Meeting new people

In this video, Vanya meets Emir and Yuna. Listen to the language they use for meeting new people and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say!

Do you know what to say when you meet new people? Listen out for useful language for meeting new people. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this.

Vanya: Hi.

Emir: Hello.

Vanya: Are you Paul?

Emir: No, I'm not. But he asked me to meet you. I'm Emir. You must be Vanya.

Vanya: Yes, I am. Nice to meet you.

Emir: You too. Can I show you the office?

Vanya: Perfect. Thanks.

Emir: So how was your journey?

Vanya: It was fine and it's great to be here!

Emir: Well, it's great to have you here. Can I get you a coffee?

Vanya: Oh, yes, please.

Emir: Ah, Yuna, this is Vanya.

Yuna: Oh, hi, I'm Yuna. Nice to meet you. Welcome to the team!

Ana: Hello again! That went well. OK, did you notice the useful phrases used for meeting new people? Listen to me and then repeat.

Hi, I'm Yuna.

You must be Vanya.

Nice to meet you.

You too.

This is Vanya.

So how was your journey?

It's great to be here!

Welcome to the team!

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you meet new people in English. Bye for now!

Do you need to improve your English speaking skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English speaking skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

Submitted by Van tran on Sun, 10/01/2021 - 14:59

yes, i like meeting new people but i have a bit shy, i want to talk with many people to research other cultural in the world.

Submitted by German on Fri, 08/01/2021 - 23:44

I like so much meeting new people. I like to speak with another person and leanr new thinks about other people.

Submitted by Larissa330 on Mon, 21/12/2020 - 22:05

Yes, I do. Every single day

Submitted by Pann Nilar Htun on Mon, 21/12/2020 - 13:18

Yes, I like meeting with new people and I often meet with them. Because I need to work with many person from different fields. At the meeting, in the training and big events, I normally meet new people.

Submitted by Maria19 on Sun, 20/12/2020 - 12:19

Well I really like meeting new people and making more connections.

Submitted by Aliz on Sat, 19/12/2020 - 08:07

Yes, I really like meeting new people because I can know general knowledge about their countries and towns. I can get new friends.

Submitted by Ella on Fri, 18/12/2020 - 09:06

Yes, of course I like meeting new people around the world because I can know about their native towns and countries and I can increase many experiences.

Submitted by Hla Htwan Tin on Thu, 17/12/2020 - 05:03

Yes,I do.I prefer meeting new people who give me advice.

Submitted by hasan.kumek on Wed, 16/12/2020 - 16:44

Yes, I do. I think it is a great thing to meet new people. Because we are social animals so we have to meet with who we love and care about.

Submitted by heri sinaga on Mon, 14/12/2020 - 05:52

Yes, because meet the new people could be make some links and network in your live

Submitted by JUSTIN KORO on Sun, 29/11/2020 - 14:21

I really like meeting new people around the world and i exchange my life, my culture with them. I'll be very delight when i meet new people and i get new friends.

Submitted by mrelvinaliyev on Sat, 28/11/2020 - 07:55

Yes I like meeting new people because it is good way to increase experiences. Also I can learn something new things from them.

Submitted by IngDiegoHL on Mon, 23/11/2020 - 04:13

yeah, I like to meet new people because it is a good way to learn new things.

Submitted by mrelvinaliyev on Sat, 07/11/2020 - 18:58

Yeah I like meeting with new people because new friends are new experiences.

Submitted by Kaique Machado on Tue, 03/11/2020 - 02:09

Yes i like meeting new people

Submitted by Lilly098 on Sun, 25/10/2020 - 19:30

I love meeting new people because I can always learn something new. But I am so introvert that I can not talk in a group. I prefer to interact with new people in person.

Submitted by Thair Theint T… on Fri, 23/10/2020 - 03:46

Thanks. This lesson is very useful for me. My listening & speaking skill is more improved.

Submitted by guitardude on Thu, 22/10/2020 - 21:16

Hello, can you please tell me is this sentence correct or not ? And why ? Emir offers to show the office to Anya

Hello guitardude,

Yes, that sentence is fine, grammatically speaking. Of course, whether or not it is appropriate will depend on the context in which it is used and the intention of the speaker.

Submitted by alexiaimogen on Wed, 21/10/2020 - 07:13

Yes of course, but sometimes I've got a little bit nervous at first.

Submitted by Nurieta on Thu, 15/10/2020 - 15:11

Well, I like to meet new people, but recognize it is a little bit embarrassing, because you have to talk to different things,.....What do you like? what do you do? Do you like black or white? ... ummm

Submitted by Victor Hugo Fl… on Wed, 14/10/2020 - 19:56

Of course, I like to meet new people, I enjoy talking and working with more people

Submitted by togrul01 on Sun, 11/10/2020 - 20:27

Yes, I do. In my opinion, new friends are new experiences.

Submitted by Eyasin Arafat on Sun, 11/10/2020 - 08:00

Yeah. I like to meet with new friend. It's a pleasure to me. Meeting with new friends is not only knowing a new name or see a new face, it will help me to know new culture, new language. I appratiate this. It gathers new experience.

Submitted by shawn peter ru… on Sat, 10/10/2020 - 08:06

i am introvert but i like meet the people and make friends that they are not loser and have common idea with me because when we try have relationship with every one it cause that we lose ourr way and forget our dream and goals i just say that we should be with people that they are not usual and loser and they have not just normal life and they are special. i like this type of people and freinds.

Submitted by Moon Wathan on Fri, 09/10/2020 - 13:35

Yes, I like to meet new people but sometimes, I don't like because meeting with new people make me confused.

Submitted by habibao.medo on Tue, 06/10/2020 - 12:17

i like to meet new people but i can't talk with them cause i am a little bit shy and i don't know what to say

Hi habibao.medo,

I understand your feeling! I hope you found some good things to say in the video above.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Submitted by Hyuka on Fri, 25/09/2020 - 15:39

To be honost, I'm an introvert so I enjoy staying alone or on my own.And, I feel uncomfortable whenever I meet new people cuz I don't know how to start the conversation and I'm few words person.However, I sometime like to meet new people cuz it's fun and we can share ideas and thoughs each other.

Submitted by Carlos Cabrera on Wed, 23/09/2020 - 13:44

Hi. I like new people. Each person is a new experience and it's an opportunity to exploring a different culture.
Profile picture for user danisep

Submitted by danisep on Sat, 19/09/2020 - 23:39

There is people with the ability to make friends at any place, I just want to build strong relationships with people to propelling my abilities and make us better each other

Submitted by Lena on Sun, 13/09/2020 - 08:11

Not always. Meeting someone new often makes me feel nervous but I'm trying to do my best and be positive about it.

Submitted by mauld on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 01:15

Yes, I do. But I'm sometimes meeting new people, so I actually love them.

Submitted by Pola on Mon, 07/09/2020 - 19:39

Yes, I do but when I meet a new one I being confused and worried

Submitted by Márcio S. dos Santos on Thu, 27/08/2020 - 03:34

Really love meeting new people.A chance to know new culture.

Submitted by Saish on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 08:03

Yes, I do like meeting new people. I like to strike a conversation with new people and like to know them better. Bright and positive people always interest me. I like to know people to know about the ideas, the talent they carry within themselves.

Submitted by HeinHtetKyaw on Sun, 23/08/2020 - 22:52

HI, everybody,! I like meeting new people cheerful in any situation

Submitted by Inesines on Fri, 07/08/2020 - 18:53

I'm an intovert, but I don't mind meeting new people.

Submitted by fariba on Wed, 29/07/2020 - 07:06

no. i don't like it because i feel nervous.
Profile picture for user Ivanox76

Submitted by Ivanox76 on Wed, 29/07/2020 - 05:14

I don't really enjoy meeting new people, unless they're particularly interesting persons.

Submitted by M19 on Mon, 27/07/2020 - 12:23

Sometimes, under certain circumstances and for a common goal. An obvious situation is at work when new staff are recruited and they need an orientation of the systems or departments. Perhaps and if I am allocated to do this, then I would have no choice but to first to introduce myself even though I usually don't like meeting new people.

Submitted by Phan Bao Dung on Tue, 21/07/2020 - 17:36

Yes, I do. This is an opportunity for me to have new friends.

Submitted by Benatawa on Mon, 20/07/2020 - 16:39

Yes, it's always a treasure to meet new people. It gives you a chance to see things differently and helps to broaden your horizons!