Showing interest

In this video, Bob tells Noelia about when he broke his leg. Listen to the language Noelia uses to show interest and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say

Do you know what to say when you want to show interest? Listen out for useful language for showing interest. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this.

Noelia: Morning, Bob.

Bob: Oh, good morning.

Noelia: It's so rainy today. The weather in this country is horrible!

Bob: Yes … yes … The weather was even worse when I lived in Canada.

Noelia: Oh, I didn't know that you lived in Canada, Bob. How cool!

Bob: One winter it was so cold and windy that I fell on the ice and broke my leg in three places.

Noelia: Oh no! You're joking!

Bob: I wish I was, Noelia, I wish I was. I was never the same after that winter. And my leg is still bad today.

Noelia: Really? I'm sorry to hear that. Poor you.

Bob: But it's not all bad. I met my wife in the hospital. She was the doctor who looked at my leg!

Noelia: No way!

Bob: It was love at first sight!

Noelia: Ah, that's brilliant!

Bob: Yes, and we're still in love 40 years later …

Noelia: So in the end, breaking your leg was the best thing that could have happened.

Bob: Yes, I suppose it was!

Ana: Hello again! Aww, I love a story with a happy ending! So, did you notice the useful phrases used for showing interest? Listen to me and then repeat.

Oh, I didn't know that you lived in Canada!

How cool!

Oh no, poor you.

You're joking!

Really?

I'm sorry to hear that.

No way!

That's brilliant!

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you want to show interest in English. Bye for now!

Do you need to improve your English speaking skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English speaking skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

A2 English level (pre-intermediate)

Submitted by Pola on Sun, 11/10/2020 - 18:29

Yes, I broke my pair arms the right arm then the left arm for I was a child between six and eight years old, but it's not all bad that thing let me exempted from the Egyptian recruiting!

Submitted by habibao.medo on Sat, 10/10/2020 - 09:25

i never broke any leg or arm but i I had a terrible head injury when I ran into the ladder

Submitted by Shiv on Thu, 08/10/2020 - 18:56

Hello Sir, my name is shivcharan Shahani. i m watching your video and doing exercises. But i have a problem in preparation section there are only tree sentence and the option is 9. So i think there is a technical error bcs it is not scrolling up

Hello Shivcharan,

In the Preparation task there are nine items and three categories. You need to add more than one item to each category. To do this, click on the item first, then click on the title of the category (which should be shaded dark grey). If you click on an item in the category then you will replace it with the new item; if you click on the category itself (the box) then you will add a new item without removing the old one.

Profile picture for user Aung Ko Latt

Submitted by Aung Ko Latt on Wed, 07/10/2020 - 18:19

Hello! Nice program.
Profile picture for user Aung Ko Latt

Submitted by Aung Ko Latt on Wed, 07/10/2020 - 18:18

Hello! I've broken my left arm when I was a child. It was healed in a little wrong position.
Profile picture for user Vinh

Submitted by Vinh on Mon, 05/10/2020 - 14:08

showing interest makes people feel that we are sympathetic to them. Therefore, real friendship is started with sympathy and respect.

Submitted by Lena on Mon, 21/09/2020 - 14:25

No, I have not. But one morning in the early spring many years ago I slipped on the ice on my way to school and immediately felt a horrible pain in my ankle. Later in the hospital the doctor said the ankle was sprained. I couldn't walk for two weeks after that but today it's completely all right.

Submitted by fariba on Sat, 12/09/2020 - 07:29

one day my finger of leg was broken. i went to hospital and the nurse bandaged.
Profile picture for user shelly

Submitted by shelly on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 09:18

Yes, it happened in a summer, an agriculture vehicle swerved when I was riding an electric bike on the sideway. It was too late when he noticed me, I fell on the ground and my bone of my foot thumb was fractured, I could not even stand up at that moment, but even worse the driver drove away immediately without asking me. Later a passerby helped me and took me home. At that night my entire foot was bumped and I had to clamp splints and stay at bed for one month. It was a terrible experience every time I thought of.

Submitted by Saish on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 09:31

No not really. But I once injured the little finger of my foot, I banged it accidentally on a wall when I was kicking something. It hurt really bad and I was in a pain for that entire week. I could barely touch my foot to the ground as a part of my foot got swollen. Thankfully my misery lasted only for a week long and I was back to kicking stuff again...LOL.

Submitted by r_m.u.h.a.m.m.a.d on Sat, 22/08/2020 - 16:10

No,I've not.But I fell down once when I was studying at the college.Then I was getting down from the stairs and then suddenly something happened I fell down from stairs.And I'd gotten a severe pain in my head,hereby after that I didn't comprehend what was going on and unknowingly I went to my home.So I remembered what happened after sitting couple ten mins.Though I still don't imagine through what way I went home

Submitted by Rinaa on Thu, 20/08/2020 - 21:43

When I was 8 years old, while I was jumping from sofa to sofa and I fell and I broke my arm in two pieces. I stayed in the hospital for the injured arm 10 days, and also I had a small surgery for fracture, After that every time when the weather change, I feel pain in my arm.

Submitted by Bella29 on Tue, 11/08/2020 - 09:35

Yes, several weeks ago when I was trying to turn left at the corner of a road, I saw an old lady riding towards me, it was a very short distance, that I felt too afraid to control my bike, as a result, I fell off and bumped my knee while the lady luckily succeeded to stop. Fortunately, my hurt was not serious.

Submitted by hninhninayekyu on Thu, 06/08/2020 - 15:52

When I was about nine-year-old, I fell from a ladder and my right arm was injured. I cried out and my parents took me to the clinic. We came to know that my forearm bone was broken and my arm kept immobile with a splint for one month. I was very lucky that I can move it at all joints without limitation after that.
Profile picture for user Monserrat HES

Submitted by Monserrat HES on Wed, 05/08/2020 - 00:33

oh! Just now. But, really I don't have my leg broke, but my leg isn't good. Fifteen years ago, I fall down from stairs. :(

Submitted by Tambur on Tue, 04/08/2020 - 11:00

I never haven't broken arm or leg. But once time I fell with big tree and my body became blue

Submitted by Hussein Alattas on Sun, 02/08/2020 - 15:52

Once upon a time while i'm playing football i obstructed and fell in the ground but the good thing, just my right arm broken. so the answer is yes i have.

Submitted by Andy_lotr on Thu, 30/07/2020 - 19:32

Until now l've never broken any leg or arm. I think it must cause a lot of pain! My gramma broked her leg once and the healing process was tough; I believe the elderly are the most succeptable to fall and have a fracture.
Profile picture for user Ivanox76

Submitted by Ivanox76 on Wed, 29/07/2020 - 21:30

When I was child, once I was driving my bicycle, I lost the control of it and suddenly I was on the floor. both my wrists were broken, y I ended crying.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Fri, 24/07/2020 - 15:42

I've never broken any legs or arm. Good for me )) But once I hurt my leg really badly. I happened in winter when I went skiing in the Carpathian mountains. We were there with my future wife (that was her first time on the ski), the weather wasn't good - too few snow. During the descent, I got caught on something and dramatically fell. My leg was almost broken (happily just almost but not completely). It became deep blue and swell that big. I spent about a month at home recovering and my leg continued to hurt for long three or four months.

Submitted by Phan Bao Dung on Tue, 21/07/2020 - 18:40

No, I haven't. But I think it will really hurt if my leg or arm is broken.

Submitted by Min Htet Kaung on Sun, 19/07/2020 - 15:54

In this conversation, I don't understand what Bob said. He said, "I wish I was, Noalia”.If it is translated directly, the meaning is different from the context.

Hello Min Htet Kaung,

What Bob means is 'I wish I was joking'. This is a common way of saying 'I wish that it wasn't true' -- Bob wishes that it wasn't true that he broke his leg.

Does that make more sense now?

Submitted by Asni on Sat, 18/07/2020 - 11:57

I broke my toe in the gym once. During a speed training excercise, my foot was stuck in between the mat tiles and I broke my toe. I couldn't put up with the pain. It was so strong. I hope it will never happen again!

Submitted by sofaraway on Thu, 09/07/2020 - 14:43

I've broken my finger when I was on the beach, the sea was rough and I jumped into the water and a strong wave threw me on the cliff.

Submitted by Suellen Esteves on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 21:03

I broke my leg when I was pregnant. Imagine that, a pregnant woman and her big belly with a broken leg. It was terrible.

Submitted by Usama nasir on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 18:45

I need a partner for a fix routine.

Submitted by abudo93 on Fri, 03/07/2020 - 09:30

Yes, that happened to me when was in fifth old, I was playing with neighbor's children we were jump into a hole that have been dug it to plant a Palm then after that in one of my jumps my left leg was broken.

Submitted by abudo93 on Thu, 02/07/2020 - 12:10

Pardon, your videos pretty slowly can you repair that? It's take more time.

Hello abudo93,

I'm sorry about this. Are you able to see other videos (on our site or on other sites) any better? I don't see any problems with the videos on my end.

All the best

Profile picture for user Ivanox76

Submitted by Ivanox76 on Thu, 25/06/2020 - 07:01

Once, when I was driving my car I had an accident, unfortunately I broke one finger, my little index finger. but today I am completely recovered.

Submitted by esrabayarrr on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 22:34

ı have broken my finger 5 years ago. We had play football on the beach and my close friend and me were crashed. Thus my finger broken. Althoug the event is 5 years ago ı feel really bad in cold weather.