Talking about your job

In this video, Vanya, Emir and Paul have a training session. Listen to the language they use for talking about their jobs and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say

Do you know what to say when you talk about your job? Listen out for useful language for talking about your job. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this.

Patrick: Life is hard. Business is harder. I'm here to help you win. Do you want to be the best?

Vanya: Yeah.

Patrick: I said, DO YOU WANT TO BE THE BEST?

Paul, Emir, Vanya: Yes.

Patrick: Good. You – what's your role in the company?

Emir: I'm the head of design. I manage artists and graphic designers.

Patrick: Good. What about you?

Paul: I'm a content producer.

Patrick: What does that mean?

Paul: It means I'm responsible for writing.

Patrick: Nice. And you – what do you do?

Vanya: Social media and marketing.

Patrick: Do you like your job?

Vanya: Yeah, I love it!

Patrick: Good. BUT NOT GOOD ENOUGH! Now listen. I'm here to make you the best. And I've got four hours to do it. Stand up! Let's all close our eyes, breathe deeply and think about these two important questions. One: What's the best part of your job? And two: Do you like the people you work with? Keep those eyes closed …  breathe deep … and think …

Ana: Hello again! I don't think Emir is enjoying the training very much. So, did you notice the useful phrases used for talking about your job? Listen to me and then repeat.

What's your role in the company?

I'm the head of design.

I manage artists and graphic designers.

What about you?

I'm a content producer.

I'm responsible for writing.

What do you do?

Do you like your job?

Yes, I love it!

What's the best part of your job?

Do you like the people you work with?

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you talk about your job in English. Bye for now!

Do you need to improve your English speaking skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English speaking skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

A2 English level (pre-intermediate)

Submitted by farhadwahaj on Sat, 03/09/2022 - 07:33

Unfortunately, for now, I am not doing any work, and do not have a job meant I am jobless. I was the deputy program manager in XY company, and I was managing 30 to 40 engineers I love my job, and I missed those days at a time I had a job.

Submitted by Youssef Karfouh on Wed, 17/08/2022 - 13:12

Hi , there i 'm a web developer i studied two years of web development .
i worked as at 3 companies one of the was an international company.
Actually i really love web development because i enjoy build websites for clients and don't look for the time when i have something to do

Submitted by Nandar Su Hlaing on Wed, 10/08/2022 - 10:30

I am an accountant. I work in private company. Actually I resigned my job last month because I would like to work in abroad, Now I am trying to get a job in abroad as an accountant. And I like being an accountant in my life.

Submitted by daenaesd on Sat, 06/08/2022 - 15:00

At the moment i'm 2nd y. student. But my future profession is sociology. I don't much about my future profession. However, i belive that it will be good()

Submitted by Meneda on Sun, 03/07/2022 - 16:04

Hi dear firends !
It's a pleasure to join this community. I work in a regional council. I'm the head of social affairs, I like this job but now I wish to give a new direction to my career. My dream is to work in a international organism or NGO. That's why I decided since yesterday to improve my english in order to have some opportunities at the international jobs. Forgive me for the mistakes, I'm trying to do my best and I think I will achieve this goal.
Thank you, God Bless you !

Submitted by Kamelbenslimane on Tue, 14/06/2022 - 09:54

I'm a UX Designer and I'm passionate about this work

Submitted by amarigh_mustapha on Sat, 07/05/2022 - 23:14

I'm still student and i learn englush, i love it soo much
i like study because it's make me feel happy and better and make see things from differents points of viow

Submitted by badboyzz on Fri, 06/05/2022 - 20:15

I am strength and condition coach . I love my job.sport is part of my life. I am responsibility to improve physical performance for player. This job gives me so energy.İt's my passion.

Submitted by Than Kutay Soe on Sun, 10/04/2022 - 05:23

Actually, I have to say that I don't have a job because recently I left my job and came to Japan to study for my Ph.D. After getting a Ph.D. degree, I would like to work at a company.

Profile picture for user Silvia Lago

Submitted by Silvia Lago on Thu, 27/01/2022 - 00:49

In the moment, I'm just studying. I'm studying for a public tender. I like study because studies make me see things from different points of view. Good luck for all of us!!!

Submitted by lilly_2409 on Thu, 09/12/2021 - 15:05

I'm a student. Now I'm learning English and I love it

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Mon, 29/11/2021 - 16:31

I'm still a student. I love study and do hard work for that.

Submitted by nikta on Tue, 09/11/2021 - 07:30

I'm a cake designer. I love my job. because that is fun and make me creative.

Submitted by Trinh Dinh on Wed, 27/10/2021 - 14:34

I haven't seen the video. is there anyone else like me?

Hello Trinh Dinh,

I've checked the page and the video is working correctly, so the problem is a local one. It may be that your device has some compatibility issues or it may be a problem with your settings, or it may be a regulatory issue where you live.

You can test your device by trying to access the page on a different device - ideally a laptop or desktop - to see if this helps. You can also check your security settings, including any firewall you use, for multimedia streaming - sometimes this can help.

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Sat, 16/10/2021 - 13:28

i am university student now. however, at the same time, I have a part-time job to earn more money i think i quite like it.

Submitted by mangnb on Wed, 13/10/2021 - 14:00

Hello everyone I'm lats year student and i'm looking for a company to innern 😂

Submitted by Samqaid on Thu, 13/05/2021 - 00:08

I’m a security officer. Im responsible for security and safety to all people, their assets and property in the area of responsibilities. I prepare all security arrangements to secure trips. i provide the security escort to UN compounds, conduct a security assessments and identify the threats that may could affect the UN staff, its assets and operations, take all mitigations and preventions measures to lower the likelihood and impact . Manage the mitigation strategies to reduce the risks while the field missions. Provide a security briefing to newly employees who recently appointed. Assess the security situation in the area, Submit weekly report to Security management about any security incidents and traffic accidents. Share and collect the information related to security to DO and other INGO, other agencies, Supervise and monitor the security guards who serve at the UN office. Ensuring All MOSS, Minimum operating security standards are in place and in a compliance Ensuring all staff adhere to SOP and comply to safety and fire regulations Ensuring all equipment are available and working in a good conditions. Ensuring that CC T.V systems are in place and working well Finally, I love my job so much because it is part important to everyone who works in our organization . I probably can not describe my motivation and interests towards my work. I like to work with all teams and departments to provide the secure and convenient environment to operate and implement all programs and humanitarian activities.

Submitted by MikhailZatopliaev on Sat, 27/03/2021 - 01:26

I'm economist. I like my job, it is hard but very interesting.

Submitted by PARIMALA MADIAZHAKAN on Sat, 06/03/2021 - 12:44

Yes, I like my job very much. I couldn't describe how much I love my work.

Submitted by andresalame on Tue, 09/02/2021 - 11:49

It was not to easy but I liked it.

Submitted by Leila77 on Wed, 03/02/2021 - 17:45

I am a teacher and I really like my job.

Submitted by tenedos on Sun, 31/01/2021 - 12:18

I am working as an assistant principal in a primary school. I like it.

Submitted by Van tran on Wed, 20/01/2021 - 16:09

i work as a QA inspector at garment company, but i don't relly like it. :-(

Submitted by German on Tue, 19/01/2021 - 01:40

I´m consultant in enterprises and I like so much my job because I can learn of the enterprises and help it to improve.

Submitted by Atiya Anzum Akanda on Wed, 23/12/2020 - 08:31

Hi. I don't have a job.I am just an ordinary university student.

Submitted by fatfat on Sun, 20/12/2020 - 21:07

I am a teacher in a primary school. I like my job even though its hard. Sometimes I surprise on my own for my patien.

Submitted by Myint Haymar Lwin on Thu, 26/11/2020 - 14:09

I am IT trainer in private university. I love my job. I conduct online training session. I also review and mark the assessment of students.

Submitted by Sana Omar on Thu, 19/11/2020 - 15:44

I'm a training manager. I'm responsible for organising training programmes in the company.

Submitted by Momocompanyman on Wed, 04/11/2020 - 16:49

I'm a mechanical engineer , I like my job

Submitted by Shiv on Mon, 02/11/2020 - 15:37

I am network engineer. I Love alot my work and manage the server room and troubleshoot and configure the switch and router. I take call with ISP if any problem occurs related internet.

Submitted by Moon Wathan on Sat, 24/10/2020 - 16:40

I am a teacher in international school. I manage all children in my classroom during the school open. I don't want to be a teacher but I love my job because the children are very simple and they are great without lying and pretending.

Submitted by togrul01 on Tue, 20/10/2020 - 20:10

I am a student. And I don't work anywhere.

Submitted by Pola on Tue, 20/10/2020 - 16:11

I'm a salesman, but after covid-19 I've been a jobless, I love my job, I hope come back my job again.

Submitted by Ugulhan on Tue, 22/09/2020 - 09:59

I am a technical writer. I love my job. I manage a wide range of technical documentation in producing.

Submitted by Maria Sole Marsilio on Tue, 15/09/2020 - 15:18

Hi, I'm a payroll clerck. I like take care of my collaborators. I love my job.

Submitted by cittàutopica on Wed, 09/09/2020 - 19:06

I did several jobs in my life. I was a teacher in the middle school and in the secondary school; I worked in the law enforcement; finally I worked for my Region as executive in various sectors: cultural promotion, public libraries, education and training. I loved all these jobs and I always searched for doing my best.

Submitted by Tambur on Sun, 06/09/2020 - 15:36

I'm a lawyer. My work very hard, but intersting. I meet different people and case. Often I go to court

Submitted by wahbi on Sat, 05/09/2020 - 14:40

i am telecom engineer at the public company in my country i am team leader in my position and my work is so hard and i never have enough time to spend a time with my family, some time i was boring from my work because i feel that when i come to my office there is now something new same office same people and same routine, so that i took annual leave to change my mode with my family.

Submitted by Saish on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 10:14

I am an automation engineer and I love my job. I am designing the software for the machines that packages the medicines. I also get to travel worldwide due to my job and get the opportunity to interact with clients and engineers in different parts of the world. This way I get to know the culture, the people and lifestyle in those contries.

Submitted by konatenasty on Fri, 21/08/2020 - 20:41

I am a general administrator of a commercial on line page it means i am responsable for writing and marketing of this page. It's a job that requires a lot of team spirit and patience with a customer. I love my job.Because i always want to innovate to do better than others for the future

Submitted by Rinaa on Thu, 20/08/2020 - 23:48

I have been working as an accountant for the last two years. I love my job because I have studied this field and I found it attractive. I never get bored working with quantitative data. I love helping people with their financial issues, as I see as basic for having a successful company.

Submitted by duaa saleh 90 on Thu, 20/08/2020 - 09:34

I used to work in IT education service company, my role was systems implementation and customer support engineer, later I joined the data analysis team in the same company, manipulating data was my best part of the job, I've lost my job recently because of Coronavirus and am looking into a new opportunities.

Submitted by M19 on Mon, 17/08/2020 - 06:55

I work in the health sector and have played so many roles in this field for the last 10 years. I can't remember ever regretting becoming a healthcare worker and I love it! Of course, job challenges will always be there but also I am too resilient. I always find pleasure in the work I do especially when helping and supporting the community. We empower and advocate for positive living in all matters related to well being and health. The value of excellent health cannot be overstated and that's why we make every healthcare worker-client encounter tremendous and unforgettable. Plus, with so many areas of specialization, the opportunity to select and change roles is always there whenever I want. I can choose to take the traveling pathway or just work in an appointed station. The list is endless but those are just a few examples of career options that a graduate can select to do after college. Well, I am sure that explains why I am passionate about the work I do!

Submitted by fariba on Sun, 16/08/2020 - 10:25

i am employee. i like my job.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Mon, 27/07/2020 - 17:25

I'm a telecommunications engineer. I'm working for over 12 years in this field and I still like it. It's not an easy job, I have to know much and do lots of different tasks but it's interesting and well-payed. By the way, I came in telecommunications totally by coincidence. When I graduated from my University and didn't have a clue what to do next, a friend of mine offered me to went to an interview in some small company, which worked in telecommunications. I tried and was lucky to get a job. After that I moved to another company in this sphere and another one after a year. And I still work here.

Submitted by Phan Bao Dung on Thu, 23/07/2020 - 17:33

I worked as a Laboratory Technician at a pharmaceutical company. I keened on my job, which I started working right after graduating from university. When I had a baby, I had to work off to take care of her. Her health was not good, so I have had to work off until now. At the moment, my daughter goes to pre-school and I start looking for a new job. I hope the new job will get me more interesting and friendly colleagues.

Submitted by Asni on Sat, 18/07/2020 - 23:37

I' m not working at the moment. But, if housework is considered a job then I have been doing it for quite some time. I'm responsible for almost all household chores from doing the laundry, cooking, cleaning,...to taking care of the baby. Honestly, no, I don't like doing housework. I find it really boring but I have no choice. My husband works hard all day and is really tired in the evenings so he can't help me with that. At the weekends, he does his share of the housework and sometimes even more than that so I can't complain. I love taking care of my kid, though.
I worked as a Laboratory Technician at a pharmaceutical company. When I had a baby, I had to work off to take care of her. Her health was not good, so I have had to work off until now. I have mostly been at home for the past three years. I have done all the housework, cooking, and taken care of my daughter. I felt bored and tired very much because my husband could not share these tasks with me. Now my daughter goes to pre-school and I start looking for a new job. I hope that you will find a job that you truly enjoy when your children go to school and you have spare time to do everything that you interest in.