A morning briefing

Listen to a morning briefing to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Hi, everyone. I know you're all busy so I'll keep this briefing quick. I have some important information about a change in the management team. As you already know, our head of department, James Watson, is leaving his position at the end of this week. His replacement is starting at the end of the next month. In the meantime, we'll continue with our projects as usual.

I have two more quick points. Firstly, there will be some improvements made to the staff car park next month for a few weeks. It will be closed during that time.

Don't worry, we've found a solution. We can use the local church car park until our own one is ready. If you arrive before 8.30 a.m., please use our small car park on Brown Street, and if you arrive after that, you should go directly to the church car park. It's only a five-minute walk away. But they need it in the evenings, so you have to leave before 6 p.m. Sorry about that – I know how much you all love working late!

The other thing I wanted to tell you about is that the canteen has now introduced a cashless payment system. So, you can't use cash for payments any more. You can pay directly with your smartphone or you can pay using your company ID card. The total amount put on your company ID card comes off your salary at the end of each month.

OK. That's it? Are there any questions?

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

A2 English level (pre-intermediate)

Submitted by m-8808736 on Sun, 08/11/2020 - 03:00

Thank you and nice !

Submitted by cocof1b2 on Sat, 07/11/2020 - 14:26

Sometimes, I have to give information and instructions to workmates, if your manager ask to do sometings, just to do it , don't worry about it is wrong or right.

Submitted by yusra on Wed, 28/10/2020 - 05:11

Our instructor at University gives us some information and instruction on the discussion assignment. That information and instruction about when we should complete our assignment and what we should write in it.

Submitted by Pola on Sun, 25/10/2020 - 16:42

When I was working the sales manager at duty free I gave more information and instructions for beginners at work so I everyday I had been directing for keeping this work in a best .

Submitted by Dong on Sun, 25/10/2020 - 01:57

hello. May I ask a question? I see the answer of question 5 in Tast 1 is that True. “ There will be no parking after 6 p.m.”. I though it is false since I've only heard "church's car park" will be use after 6 pm. Does it mean the other one that small car park on Brown Street still can park their car ?

Hello Dong,

I think you are right about this. As you say, these people cannot use the church car park after 6 p.m., but the small car park on Brown Street should still be available.

I've made a note for us to fix this. Thanks very much for taking the time to point this out to us, and I'm sorry for the confusion!

Submitted by lyn38082 on Wed, 21/10/2020 - 13:33

I gave some information and instruction for my class. At my team's presentation, I give some information about our environment which is polluted and then I give some solution about the matter to protect our life.
Profile picture for user Ana Luisa Sanchez Arroyo

Submitted by Ana Luisa Sanc… on Tue, 20/10/2020 - 23:50

Every day , I have to give some information, because I am a consultant of some process solutions, especific in IT solutions. and regulary I receipt the instructions for what I have to do at programming level.

Submitted by GhazalQadriRazvi on Mon, 19/10/2020 - 22:43

As a teacher I give instructions to my students about the lesson plans everyday and I also get tha information and instructions from the Head Teacher as well

Submitted by Ruby on Sat, 17/10/2020 - 08:25

All of us everyday giving instruction or/and information to someone. I hope I will give instructions to my employees in mine company in the future :)

Submitted by Mostafa ahmed on Sat, 17/10/2020 - 01:12

I wish I can be ahead master in my company after few month it's good feel to give information and instruction to the co-work whose work below you

Submitted by Mahmoud yassin on Fri, 16/10/2020 - 19:43

its very nice

Submitted by Ugulhan on Thu, 15/10/2020 - 08:29

I wish that I would be a leader as a technical writer department, and then I would give some instructions to my co-workers in team.

Submitted by Moon Wathan on Mon, 12/10/2020 - 07:11

As I am a teacher, I always give the instruction to my children such as sit down nicely, be quiet, listen carefully, listen to me. After that I often give the information them about the exam or taking something from your home etc.....

Submitted by Cavadova on Sat, 10/10/2020 - 12:22

I understand but I do not understand how this will help me?

Hello Cavadova,

The idea behinds the discussion questions is that they give an chance to practise using English, especially if you try to have an online 'conversation' with other users.

Submitted by Thet Tun Oo on Tue, 06/10/2020 - 05:47

I don't understand exactly

Hello Thet Tun Oo,

I would suggest you read the transcript while you listen. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask us for help here.

Submitted by habibao.medo on Sat, 03/10/2020 - 20:35

I give instructions to my brothers, about how to clean the house when i am going out that the last thing i remember

Submitted by MERCUSYS_DE52 on Tue, 29/09/2020 - 09:11

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ez

Submitted by learningenglish on Sun, 27/09/2020 - 11:36

Hi, this is Badr. I am having a bit of trouble in attempting the task 2. As you can see, there are six phrases given and we are required to put the phrases in accordance with the spaces given below. At one time, I can only put two phrases in each of the spaces, and then there is the option of finish the task. My question is how can I solve other remaining phrases?

Hello Badr,

When you want to add another sentence to a group, you have to click or press on the small white hand at the side of the words already in the box. If you don't do this, then the new words will stay but the old words will disappear from the box.

It's a little difficult to explain, so please let me know if you'd like me to explain it again.

Hope this helps.

Submitted by Thinthinmyoe on Wed, 23/09/2020 - 05:36

Hi, every guys.l cannot search the audio file to listen.Please help me.

Hi Thinthinmyoe,

I assume you mean that you cannot find the audio file. It should be visible as a light grey box between the Preparation and Transcript sections.

If you can't see it then please try accessing the page on a different device, preferably not a mobile device. That may help.

Submitted by AfraaMoualla on Sun, 20/09/2020 - 19:19

In my position as marketing manger i usually give instructions and information to the team members i responsible to. I brief them about how to complete their tasks perfectly.

Submitted by d'avino rosa on Sun, 20/09/2020 - 15:53

I 'm a teacher and I give instructions or information to my students.For example I give them information on school trips , information that will be reported to their parents. The instructions I usually give them are about their homework.
Profile picture for user Maha Eltayeb

Submitted by Maha Eltayeb on Fri, 18/09/2020 - 11:27

Thank you very much This help me to imrope my languge
Profile picture for user shelly

Submitted by shelly on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 02:40

Hello, boys and girls. Please be quiet. I have some important information to announce. Before starting I want to congratulate everyone for your one year older, and we are steeping into a new school year. I believe you must be very happy. Well, firstly, we are going to welcome our new friend, Sabina. She will be a member of us from now on. I believe she will be very happy with you all, am I right? Also who want to sit beside her? Thank you, Leven, you always so friendly. The other thing I want to tell you about is we are moving to another building for our next semester study. This means you will have you own table and should act like a primary student. This semester could be considered as a better adaptation for your primary school. Ok, that's it. Hope you are happy everyday here.

Submitted by zozo on Thu, 10/09/2020 - 13:25

i would give instruction to my doughter to keep clean and pack her toys always and the bed time is about 9 p.m wake up early eat healty be kind and don't speak to strangers.

Submitted by HeinHtetKyaw on Thu, 27/08/2020 - 17:19

One of my instructions to give my brother is Please, be discipline in home.

Submitted by biso01 on Tue, 25/08/2020 - 14:02

usually i give instructions to my employees in my company for discipline in the company and the instructions are about the smoking, clients treating and the relation between the employees. and i give information to employees also to facilitate their duties and i give information to my clients about my products and its advantages.

Submitted by tubomiubeo on Wed, 19/08/2020 - 08:53

I've done and correct all

Submitted by Mati on Wed, 19/08/2020 - 06:01

This listening look like easy task, so sir is your site update, if it is updating in how long you are updating the listening part?

Hi Mati,

Yes, this is quite a new listening page. This listening is at A2 (pre-intermediate) level, so you might like to try a higher level (B1 or higher) to find the right difficulty for you.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Submitted by syah on Tue, 18/08/2020 - 14:47

I usually give information and instruction to my friends in the school when we have group project. I also often give information to my friends about some competitions because some of my friends are very enthusiastic in participating in the competition.

Submitted by MARIANO_HB on Wed, 12/08/2020 - 01:53

You usually should give instructions or information when you are a lider or manager for any project frequently.

Submitted by maricrus on Tue, 11/08/2020 - 00:00

Hi! Thank you so much for making these great resources available to all of us. Kudos to you! I just have a quick question: I am not able to complete task 2. Every time I click on an option to put it in the right category, that one goes right back to the list when I choose the next one. Am I doing anything wrong? Could you help me understand how it works, please? Thanks in advance.

Hi maricrus,

Thanks for your kind comment!

To do this task, after you click on one of the sentences, then click the top of the group that it belongs to – on the dark grey bar that says 'Giving information' or 'Giving instructions'.

If you click on a sentence that is already in the group, it will replace that sentence.

Try it and I hope that works.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Thank you very much for your prompt reply, Jonathan. Perfect! It worked! Best wishes to all of you!

Submitted by Tambur on Mon, 10/08/2020 - 17:46

Good evening! I have to give some information and instruction my children about how to cross road, when they go to school and go to play with other children.

Submitted by DrakonBZ on Sat, 08/08/2020 - 06:06

Usually, I give instructions to my friends during study group in high school. They need to revise the lessons they gained during the year for the final exam of the year. I often give them tips to help them with their studies.

Submitted by Bella29 on Tue, 04/08/2020 - 21:09

I used to give information and instructions to my little son, he will be three years old soon, and starts wondering about the world. I need to answer his questions about different things. Meanwhile, I should give him some instructions about brushing his teeth as well as avoiding accidents.

Submitted by Rinaa on Sat, 01/08/2020 - 17:30

I have to give information and instruction to my nephew. He is 6 years old and curious to know everything around. My sister put me on a charge, to help her with her son, because she is fully committed to her job and she asked me if I can spend some of my spare time, helping my nephew learning new things. So every day I give him new information about cartoons, podcasts, toys, fairytales and things that surround us. Also, I give him instruction on how to complete his house chores each day, and how to take care after his teeth.

Submitted by Phan Bao Dung on Wed, 29/07/2020 - 17:55

I have to give information and instructions to my mom about the way she catches the bus from her home to the city center. For young people, this is easy but not for older ones. So I have to instruct her carefully.