Ordering in a café

Listen to people ordering food and drinks in a café to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Customer 1: Can I have an orange juice, please?

Server: Regular or large?

Customer 1: How big is a large?

Server: This is a large. This is a regular.

Customer 1: I'll have a large, then, please. Without ice.

Server: OK, coming up.

Customer 1: Sorry, I wanted freshly squeezed orange juice.

Server: I'm afraid we only have bottled juices.

Customer 1: Oh, then I'll have an apple juice instead, please.

Server: Here you go. That's £3.50, please.

Customer: Thanks.

Server: Thank you.

Server: Can I help anyone?

Customer 2: Who's next?

Customer 3: You were first, I think.

Customer 2: What teas do you have?

Server: Breakfast tea, mint and green tea.

Customer 2: A mint tea and a slice of lemon cake, please.

Server: To eat in or take away?

Customer 2: Take away, please.

Server: There you go. That'll be £4.20, please.

Customer 2: Sorry, I've only got a fifty.

Server: That's OK. Here's your change … 5, 10, 30, 50.

Server: Who's next?

Customer 4: Can I have a ...

Customer 3: Sorry, I think I was in front of you.

Customer 4: Oh, sorry!

Customer 3: Can I have a chocolate chip cookie, please?

Server: Would you like a drink with that?

Customer 3: No, thanks. Just the cookie.

Server: OK, then. That's 95p, please.

Customer 3: Thanks. I think that's right.

Server: 50, 70, 80, 85, 90, 92, 94, yep, 95. Thank you.

Submitted by Asni on Fri, 05/06/2020 - 19:10

I usually buy drinks or snacks from cafes about once a fortnight. Sometimes, more often. I like freshly squeezed juice with a slice of chocolate cake, a cookie or a pastry.

Submitted by eshan.saif on Tue, 02/06/2020 - 18:16

I rarely go to cafes as i don't like fast food items or any other rich food. I prefer home made food than the fast food items. Besides, it seems to me the drinks and snacks of cafes are unhygienic. That's why i try my best to avoid these as much as i can.

Submitted by Shaista on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 17:19

Not very often...yes sometimes whenever we're in group

Submitted by Teresa Chi on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 15:29

sometime, but i never buy coffee

Submitted by Leonardo Lisboa on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 06:37

Sometimes. To drink a coffee (in a coffee shop) in my city (and my country almost generally), I have to go to the shopping mall, because here is allways very hot.

Submitted by ILYES on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 10:30

Each time separately , in the morning i take drinks and snacks , in the afternoon I take only drinks

Submitted by facuabel on Sun, 24/05/2020 - 15:38

i sometimes going to cafe and stay eating there with friends.

Submitted by mouna99 on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 14:29

I often buy snacks from cafés because it's near to my class

Submitted by Hrachia on Thu, 14/05/2020 - 10:36

I rarely go to cafe, but in our country you can have a freshly squezzed apple juice only for 1 pound.)

Submitted by c.lopes23 on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 20:01

I sometimes buy drinks or snacks

Submitted by cittàutopica on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 12:10

I often go at cafés because I like drinking Italian coffee and staying in for a nice chat with my friends.

Submitted by konatenasty on Fri, 08/05/2020 - 10:51

I like to cook at home and inviting my friends to enjoy my freshly squeezed fruit cocktail without sugar and my spécial cake.I am a good an cake and juice are my specialities.

Submitted by Hello from Russia on Wed, 06/05/2020 - 20:11

not often

Submitted by Fatemeh.Najafzadeh on Wed, 06/05/2020 - 01:25

I rarely buy drinks or snacks from cafe, because it’s expensive and I’d rather to buy anything from markets.

Submitted by Phuc tran on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 01:29

Sometimes, i go to the coffee with my friend. We order something to drink like coffee, fruit juice, milk tea. And after that, we have had some pleasure story to talk about daily life in my country.

Submitted by Kitty pretty on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 06:41

actually i rarely go to cafe, because im not to like cafe, i more like go to market or restaurant

Submitted by Youssef Karfouh on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 15:53

i rarely do when i hang out with my friends , we take some snacks but not from coffe , because there are many snack shops here arround my hometown .

Submitted by Emirito on Tue, 21/04/2020 - 20:55

Rarely, I buy a drink at a café because it is more expensive than the market. However, when I am traveling in places different to my city, I buy local or traditional drinks like coffee, mojito, some kind of juice.

Submitted by Ronake on Sat, 18/04/2020 - 23:47

Almost everyday, in my break time i used to buy a Caffe and a slice of chocolate cake in the nearest caffe.

Submitted by nguyenthihoanb0510 on Thu, 16/04/2020 - 03:23

after having a salary, I and my friends often go to shopping, then I usually buy a freeze matcha with ice cream in the Highlands coffee. because of corona virus, i came my country so I can't it.

Submitted by FRANCY JACQUEL… on Fri, 10/04/2020 - 13:00

I oftenment buy drinks and snacks for eat in home with my daugther or myy frineds, seeing films. I like very much.

Submitted by zabiullah on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 18:17

actually i rarely buy drinks and snacks from cafe or restuarant. bxz where i live i could not to find any cafe. but sometimes my friends and i go to market for shopping after that we go to cafe and order some fresh fruit joices... we enjoy with each other this is very pleasure time for all of us. this situation feels me to establish new cafe near my house to offer some drinks and joices for our people...

Submitted by Aya Sayed on Mon, 06/04/2020 - 22:57

Sometimes I go to a cafe and I prefer to drink french coffee with a piece of chocolate cake .

Submitted by Yuzana on Wed, 01/04/2020 - 04:51

Sometimes, I buy some drink in cafe and prefer to drink orange juice than the others.

Submitted by babul chandra shil on Sun, 29/03/2020 - 04:23

In our country situation is different. There are so many tea shop near to road side. I frequently take my breakfast road side tea shop. Usually, i drink red tea and bread, sometimes banana and cookies also. And evening when i return from office i eat butter naan with vegetables and a cup of tea twice in a week. Other day take noodles and some local fast food.

Submitted by Nane on Fri, 27/03/2020 - 21:14

Hi! I often buy drinks and snacks from cafés. I often visit a cafeteria with my husband, we buy strawberry shakes and croissant. Regards, AM

Submitted by Yenn nguyen on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 10:43

I often hang on with my friends and we drink tea milk, tea, fruits, eat several food snacks, talks about life and some private story, have fun talking.

Submitted by Khin Nyein Chan on Mon, 16/03/2020 - 01:56

I only buy drinks and snacks from cafe when I meet with my friends.

Submitted by jason2295 on Thu, 05/03/2020 - 23:57

Every morning my coworkers and I go to the Cafe store near to the office and we buy coffee for everyone. I usually like to drink an orange juice well freshly squeezed and eat a slice of bread. We also have a good time.

Submitted by s4lemm on Tue, 03/03/2020 - 12:11

Rarely, I usually have a snack at home or at work.

Submitted by Abdullah on Fri, 28/02/2020 - 09:33

I don't buy them from cafes... I buy them from supermarkets! i do it seldom, because I don't into them so much!

Submitted by Talha Munir on Tue, 25/02/2020 - 18:44

Some time I purchase snacks but usually I did not like it.. but I like cold drink with biryani, whenever I go to Bazar I ordered biryani along with cold drink..

Submitted by hamayoon on Sat, 22/02/2020 - 11:02

In our country everything buy from shops and markets there isn't any cafe shop if it's it doesn't buy anything else

Submitted by siciidgaagaale on Fri, 21/02/2020 - 13:50

I do not usually buy drink let alone snacks . I hadrly ever buy drinks because i do not often go cafés if it happens i order Vinto with milk it is very popular in our local cafés . last time i bought drink was three months ago while i was eating in a cafateria . I am not totally keen on snacks like biscuits 'sweets 'gam and so on.

Submitted by Kadir on Mon, 17/02/2020 - 19:20

When I go to a cafe, usually offer a cup of coffee and a glass of water. Then I eat some chocolate. cake. My wife offer coke and strawberry cake. She likes that too much. You know children always want to drink coke and eat pizza.

Submitted by Farisasky on Tue, 04/02/2020 - 04:22

I buy cake or drinks in cafe when I get hang out with my friends

Submitted by Sanja on Sun, 02/02/2020 - 14:21

Sometimes, especially when I am with my kids. They like to eat cakes, French fries or hot chocolate and love spending time in cafès. I usually order a cup of coffee then.

Submitted by Dinka on Thu, 30/01/2020 - 07:07

I buy some hot drinks and snaks when i go to the cafe with my friends.I prefer tea or orange juice.I am sweet tooth so i buy cookies,cupcakes,slice of cakes. despite the prices.

Submitted by ega nfa on Sun, 19/01/2020 - 13:53

When i go to caffe i always buy coffe. Coffe is my favorite drink. To snack just sometimes

Submitted by MaryaSun on Thu, 16/01/2020 - 17:06

Hi, i usually don't buy drink or snack in a cafè. I buy it rarely or when i am in a trip with friends or my family. In those day we have breakfast in a cafè every day.

Submitted by ofti on Tue, 14/01/2020 - 21:37

When i go to the café,i usually buy some hot drinks like tea or chocolate coffee.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Sat, 28/12/2019 - 13:34

I rarely buy drinks from cafes. We usually go to a restaurant with my family once a month.

Submitted by Mdolores on Sat, 14/12/2019 - 23:56

when we go to walk we take something in the cafe and other times we buy food to take home, to the beach. too for to breakfast near of the work

Submitted by Laura390 on Mon, 09/12/2019 - 18:51

I go to the coffe once a week

Submitted by Dariusz on Sun, 24/11/2019 - 22:18

I sometimes buy a coffee and sweets but I never buy salty snacks, actually I rarely buy in cafes because there is expensivly.

Submitted by le van son on Wed, 06/11/2019 - 04:12

I often order coffee but never order snack because snack's not good for healthy.

Submitted by Nasser_mo on Tue, 05/11/2019 - 14:13

I often buy chocolate cake from the café with cappuccino or lattes .