An email request for help

Read an email asking for help from another department to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text
Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

B1 English level (intermediate)

Submitted by khalid muhammed on Mon, 04/07/2022 - 18:14

When asking for help the reason for asking for help is necessary, so the person you asked shouldn't feel as if you escape from your responsibilities, also you have to ask politely and to consider the time of the person you ask.

Submitted by Selinay. on Wed, 15/06/2022 - 15:40

If Sales Department has a presentation about the perfume, this can be include in an email. Thus, other person has a idea. But i understood and couldn't see necessary problem with form of this e-mail.

Submitted by jyoti Chaudhary on Sun, 29/05/2022 - 12:47

What should you include in an email asking for help?
I include a simple line like this I need a favor and I would like to know how to sell and make yourself this perfuse. can you tell me as soon as possible? I shouldn't give your more time.

Submitted by EngTech on Wed, 18/05/2022 - 03:27

explaining the issue briefly will help the recipient know about what they need to be prepared if any meeting will come up.

Submitted by SIVASANKARI D on Tue, 17/05/2022 - 16:50

i understood from the mail it is we have to ask a solution for the problem.

Submitted by Amoon_96 on Thu, 12/05/2022 - 10:03

I want to edit and introduce our company and add more details about the product description.

Submitted by Khin_Burmese on Sat, 02/04/2022 - 16:59

For this kind of email, I would describe the problem at first, and I would like to add more details on the reason why I need help from him/her properly and how I would appreciate him/her help so that he/she would consider to give a hand.

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Wed, 03/11/2021 - 09:18

i think if you want to write an email asking for help, in email you should include your problems, why do you write this email?, What do you need their help with?, let them know what do they need to do?, give time and date and Let them know how important they are.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Sun, 17/10/2021 - 09:53

An email for request should include brief summary of help, description of work what do you need, and last thank you.

Submitted by Dariusz on Sat, 14/08/2021 - 11:50

That email should include: a recipient whose we're asking for help, topic, description of the request with needed information and at the end should contain thanks and signature
Profile picture for user iEdd

Submitted by iEdd on Mon, 19/07/2021 - 22:27

I should maybe include the issue in more detail, what important the help would be, the role the person would have and finally a deep thanks.

Submitted by Marilyncc on Thu, 01/07/2021 - 06:34

An email for asking help should include a brief and appropriate greeting. Then you should explain in a concise and clear way your reasons why you're asking for help. if you need to meet someone you must include a flexible time to request if the person is a available at that moment and finally you also have to thank them in advance and sing the email.

Submitted by GiulianaAndy on Tue, 22/06/2021 - 19:54

I should include first the name of the person who I need help from, then I need to add the request in a formal style. I need to get to the point, so for example here I have a request that I wrote at my job: Hello dear Laura. This is to inform you that the marketing area needs some help from you. To follow up on our afternoon meeting we need you to help you with the design of the new advertisement for the our new product. Could you let me know if you have some free time on this Thursday?. Best regards, Giuliana Rodriguez. Head of marketing area.

Submitted by GabrielaE on Fri, 11/06/2021 - 18:10

First, the email should introduce the subject. Second, I think a good way to help more to James, will be telling him what is the problem they are facing, so he could be more into what is happening, and of course telling him if I wants to be part of that project because Sarah is not even asking him. Third, if he wants to be part, tell how long will get the meeting. Fourth, maybe saying bye or thanks for the favor would be nice.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Tue, 11/05/2021 - 12:50

Gratitude, of course.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Tue, 11/05/2021 - 10:05

Firstly we would include what's the problem we face,then brief introduction about our product. Asking help from other, our words should be simple, concise and polite.

Submitted by Frank Cuello on Mon, 29/03/2021 - 20:43

When you are planning to contact someone for guidance it's crucial to write precisely and clear the problem, therefore they can help in a more efficient way.

Submitted by Ibrahim24 on Sun, 21/03/2021 - 14:57

Firstly, I would include the problem and I would clearly show the person that I am writing for his/her capacity to help me out in my problem. Secondly, I would kindly request, and trying to facilitate the person job by offering any steps should be taken from my side such as writing a request permission from the person's boss.

Submitted by YED on Thu, 18/03/2021 - 20:56

The head of the product design department ask her collegue, who works forthe sale department, if he can help to finalize the packaging of the new perfume. This is great if collegues of different departments can help eachother!
Profile picture for user Maria Andrea

Submitted by Maria Andrea on Sat, 27/02/2021 - 01:32

Fist I think the subject of the mail. second, the greeting to whom the email is addressed. third, formal and polite language fourth, the farewell to the mail. fifth, email signature

Submitted by Abrarhussain on Sun, 14/02/2021 - 12:13

In an email asking for help I would firstly include my reason for help, secondly I would mention the skills the individual has that would benefit me. Thirdly I would request their availability, and thank them in advance.

Submitted by AulianFr on Mon, 08/02/2021 - 16:20

An email intended to ask for help should consist of necessary things that are concise and straight forward. First, you have to introduce yourself properly. Then, you have to explain the reason why you send the email. Explain to the receiver your intention and why you chose them in order to help you. If there is a specific time in which you need their help, state the precise time and ask them whether they are available at that time. You also have to compliment and thank them to be polite

Submitted by Andrea Valencia on Sun, 07/02/2021 - 15:25

I should think to began firts with the subjet, second with a greeting to the person. Then I would explain the details of the juob and ask for help on what t I need. finally I say goodbye with cordiality.

Submitted by Asni on Wed, 20/01/2021 - 00:15

Firstly, the email should introduce the task, project or assignment we need help with. Then, the reason why we're asking them for help and what kind of help. We should try to be concise and specific so that they know exactly what we need from them, because based on those details they might be or not available, a 1-hour meeting for advice isn't the same as a 4-hour meeting for research. Also, we should specify when we need it according to our deadline, and ask them for their availability. Finally, thanking and expressing appreciation is always convenient when asking for a favour.

Submitted by Saad786 on Sun, 10/01/2021 - 15:31

I would include the project details when asking for help in order to get more beneficial tips of the helper.

Submitted by Thinn Thiri Myo on Thu, 24/12/2020 - 04:26

I don't understand how to do task2? I do the task2,it's always show wrong.So I correct & check show answers,it's wrong too.What's wrong?I don't know.Plzz,tell me.

Hello Thinn Thiri Myo,

I've checked the task and it appears to be working correctly, including marking correct and incorrect options. Perhaps you are not putting all of the items in order. You can use 'Show answers' to see the key.

Submitted by Thinthinmyoe on Mon, 21/12/2020 - 12:00

I think it will be more convenient using the polite and pleasant usage for the email receiver.So, This one will help your need.

Submitted by DIỄM PHÚC on Mon, 07/12/2020 - 01:27

I think this letter should be the reason the meeting and clearly the contents in letter The tittle "An email request for help" don't suitable with content. If I am the receiver, I feel so hopeless for this email

Submitted by Ehsan on Sun, 29/11/2020 - 08:45

First of all, we should introduce ourselves, our product and our problem generally. Then we should tell the details about our problem and the help he/ she can give us. It is necessary for our email to have polite writing and requesting.

Submitted by David_Tham on Fri, 27/11/2020 - 14:09

I think should include that what is the reason for them help.

Submitted by Dmytro on Thu, 19/11/2020 - 15:27

Asking for help I would send some details in an attachment in order to get a colleague a bit more prepared for the meeting. He could think over some ideas before the meeting and shorten his own and overall time discussing.
Profile picture for user javibuendi

Submitted by javibuendi on Thu, 29/10/2020 - 08:52

Dear British Council maintenance team. I think there is a mistake in the task number 2 related with the order of the sentences. I think "Sarah asks Patricia for permission to use James" should go before "Sarah writes an email to James asking for help". I think it makes more sense this way, because you cannot send an email to an employee asking for help if you don´t have his superior permission. Thanks for all your great work, Javi.

Hello javibuendi,

The order is correct: the email is first and the request for permission is later.

The reason for this is that Sarah wants first to know if James is available. If he is, then she says she will clear it with his boss if necessary. James may say there is no need to talk to Patricia, for example.

Okay Peter, now I understand it better. Thanks for the explanation!

Submitted by Fardhan on Mon, 26/10/2020 - 04:45

I think before we launch a new product, we should first test the packaging and its feasibility, so that other people see it like and are interested in our new product, before launching a new product there is a problem we can ask other people for help, one of them is via email by explaining the problem that occurred on these products, and don't forget to ask the readiness of the people we ask for their help.

Submitted by Lilly098 on Thu, 22/10/2020 - 03:14

I think that proposing some options is the most important when you ask for help; can you please help me with some project on 2pm this Friday or next Friday? In this case, receiver has comfortable to make a decision as they have two options. Just asking for help sometimes may sound rude. So, preparing some choice is essential in my personal experience.

Submitted by habibao.medo on Mon, 19/10/2020 - 10:40

i think we should include the problem after that ask for help next we should mention the time and the date clearly finally thank him and ask him if he could help us

Submitted by Sulagna Das on Tue, 22/09/2020 - 08:37

Firstly why we need the persons help. The language of the email should be a requesting for help and not an obligation. If seeking time from someone, it should be flexible time and not on a fixed date and time.
Profile picture for user danisep

Submitted by danisep on Thu, 17/09/2020 - 22:14

it's not an obligation from the other part so you have to be kindness and show sympathy with the other, also you have to be clear with your message and show how important is his help for the project.

Submitted by Roblox on Mon, 07/09/2020 - 17:04

First, the reason why you are asking for help. Second, when and where exactly you need help. Third, permission from the third party involved.

Submitted by Rinaa on Thu, 03/09/2020 - 20:47

I will write the email in a polite manner. The email will include the purpose of help, the details about the project, arranged time. And also I won't forget to mention how important is his help for us.

Submitted by Re on Thu, 20/08/2020 - 06:34

Hello. There are a few things you need to include in your email when asking for help. It should include your information, date, greeting, purpose and details. It's important to send your email in a short and clear way so that the other person can understand it well. Also, don't forget to be courteous.  It's important to think about your writing in terms of the other person's feelings as you convey your requirements through text alone.

Submitted by Yuki on Mon, 17/08/2020 - 05:26

When I send an email for help, I tell the person about the purpose of the project and tell them that "I'd like to ask you for your help". If they agrees with this project, I will explain the details of this project, the day of the meeting, etc. to them and I don't forget to say thank you. I take care not to be rude to them in such emails.

Submitted by Hiyori Ueno on Mon, 17/08/2020 - 02:36

When I send an email asking for help, I will write a subject in a concise manner. For example, businessperson receive lots of emails. So if I don’t write a subject, they waste time to understand what I want to ask. In addition, when I send an email asking for help, I am careful to use the correct honorific. It’s important for my impressions.

Submitted by Natsumi Tamura on Sun, 16/08/2020 - 15:07

When I send an e-mail asking for help, I write a clear statement of what kind of help I want , and a reason why I want help. Also, I think we should ask you not to be rude.

Submitted by Akemi Matsumoto on Sun, 16/08/2020 - 06:13

In an email for help I always include the reason why I need her or his help. I think it is so important because, if you do not be clear enough on why you must be helped, the person you are asking for help might think that you just do not want to do it and, it can cause another problems. So, been clear on why you need help might be very important.

Submitted by Kaho Dokko on Fri, 14/08/2020 - 06:09

When I send an email asking for help, It's important to write the subject to the email. Then the person who was given the email can know an overview of the email. Next, I'll include the date of meeting the person. We will force us to exchange email again without the date. But I think most important thing is polite language. If there is even one thing in the email that is rude, the receiver won't want to respond to my help. So, to review my email many times before sending it and to keep in mind the polite language on a daily basis are important.

Submitted by Noyama Juri on Thu, 13/08/2020 - 17:43

When you send an email asking for help, all you need is the right purpose. Because if you don't know your purpose, you can't help.So those are important. You also have to write the date and name. I think it's polite to ask for detailed information.

Submitted by Shoma Tateishi on Thu, 13/08/2020 - 14:24

When I send an email asking for help, I'm careful not to be rude. Especially in business, I will be careful not to give bad impression and not to send uncertain information to person. In addition to that, I'll try to put title the email. By checking the title in advance, they will be able to understand the content of the email more accurately. Moreover, I try to use a polite language in the text of the email. I think it's better to use polite sentences because I ask the other person for help. In order to build a better relationship, I would like to be polite and respectful.