An email about a business event
Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and tips and do the exercises.
To: Jonas Schiffer
From: Nina Petrov
Subject: Report on Lumos conference
Thanks for making it possible for me to go to the Lumos conference in London last week. As you know, it is the biggest technology conference in the country and very important to our work.
I learned a lot and I've made some new contacts that will be good for our company. I think we should try to attend the 'Innovation Day' in April as well.
I focused on talks about robotics, as that is our most interesting area at the moment. The presentations on robot 'hands' and robots for hospitals were particularly interesting for us. I'm attaching a detailed report on this new research with some suggestions about how we can use it.
Thanks again for this opportunity. I'm happy to discuss the report further if you're interested.
- Start your email with Dear to make it a little more formal. Hi is informal.
- Give the context at the beginning, e.g. Thanks for … or As you know, …
- Make sure you explain the importance of the event for your company:
I've made some new contacts that will be good for our company.
… were particularly interesting for us.
… with some suggestions about how we can use it.
- Keep your email short. Add an attachment if you have more to say:
I'm attaching …
- You can finish by offering to give more information:
I'm happy to discuss the report further if you're interested.
- You can sign off with Best regards.