09/2020 - 04:57

I like sunny because i can play volleyball

Submitted by Danish on Mon, 28/09/2020 - 04:56

I like sunny because i hate cold weather

Submitted by Zidane on Mon, 28/09/2020 - 04:02

Sunny day yah is my favourite because its warm and happy

Submitted by ayra on Mon, 28/09/2020 - 02:26

i love when it rains. the cold weather is very comforting to me because i could stay in my bed and under the covers. i would read books or watch a few movies or finish an anime series !! sometimes i would listen to my playlist while it’s pouring outside, it helps me to relax and get some rest. the music playing on my earphones along with the sound of the rain is the best thing ever, especially when it rains at night !!

Submitted by adamfirdaus on Mon, 28/09/2020 - 02:26

I like too the weather that hot hot cold weather

Submitted by adamfirdaus on Mon, 28/09/2020 - 02:25

Ammar like weather that like rainy because Ammar can sleep little longer

Submitted by Ayah Pin on Mon, 28/09/2020 - 02:24

I only like when its sunny and blue ii sky

Submitted by Joepee on Sat, 26/09/2020 - 10:11

I like Wet weather because, while sunny weather could cause dry leaves which are not beautiful to behold and also heat waves, wet weather keeps environment colorful and green with favorable temperatures.

Submitted by Haziq on Thu, 24/09/2020 - 05:06

I Like sunny because you can play at the field

Submitted by joestar on Thu, 24/09/2020 - 05:06

I like cold weather because rain makes me feel sleepy and hungry

Submitted by Sulagna Das on Tue, 22/09/2020 - 07:40

I prefer winters as it's very pleasant here on India. We generally have 6 months of summer season and 3 months of monsoon. Winters here is dry and moderate.

Submitted by Alia sader on Wed, 16/09/2020 - 19:32

I like the spring weather , when it is warm not very hot , the sky is clear blue and the green color is evry where arround us .

Submitted by Mattia Ciccarelli on Sun, 13/09/2020 - 16:22

My favorite kind of weather is when it's sunny but not too much hot
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 14:38

Nature is not an object opposed to human and to be overcome, but one that we adapt ourselves to. ;)

Submitted by Linus Farinder on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 11:46

its depends fom if it is summer or winter but if it si winter i like when it is sun shine whith litle snow faling

Submitted by viclin0709 on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 11:44

i like especially when its sunny outside because i like t bo warm and eat ice cream and bath. i also like when its snowing outside and when you can go skiing and drink warm chocolate, I hate fall because I hate when its grey, boring, and when the leaves are falling from the trees and loses the beautiful color green.

Submitted by Theosjobergg on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 11:44

I like the sun.

Submitted by kelb on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 11:42

I like the rain, but only when I'm inside, I really like watching the rain outside from out the window. On the other hand, I like it sunny and hot when I'm outside.

Submitted by Mr.handsome on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 11:41

when its sunny cuz u can go swimming

Submitted by bra eller on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 11:40

i like snow and rain

Submitted by ivarhasse on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 11:39

I like sunny weather the best because its warm and nice .

Submitted by Allis.hogberg on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 07:55

I like the weather when its snowing so I can go skiing with my family and friends

Submitted by Axel on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 07:39

I like when it's sunny.

Submitted by Abdikarim123 on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 07:38

I mostly like sunny weather but it can get annoying sometimes, soo i miss the cold weather a bit. But when its cold i miss the sunny weather is an akward one.

Submitted by Faris.E on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 07:37

I prefer sunny weather

Submitted by VildaArvid on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 07:35

I like when the sun is shining.

Submitted by Niklas27 on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 07:33

il like sunny and hot weather but also the sunny winters.

Submitted by FilipArnkil on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 07:33

I like sunny weather so I can be outside

Submitted by john L on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 07:32

I like the weather best when it's around 20-30℃.

Submitted by AryanEld on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 07:31

I love the winter most. Specially when it snows.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Wed, 02/09/2020 - 13:05

I think I'm not good at humidity.... : |
Profile picture for user cassiamattos2013

Submitted by cassiamattos2013 on Wed, 02/09/2020 - 01:26

I like best when the weather is sunny. I love to sunshine and I love to go to the beach. But when is rainy, I like to stay in my home and to watches a good film with popcorn and to drink a hot drink. It's very cool, too.

Submitted by pilargarciach on Sun, 30/08/2020 - 11:51

I prefer cold weather because it is easier to hot a venue than to cool it. I can use coats and drink coffee or chocolate hot by obtaining corporal hot with these things. In the summer it is more difficult to get appropriate corporal temperature without conditioned air

Submitted by Ahmed Abdi on Fri, 28/08/2020 - 06:57

In our area Middle East Qatar we have only two seasons spring and summer which is very hot. Not only heatwave we are facing but the high humidity as well like living in big sauna. Even though l like summer very much. It is my favorite season.
Profile picture for user danisep

Submitted by danisep on Wed, 26/08/2020 - 21:47

I live in a sunny city with a lot of heatwaves and without a beach, I like cloudy days and I prefer to visit cold cities when I travel. My favorite weather is rainy and cloudy days with a dark sky, because I enjoy rain, wearing coats and boots, if my city has a beach it’ll be awesome.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Sun, 23/08/2020 - 14:33

I like a mild wether, which means temperature reads around 18-20℃ with a blue sky.;)

Submitted by Gema25 on Sat, 22/08/2020 - 21:27

When I was 5 I used to love sunny days for the reason that I could go for a walk with my grandmother and eat a chocolate ice-cream. Now, I'm 20, almost 21 and I love rainy days because I really enjoy staying at home, watching a movie or read an interesting book while I'm seeing the rain through the window.

Submitted by Jonus on Thu, 20/08/2020 - 16:56

L like a sunny weather , because it's is hot and nice. To go the beach in summer. L don't like a heatwave, because one sweats a lot in the summer.

Submitted by Daniela Zapata on Thu, 20/08/2020 - 00:08

I think it depends on the things you are doing. If you are on holidays, resting from your work, you probably want a sunny weather to enjoy the sea or other activities like drink a beer or do a barbecue with friends. If your are at home, watching movies and eating pop corns, a rainy day will be good. But if you are at work doing a lot of things, moving side to side, a clowdy weather will help you a lot!!

Submitted by Danbraga on Thu, 13/08/2020 - 21:20

For me, either rainy days or sunny days is important and necessary, As I live in a tropical country we need both of them to help with the climate balance.
Profile picture for user AndruVasquez

Submitted by AndruVasquez on Thu, 13/08/2020 - 00:52

The weather in Bogota, Colombia is so funny, You can have the four seasons just in one day.