An email from a friend

Read an email about plans for the weekend to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text

Hi Samia,

Just a quick email to say that sounds like a great idea. Saturday is better for me because I'm meeting my parents on Sunday. So if that's still good for you, why don't you come here? Then you can see the new flat and all the work we've done on the kitchen since we moved in. We can eat at home and then go for a walk in the afternoon. It's going to be so good to catch up finally. I want to hear all about your new job!

Our address is 52 Charles Road, but it's a bit difficult to find because the house numbers are really strange here. If you turn left at the post office and keep going past the big white house on Charles Road, there's a small side street behind it with the houses 50–56 in. Don't ask me why the side street doesn't have a different name! But call me if you get lost and I'll come and get you.

Let me know if there's anything you do/don't like to eat. Really looking forward to seeing you!

See you soon!

Gregor

Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

A2 English level (pre-intermediate)
Profile picture for user Ana Luisa Sanchez Arroyo

Submitted by Ana Luisa Sanc… on Thu, 05/11/2020 - 00:21

I like call by phone to my friends before any plans to do, we arrange the schedule and place meet , and we confirm by message at phone some details like adress, or to give some instructions.

Submitted by Pola on Sat, 31/10/2020 - 15:20

I'm always use a massager, what's up or calling direct to make a plan , I don't use the email with my friends.

Submitted by Asni on Wed, 28/10/2020 - 22:10

No, I usually don't use email for that purpose...However, it happened that my phone got broken down so I just used my email instead.

Submitted by alexiaimogen on Fri, 23/10/2020 - 06:10

I used SNS mostly.

Submitted by Moon Wathan on Mon, 12/10/2020 - 15:32

I usually make the plans with friends by calling her. I don't use email everywhere.

Submitted by Lilly098 on Thu, 08/10/2020 - 04:47

Hi there. Can anyone help me??? I want to know why Task (1) - 2. "Gregor is going to make lunch." is truth. In Gregors email, he mentioned that they can have lunch at home and asked his friend if there's anything he can't eat. However, he did not clearly state that he is going to cook. Im so confused. He may order some food from delivery service....... It would be highly appreciate if someone help me understand. Thank you so much! (TT)

Hello Lilly098,

Gregor does not say directly that he is going to cook, so there is some interpretation here, I agree. However, I think if a person says 'we can eat at home' then it generally means that they are planning to cook or make something. If they intended to get something delivered, then they would probably ask what kind of food the person liked (Italian, Chinese etc) rather than asking if there was something they could not eat.

Submitted by shawn peter ru… on Sun, 04/10/2020 - 06:24

i haven't used email ever for making plan with others.but i think email is very good to having contact with your university and i always use this way to communicate with university
Profile picture for user shelly

Submitted by shelly on Tue, 22/09/2020 - 04:43

I perfer to use social Apps like whatsup, wechat to make plans with my friends. But if the plans related to my job with my clients or colleagues, I would like to email them as it is more formal.

Submitted by anwarrasool on Fri, 18/09/2020 - 09:28

Dear sir I have a few doubts and would like you to explain to me if possible. In preparation section, how the question ”That SOUNDS LIKE a good idea.” can replace with ”is” In task 1 why they question number three answer is True. Sincerely
Profile picture for user Kirk

Submitted by Kirk on Fri, 18/09/2020 - 13:56

In reply to by anwarrasool

Hello anwarrasool,

'That sounds like a good idea' is another way of saying 'I think that is a good idea'. In other words, 'sounds like' doesn't refer to sounds -- it refers to how we feel about an idea. You can see more examples in this 'sound2' dictionary entry -- be sure to go about halfway down the page.

When Gregor says 'It's going to be so good to catch up finally', this is a good indication that it has been a long time since he has seen Samia.

Submitted by Priyazmi on Mon, 14/09/2020 - 03:50

I make plans with my friends by using messages or social network ,but i do use email sometimes

Submitted by Roblox on Sun, 06/09/2020 - 15:49

I do make a plan with friends by email. It was easy and handy.

Submitted by Mati on Sat, 15/08/2020 - 07:24

Actually, for the purpose of inviting for some formal meeting we are using email but, for the purpose informal like inviting friends we prefer to use some other social medias like: whats app, Messenger and so on .......

Submitted by Tambur on Fri, 14/08/2020 - 07:38

Usually I don't use email to make plans with my friends, I prefer use Whatsapp and social networking. I use email for work and to send official letters.

Submitted by Gilmar Anuncia… on Thu, 06/08/2020 - 05:46

Excelente.
Profile picture for user Monserrat HES

Submitted by Monserrat HES on Mon, 27/07/2020 - 21:59

When I make plans with my friends , I use whatsapp group. Its easier than email. I use email for another conversations, for example, between my boss and me.

Submitted by Bekhruz on Sat, 18/07/2020 - 17:28

No, i don't usu e-mail often. I mostly i use telegramm, instagram or skype for making plans

Submitted by Suellen Esteves on Thu, 16/07/2020 - 16:51

I don't use e-mail to make plans with my friends, I prefer the Whatssap App.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Mon, 13/07/2020 - 09:32

I think email is a more formal way to communicate with people. I even would like to say we usually use emails at work, not with our friends. You use email to arrange a meeting with your colleagues, to send or receive work information, to make a group lettering with other departments or so. But it's an odd way to make plans with your friends about hanging out in the local pub tonight. Phone calls or messages are the better choice in this case.

Submitted by Maria C on Sat, 11/07/2020 - 14:29

I prefer to make plans by phone or through some social network, however I rarely make plans by email and I start by greeting the person, commenting the last time we saw each other, saying why I would like to see him again, I put other means of contact (phone number, social network) and I say goodbye asking for an answer.

Submitted by Rapershi on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 19:07

when i plan to meet my friends i dont writing email to them. I use the whatsap.I think it is easier than emailing for cominicaiton.

Submitted by Mahmudul_Tanim on Fri, 03/07/2020 - 16:46

Basically, I don’t use to make any plans with friends. I prefer phone call or what's app to make any plans. I think It's a better way than e-mail. As a student I use e-mail send educational paper or any important documents to teachers or any others.
yes me too , I never tell any plans when we talk each other on facing, because you need to consider which is best plan or time to tell them ,and make appointment for time . I don't want to waste time to waiting people.

Submitted by sillymom on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 21:56

I make up plans by LINE or in person or on the phone.I used to exchange Email with my friends who lives far around 2000.(Don't try guess my age LOL)BTW I started listened songs from 1990-2000.for me it's THE BEST!

Submitted by Seina Tsuchiya on Sat, 27/06/2020 - 09:30

I don't use e-mail now, but I used to use it with my friends who don't use LINE. I usually use LINE when I make plans with my friends. With it, I can connect conversations at a good tempo. Since the mail doesn't have the read mark, I'm worried whether it is transmitted to my friends. Also, I sometimes talk on the phone when they and I have time to spare.

Submitted by Farshad on Thu, 18/06/2020 - 21:18

I’m wakened by this imagination that plan a date with my friends. But then I remember the situation: covid 19! I can get quiet annoyed with the news of Coronavirus.

Submitted by Re on Sat, 13/06/2020 - 14:44

I always use LINE When I make plans with my friends. I decide at what time and where to meet, also what you're going to eat as well. At that time, send photos of places and restaurants I want to hang out and decide. LINE is extremely well because I can send photos and a map so I am easy to make plans. From these kids of reasons, LINE is easier to use for me than other ways.

Submitted by Dilnoza Sulaymonova on Fri, 12/06/2020 - 08:12

Submitted by Suzuha on Mon, 08/06/2020 - 06:20

I use LINE to make plans with friends, because we can send menus of a restaurant where we will go or share the map. And also it can remind me the plan. It is perfect application for me who is forgettable.

Submitted by fukuzawa on Mon, 08/06/2020 - 04:35

First of all, I will talk about the places I want to go.Next, decide the date and time.I use LINE app instead of email.

Submitted by Mirei Honda on Mon, 08/06/2020 - 03:04

I often use LINE and phone when making plans with my friends. If you have time to play, use your phone to plan slowly. If you don't have time, make a plan easily with LINE. It is easy to read the feelings of the other person on the phone. LINE can also feel free to send messages. You can also express your emotions with emoji and stamps.However, when traveling or going out, meet once and make detailed plans together.

Submitted by Yuki on Sun, 07/06/2020 - 16:55

I make plans by LINE. Because it's very useful for me. This app makes it easy to get in touch with my friends wherever I am, and I can even call when my friends don't notice the message I sent. So, I use LINE when I make plans with friends.

Submitted by Maiko Tanzawa on Sun, 07/06/2020 - 06:46

I use LINE and phone to make plans with my friends. the former is used when I'm not in a hurry and the letter is when I have to make a decision quickly. First of all, start with conversation such as "I want to meet soon", then check the days when everyone is vacant and decide the date to meet, then decide want to do on that day and where to go.

Submitted by Tsuyoshi watanabe on Sun, 07/06/2020 - 04:20

I have two ways to make plans with friends. The first is when planning with good friends. I often feel like playing game or having lunch with my friends suddenly and then I invite good friends. In that case I often talk to them even if the plan isn’t made specifically. The second is when planning with friends I'm not close with. In that case I don’t for the purpose of playing but for getting close to them. I invite them after making plans. The difference between the two is whether I make plans with friends or alone. I cherish good friends who I needn't very care for, and It is also important to have energy to make plans alone.

Submitted by Akemi Matsumoto on Sat, 06/06/2020 - 16:32

When I want to make plans with a friend, I always use LINE. I think most of people living in japan use this application. That's because I think LINE is the easiest application to use. In LINE, you can easily add contacts by the telephone directory or just get the other person's QR code. Also, because I think using stamps we can have a better communication. I hope things goes better so that I can make plans with friends and go out somewhere.

Submitted by Hiyori Ueno on Thu, 04/06/2020 - 18:20

I often use LINE to make plans with my friends. There are two reasons. First, LINE is really useful app. If you use LINE, you can send pictures and videos easily. So, I send pictures about place where I want to go, and ask my friends. Second, LINE is easier to read than email. LINE can be used like talking. So I use it easy.

Submitted by Shoma Tateishi on Thu, 04/06/2020 - 17:38

when I make plans with my friends, I use these features to set dates,places and times with my friends every time. I often use LINE and calls.I can send messages, stamps and photos on LINE. On the other hand, the call can be dealt with immediately with person.I think both have their advantages.LINE can always check the past talk history on the talk screen.Calls are actually conversations,so it's easy to get in touch.I tend to use LINE and call depending on the situation.

Submitted by Natsumi Tamura on Wed, 03/06/2020 - 14:30

I usually make plans with my friends by LINE.Making plans by phone is a lot of fun because you can talk in voice, but I tend to forget the schedule of when, where, what time etc. Therefore, I think LINE is more suitable for me because it keeps a history of conversations. However, when contacting us on the day, I will use the phone because it can contact us faster than by e-mail. So I think it’s good to use LINE or phone depending on the situation

Submitted by R on Tue, 02/06/2020 - 16:40

When I make plans with my friends, I always send "Why don't you play?". Then decide on a date and find a plan for the place we want to go. We usually find popular places on Instagram. But I often have my friends decide the place because I'm an indecisive person. On the other hand, I haven't seen friends for a long time these days. So, around this time, I listen to the voices of my friends on the phone and make plans. Make a plan with the image that we will be able to go out freely.

Submitted by Noyama Juri on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 17:52

Hello.I use Line and phone to make plans with my friends.Because Line can be contacted at any time and is easy to use.But sometimes it's hard to get in touch or to feel bad. At that time I make up phone calls.They are very convenient.and it becomes easier to convey your feelings by listening to the voice of the other person. Also even if say to make a plan. I think it's important to think of an action plan for the day. If you don't do that. your day will be wasted. I use Line and phone when planning based on these things.

Submitted by Kaho Dokko on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 07:04

When I make plans with my friend by email, I often send an email like "How's it going?" or "Long time no see." to friend who I want to meet.Then, I start normal conversation.Next, I invite the friend to hang out.Also, we decide what we do, date, meeting time and meeting point.

Submitted by wido on Tue, 26/05/2020 - 13:57

When I want to see my friend , I start to call them and make plans with them to go outside or to come to my house and make a small party, It's very nice, we dance and chat all night.

Submitted by Risa on Tue, 26/05/2020 - 12:39

When I make plan with my friends, we always decide the date first. I always make plans when I go out with friends. I like plan a schedule in detail. We usually talk about where want go and what want to do. I'm happy just to make plans, that is my source of happiness. Most of our plans is decide through conversation, the rest of plans is through LINE. It is so easy and we can check our details of plans, when we are get in touch with friends through LINE.

Submitted by Ryusei Nagashima on Tue, 26/05/2020 - 06:52

I almost make plans with my friends by LINE. Sometimes, I use a telephone call. Because, LINE is easy for me to send messages. For example, We can send stamps to friends by LINE. So, We don’t have to take the trouble to type characters every time. But, Message text like LINE is difficult to understand friends feelings. In that case, I call friends.

Submitted by Anna Nakamura on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 12:16

I always make plans with friends by LINE. Using this, we can send short messages quickly. So we discuss what we do, when we meet, where we go by using it. I think it is more useful than E-mail. LINE enables us to communicate with each other so easier. But In other situation, for example, I want to tell something that is important or emergency, I use calling. I think the best way to tell important thing is communicating directly with my voice. So when I have something important to tell, I use calling. Calling is more fun than sending message.

Submitted by Naru Yasuda on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 10:17

When I make a plan with my friend, I decide date at first. Second, we decide where to go. Why I want to decide date at first, because it would have a regular crossing day or event. And if we do not match free day, we cannot hung out. I want to make plan to talk friends, but I decide message more. Because it can see a lot of information and how to access. We can find where we want to go. And message can see talk until now. So I do not forget date, time and where to go.

Submitted by Saria Muraoka on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 10:05

When I make plans with my friends, I decide number of people first. Then I propose a place considering the friend's character and number of people. If I decide date and time, I just wait for the day. I always use LINE to make plans with my friends. However, sometimes I don't plan perfectly. This is when I suddenly want to play. What I want to do that day with friends who have free time. It's good to plan completely , but it's fun to playing without plans. Whether I have plan or not, who to play with is the most important things.

Submitted by Yonemura Tomoya on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 09:10

When I make plans with friends by email, I am careful not to misunderstand. Friend may misunderstand if we don't tell in detail, so We must tell our friends detail about place , date and meeting time. If I use the train to go to the meeting place, I look up the train schedule and send my friend it. By doing so, meeting on the day is easy.