Meeting a new team member

Listen to a conversation between two new colleagues to practise your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Peter: Hi, my name's Peter. What's your name?

Carla: Hi, Peter. I'm Carla. I'm new here.

Peter: Welcome to the company, Carla.

Carla: Thanks, Peter. I'm happy to be here and it's nice to meet you.

Peter: It's nice to meet you too.

Carla: Where do you work?

Peter: I work in the design team. We sit over there.

Carla: I'm in the marketing team. I started last week.

Peter: You work in marketing? That's very interesting.

Carla: Yes, it is. I'm enjoying it. But there are a lot of new things to learn.

Peter: I'm sure there are. I'm happy to help you if I can.

Carla: Thank you, Peter. What do you do in the design department?

Peter: I design new products.

Carla: That sounds interesting. I plan marketing events for new products. So I think we'll work together sometimes.

Peter: That would be great. So, where are you from, Carla?

Carla: Brazil. And you?

Peter: I'm from the UK.

Carla: How long have you been here?

Peter: I've worked here for three years but I actually moved here from the UK five years ago, to study.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by AhKhd on Mon, 14/12/2020 - 15:20

I ‘m facing problems on how to write the sentences under the correct speaker. That means when I listen to conversation, I couldn’t understand a whole story in one time.

Submitted by Elplshe on Wed, 09/12/2020 - 12:02

Usually, when I meet someone to first time, i aske her haw are u

Submitted by MJH on Sat, 05/12/2020 - 03:29

I talk about the weather or football. If the conversation is good I like talking about the topic more personal.

Submitted by mrelvinaliyev on Fri, 04/12/2020 - 07:53

When first time I meet with new people I start to ask his or her name and where are from. Then we are talking about other things.

Submitted by m.someah on Tue, 01/12/2020 - 13:48

I usually start a conversation with a stranger about the situation that we are in. As an example, if I was in a crowded bank, I would say that ‘the bank is full of people today’.

Submitted by Sergio1994 on Sat, 28/11/2020 - 16:02

When i meet a new person first introduce myself, then aks what does he/she do at this moment and flow the conversation..

Submitted by luongpq on Wed, 25/11/2020 - 03:23

First of all, Definitely is questions about information such as name, age, ... Then, You can talk about your hobbies, your department, and ask the same thing with your new friend. You also exchange the phone number, facebook or information about social network together.

Submitted by hasan.kumek on Sun, 22/11/2020 - 19:37

I ask what do you do.

Submitted by Diallo on Wed, 18/11/2020 - 21:51

When I meet a new friend I ask him/her : what his/her name?..

Submitted by Nurieta on Thu, 05/11/2020 - 21:45

When I meet people for the first time, I usually talk about, what he/she does, where is he/she from, where does he/she live ... and lots of things more :)

Submitted by Kaique Machado on Tue, 03/11/2020 - 00:07

Normally I introduce myself and ask to the person what's your name? where are you from? And others questions and then I talk about interesting things

Submitted by Pedro Javier on Sun, 01/11/2020 - 14:09

Usually, when I meet someone, I ask them questions about work, study, likes, dislikes, where she or he is from, everything depends on the person and situation in which we meet ourselves

Submitted by alexiaimogen on Fri, 23/10/2020 - 05:52

Depends on the condition I think. For instance, if we're at the event, I will start to talk about the event/something that they like. The topics are more about things that related to the surroundings.

Submitted by cuba on Fri, 23/10/2020 - 00:43

When i meet a new persone i usually talk about work, music likes or maybe speak about a movie. It depends also the way the conversation takes plce and if the other fellow likes smart conversations.

Submitted by Nway on Wed, 21/10/2020 - 14:22

I usually talk about our names, jobs, hobbies, ask where we live and share our experiences concerning about jobs and hobbies. Invite the home.

Submitted by Carlos Cabrera on Wed, 21/10/2020 - 00:29

I usually talk about the hobbits, work, sports and the other things.

Submitted by GhazalQadriRazvi on Mon, 19/10/2020 - 21:50

I usually ask people their name first, obviously. Then about their whereabouts, like whether they are studying or working.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Sun, 18/10/2020 - 15:49

When I meet new people I ask his/her name, class standard and where he/she from, which University he/she study. I Love meet new people and make new friends. I also involved in social services.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Sun, 18/10/2020 - 11:15

In India, usually when someone meet new people.They ask your name with surname so that people know that your caste and where you live and so many other things. India is a country of diversity.

Submitted by Ugulhan on Wed, 14/10/2020 - 19:02

It depends on the place, where I have met the people. If I will meet due to job opportunities then I will focus on my career field and where I had my graduate degree or what skills do I have?. If it would be on any friend's birthday then I would speak to them informal style. Like my hobby or my favorite music.

Submitted by DEICY on Sun, 11/10/2020 - 16:29

I'm very shy, I prefer that other person introduce me, so I feel more confident

Submitted by fais_4al on Wed, 07/10/2020 - 16:06

well , i would ask their name and where are they from than i would do to the same , then i might ask him or her about their interest , hobby , maybe if we get along together i would ask for weekend plans , well it depends on the situation and the mutual interest .

Submitted by Moon Wathan on Wed, 07/10/2020 - 14:50

for me, I usually ask their name and where are they from. After that which school did they attend? That's all.

Submitted by Hyuka on Fri, 02/10/2020 - 14:47

To me, I usually ask their names and where they are from.

Submitted by habibao.medo on Tue, 29/09/2020 - 18:16

first i ask them about their name ,the stuff they love and what we have in common

Submitted by abdalkreem seaf on Sun, 27/09/2020 - 17:02

I ask him ,her of name ,job, and where are u from

Submitted by elena.polyantseva on Mon, 21/09/2020 - 20:49

I'd been working as hr in a large company for a long time before I went on maternity leave. Meeting people and first talking to them on behalf of the company were my responsibilities. If I have not seen a person before, I asked him to tell about himself, then talked about the company: - about the company profile - about the company's development strategy - about the target market - about existing clients - about the company's products - about the technologies - about the organizational structure - about the corporate portal - about the internal work schedule - about social guarantees - about the traditions of the company meetings. I've always really enjoyed having such meetings.

Submitted by esi on Thu, 17/09/2020 - 19:01

Hi while i meet a new person and we have a little time together firest i ask him/her,"what are you want to do?" and he/she answer and continue and at last we itruduce ourself to each other.

Submitted by marialuisa on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 15:55

we talk about our hobbies and job. I always ask where he or she comes from

Submitted by Pola on Tue, 08/09/2020 - 20:56

When I meet people first time, talking about your name and offer to him a nice joke, then I will start to know for about him .

Submitted by Maria19 on Fri, 04/09/2020 - 08:55

When I meet a person for the first time, I usually ask where he is from, what he is doing in life and if he wants to do what he is doing.

Submitted by ESPERANZA MARINO on Tue, 01/09/2020 - 20:45

Usually, when I meet people for the first time, I talk about my family, my country, my last job. Also, I talk my interests.

Submitted by Faheem Khan on Fri, 28/08/2020 - 03:20

first of all when i meet with someone new i will ask about it mean that how he/she feels here and then ask about name, country, hobbies and about works and what they are like and dislikes.
Profile picture for user shelly

Submitted by shelly on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 09:02

When I first met my collegue, I introduced myself about my title and my responsibility of my job. Also I asked her/him about her/his status of job title, hobbies or department.

Submitted by Sheyla on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 07:11

I usually talk about nationality, work and hobbies.

Submitted by Hamad Osman on Fri, 21/08/2020 - 08:49

It's to nice But I couldn't download it

Hi Hamad Osman,

If you're using a computer, try clicking on the audio with the right button. You should see a 'Save audio' option. Clicking on this will let you download it.

I hope that works for you. Let us know :)

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, I listened a lot audio on this page, but i don't know how to download it Thank so much :)

Submitted by HeinHtetKyaw on Wed, 12/08/2020 - 00:56

I met people the first time I usually ask for Name and introduce myself

Submitted by MARIANO_HB on Tue, 11/08/2020 - 21:30

When I meet a new person I usually ask him/her where are he/she from?, what is his/her profession? Position in the company, what does he/she like? etc
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Tue, 11/08/2020 - 14:44

It's strange that I'm often talked by people whom I meet for the first time in a new place. One day I heard that it seemed that I looked as if I had been there for a long time... Does this mean that I'm a sort of a laid-back?! :|

Submitted by camiladmelo on Mon, 10/08/2020 - 22:57

Actually i'm very shy, but depends about the location that I am. If I meet a new person at work, I talk about work (what the person do at the company, how long the person is working there... thinks like that) and If I meet a new person the a bar, I prefer to know about the person's life, about the dreams, the places that she/he already visited, and so on.

Submitted by ErichPD on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 16:59

If I know someone at work, who is just joining the company, first I introduce myself and tell him what I work for, then I ask him his name, I ask him when he joined and what his work team will be, then I offer him help in case you need support, in something that I know of. I try not to be impertinent, so as not to put the person in an uncomfortable situation, always maintaining formality and camaraderie.

Submitted by Phan Bao Dung on Tue, 28/07/2020 - 17:39

I usually talk about their hometown, current job, and hobbies.

Submitted by Mai Khin Nway Shein on Tue, 28/07/2020 - 10:48

I usually talk about where I am from, where do I work and what I am interested when I meet new people. I'm not interested in other people personality and I also hate who ask about myself.

Submitted by Alifaraax on Wed, 22/07/2020 - 16:54

I talk a lot of things but in most of time time i talk about science subjects such geology ,environmental science and I also talk about politics.

Submitted by I am on Wed, 22/07/2020 - 07:46

I tend to seek a common interest and speak about life, new interesting events , share my experience and emotion about travelling, books, music. If i meet colleagues or specialists in my professional sphere we talk about work, related issues and achievements. But more important is to hear your companion.

Submitted by Ahmad_Khalil on Tue, 21/07/2020 - 10:39

Usually, I introduce my self and my colleagues to him/her, asking him if he needs any help, asking him about his past experience in the field of work, and does he find the new place.

Submitted by Miri85 on Sun, 19/07/2020 - 16:05

Well, I suppose that depends with which person I´ll speak to. Probably about its origin, work and family.

Submitted by syah on Sun, 19/07/2020 - 12:31

When I meet new people, I ask their name first and where they come from. Then, after I introduce myself, I talk about several things according to the situation.