A phone call from a customer

Listen to the phone call from a customer to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Junko: Hello, Junko Mori speaking. How can I help you?

Andrea: Hi, Junko, it's Andrea here from Red Band. I'm calling about our latest order.

Junko: Everything arrived OK, right? We got the delivery confirmation at our end.

Andrea: Yes, everything's fine with the order. I'm calling about the invoice and the payment terms. I need a favour.

Junko: A favour? What do you need?

Andrea: This is a little, er ... difficult, but I need an extension on the payment terms. I know they're usually 30 days, but we're having some cash flow problems. You'd really be helping us out if you could extend it to 60 days.

Junko: I'm not sure if I can do that, Andrea. We've got regulations at our end, and also have to manage our own cash flow.

Andrea: I promise this won't become the norm, Junko. Actually, I also want to place another new order. The same size order as last time. It's for an important customer and they pay on delivery.

Junko: I see. So your cash flow problem will be solved after this new order is delivered.

Andrea: Exactly.

Junko: That sounds good. Hold on, Andrea. Let me see what I can do. Yes, I think we can make an exception this time.

Andrea: That's great, Junko. I appreciate your help.

Junko: And we appreciate your business, Andrea. It works both ways.

Andrea: Thanks again, Junko. Can you send me a quick email confirmation of the payment terms extension?

Junko: Sure, no problem. We're happy to help you.

Andrea: Great. And I'll email you the new order.

Junko: Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it. Talk to you soon.

Andrea: You too. Goodbye.

Submitted by Mary Sullcahuaman on Tue, 21/04/2020 - 15:40

Hello, everyone! I have just registered to this course. After a long time I am a student again and I am so happy. Well, in reference to the question, I am not a businesswoman but in a daily basis I do favours and make exceptions. It makes you feel good when you help people.

Submitted by JuanManuelLopezGil on Mon, 20/04/2020 - 23:58

Of course but first, they must understand that not-always will be so.

Submitted by Guwen on Mon, 20/04/2020 - 14:22

I don't have any clients. But in the future, if I need to make exceptions and do favours, I will surely do if it's for an important and regular client. I think it's a good way to improve loyal relationship between clients and suppliers.

Submitted by SANDRA YINNET on Sat, 18/04/2020 - 17:10

Hi, in my company es very frecuencly that aor costumer we need exceptions with your orders, or delivery or send of your products, is very commun that they request our help any moment, in our country is important we have happy a our clients for the competence is big.

Submitted by Kadir on Fri, 17/04/2020 - 20:09

I was trying to understand to improve my listening skill. These audios helped me very much. At the beginning I didn’t understand the speeches. I could do text practices all correctly but my listening was bad. They were too fast for me. Because, firstly I was trying to translate it in my mind to my native language. Meanwhile, the speakers were continuing to talk. It was too hard. Then I started to listen to A1 audios first, then listened again and again. Then I tried to write the dialogues which I heard. And day to day, I started to understand better than the previous times. Nowadays I am listening to B1 audios. That’s very fast compared to A1. I recommend to everyone who tries to improve English. Firstly, don’t be afraid of to learn a foreign language. Secondly, listen, listen, listen and listen… Thirdly, try to write the dialogues which you heard without looking at the transcript. Then compare the text you write with the transcript. You will see that your skill is improving. Meanwhile I have some advice for English citizens. :)) Please don’t say “I’ll, you’d, they’ve, she’ll etc. Say I will, you would, they have, she will etc. That’s easier for us to understand. :))

Submitted by Albalera on Fri, 17/04/2020 - 17:30

This listenig was easy for me. I did the exercise 1 and 2 very well. For the next time I will choose the next level of listening. However I learned some new vocabulary related to the money. It like it

Submitted by Marc García 3rdE on Fri, 17/04/2020 - 10:41

I think this listening was easy for me because I did it ver well. I also did both task 1 and 2 and I put the answers all correct. For the next time, I will choose a listening a bit more difficult. However, I learned some new vocabulary related to the money and deliveries. It was fun.

Submitted by Nova on Thu, 16/04/2020 - 18:27

I did a lot of favour to my customers.Even they didn't paid the previous invoices, they made a new order.

Submitted by Ahmed Salem on Wed, 15/04/2020 - 21:13

For sure , I did a lot of favor to my clients.

Submitted by gstavale on Wed, 15/04/2020 - 03:43

I don´t have any opportunity to do favors or make exceptions for important clients

Submitted by Nazra on Sat, 11/04/2020 - 11:54

No, I don't. It's really helpful. Thanks.

Submitted by Wadoodp on Fri, 03/04/2020 - 14:30

I don't have any clients:)

Submitted by Elliot on Wed, 01/04/2020 - 22:19

Hello, how can I add the answers for the Task 2 ???

Hello Elliot

When you want to add another sentence to a box, you have to click or press on the small white hand at the side of the word already in the box. If you don't do this, then the new world will stay but the old word will disappear from the box.

It's a little difficult to explain, so please let me know if you'd like me to explain it again.

All the best

Submitted by ducminhdang123 on Wed, 01/04/2020 - 15:12

"You'd really be helping us out if you could extend it to 60 days." What is the grammar of "Would + be + helping"? Thanks for your help, everyone!

Hello ducminhdang123,

Modal verbs like would are followed by the infinitive, but there are different forms of the infinitive:

You would help (bare infinitive)

You would be helping (continuous infinitive)

You would have helped (perfect infinitive)

Submitted by Ginapepa on Mon, 30/03/2020 - 22:32

sure, I made a lot favor to my clients like I have changed the days of our meetings or sometime I have accepted to canceled it

Submitted by noentropica on Mon, 30/03/2020 - 00:55

I never made an extension with important customer because i don't work with costumers. I worked a few years like waitress and i could allow to costumer to pay another day o more later, like a favour but without oficial payment terms.

Submitted by theguest22 on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 13:10

Hello, I have question about this sentence ( we've got regulations at our end) 1. That tense is use in this sentence? 2. why don't use , we going to get instead we've got

Hello theguest22

The verb 'have got' in this sentence is in the present simple; it means the same thing as 'have'. It's grammatically possible to say 'we're going to get' instead of 'we've got', but it means something different: it refers to the future and it speaks of receiving ('get') instead of having ('have got').

All the best

Submitted by Kinki on Wed, 25/03/2020 - 06:49

Thanks for yr support

Submitted by Sergio F. on Wed, 25/03/2020 - 01:11

In times of COVID-19 a lot of Companies will need to make exceptions. God bless us!

Submitted by Hoàng Nhung on Fri, 20/03/2020 - 07:51

Yes I do. I used to make exceptions for important clients anytime they want to change a advertising schedule.

Submitted by jason2295 on Wed, 18/03/2020 - 00:09

Yes, I do. Our clients usually ask for favours and they ask for exception of the term, but only if we can do that exception and it doesn't affect the normal activities.

Submitted by Sara on Mon, 16/03/2020 - 12:28

In my work, i'm trying to not make any differences between the different customers but sometimes i'm like come on just for once I can do a favour no ? And I'm saying to myself if I was at their place I will be very disappointed if someone refused me to make a exception especially if it's the first time.

Submitted by Ammaraf on Sun, 08/03/2020 - 07:45

Actually yes since I am working as Contract engineer, I am in poison where can I give a favor to the suppliers and sub contractors, but only those whose need a help not the lazy people.

Submitted by Dr DUCET on Wed, 04/03/2020 - 23:54

hello there, i'll start by thanks those administrators who built this platform as my answer for that question, some time i'm doing the favours or make exceptions for important clients thanks

Submitted by Mahmoud on Mon, 02/03/2020 - 09:33

thank you British council for your effort . I am happy to write my first comment .

Submitted by vilma caram on Mon, 24/02/2020 - 15:17

It is really strong tools for learning english. I'm very glad and grateful for your plataform.

Submitted by Ainur on Mon, 24/02/2020 - 11:10

I have never faced with such situations, but I think that if I would be a supplier and have important and permanent clients, then possibly I make an exceptions for them.

Submitted by Laila Ben Lamine on Mon, 24/02/2020 - 08:25

thanks britsh council for all the cours it's great

Submitted by Nikolaos Stavr… on Sat, 22/02/2020 - 16:23

I have my own company, some of my clients are very important and it's quite common for some of them to ask for an extension of the payment terms. So, if I don't have cash flow issues I'm happy to make an exception.

Submitted by Israa Moha on Wed, 12/02/2020 - 18:20

Actually, yes, I do because I am a teacher and I have a good and very diligent students if these students have some accidental accidents, I might give them exceptions. As well as the people who deal with special customer, I think it is big mistake to loose him.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Sat, 08/02/2020 - 14:57

I am a teacher and it is very happened that I direct my students for their homework assignment but usually have not any preference or exception for anyone.

Submitted by Denchik on Fri, 07/02/2020 - 20:09

Hi, my name is Denys, and I think British Council it is the better English teacher than other programs becouse I think so

Submitted by Ayzhan on Tue, 04/02/2020 - 17:43

If I were in the same company, I will do exceptions for important clients

Submitted by pacha809 on Wed, 29/01/2020 - 13:38

In his phone, Andrea says: Actually, I also want to place another new order. The same size order as last time. And in the task 1.4, the answer is false. I don't understand.

Hello pacha809

Task 1.4 is half true and half false: 'Andrea has a new order to place ...' is true, but the rest ('even bigger than the last one.') is false because what he says is 'Actually, I also want to place another new order. The same size order as last time.'

Since 1.4 is not all true, it is false. Does that make sense?

All the best

Hello khmax

It's a great idea to listen to the audio twice or even more times. I would encourage you to use a dictionary because you can learn so much from checking words in it.

I'm afraid we don't correct students' writing, but if you have a specific question about a specific sentence, please feel free to ask.

All the best

Submitted by masoma123 on Tue, 14/01/2020 - 21:49

yes if he or she be my important customers ,I will extend the payment term.I know cash flow is important but my customer is most important then it.

Submitted by walidel7 on Sun, 12/01/2020 - 17:13

I am very happy when I can listen to the recording and answer 100% correctly , my progress in English incredible. In 2019 i was set plan to passing IELTS exam but unfortunately I didn't achieve my goal because I am prepare my dissertation in pediatric nursing and my title is "Medication errors in pediatric hospital, main causes and leading factor and attitude and report from nurses opinion. I hope to every one here to achieve his dreams in 2020 . Much appreciated to British council for helping us. kind regards

Submitted by RuthY on Mon, 06/01/2020 - 18:10

Yes, I do when necessary.

Submitted by itsyahya_wc on Wed, 01/01/2020 - 17:21

In my idea, all of us should support together in each field.

Submitted by Fikymaulana on Sat, 28/12/2019 - 08:28

When I was a Credit Marketing Officer in finance company. Sometimes I need to assist my costumer, particulary the customer which I have known for a long time and they are had good payment. I had paid my costomer instalment with my cash. Definitly, My costumer paid back my money after several time.